• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
"Account not part of the beta"

"...more invites will be sent out"

ihsdwekt5apjh3djxz.gif

Wallach

... so opt into the beta, no one is stopping you.
file -> settings -> account -> beta participation is somewhere in here

It's not, though. The app says you need to activate a beta key in Steam but I don't see it in the beta participation.

Moreover, the Skyrim beta is going on; it looks like I have to opt out of that to opt into another? Is that right?

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

Posted yet? Steam for Android and iOS.

Should create a new thread?

VALVE ANNOUNCES MOBILE STEAM APP

Closed Beta Available Now For iOS and Android Devices

January 26, 2012 -- Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the beta release of the Steam application for iOS and Android devices.

With the Steam app, gamers around the world may chat with Steam friends, browse community groups and user profiles, view screenshots and user-generated content for their favorite games, read the latest gaming news, stay up to date on unbeatable Steam sales, and more.

"The Steam app comes from many direct requests from our customers," said Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve. "Seeing which of your friends are online and playing a game, sending quick messages, looking at screenshots for an upcoming game, or catching a sale - these are all features customers have requested. Mobile is changing way people interact, play games and consume media, and the Steam app is part of our commitment to meet customer demands and expand the service functionality of Steam to make it richer and more accessible for everyone."

Those who wish to join the beta just need to download the Steam app (free of charge) and log in to their Steam account via the mobile app to express interest in the beta. Gamers will be added to the Closed Beta as the service ramps up.

Steam is a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC and Mac games with over 40 million accounts around the world and over 1,800 titles offered.

For more information, please visit http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2504573

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hopefully the app allows me to use it as an in-game overlay, showing chat and what not without having to put stuff over my game screen. I always have my tablet around my tele so that would be spiffy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's not, though. The app says you need to activate a beta key in Steam but I don't see it in the beta participation.

Oh wow, this is probably Valve's first closed beta for Steam in years then. All the other ones so far have been opt-in through the client :/

Now I feel sheepish for suggesting it was so easy! Sorry dude!

Baha

Can't seem to sign in to Steam Mobile, says my account isn't in beta even though it is.

*EDIT* Read the above, really sad now.

Wallach

Oh wow, this is probably Valve's first closed beta for Steam in years then. All the other ones so far have been opt-in through the client :/

Yes, it is closed - you have to log into the app to enter the pool for an invite. DOTA 2 is closed beta too; stop being a jerk GABE.

Sober

Hopefully the app allows me to use it as an in-game overlay, showing chat and what not without having to put stuff over my game screen. I always have my tablet around my tele so that would be spiffy.
Oh, that would be a pretty cool way to do it; if a message pops up you can just turn over to your tablet instead of shift+tabbing to reply or whatever.

svegis

As some have already noticed, the following is an exempt from the press release:

"Those who wish to join the beta just need to download the Steam app (free of charge) and log in to their Steam account via the mobile app to express interest in the beta. Gamers will be added to the Closed Beta as the service ramps up."

Bit of clarification, I hope!

So I'll be able to buy games anywhere on my phone, get messages when games I want are on sale, maybe get cross platform play on suitable games (like there are PC/Mac versions of some titles) AND Valve gets in on the mobile phone market. Devious and awesome, sign me up.

Megasoum

Banned
From what I can see in the description, it doesn't look like you can buy games from the app. Bummer, that's the only use I would have for it. I live in Canada but my work use a special ISP that makes it so that we are geotagged to USA. This is great when you want to watch tv shows during your lunch break but sucks when you want to buy stuff online lol.

I guess the ideal thing for me would be to be able to buy games on the phone and remotely start the download at home. You know...like what Microsoft has been doing for the last 6 years with xbox.com...

Chinner

Banned
oh god guys i logged out and i can't remember my password and i askd to get a verification code but nothing has come in my emails oh god oh god oh god

edit: oh god i can't remember my secret password oh god oh god oh god

second edit: okay guys its cool i got it.

oh god guys i logged out and i can't remember my password and i askd to get a verification code but nothing has come in my emails oh god oh god oh god

edit: oh god i can't remember my secret password oh god oh god oh god

second edit: okay guys its cool i got it.

You suck Chinner, I was totally gonna PM you your password.

Got a couple coupons I might wanna trade for, but most likely just give away, PM if interested:

2x 33% off Valve Complete Pack
25% off any Valve game
50% off Oddworld Munch's Oddyssey
50% off Operation Flashpoint: RedRiver
50% off Section 8: Prejudice
25% off any Activision title

Tokubetsu

Was there ever a FEAR 3 coupon? Anyone willing to trade for it? I've got:
a SMNC invite
25% off Dead Island
75% off Torchlight
50% off Left4Dead 2
50% off Garshap
Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

MNC

Just completed Dead Space 1, loved it, though the mouse controls were quite annoying from times. The final boss was pretty easy, though then again I'd rather have it to be challenging then too difficult and stuck on final boss.

Anyway, I tried installing Dead Space 2, went on to activate it, and the game doesn't boot. The game constantly keeps on trying to activate (and keeps saying Activation successful!) after which it doesn't do anything and I'm stuck in a loop. Gonna try rebooting the laptop, see if that works.

Question(s) about From Dust PC which I just saw now is on sale for another 30 minutes:

1) I heard the mouse support was not very good for the PC at launch, was this fixed up at some point?

2) Anyone tried it on PC with a 360 gamepad? If so how is it?

3) The ever-present Ubi question... how bad is the DRM?

Question(s) about From Dust PC which I just saw now is on sale for another 30 minutes:

1) I heard the mouse support was not very good for the PC at launch, was this fixed up at some point?

2) Anyone tried it on PC with a 360 gamepad? If so how is it?

3) The ever-present Ubi question... how bad is the DRM?

1) PC controls aren't very good.

2) 360 pad works fine.

3) No crazy DRM, you just have to register the game with your uplay account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom