• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
WOAH BRO WHAT THE FUCK

The game is awesome. That last stage gets a little over the top, sure, but don't let that ruin the entire experience for you. That's the only bad thing about the game, though! And I imagine even that part would be more fun with a few other people to split up the endless crowds of enemies a little.
I'm playing in co-op with one friend and I'm pretty sure I only hate the game a hair more than he does.

Still, it would be unfair for me to rip the game to shreds if I hadn't finished it.

Blizzard

Banned
I only played the Hard Reset demo, but from what I've played of the Serious Sam games, they're awesome, the graphics on the newest one are great, and I'd prefer playing them over Hard Reset. *shrug*

Blizzard

Banned
I wouldn't call the graphics great
Well maybe not "great", but I really liked the lighting in some of the shots. *shrug*

sam32012-01-0123-20-3dmkvg.jpg

sam32012-01-0123-09-3i7k5d.jpg

dLMN8R

Serious Sam does the same weird thing that Modern Warfare 3 defaults to - sets the rendering resolution lower than the actual display resolution. I was running at 1920x1200 for a while and after realizing it looked blurry/bad, I went into custom graphics options and realized it was only rendering the game at roughly 1680x1050 resolution and then upscaling.

Fixed that, and it looks so much better now :-D

Anyway, Serious Sam 3 has a ridiculous amount of variety in weapons, a good amount of variety in enemies, and the encounters are just absolutely INSANE. Some of the biggest-scale, craziest battles of any Serious Sam game ever.

And the game is long too, without feeling long. I've played the campaign for around 12-13 hours now and am just about at the final boss battle.

Also super-impressed with the co-op implementation. It just plain works, perfectly. And it interfaces perfectly with all my Steam friends, one-click invites, etc. Voice chat works. Type-to-chat works too, even when the game is loading. Lots of customization in the multiplayer, and even a survival multiplayer mode.

It's a SERIOUSLY huge and awesome game (sorry, couldn't resist)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well they did promise a trilogy of episodes...

Lombardi said last March that "you will ever see [Half-Life 3/Episode Three], yes", adding that "[Valve] aren't done with Gordon Freeman's adventures" and asking for fans to "hang in there with us".

Mark my words: it'll be announced soon and intended for release in Q4. /keepingthefaith

JaseC

I'm just saying, you know, maybe they want to move on from that and there's all these people complaining all the time at them. I would be annoyed.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Your cynicism shall not deter me! ;)

Edit: I'd partake in this little Half-Life 2 shindig if:

A) I even remotely believed it'd actually achieve something, and;
B) I could be bothered translating 11:00AM PDT to +8 GMT

I've been playing Glowfish and I must say, I find it quite boring. The game is very colorful and polished, but it is the same thing over and over again. I think I'll give it a little longer, but as of right now, I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it.

Lingitiz

I'm just saying, you know, maybe they want to move on from that and there's all these people complaining all the time at them. I would be annoyed.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Regardless of what they do next, it isn't too unreasonable to ask for better communication on their part, which is what the whole protest is about.

Speaking of Hard Reset, I started it the other day and so far it's not grabbed me. It's alright, but it lacks a hook. It looks nice and running around shooting things feels good... but I dunno.

I guess I want more from my FPS these days. I'm gonna keep playing it, but I'm glad I picked it up on the cheap and didn't pay full price like I was tempted to.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I liked Hard Reset a fair amount, although I'd rather have seen it modeled after something other than Quake II, which ... is not exactly id's finest hour. "TRESPASSAH!" and railgun aside, of course.

MNC

The people themselves refrain from calling t a protest, more of a "reminder to valve that half life is still a huge, beloved franchise"

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I've been playing Glowfish and I must say, I find it quite boring. The game is very colorful and polished, but it is the same thing over and over again. I think I'll give it a little longer, but as of right now, I don't think I'm going to be able to finish it.

Yeah it does get repetitive. At the rate new stuff is introduced it should've had about 25-30 levels instead of 50.

Pajama

Neo Member
Anyone have impressions of Flotilla?

Flotilla is Homeworld like-ish but works in turns and you can't issue any new orders until the next turn (commands are simultaneously resolved) unlike realtime in Homeworld. It's not too bad in short burst as a fun distraction but if you want to really play a space strategy game in 3D you're better off just playing Homeworld. Amazingly Homeworld works in widescreen pretty well with an easy registry adjustment and works fine in Win7 64bit. The hard part here is finding the game. Homeworld should be priority one for GOG.

WOAH BRO WHAT THE FUCK

The game is awesome. That last stage gets a little over the top, sure, but don't let that ruin the entire experience for you. That's the only bad thing about the game, though! And I imagine even that part would be more fun with a few other people to split up the endless crowds of enemies a little.

You say that the last level of the game was bad whereas I think it was the best part of the game. It's the only thing I'll remember about the game years from now. It is thrilling, frustrating, exhausting and mindblowingly awesome all at the same time... and then it's followed by the most chaotic boss fight I've seen in years. That level represents all the insanity that Serious Sam games are known and loved for.

For those who might be wondering what the deal is with that last level... it doesn't really give away anything about the game but I'm still hiding it to be safe -
The last level throws over 1700 enemies at you in slightly over 1 hour. That averages to a kill every 2-3 seconds for an hour straight. It's physically draining to play through that level but it's also completely awesome. And for reference, Hard Reset had ~1300 enemies in the whole game. There are more enemies in one level of Serious Sam than there are in the entire game of Hard Reset!

Hard Reset is good but Serious Sam 3 is a far better, feature packed game.

NBtoaster

Valve should just do what they want, don't want them to force out a Half Life >_>

I think they're well aware of how popular it is.

JaseC

Valve should just do what they want, don't want them to force out a Half Life >_>

I think they're well aware of how popular it is.

The "Call for Communication" mission statement makes it clear the group is after a statement from Valve regarding the future of the series, rather than asking that Half-Life 3 be forced out the door ahead of schedule because "it's been long enough". I don't think anybody - any fan, at least - has an agenda or even desires for Valve to rush a game, especially when the title in question is Half-Life 3.

jediyoshi

The "Call for Communication" mission statement makes it clear the group is after a statement from Valve regarding the future of the series, rather than asking that Half-Life 3 be forced out the door ahead of schedule because "it's been long enough". I don't think anybody - any fan, at least - has an agenda or even desires for Valve to rush a game, especially when the title in question is Half-Life 3.
Get out of here with your reasonable statements.

NBtoaster

Hmm okay...I just hope Valve doesn't feel pressured for it to affect other potentially better products.

Anyone not liking SS3 seriously needs to play the game on Serious difficulty. Do it.

Not to say that either game is "better". I'm just genuinely happy that games like SS3 and Hard Reset see the light of day at all, and I love playing both of them.

Edit: Holy mother of internal server errors o_O

Euphor!a

Banned
Duke Nukem Forever worth the $2.50? Or should I buy it for trade fodder for something else later on. Or just forget it entirely?

Duke Nukem Forever worth the $2.50? Or should I buy it for trade fodder for something else later on. Or just forget it entirely?

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this but after playing DNF today, I would say it's one of the best FPS of 2011. I've had more fun with it than Hard Reset and any of the Serious Sam games. $2.50 is worth it.

SparkTR

You know what? I'm going to go out on a limb and say this but after playing DNF today, I would say it's one of the best FPS of 2011. I've had more fun with it than Hard Reset and any of the Serious Sam games. $2.50 is worth it.

I don't know what you're smoking, but keep it the hell away from me.

DNF was a pretty ok game though.

JaseC

I don't agree with the extent of your assessment, however I do feel that the immense backlash the game continues to receive is somewhat excessive.

I don't agree with the extent of your assessment, however I do feel that the immense backlash the game continues to receive is somewhat excessive.

That's quite alright. I'm definitely not saying that DNF is perfect. It's far from it. I had a hell of a time raging at some dodgy controls, rolling my eyes at some pretty schlocky dialogue, etc. However, it's because the game doesn't take itself seriously that I'm enjoying it immensely. I guess people didn't like it because after 12 years of waiting and not being a godsend, some people's expectations were extremely high.

Q8D3vil

lol, i played both and serious sam 3 shit all over dnf

actually, i wish ss3 was dnf

JaseC

That's quite alright. I'm definitely not saying that DNF is perfect. It's far from it. I had a hell of a time raging at some dodgy controls, rolling my eyes at some pretty schlocky dialogue, etc. However, it's because the game doesn't take itself seriously that I'm enjoying it immensely. I guess people didn't like it because after 12 years of waiting and not being a godsend, some people's expectations were extremely high.

Yeah, as I said earlier in the year, the hodgepodge of dated game design with modern idiosyncrasies (e.g. "tap spc for awesome!") and a sloppily-updated UE2.5 aesthetic combines for a strangely endearing experience overall. The campaign being longer than your typical FPS also saw a few points scored. There's no denying it arrived at least decade too late, however. :p

lol, i played both and serious sam 3 shit all over dnf

actually, i wish ss3 was dnf

How so? I played the first level of SS3 and automatically thought, "Yeah this is going to get repetitive really quick." I played DNF expecting some monstrosity and was genuinely surprised at how much fun I was having compared to SS3. Hell, I'll even put Hard Reset over SS3.

Yeah, as I said earlier in the year, the hodgepodge of dated game design with modern idiosyncrasies (e.g. "tap spc for awesome!") and a sloppily-updated UE2.5 aesthetic combines for a strangely endearing experience overall. The campaign being longer than your typical FPS also saw a few points scored. There's no denying it arrived at least decade too late, however. :p

Agreed.

ArjanN

You say that the last level of the game was bad whereas I think it was the best part of the game. It's the only thing I'll remember about the game years from now. It is thrilling, frustrating, exhausting and mindblowingly awesome all at the same time... and then it's followed by the most chaotic boss fight I've seen in years. That level represents all the insanity that Serious Sam games are known and loved for.

For those who might be wondering what the deal is with that last level... it doesn't really give away anything about the game but I'm still hiding it to be safe -
The last level throws over 1700 enemies at you in slightly over 1 hour. That averages to a kill every 2-3 seconds for an hour straight. It's physically draining to play through that level but it's also completely awesome. And for reference, Hard Reset had ~1300 enemies in the whole game. There are more enemies in one level of Serious Sam than there are in the entire game of Hard Reset!

Hard Reset is good but Serious Sam 3 is a far better, feature packed game.

Serous Sam 3 has more features, and is a lot longer, I'll give it that, but to be honest I find the lack of pacing in Serious Sam 3 (and the previous games) to be exhausting. If I try to play those games in the evening they tend to give me a headache. I kind of feel they could have dialled that back a little.

How so? I played the first level of SS3 and automatically thought, "Yeah this is going to get repetitive really quick." I played DNF expecting some monstrosity and was genuinely surprised at how much fun I was having compared to SS3. Hell, I'll even put Hard Reset over SS3.

Serious Sam 3 starts very slow, it takes a couple of hours to really get going.

It's all relative. I like Hard Reset too, but if you're choosing which to spend money on, then it's a waste of money to choose it over Serious Sam 3.

Serious Sam 3 is 10x the game as Hard Reset. The single-player is practically incomparable, and its co-op (which Hard Reset doesn't even have) is phenomenal and implemented flawlessly.

I am not joking or exaggerating when I saw that Serious Sam 3 was the best shooter of 2011.

That's what I've been saying!
I liked Hard Reset but the restrictive movement and level design really got on my nerves.

SparkTR

How far did you get into SS3?

Serous Sam 3 has more features, and is a lot longer, I'll give it that, but to be honest I find the lack of pacing in Serious Sam 3 (and the previous games) to be exhausting. If I try to play those games in the evening they tend to give me a headache. I kind of feel they could have dialled that back a little.

If you're looking for something laid back, may I suggest Solitaire? :p Serious Sam is all about defeating waves of enemies as you run backwards or circle strafe and blow shit up... that is the core premise of the game.

Seriously though, SS3 doesn't really have a pacing problem. The number of enemies are finite and there is downtime between fights. It's not meant to be a thoughtful, measured, intellectual experience... it's more tuned towards high adrenaline insanity as you fight through the hordes. With that in mind it does maintain it's desired pacing. I'll concede that the last level loses it completely and goes balls to wall crazy but that can be a good or bad thing depending on the player's perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom