• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

I was told in the amalur thread it's origin only, so bleh to that.

Somebody mentioned Curt Schilling mentioning in a tweet that it would definitely be on Steam somewhere. Can't remember where I saw it though.

After searching:

http://forums.techieanalyst.net/f90/kingdoms-amalur-coming-steam-eventually-5203/

Which links to:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?1427-Reckoning-Pre-Order-Numbers/page9

Edit: Oh wait, you guys are talking about the fucking DEMO? Jesus, just download it on Origin.

header_292x136.jpg

Evochron Mercenary - $20 (-20%)

I'm a sucker for free-roaming space games, I'll keep my eye on it.

As of right now I have an awkward "DRM-free indie game installers" folder on my computer from Indie Bundles having stuff.

I sort all my bundle emails with the links to the download pages into a special folder on Gmail, lol.

Personally I also own all the consoles and I'm not really picky about control or graphical fidelity so if it's a game like ME3 which is Origin-works on PC, I'll just get the 360 version. It being Origin-works means I have no faith the DLC will ever go on sale, especially considering ME2's situation, so there's no price advantage to buying on PC versus on console.

Yeah, given that I bought all the ME2 DLC at 80% off on 360 I'm actually much more confident in it going on sale there than on Origin.

Nabs

I sort all my bundle emails with the links to the download pages into a special folder on Gmail, lol.

Yeah, given that I bought all the ME2 DLC at 80% off on 360 I'm actually much more confident in it going on sale there than on Origin.

When Origin has a storewide sale, you can buy Bioware Moonbucks. I don't know much about it, but it may also work for 360 dlc.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
When Origin has a storewide sale, you can buy Bioware Moonbucks. I don't know much about it, but it may also work for 360 dlc.

Yeah, I did the same. I stocked up on points while they were half off, so I don't have to sweat the DLC situation, but it's certainly a lousy alternative to buying the DLC through Steam. It's almost as bad as Games For Windows Marketplace (now Xbox.com). I feel like a total dingus for buying Arkham City outside of Steam, since now Xbox.com the only place I can buy the ludicrously overpriced DLC from, and they don't bother with putting up any worthwhile sales.

edit - but then again, unlike Bioware Social, Microsoft actually let you use REAL LIFE money to purchase content which is nice.

Derrick01

Banned
Bull.

It was in the registry right?

Fuck ea if true.

Hell, fuck ea anyway.

Somebody mentioned Curt Schilling mentioning in a tweet that it would definitely be on Steam somewhere. Can't remember where I saw it though.

After searching:

http://forums.techieanalyst.net/f90/kingdoms-amalur-coming-steam-eventually-5203/

Which links to:

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/showthread.php?1427-Reckoning-Pre-Order-Numbers/page9

Edit: Oh wait, you guys are talking about the fucking DEMO? Jesus, just download it on Origin.

Yeah just the demo. And if I'm going to refuse whole games that use Origin I'm certainly not going to break that for a mere demo. I have a ps3 for that anyway.

Nabs

Sonic 4 episode 1 just got added to the reg (again), along with the retail version (amazon/gg/d2d?). I guess we may get it soon.

There is a new beta update for the Steam client:

There's a new Steam Beta client available. To access the Beta, go to File -> Settings. On the Account tab press the Change... button to open the Beta Participation dialog. Then Select "Beta Update", and allow Steam to restart itself. Here are the specific changes:

- Fixed roaming game categories and favorite settings being reset
- Added option to set server browser ping rate independently from download rate
- Fixed missing menu item for updating AMD video drivers
- Fixed launching of 64-bit games with "-" in the command line
- Improved in-game overlay compatibility for some 64bit game executables
- Added ability to handle proxies that require "basic" auth when downloading games using the new content system
- Improved support of concurrent user sessions from multiple platforms
- Fixed cloud enabled games sometimes not launching until the client is restarted. Also fixed the Steam client showing a “Waiting for cloud sync” dialog at exit forever when in this state.
- Updates to workshop APIs for upcoming Steamworks games

oipic

New beta Steam client is now available - of particular interest to the 'neater' folks here might be this:

"Fixed roaming game categories and favorite settings being reset"

<snip>

EDIT: bah, soundly beaten by Nabs and his stealthy edit. :)

Twinduct

buy several copies and give one to me ;p

Hehe, that might actually work!

Not only is it only $9.99, according to a tweet from the developer it's SteamPlay too, possibly a week or two after the 'official' release.

This has been pure torture, you're enjoying this! You monster :<

Any brave soul want to spread the good word on Evochron? Would really like to get some impressions of it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'd like to know if Mercenary has decent 360 controller defaults to play with too, I had the last game (Legends) but when I can't get a decent control setup to start with I dunno how the rest is... And I'm not totally clueless, I did manage to configure things like Freespace 2 and Tachyon pretty damn well with some tweaking... I haven't even bothered downloading the new demo...

graywolf323

weird

when I go to update steam to the beta I'm presented with two options

test beta
beta update

edit: if Evochron Mercenary is anything like Freespace I will buy it

Aselith

I'd like to know if Mercenary has decent 360 controller defaults to play with too, I had the last game (Legends) but when I can't get a decent control setup to start with I dunno how the rest is... And I'm not totally clueless, I did manage to configure things like Freespace 2 and Tachyon pretty damn well with some tweaking... I haven't even bothered downloading the new demo...

Not in the demo and it didn't seem to detect the triggers either. Just bumpers and face buttons.

It technically detected the joystick out of the box it just didn't seem to actually control anything except looking around. It didn't seem to control acceleration or anything. Not sure, I'll have to mess with the default again later. Also it was constantly moving to the right. You at least need to increase the dead zone to play it with a controller as that fixed it immediately.

svegis

This has been pure torture, you're enjoying this! You monster :<

Well, not entirely! I figured I might as well try and spread the word that there's a possible OS X release, too! No idea about hardware requirements, but for Dustforce I'll assume it's similar to the Windows requirements.

MNC

OH MY GOD EVOCHRON HAS MULTIPLAYER AND COOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Construct space stations to dynamically expand the game's universe with new trade routes, docking points, and economies. The online multiplayer system stores player built stations with the server so other players can have access to the new stations and trade routes you create.

I have the biggest boner right now holy shit

A vast seamless universe that lets you fly anywhere without in-game loading screens. The Evochron universe is not boxed in by 'walls' or 'rooms' that require a jumpgate 'door' to access, there are no required gates or trade lanes to restrict your travel and hold you back. You can travel virtually anywhere you want. Descend into planet atmospheres to land at city trade stations, mine valuable materials, or explore for hidden items. You can escape to nebula clouds for sensor cover or hide in a massive asteroid cave for protection. Fly from planet to planet, star to star, and solar system to solar system.

MY PANTS ARE RIPPING

Mechazawa

OH MY GOD EVOCHRON HAS MULTIPLAYER AND COOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the biggest boner right now holy shit

MY PANTS ARE RIPPING

Problem is, no one here's actually played it yet.

Someone's going to come along and tell us it's terrible and whatever small hopes I have are going to be dashed away.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Been playing Stalker: Clear Sky off and on this past week. Had some various issues with it initially, but I'm really enjoying it now that I've made some progress; currently in the Dark Valley, I think, which I'm having fun exploring. And by progress, of course, I mean it doesn't take me eighty bullets to ice one guy anymore because I have a few proper guns now.

Too bad it's choppy like whoa if you try to max the game. It's actually the prettiest Stalker, but none of the good stuff seems optimized very well.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I wish someone would make a free roaming space game for idiots. I've tried to get into X3 but it's simply beyond the capabilities of my brain. I'll check out Evochron but it sounds like I could run into the same problem.

Been playing Stalker: Clear Sky off and on this past week. Had some various issues with it initially, but I'm really enjoying it now that I've made some progress; currently in the Dark Valley, I think, which I'm having fun exploring. And by progress, of course, I mean it doesn't take me eighty bullets to ice one guy anymore because I have a few proper guns now.

Too bad it's choppy like whoa if you try to max the game. It's actually the prettiest Stalker, but none of the good stuff seems optimized very well.

Are you playing with the Complete mod? I love SoC and CoP but I haven't got around to playing Clear Sky yet. Maybe it's time to install that bitch.

R1CHO

Not in the demo and it didn't seem to detect the triggers either. Just bumpers and face buttons.

It technically detected the joystick out of the box it just didn't seem to actually control anything except looking around. It didn't seem to control acceleration or anything. Not sure, I'll have to mess with the default again later. Also it was constantly moving to the right. You at least need to increase the dead zone to play it with a controller as that fixed it immediately.

You have to configurate it, but everything works except the dpad.

http://i.imgur.com/fSlrL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FDXbc.jpg

That said, playing with the keyboard near is not a bad idea, because you can set the main things on the controller, but not all of them:

http://i.imgur.com/o8vMJ.png

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Are you playing with the Complete mod? I love SoC and CoP but I haven't got around to playing Clear Sky yet. Maybe it's time to install that bitch.

Yeah, I wouldn't roll without the Complete mod. Clear Sky is still a bit of a mess without it.

If you do decide to try it out, give it some time. I kind of liked the initial swamp area, but I hit a slump once I left that and wasn't interested in playing more, so I shelved it for a few months. Regret that! Still Stalker fun to be had, even if I prefer the other two thus far.

I thought steam only let you log in once? Could Valve be working on a Steam Community App for iOS/Android?

Valve has said previously that's something that they want to do. They want to bring Steam to smartphones and the community features were the first things that they wanted to bring over.

Does anyone have a Tiny Bang Story coupon? I could trade it for one of these:

50% OFF Bioshock 2
50% OFF Borderlands Game of the Year
75% OFF Torchlight
50% OFF Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
50% OFF Valve
50% OFF Strategy First
50% OFF Star Ruler

mrgone

50% OFF Bioshock 2
75% OFF Torchlight
50% OFF Valve
50% OFF Strategy First
50% OFF Star Ruler

You can have my 50% off coupon! PM me your steam id?

confused

Banned

50% OFF Bioshock 2
75% OFF Torchlight
50% OFF Valve
50% OFF Strategy First
50% OFF Star Ruler

You willing to give away that Bioshock 2 coupon ?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Playing Mass Effect....Why the fuck is the Mako a special ed bus? It hits a pebble in the road and I'm doing a triple flip in air. Bioware should never be allowed to design any physics or car driving ever. Its like GTA4 with the Zero gravity mod on, in a garage truck. So you have zero control over steering.

Relax.MX

I just finish Gemini Rue, great game :) ¿some impression on The Blackwell Bundle?

Found a picture of my very first Steam purchase/download :)

iiTWVvFdb4xZh.jpg

Best value ever.

And still you had better internet conexion in that day than me right now :( fuck you internet monopoly in Mexico :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I recall purchasing the Source Premier Pack when I landed my first post-high school job in 2006, but it's listed as "complimentary". *shrug* (Yes, I didn't play Half-Life 2 until 2006. :p)

The first item that's listed as a store purchase is the Abe's Oddysee & Exoddus pack.

Edit: Those weren't my first games, however. Both my current (Feb. 2006) and previous (circa 2003) Steam accounts were registered with a key from the Half-Life Platinum Pack. The GoldSrc games were all I owned on Steam for 3 years.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I registered my HL1 GOTY keys on a couple different accounts shortly before HL2 dropped. I still remember HL2's release so clearly. What an amazing afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom