• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baha

Victoria II is the steam daily @ 66% off ($6.79). There are 60% off coupons floating around for this (already given away).

Kabouter

Victoria II is the steam daily @ 66% off ($6.79). There are 60% off coupons floating around for this (already given away).

Great game, highly recommend it if you're a fan of deep strategy games. Not the most accessible game in the world though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Pixel Junk Eden: 61 achievements

xtrgw3nxt1.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Eden is so bought. BEWARE: No gamepad support. The GAFfer who claims to work for Q-Games said that they wanted people to use the revamped mouse-focused controls over a pad. Doesn't really effect me but I know couch-GAF might have a problem with that.

Display options are limited, you can choose resolution and enable/disable v-sync. Nothing else. It's got a simple look, though, there's not much to tinker.

Otherwise, it's a really neat game. A demo would have done them a lot of good.

Eden is so bought. BEWARE: No gamepad support. The GAFfer who claims to work for Q-Games said that they wanted people to use the revamped mouse-focused controls over a pad. Doesn't really effect me but I know couch-GAF might have a problem with that.

Display options are limited, you can choose resolution and enable/disable v-sync. Nothing else. It's got a simple look, though, there's not much to tinker.

Also it's locked to 60 fps :\ I was looking forward to playing it at 120 fps.

Anyone here still play Retribution's Skirmish multiplayer? Last I played, the player count was so low that matchmaking was completely borked.

Ledsen

De-wishlisted :(

Dipswitch

I just wrapped up Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC and holy shit I couldn't believe it. I thought DNF had been an interesting experience, but one constrained by the 12 years of planning. It wasn't a great game or anything, but I found it sadly fascinating. This DLC seems as though it was freed of those constraints and I think it proves that there still can be a place for Duke in modern gaming.

What I really liked:
-I thought it was great how they tied the DLC into the main game
-It was really well paced. It starts fairly basic and then it really steps things up in pretty much every area.
-It added a couple new amusing weapons.
-There is a fantastic amount of content for the current sale price of 2.50$.

Improvements from the main game:
-Environments that were more interesting from a visual and gameplay standpoint
-Better set pieces that were actually pretty damn cool
-The driving segments were fun and never dragged on too long.
-The miniaturized segments were even crazier.
-Consistently better dialogue that was pretty amusing at times.

Still a bummer:
-Some of the assets and the ghetto UE2.5 or whatever variant still hold back the visuals at times.
-The weapon models still leave something to be desired.
-They do another "interlude" and while it's short, it's still kinda lame and awkward.
-There is still a decent amount of humor that falls flat.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this DLC expansion for DNF and it actually made me interested in getting a full-blown sequel to the game that is produced in a much tighter dev timeline.

Here a couple screens:

dukeforever2012-01-312jo9f.png

dukeforever2012-02-02unokm.png

And bought. May God have mercy on my soul.....

It seems like Rayman Origins will have the same DRM as Anno for most digital versions. It's unclear if the Steam version will also have it.

This how you not only crater out your PC customer base, this is how you turn it into a plane of smoking glass. Scorched earth.

I've had so many different computers and hardware upgrades over the last decade and I don't have a problem installing and playing Half-Life or Deus Ex but in a year or so that won't be true of Anno 2070. As a legitimate paying customer I'm going to have to either download a crack or jump through whatever customer service hoops to regain activations...which do you think will be the path of least resistance?

When the main concern about your business model isn't the paying customer, you're doing it wrong. Ubisoft has lost me as a customer, I'm not dealing with their bullshit DRM anymore.

Pineapple Smash Crew is fun. It's a twin-stick shooter that uses voxels, I guess? I'm not entirely sure how to describe the graphics. It's 3D models but they have a pixel quality to them so I guess that'd be voxels? Awesome chiptune music. 360 controller works good though I didn't see anywhere to customize controls. The controller only works in-game, everywhere a mouse is needed.

naib

Pineapple Smash Crew is fun. It's a twin-stick shooter that uses voxels, I guess? I'm not entirely sure how to describe the graphics. It's 3D models but they have a pixel quality to them so I guess that'd be voxels? Awesome chiptune music. 360 controller works good though I didn't see anywhere to customize controls.
Couldn't wait huh? :lol

I wasn't expecting 360 pad support. That's good news.
Does it look like it has any kind of global leaderboards? I'm guessing not, but I can't tell from Steam or the homepage.

This how you not only crater out your PC customer base, this is how you turn it into a plane of smoking glass. Scorched earth.

I've had so many different computers and hardware upgrades over the last decade and I don't have a problem installing and playing Half-Life or Deus Ex but in a year or so that won't be true of Anno 2070. As a legitimate paying customer I'm going to have to either download a crack or jump through whatever customer service hoops to regain activations...which do you think will be the path of least resistance?

When the main concern about your business model isn't the paying customer, you're doing it wrong. Ubisoft has lost me as a customer, I'm not dealing with their bullshit DRM anymore.

Fight on brave warrior.

Joe Molotov

The anno drm was patched out.

They only changed the part where it checked your GFX card, everything else is still in place AFAIK. 5 installs, and if you change your CPU, RAM, or mobo, it eats an install.

Edit: Actually, it's only 3 installs. I was giving them too much credit. :lol :(

Couldn't wait huh? :lol

I wasn't expecting 360 pad support. That's good news.
Does it look like it has any kind of global leaderboards? I'm guessing not, but I can't tell from Steam or the homepage.

Haha, yeah, I couldn't wait. No leaderboards, achievements, or anything like that. Doesn't even have a proper icon in the Steam library, lol. Hopefully it all comes in updates. But it's a lot of fun to play.

denomes

Slightly OT, but I didn't want to create a new thread:

Does anyone have a problem with the Steam version of Ultimate Doom not shutting down properly? I've searched around for a solution but haven't come up with anything.

Basically, if I launch the game and then exit, I am unable to shut down Steam afterward or re-launch the game because Steam says the game is still running. I also can't seem to find it under processes in Windows (if anyone knows the process name, that is probably the easiest solution because I can just kill it).

Any tips?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Use Zdoom and spoof the Steam .exe for doom with the Zdoom one.

This allows for flawless modern resolution support and you can still start it from your Steam list to feel good.

denomes

Use Zdoom and spoof the Steam .exe for doom with the Zdoom one.

This allows for flawless modern resolution support and you can still start it from your Steam list to feel good.

Thank you kindly, I suspected this might be the best solution. I'll look into it.

I've had a crazy Doom itch lately that needs scratching.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Ah what the hell, got all discounted DLC for Space Marine because I'm Relic's bitch (BUT YOU WON'T GET ME FULL PRICE!) and last page has sold me on Duke Nukem DLC without even having played the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is me today:

"Oh great, that Pixel Junk game came out. I have no idea which one this is or how it is, but people say good things about it on GAF. I never had a PS3, so now I can experiment with it"

click the banner, get into the store

"Oh, there's no demo for the game. I have no idea how this game plays (I don't own and I've never played the Playstation 3). I guess i'll wait for a price drop"

Moral: Make demos for your games, mang

Fight on brave warrior.

They're taking down their always-on authentication DRM servers for an undetermined amount of time while they transfer facilities
or some such nonsense. Nothing like rewarding paying customers with malware that doesn't function.

And yes I've had their awful DRM disable my single player games, their servers taking a shit rendered my single player games unplayable. I've written off what few Ubisoft purchases I've made, which, might I add, were already purchased at a significant discount due to their choice of DRM.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Anyone have an Alan Wake coupon they would trade for the equivalent of a game? I would go 5 dollars higher if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom