• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamenSenshi

Its weird, being away from installing physical pc games for so long I kinda forgot about those keys. Where would one find it with a good deal at this point?

KamenSenshi

"
Why not directly buy it on Steam?
Don't know if it's a good deal, though."

I considered that at first, but I kinda hate the idea of buying it again for "half" price especially with Global coming soon-ish, which was kinda the impetus for my desire to install this one since there isn't a real release date yet. That, and I'd feel better getting slaughtered on the older one that I already own than getting slaughtered on the new one.

"You can do this and tons of people have 50% off valve coupons that they would love to give away."

Thanks for the help guys. If anyone does happen to have an unwanted 50% coupon...

Flunkie

Banned
I wish you could gift being invited into Dota 2. The gaming side of my laptop (ie my video card) is on life support and I've not been able to play games properly since December, so I can't try out Dota 2 without my video card getting so hot every game is a PowerPoint presentation. Wish I could at least gift it to my friend who is a Dota/LoL/all the other clones freak.

It's so hard being a console-only guy after the Christmas sale. Even shit like Super Meat Boy starts to make it stutter after 10 minutes.

:'(

mannerbot

I wish you could gift being invited into Dota 2. The gaming side of my laptop (ie my video card) is on life support and I've not been able to play games properly since December, so I can't try out Dota 2 without my video card getting so hot every game is a PowerPoint presentation. Wish I could at least gift it to my friend who is a Dota/LoL/all the other clones freak.

It's so hard being a console-only guy after the Christmas sale. Even shit like Super Meat Boy starts to make it stutter after 10 minutes.

:'(

Wait, so Dota 2 wasn't a Holiday Sale 2011 Gift for you? If it wasn't, and you got an actual invite from Steam, then you should have an additional two invites to gift out.

Flunkie

Banned
Wait, so Dota 2 wasn't a Holiday Sale 2011 Gift for you? If it wasn't, and you got an actual invite from Steam, then you should have an additional two invites to gift out.

I got an email about a week ago when the big wave of invites was sent out. It just appeared in my games list.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
All my xmas coupons disappeared from my inventory. However, the Steam tab still says I have 20+ items.

I though they were all going to disappear on the first, but you people are still trading them?

What is going on?

Narag

All my xmas coupons disappeared from my inventory. However, the Steam tab still says I have 20+ items.

I though they were all going to disappear on the first, but you people are still trading them?

What is going on?

Are you checking via the web? They won't appear if you're not logged in.

Narag

There's a dropdown menu that shows "All Steam Items", "Gifts" and "Coupons" and I hadn't noticed. And it's fucking huge too!

I'm an idiot.

Thanks though!

For what it's worth, the same thing happened to me when I went to verify my own coupons. Took me a sec!

Burekma

Apparently, I already own Costume Quest. It's really depressing when you learn you own interesting stuff you haven't even played once...

Ledsen

So I really want to play Witcher 2, but I haven't played the first one even though I own it. I have ~100 games in my backlog and I don't think I want to take the (looong) time to finish the first one if it's not completely amazing and a must-play. Can I skip it and jump straight to the second one (I know it's a direct sequel)?

iNvid02

So I really want to play Witcher 2, but I haven't played the first one even though I own it. I have ~100 games in my backlog and I don't think I want to take the (looong) time to finish the first one if it's not completely amazing and a must-play. Can I skip it and jump straight to the second one (I know it's a direct sequel)?

thats what i did, just read up on the first one and you should be ok

might wanna wait for the new stuff coming in a few months though

Aaron

I liked the first game better overall, though it obviously doesn't look anywhere near as nice. There are also plenty of mods so you can pretty much breeze through it.

Helmholtz

You can. I recommend at least reading the story summary on Wikipedia or something first, though. W2 kind of drops you in right where the first game left off, but after that introduction the story is pretty much separate. I enjoyed the first game a lot (played it last year before playing W2), but it's a little dated and not for everyone. It's a pretty slow game, and if you don't have a lot of time and patience right now go ahead and jump into the second game.

I prefer the first so I'd recommend playing through that while you wait for the Enchanced Edition of The Witcher 2.

Fox318

First game is a fantastic game. Might be the game of the decade.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just wrapped up Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC and holy shit I couldn't believe it. I thought DNF had been an interesting experience, but one constrained by the 12 years of planning. It wasn't a great game or anything, but I found it sadly fascinating. This DLC seems as though it was freed of those constraints and I think it proves that there still can be a place for Duke in modern gaming.

What I really liked:
-I thought it was great how they tied the DLC into the main game
-It was really well paced. It starts fairly basic and then it really steps things up in pretty much every area.
-It added a couple new amusing weapons.
-There is a fantastic amount of content for the current sale price of 2.50$.

Improvements from the main game:
-Environments that were more interesting from a visual and gameplay standpoint
-Better set pieces that were actually pretty damn cool
-The driving segments were fun and never dragged on too long.
-The miniaturized segments were even crazier.
-Consistently better dialogue that was pretty amusing at times.

Still a bummer:
-Some of the assets and the ghetto UE2.5 or whatever variant still hold back the visuals at times.
-The weapon models still leave something to be desired.
-They do another "interlude" and while it's short, it's still kinda lame and awkward.
-There is still a decent amount of humor that falls flat.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this DLC expansion for DNF and it actually made me interested in getting a full-blown sequel to the game that is produced in a much tighter dev timeline.

Here a couple screens:

dukeforever2012-01-312jo9f.png

dukeforever2012-02-02unokm.png

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
God damnit Stallion, I'm like half-way done the DLC myself (
just killed the Doctor and re-enlarged the shrunk EDF guy
) and I wanted to be the one to do the mini-review!

Sober

I just wrapped up Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC and holy shit I couldn't believe it. I thought DNF had been an interesting experience, but one constrained by the 12 years of planning. It wasn't a great game or anything, but I found it sadly fascinating. This DLC seems as though it was freed of those constraints and I think it proves that there still can be a place for Duke in modern gaming.
About to buy DNF and that DLC, but if that is the case then DNF actually coming out must've been mostly a job for Gearbox to stitch together all the parts rather than being too heavily involved in its development (mostly its final marketing). If the SP DLC is as good as it seems then I guess we shouldn't worry about future DN games from them, yeah?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
About to buy DNF and that DLC, but if that is the case then DNF actually coming out must've been mostly a job for Gearbox to stitch together all the parts rather than being too heavily involved in its development (mostly its final marketing). If the SP DLC is as good as it seems then I guess we shouldn't worry about future DN games from them, yeah?

Yeah, this DLC is the work of Triptych (http://www.triptychgames.com/)who worked along side Gearbox in putting together the DNF scraps.

They clearly have some good ideas for Duke and I'd love to see what they come up with next, especially on a modern engine.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

What I really liked:
-I thought it was great how they tied the DLC into the main game
-It was really well paced. It starts fairly basic and then it really steps things up in pretty much every area.
-It added a couple new amusing weapons.
-There is a fantastic amount of content for the current sale price of 2.50$.

Improvements from the main game:
-Environments that were more interesting from a visual and gameplay standpoint
-Better set pieces that were actually pretty damn cool
-The driving segments were fun and never dragged on too long.
-The miniaturized segments were even crazier.
-Consistently better dialogue that was pretty amusing at times.

Still a bummer:
-Some of the assets and the ghetto UE2.5 or whatever variant still hold back the visuals at times.
-The weapon models still leave something to be desired.
-They do another "interlude" and while it's short, it's still kinda lame and awkward.
-There is still a decent amount of humor that falls flat.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this DLC expansion for DNF and it actually made me interested in getting a full-blown sequel to the game that is produced in a much tighter dev timeline.

Here a couple screens:

Well, that sold me on it, it's only £1.57 after all. Bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom