• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

Just be aware brotherhood and revelations are pretty much the same game as 2. If you try to play them after each other, you will burn out and fast. Having to wait is not a bad thing at all.

suffered from this, stopped playing brotherhood, have revelations untouched since launch

I'll go back eventually

I was really critic of Limbo when I played it, perhaps because everyone overhyped it for me and I was expecting little masterpiece. Now, a year later or so, I really think it was a solid experience with great puzzles that never got repetitive, and that's something you can't really say for many modern games with this structure. It's also pretty haunting throughout the whole length.
It's weird, I think it really has grown on me during these months of not thinking back about the game at all.

I'm not too fond of Limbo as a whole, I find it falls a little too much on the wrong side of trial and error - there are puzzles in that game there's almost no way you'll pass first time through no fault of your own.
The early bait and - literally - switch, for example, where the switch drops the rock on you, then in the second part the area around the switch will drop it.
If I recall correctly there are no real visual hints at this and it will kill you.

Game's short, too, and once you enter the
industrial
area it loses all of its individuality and becomes just a generic block-pushing platformer that just happens to be in silhouette.

For all my complaints I did enjoy it - the beginning parts are great, the entire midsection drags and it picks up again when
the world starts rotating
. It's about two to three hours if you don't know what you're doing, and you probably won't want to play it again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The only other two options that come to mind are:

- Bumping the Overclock.net thread/SPUF thread, asking if anybody still has the fixed files, or Edit: Apparently, the fix was incorporated into a patch. Are you absolutely sure the game is up-to-date? When I re-downloaded The Witcher 2 late last year, Steam managed to deliver me v1.0 rather than v1.whateverthelatestversionwasathetime (may have been 2.0, actually).
- Try your luck with a cracked version

So I should redownload it then? Verifying cache doesn't seem to show any trouble.

Bluth54

Lucky for me there isn't much on that list of games removed from Steam that I still want, just The Movies and the Godfather games.

Boss Doggie

Hooray! I found the solution.

Apparently the latest Physx was causing the problem, so I uninstalled it and used the one provided by Metro 2033. Now that and Divinity 2 work now!

Tomodachi

Just finished Assassin's Creed II. It definitely got me hooked to the series, now I want to get Brotherhood and Revelations. A shame I didn't get them when they were so cheap, but I wasn't sure I would like ACII. I hope it will go to the same price during the Summer Sale.
Good thing you didn't, let it rest for a couple months. Too much AssCreed can really overburn the appeal of the series.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Rather because Ubi stopped supporting their games.

Well, no, not exactly: in the case of Anno 1404, Ubi provided a later patch for the retail and non-Steam DD versions of the game, but the Steam version itself was left at v1.2.

Remfin

I believe a lack of a patch wasn't the only thing going on with Steam Anno, I think they had tons of cdkey problems too. At least anyone who got it from Gamersgate went through that annoyance of 3+ rounds from the publisher just to get working CDKeys (including some that "worked" but the patch programs would not see them as legit)

1-D_FTW

Forgot about Outrun until you guys started mentioning it here. Got it for 1.99, but never really got into it. But gave it a go in 3D and it's pretty sweet now.

so, I am getting a little bored with the basic steam skin, does anyone know a good place to look for new skins for steam?

PixelVision is the best looking skin IMO

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914848

TnMaS.jpg

MasLegio

Banned
any way to have categories and favourites not being reset randomly?

I see people setting up categories in this thread but this is totally useless for me since Steam randomly resets everything.
Any way to prevent this?

I think I get these resets because I use Steam on two computers (my stationary and my laptop).

Ledsen

any way to have categories and favourites not being reset randomly?

I see people setting up categories in this thread but this is totally useless for me since Steam randomly resets everything.
Any way to prevent this?

I think I get these resets because I use Steam on two computers (my stationary and my laptop).

You can back up a folder called "7" somewhere in the Steam folder and just put it back if your categories disappear. Also, it tends to happen if you use Steam on multiple computers and don't close Steam on one computer before logging in on another. It has to do with cloud sync of categories as I understand it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is not strictly Steam-related, but does anyone know why enabling V-sync in Source games such as HL2 (which I can of course max out at 60 fps) always gives me mouse lag, whereas enabling it in far newer and more demanding games doesn't make that happen? It's pretty annoying to have to play those old games without V-sync in order for them to feel responsive.

This is not strictly Steam-related, but does anyone know why enabling V-sync in Source games such as HL2 (which I can of course max out at 60 fps) always gives me mouse lag, whereas enabling it in far newer and more demanding games doesn't make that happen? It's pretty annoying to have to play those old games without V-sync in order for them to feel responsive.

I have the same issue, mouse feels weird in Portal 2 with V Sync, gotta turn it off :(

Ledsen

I guess HL2 doesn't have triple buffering?

Boss Doggie

Anyone recommend other skins? That one is sexy btw

It's my first time putting in a custom skin. Where does one put them?

JaseC

That's just how Source is at present. Portal 2's default settings for my system include triple buffering and the accompanying input lag is tremendously high. The good news is that most Source games support fps_max, which you can use to lock the framerate to 60fps with v-sync disabled.

It's my first time putting in a custom skin. Where does one put them?

[Steam directory]\skins\[skin sub-folder] (e.g. PixelVision installs to Steam\skins\PixelVision).

Blizzard

Banned
Regarding vsync, try turning off vsync and triple buffering in the source game, and running D3DOverrider (from the Rivatuner package) externally. It might help. Seemed to cause issues with ArmA II / DayZ though.

I bought it a long time ago on Direct2Drive, the game didn't run, it's broken, you can't run it on newer PCs, it's a shame because it's a good game! :(
Stubbs the Zombie actually was one of the more unique and entertaining zombie games I've ever played, with a lot of humor and a crazy variety of gameplay mechanics. Sadly it had issues like automatic saving and no save slots (I missed some cutscene by pressing a button and couldn't get back to it), and I wasn't good enough to ever beat the final boss. And of course the hardware incompatibility.

I own the soundtrack too.

I think it has the most dramatic third-person urination scene I've ever played in a game.

ShaneB

Isn't there something wonky with pixelvision where it breaks some feature? am I thinking of another neat skin, I can't keep track of all the wackiness. I know I asked earlier for a skin to simply have a different colour scheme besides the Steam Black.

JaseC

Isn't there something wonky with pixelvision where it breaks some feature? am I thinking of another neat skin, I can't keep track of all the wackiness. I know I asked earlier for a skin to simply have a different colour scheme besides the Steam Black.

Not that I'm aware of. The author does a great job of updating the skin when a Steam client update breaks it.

On 1.8 version of PixelVision I could barely use the Paypal interface that pops up when you are buying from Steam. It was in a tiny little window and almost impossible to navigate. But it is no problem to just go back to the default skin when you need to buy something. Takes like 10 seconds for Steam to switch the skin and reboot.

The version I linked to is 1.8.3 so it might not even have that issue anymore.

Boss Doggie

[Steam directory]\skins\[skin sub-folder] (e.g. PixelVision installs to Steam\skins\PixelVision).

Thanks, man I love the skin , why didn't I use this before? <3

With that said I looked at Game Banana for other skins, they're all crap.

Spazo

Thanks, man I love the skin , why didn't I use this before? <3

With that said I looked at Game Banana for other skins, they're all crap.

don't forget to put font from the skin to your windows font folder (in control panel)

another skin that I really liked before finding PixelVision is Enhanced Steam by TDD

ShaneB

Not that I'm aware of. The author does a great job of updating the skin when a Steam client update breaks it.

On 1.8 version of PixelVision I could barely use the Paypal interface that pops up when you are buying from Steam. It was in a tiny little window and almost impossible to navigate. But it is no problem to just go back to the default skin when you need to buy something. Takes like 10 seconds for Steam to switch the skin and reboot.

The version I linked to is 1.8.3 so it might not even have that issue anymore.

Ah, that would be the issue. Perhaps I'll finally try it out if it's not that big a deal.

Why did they they pulled Stubbs the Zombie?

Disney bought Wide Load Games and owns the IP. None of Disney's games are on steam for whatever reason.

The game does still work but only on older video cards. At least reliable so. Some have success with custom nvidia profiles. I played it on a Geforce 4600 last year.

Regarding vsync, try turning off vsync and triple buffering in the source game, and running D3DOverrider (from the Rivatuner package) externally. It might help. Seemed to cause issues with ArmA II / DayZ though.

Stubbs the Zombie actually was one of the more unique and entertaining zombie games I've ever played, with a lot of humor and a crazy variety of gameplay mechanics. Sadly it had issues like automatic saving and no save slots (I missed some cutscene by pressing a button and couldn't get back to it), and I wasn't good enough to ever beat the final boss. And of course the hardware incompatibility.

I own the soundtrack too.

I think it has the most dramatic third-person urination scene I've ever played in a game.

Bro I loved this game (I played it on my old rig) and I must say that it's the best zombie game (I think it was the first game to play as a Zombie)... as I said it's a shame that this game it's not compatible with newer PCs.... but indeed it's a good game!

Old?

Worms&#8482; Reloaded free-to-play weekend on Steam and 66% off too!

Team17 is pleased to offer Steam users the opportunity to demonstrate their destructive, multiplayer Worms&#8482; skills for free!

Worms Reloaded will be available as a free to-play-download via Steam starting Thursday May 31st at 10am PST through to Sunday June 3rd at 1pm PST. This special, multi-player only version of the game will allow veterans and new-comers to experience, first-hand, the madcap world of Worms&#8482; and pit their skills against both their closest friends and deadliest enemies.

What&#8217;s more, players that catch the Worms&#8482; Reloaded bug (or those that have already got that particular itch) can benefit from a whopping 66% off all Worms&#8482; Reloaded content - be it the full game or the DLC packs! This outstanding offer will run from Thursday May 31st at 10am PST through to Monday June 4th at 10am PST.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=worms+reloaded

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's just how Source is at present. Portal 2's default settings for my system include triple buffering and the accompanying input lag is tremendously high. The good news is that most Source games support fps_max, which you can use to lock the framerate to 60fps with v-sync disabled.

Cool, I'll have to try that. Is the best way to do this to create an autoexec.cfg file and add the commands there?

EDIT: Hmm, can't quite get it to stop tearing using that command. With fps_max 60, the tearing is restricted to a thin "band" which slowly creeps up the screen, doesn't seem like it's quite syncing up to my screen's refresh rate. I've also tried 59 and 61, but they all make the tearing worse than when just not limiting the framerate at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom