• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it's officially official that Mass Effect 3 won't be on Steam until Valve plays ball. Also: Origin is required. Also: Fuck.

On the bright side there aren't any install limits and it won't require an uninterrupted internet connection (unless you're playing multiplayer, of course).

I'm going to consider myself done with this series after ME2 then. I have plenty of other games to play and if I had to pick an EA game on Steam, I'd rather have Kingdoms of Amalur anyway. *shrug*

inky

First of all, Origin isn't competing with Steam as it was back then. It's competing with Steam the way it is now.

Second, Origin isn't new. It's just a new name for the EA Download Manager software, which has been around for years. (When Origin "launched" it literally just updated the EADM client to say "Origin Beta" with no other changes.) EA has had plenty of time to get their act together.

Third, EA is all about throwing shit to the wall to see what sticks, and also to see what shit they can get away with. Origin is in it's infancy sure, and while EA is making a big push for it right now, you never know what their future commitment to the platform will be like. Come new consoles, they might as well just ignore it again, or take into any other awful direction.

I don't mind it atm, I own some games on there but I'd like to keep it there just as a way to keep my downloads organized, not launch it every time I want to play a game. I don't want to keep a separate friends list either.

naib

I have BF3 added to my Steam library. So it launches Origin, which launches my browser, which launches BF3. Inception.gif, etc.

I don't hate Origin per se. I just like being able to launch all my games from the same place and I hate running more apps that I have to.

Rufus

It's not so much avoiding multiple purchases, although that's a concern too. It's also about stuff like--sometimes I don't know what to play so I just look at my list. If I have to go rooting around to find games, they won't be considered there. I only want to run one client, so I have no desire to buy things on something else with a client. I don't want too many companies to have my credit card (in fact, I use Paypal on Steam so even Valve doesn't have my info). When I format, I want to be able to redownload easily instead of remembering to go back to the other sites and redownloading.

As of right now I have an awkward "DRM-free indie game installers" folder on my computer from Indie Bundles having stuff. But from that GetGamesGo bundle some of them have DRM so some of those installers might not work.

And any perceived price benefit is phony; a game that goes on sale for $19 on D2D or Impulse will go on sale for $19 or less on Steam. Maybe not at the same time. Maybe not in the same sale. But if you're like most of us and you treat Steam like a "buffet" in that rather than actively intending to purchase X, Y, and Z you more see what comes down to the pipe and purchase as stuff gets cheap/appealing enough, having to wait for a spring sale for Steam to match the price from the winter sale on D2D or whatever is not a big deal.

Personally I also own all the consoles and I'm not really picky about control or graphical fidelity so if it's a game like ME3 which is Origin-works on PC, I'll just get the 360 version. It being Origin-works means I have no faith the DLC will ever go on sale, especially considering ME2's situation, so there's no price advantage to buying on PC versus on console.
Those are all fair points, though the majority aren't really a concern to me. I keep a separate list to track my depressingly large backlog. Clients don't really bother me much, Impulse/GameStop's doesn't even need to be running, but I only have a half-dozen games there anyway. I don't even own a credit card (though it would be useful to at least get a debit card, but eh...), so that's not something I need to think about. I keep back-ups of the installers on an external drive, which are culled every once in a while, when I've played the game and decided that it's one of those that I'm never going to touch again. Sounds like a bother, but in the end it'll be faster than having to re-download. The DRM'd installers could be an issue, yeah, but I'm not worried yet. GameFly gobbling up D2D is is of more immediate interest to me. I've backed up the games I care about, but we'll see if the online activation on titles they can't immediately migrate to GameFly is going to be turned off. I see no reason why they would, but you never know.

You are definitely right about games going on sale on Steam eventually. I've been holding back on purchasing more games lately (Holiday sale doesn't count!), the backlog is always in the back of my mind these days. I will make exceptions for games I feel like playing right now, but I'll definitely be slowing down in the future. The draw of dirt cheap games is ever present. "Why not get it now?" has lead to some late night impulse buys... Nothing I regret so far however.

Ah, ME3. Not optimistic about that one, but I want to transfer my stupid save file (I know it's not going to mean much in the end, but I've dragged my goody-two shoes Shep through two games now...) and the PC version is going to be cheaper out of the gate (gonna get a physical copy from the UK). Wouldn't really save anything on DLC either by going console, since I'd likely need a Gold subscription to take advantage of any sale. Then there's the whole console shooter thing. I'm never really comfortable aiming with a stick, so I avoid shooters on consoles whenever possible.

Joe Molotov

I love EA's company line on why it doesn't support Steam anymore:

Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

If you've played ME2 on the PC, you'll recall that EA's "interaction" with the customers was to try to get you to go to their shittily designed website, buy some shitty moon dollars, and then use them to buy some shitty DLC. Apparently being able to buy DLC in a way that makes modicum of since is restricting their ability to provide Mass Effect players with the best possible experience.

EA, WE DON'T WANT TO INTERACT WITH YOU, WE JUST WANT TO PLAY SOME DAMN GAMES.

Sanic

So i've been playing some APB Reloaded, and while i'm finding the game to actually be pretty awesome, I can't help but be dissapointed with how much the game shoves down your throat the "premium account" stuff. TF2 has spoiled me, I suppose.

edit: I also have a 33% off coupon for Saints Row The Third that I no longer need. Anyone want to trade for it? TF2 hat(s) maybe?

So i've been playing some APB Reloaded, and while i'm finding the game to actually be pretty awesome, I can't help but be dissapointed with how much the game shoves down your throat the "premium account" stuff. TF2 has spoiled me, I suppose.

edit: I also have a 33% off coupon for Saints Row The Third that I no longer need. Anyone want to trade for it? TF2 hat(s) maybe?

I'll take it for free. >_>;; Or coupons...

Danj

I don't hate Origin per se. I just like being able to launch all my games from the same place and I hate running more apps that I have to.

I agree with this man. The vast majority of the games I own are on Steam and while it's not going to stop me buying ME3 anyway, I really wish Valve and EA would just make friends already. Surely all this whining about "terms too restrictive" actually just means "add an extra nought to the big fat check"? C'mon guys sort it out.

Pirabear

Banned

Don't have many hats, but I would like the coupon. Maybe hats+some ref?

EDIT: Whoops, lol

VALIS

You can add non steam games to steam, then they are in your list. Problem solved.

Not only that, if you want to remember what games you have on other services that aren't currently installed on your PC, just create a dummy .exe in explorer with the relevant detail like

Mess Effect 3 (Origin).exe
Baldur's Gate II (GOG).exe

and link them in the Steam client.

You can even registry edit an icon on it if you want.

QDo72.png

Woo ha! Magic!

Domstercool

Dustforce is indeed pretty damn fun!! Managed to play a preview copy the other day. It made me have to show off my mad platforming skills, lol.

Kifimbo

Well, I have the game and I don't see that option. Maybe I'm blind, maybe the 360 controller isn't supported or maybe it's gonna be added tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom