• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaska

Got my mobile invitation, yaaay

edit: seems you can set your date of birth in android app, thus bypassing all those age verification thingies.

mrgone

What's the deal with getgamesgo.com wanting credit card information just to set up an account? Legit or not, this is like an e-commerce bad touch. I don't want to sit on your lap!

edit: Well, maybe it's just shoddy design - seems you get your account created after the first step even if you don't complete the second step. Hopefully the account's not stuck in unusable limbo now. :D

Yaska

How long were you waiting for the beta invitation?

No idea about exact time, fired up steam around 3.5 hours ago and noticed I had gotten in. Downloaded the app same time the mobile thread was posted on GAF. So I guess roughly 12 hours or so?

Saty

Posted? PixelJunk Eden arriving next week.
Priced at US$9.99, the Steam version will include the game's "Encore" DLC pack. Eden's full 17-song soundtrack, which includes unreleased tracks, will be available via DLC for $5.99.

For the Steam version, the game has been retuned. The Grimp, the little character you control, now can warp back to his last resting position in the Steam version. You can also save your progress in each garden in Eden.

http://kotaku.com/5879854/pixeljunk-venturing-from-psn-to-steam

wilflare

mystery prize :p

My humble contribution. (for the mystery gift)

so Orange Box.

Qiwsz.png

Mystery Prize Plox

Sorry for taking so long to release the results.
Hope the giveaway had gotten a little more replies ^^ and that I could give all the participants something.

decided to issue only the Mystery Prize

and the winner is none other than Iron Badger!
really awesome art :D
and you'll get a copy of Dustforce!

PM me your Steam email :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wrapped up FEAR 3 in co-op and was pretty pleased with it.

Background before my thoughts: I love the FEAR series. It is an absolute guilty pleasure for me. I fell in love with the demo of the first game and proceeded to inhale every piece of FEAR content that followed. While the series has plenty of terrible aspects (story), the base mechanic of shooting things has always been a cut above everything else in the market. I was a little shakey on FEAR 3 at first though so I waited till the price dropped.

Liked:
  • The guns felt great. Each one had a wonderful punch to it and the enemies had gratifying reactions. While the shotgun wasn't FEAR 1 tier, the other weapons more than made up for it.
  • The environmental art was exceptional. Each level had a distinct flavor to it and they did a great job of making drab locations look interesting and creepy.
  • The lighting took the environment art even further. My god it was stunning at times. I was constantly blown away by the dynamic shadow work.
  • The co-op was pretty neat since each character plays very differently and the powers play off each other well.
  • The game moves at a pretty brisk pace which works well for the series. Only one level started to drag, which is impressive compared to FEAR 1's second half of the game dragging.

Didn't Like:
  • I guess it might be a little unfair harping on the story because Day 1 had to wrap up the loose ends, but god the story stood by the series tradition of having an awful plot. For having a decent initial concept, it's kind of a bummer that the series never made anything legitimately good out of it.
  • The voice acting was pretty bad. I don't mind Fettel since they needed to stay consistent, but Jin was atrocious.
  • Some of the combat scenarios are poorly set up. This is partially due to one enemy type who is completely nonsensical and stupidly designed.
  • There is a weird filter on the game that hurts the image quality that doesn't seem to be removable. While it's not too bad in motion, it is disappointing that they didn't put in a post-processing option.

I really gotta hand it to Day 1 studios. As a heavy FEAR fan I went in with doubts, but they really knocked it out of the park when it came to the things I really love about the series. Co-op was a terrific addition to the game too.

A couple screens:

f2012-01-2711-14-12-765qt3.png

f2012-01-2711-27-53-66hr8m.png

f2012-01-2711-09-58-00spm6.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The cover system is also worth mentioning. There might be an FPS with a better cover system than FEAR 3 but I can't think of any. I didn't miss lean at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If anyone else has a FEAR 3 coupon they aren't going to use, please send it to meeeeeee.

SparkTR

I really want to give Fear 3 a try, but I feel the need to play the series in order and those Fear 1 expansions are so damn tedious. I'll persevere though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The cover system is also worth mentioning. There might be an FPS with a better cover system than FEAR 3 but I can't think of any. I didn't miss lean at all.

Truth, the cover system works great. Killzone wishes it had an FPS cover system that worked this well.

The phase commanders? They were pretty dumb.
Yeah, there was this one on the bridge level and he hid and just kept doing his bullshit. It was so irritating on the hardest difficulty.

I really want to give Fear 3 a try, but I feel the need to play the series in order and those Fear 1 expansions are so damn tedious. I'll persevere though.
The first expansion actually does a lot of things better than the OG campaign, but Perseus Mandate can be skipped with a clear mind. FEAR 2/DLC have massive story ties that feed into FEAR 3.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have a 25% off WB coupon that will work for FEAR 3. RoadDoggSU is my steam name.
I could get that price right now at GMG. Plus I already missed it for $8 before so I would feel bad if I went over $10. Sorry I am so cheap. Gabe did this to me.

goober

Serious Sam 3 is also 13.59

The Seriously Digital edition is on sale too.

It includes the First and second encounters. Are these the HD versions?

edit: anyone from the UK wanna get me the Missing Link DLC from GetGames? Will paypal first.

Unless there's an issue with Steam redeeming or something.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Deus Ex is Steamworks right?

And hm... what's the diff between regular and augmented?

Also how long is the sale?

Got into the Steam mobile beta. Its just as dangerous as you'd imagine but you can't install things from it. I love how the messenger has a built in smiley face on the keyboard. Ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom