• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Looking for a recommendation from anyone that has played them:

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit for $3
OR
Sonic Generations for $10

Blizzard

Banned

OR
I like NFS:HP. I don't know if you can still play it online with people, and you may have to jump through hoops to get anti-aliasing working, but it's kind of cool in general. You speed cars and try not to get caught and you speed police cars and try to put spike traps on people and stuff. I'd say $5 or under is a good price for it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

OR

They're both great games, but I actually enjoyed Sonic more. Sonic Generations is fantastic especially on a powerful PC.

How are you getting HP for $3 though?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After my last FPS(Hard Reset)...Im playing Rage right now(5 hours so far) and is a good game, but something just dont feel good, is not frenetic, is not "realistic", the AI is awful and predictable, the story is boring, the start of the game is ssssslow, AND the graphics are horribly optimized ... awful! too me Rage is one of those games that you want that finish already to start another

PD: I love the multiplayer XO (very good time with my friends)
Man, I don't know how you could have come to that conclusion. Hard Reset involves holding down the fire button while unsatisfying weapons hit enemies that don't really react to your shots. It feels incredibly flimsy as a result.

Rage has some of the most satisfying gunplay out there. The act of shooting an enemy feels awesome. Also, it runs like a dream now. I hit a perfect 60 fps on both my previous 5870 and my current GTX580. Hard Reset has more issues on both cards than Rage.

I played through Sonic Generations yesterday and left the game very impressed. It plays and looks so good on PC. Sonic Colors was the first 3D Sonic game I've enjoyed and Generations blew it away in every category, in my opinion. Hopefully Sega keeps up this momentum with quality Sonic titles. I wish I could go back and add Generations to my game of the year and soundtrack of the year lists.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*launches From Dust*

oh good, a proprietary Ubisoft patch system. Good thing they didn't use Steam's built-in patching.

*waits*

*waits*

Okay, I don't really want to play From Dust anymore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Done, ready, good to go. My uPlay username is ubisoft_stinks if anyone wants to add me. Wait, UbisoftGameLauncher.exe just crashed. I'll try to launch it again. Worked this time. Oh great, a video of a camera oscillating back and forth between two cactuses *clicks* *presses ESC* *presses spacebar* *presses every button* *alt tab back out of game and back into game* Still oscillating... is it loading right now, I don't see a bar? *waits for a few more loops* To hell with this. Alt+F4 works fine.

Blizzard

Banned
Done, ready, good to go. My uPlay username is ubisoft_stinks if anyone wants to add me. Wait, UbisoftGameLauncher.exe just crashed. I'll try to launch it again. Worked this time. Oh great, a video of a camera oscillating back and forth between two cactuses *clicks* *presses ESC* *presses spacebar* *presses every button* *alt tab back out of game and back into game* Still oscillating... is it loading right now, I don't see a bar? *waits for a few more loops* To hell with this. Alt+F4 works fine.
Ouch, that sounds like CACTUS_ERROR 0x0000947F, that's a rough one.

I've had From Dust since the day it came out and have yet to play it. Probably weird, but all of the backlash against Ubisoft has kept me away from it, I think.

Sober

I think the scariest part about uPlay/Ubisoft accounts is that there are clearly too many being made. Everywhere else I make an account, if "sober" is taken, I'll try my go-to variation of it (which is never ever taken) but ... wait, it's taken? And the 500 other variations too? I pretty much ended up using some strange combination of my real name and some random numbers which I will promptly forget.

Mrbob

Thank you for taking the bump for me Stumpokapow. Time to stay away from From Dust. Sticking with my gut feeling of not buying a Ubisoft PC game.

Kabouter

You know which game has never given me any start up problems? EU3. :p

1-D_FTW

:lol

Not as subtle as my Origin ID of SteamedUp, but I like it. It's catchy.

EDIT: Speaking of cavalier attitudes towards their Uplay accounts: I think my Uplay account I created for SC: Conviction is gone forever. If they lock your serials to UPlay accounts, not sure I'll ever be able to recover it. Meant to log in and write the info down before my system reinstall, but I forgot to do that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
*launches From Dust*

oh good, a proprietary Ubisoft patch system. Good thing they didn't use Steam's built-in patching.

So you are telling me that Ubi is able to reach out to support customers in the way they want, but EA isn't allowed to? Proof that Steam hates EA if you ask me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Does From Dust feature DLC that's only sold on an EA store? I thought DLC sales were the issue with EA.

I guess DLC sales were EA's issue.

Everyone else BUT them seems to be able to work around it, but the brains at EA are just too stupid to figure it out, I guess.

Prezhulio

So you are telling me that Ubi is able to reach out to support customers in the way they want, but EA isn't allowed to? Proof that Steam hates EA if you ask me.

the story is that EA is allowed to (just like GFW games and ubi games work fine within steam for patching and dlc), it seems like EA just wanted an excuse to jump ship of their biggest competitor (steam) and support origin primarily.

even though they sell through other retailers, i think their dlc revenue is re-couped 100% by origin now and that's what they're pinning their arguement against steam (right? crysis 2 and dragon age 2 dlc is only sold from origin/EA store on pc?)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
the story is that EA is allowed to (just like GFW games and ubi games work fine within steam for patching and dlc), it seems like EA just wanted an excuse to jump ship of their biggest competitor (steam) and support origin primarily.

even though they sell through other retailers, i think their dlc revenue is re-couped 100% by origin now and that's what they're pinning their arguement against steam (right? crysis 2 and dragon age 2 dlc is only sold from origin/EA store on pc?)

Lol dude hate to break it to you but you can get BF3 DLC from places other than Origin and Dragon Age 2/Crysis 2 didn't even use it for their DLC. Dragon Age 2's DLC could only be purchased through Bioware's ghetto store with magic monies and Crysis 2 used some Gamespy powered store shit.

As far as anyone can work out it's like this:

Valve wants F2P games on Steam. F2P games make loads of money from DLC. Valve realises they would get screwed if they didn't require that games available on Steam sell DLC on Steam because of the fact that they will promote and pay for the bandwidth of F2P games only to have the publishers take all the DLC revenue. This rule is applied to all games on Steam regardless of whether they're F2P or not. EA gets mad, and takes their bat and ball home.

I'd assume that there is a grandfather clause for games released before a certain date, as Dragon Age still uses the appalling system it always has.

Tomodachi

I bought From Dust and I had zero problems, to be honest. Steam usual crappy updates (DX and other stuff I still don't undestand why they have to be installed every single time I launch a new game) took more than the patching done by the uplay thingie. It also remembered my account from previous games (splinter cell, prince of persia) so no time spent in silly registrations.

Game is just fine with a controller, I played one hour and a half straight and no problems whatsoever. I'm not saying you can't have techical issues with the game obviously, I'm just reporting my experience.

30 fps confirmed but graphics are nice and the terraforming is just awesome, I'm really liking it. I wish they'd allowed players to choose the sandbox mode right away, missions are nice but I'd just like to create amazing rivers now :D

Sure, I hope ubi servers won't be offline anytime soon, but I went through all splinter cell conviction and they never were, not once. I never had a problem with the uplay launcher either (I must say I hated the previous ubi launchers, anno 1404 was a pain). Lucky?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd assume that there is a grandfather clause for games released before a certain date, as Dragon Age still uses the appalling system it always has.

ME2's is more appalling.

Anyways, that clause should have covered DA2/Crysis 2 since it covered Dirt 3. EA pulled them because they thought the games were popular enough to make Origin somewhat worthwhile. You know, the whole "people totally want these games and if they can't find them on Steam, they might see us as an option."

Joe Molotov

Ubisoft's deep-dicking of their customers is legendary, but EA just didn't feel the current system provided enough flexibility for the anal-violations they had in mind.

Lol dude hate to break it to you but you can get BF3 DLC from places other than Origin and Dragon Age 2/Crysis 2 didn't even use it for their DLC. Dragon Age 2's DLC could only be purchased through Bioware's ghetto store with magic monies and Crysis 2 used some Gamespy powered store shit.

Which is part of the reason why people are saying ea is full of shit and wanted an excuse to create their own rival platform.

Does anyone have any issues with steam mover not moving games but copying them instead? I can't get skyrim to move over, it just copies and then will still try to run it from my HDD rather than the SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom