• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is a codename for Half-Life 3:

8mb0B.png

What do you all think?

:p

Volcynika

Anyone have an Alan Wake coupon they would trade for the equivalent of a game? I would go 5 dollars higher if need be.

What in the world are you talking about? It doesn't exist on Steam yet (no pre-order or listing), so there sure is no coupon. And every coupon released wouldn't work on a game released post-Jan 2nd or whatever.

And I guess people ignore the thread title over and over.

camerooni

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems with Steam reporting that login is incorrect through the webstore, or services like raptr, but working fine still in the client?

Blizzard

Banned
I have a really quick minipoll (and someone please tell me if this is in appropriate for the thread). I've been in the early game design phase for a serious game-programming attempt again, and though it might be a pipe dream, having it on Steam would be an eventual goal. My question is this:

If you liked games from the Advance Wars series, would you be interested in a new top-down, small-scale, turn-based strategy game on Steam? I feel like there is not a lot of small-scale turn-based strategy on Steam, and the Civ games are a much grander sense. Greed Corp is the main small-scale, tiled, turn-based game I'm aware of.

Ideally if I succeed I would end up with something that has unique mechanics, setting, units, etc., but which could use some similar ability/move/attack/capture, tiled, turn-based mechanics to Advance Wars. I'd like to aim for $10, like Greed Corp.

Petrie

Banned
I have a really quick minipoll (and someone please tell me if this is in appropriate for the thread). I've been in the early game design phase for a serious game-programming attempt again, and though it might be a pipe dream, having it on Steam would be an eventual goal. My question is this:

If you liked games from the Advance Wars series, would you be interested in a new top-down, small-scale, turn-based strategy game on Steam? I feel like there is not a lot of small-scale turn-based strategy on Steam, and the Civ games are a much grander sense. Greed Corp is the main small-scale, tiled, turn-based game I'm aware of.

Ideally if I succeed I would end up with something that has unique mechanics, setting, units, etc., but which could use some similar ability/move/attack/capture, tiled, turn-based mechanics to Advance Wars. I'd like to aim for $10, like Greed Corp.

Personally I only like AW because of the portability, but I'm certain you'd do great!

TheKurgan

Why doesn't Steam update my ATI drivers anymore? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Help me, I am too lazy to update drivers manually! =P

Blizzard

Banned
Personally I only like AW because of the portability, but I'm certain you'd do great!
That's actually a really good point. iOS or Android might be a better target, possibly for a port later on, but I've never owned one of those phones or done development on them yet so I'm starting with what I know. =P

absolutely! massive assault network is about the only thing on steam that really resembles advance wars. it's a damn shame the subgenre didn't take off after the success of nintendo's series. huge bonus points if you can incorporate some form of play-by-email.

Blizzard

Banned
absolutely! massive assault network is about the only thing on steam that really resembles advance wars. it's a damn shame the subgenre didn't take off after the success of nintendo's series. huge bonus points if you can incorporate some form of play-by-email.
Oddly enough this sort of mechanic was precisely what I started trying to do as practice leading up to the global game jam, but I ran out of time and then realized I had enough ideas to do a bigger project. I'll keep it in mind.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

There is one Advance Wars clone on Steam called Future Wars, but that's more of an example of what not to do. I'm in the market but it would have to be intuitive and fast paced. I completely lose interest when I have to spend a lot of time in menus. The units and the interface have to have good conveyance to make that genre work. Even the otherwise stellar Greed Corp faltered on that point.

Skulls of the Shogun is a good example of where that genre is headed.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Would it do anything differently/better then Massive Assault, Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy, Blood Bowl, Future Wars, Grotesque Tactics 1/2, Guardians of Graxia, etc... Cause that'd be your competition and if you aren't trying to provide something they aren't, you'd be wasting your time.

zkylon

zkylewd

Yeah, that sounds great.

Relax.MX

Something strange happens when I play Nation Red for more of 15-20 min, my PC just gets very slow(really really slow), until the point that I can not do anything (not even turn it off)...my only chance is turn it off the PC with the buttom "power" and when i restart the PC i have a lot of problems...(i use restauration point the last time because the game broke my windows start files)

Its not coincidence, happened to me twice and only with this game

PD: Thanks Confused for the game

Aselith

Goddamn, it is a pain in the ass to try to check what DLC you have in Steam. I WOULD look at the items in my cart to see if I have it since it's supposed to say but Like Last Stand Tau Commander it says I don't have it but it looks like there one that says that name in the DLC window EXCEPT I CAN'T FUCKING SEE IT because the name is too long and I see like the first two letters. What the fuck were they thinking?

Baha

Goddamn, it is a pain in the ass to try to check what DLC you have in Steam. I WOULD look at the items in my cart to see if I have it since it's supposed to say but Like Last Stand Tau Commander it says I don't have it but it looks like there one that says that name in the DLC window EXCEPT I CAN'T FUCKING SEE IT because the name is too long and I see like the first two letters. What the fuck were they thinking?

Bit of a work around but if you visit the store page for the dlc you'll know right away if you own it or not.

Something strange happens when I play Nation Red for more of 15-20 min, my PC just gets very slow(really really slow), until the point that I can not do anything (not even turn it off)...my only chance is turn it off the PC with the buttom "power" and when i restart the PC i have a lot of problems...(i use restauration point the last time because the game broke my windows start files)

Its not coincidence, happened to me twice and only with this game

PD: Thanks Confused for the game

Did you tried to uninstall the game, delete game folder and install it again bro?

wilflare

hope i don't get stoned
I have a 50% OFF Retributions COUPON if anyone wants

in any case, can't wait for Rayman to finally get on the store

Relax.MX

Did you check the temps of your cpu and gpu? maybe that could be the problem, or maybe some issue with your graphic card drivers, I think that you meet with the system requirements don't you?

Maybe is my drivers(ATI drivers sucks) because after that i played The Witcher 2, Deus Ex: HR and Rage just for checking but all have the same temps and same configuration as always

Maybe is my drivers(ATI drivers sucks) because after that i played The Witcher 2, Deus Ex: HR and Rage just for checking but all have the same temps and same configuration as always

I was reading on google that some people has some problems with ATI drivers, so I think that's the problem bro, I don't know if you could solve your problem by rolling back to a previous drivers, or maybe use a newer ones!

One question, this problem happens to you, when there's a lot of zombies on screen? Maybe your card can't handle such number of zombies, I'm just asking!

Omikron

Hullo Steam gaffers, not sure if any of you paid attention to my post a few weeks back at my little utility I was working on to edit Steam categories outside of steam. Mainly because I hate the Steam process, its ridiculously slow and a) I lost them from time to time and b) I couldn't be bothered categorising all my 200+ games list.

Anyway, after a few weeks work on and off I think I am finally done and you can download it if you are keen here: http://www.omiblog.com/2012/02/02/omikron-steam-category-utility-beta-1/

Although if you would take the time to read the short post about how to use it and do be careful and such. That would be grand. :)

Oh and some feedback would be nice too!

Go forth and categorise!

Screenshot etc:
main_screen.png

Joe Molotov

Is Kingdom of Amalur on Gamersgate the Steamworks version? I'm guessing not since it says it's published by EA and just says "Other DRM". I'd like to get it for $45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom