• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

I have a really quick minipoll (and someone please tell me if this is in appropriate for the thread). I've been in the early game design phase for a serious game-programming attempt again, and though it might be a pipe dream, having it on Steam would be an eventual goal. My question is this:

If you liked games from the Advance Wars series, would you be interested in a new top-down, small-scale, turn-based strategy game on Steam? I feel like there is not a lot of small-scale turn-based strategy on Steam, and the Civ games are a much grander sense. Greed Corp is the main small-scale, tiled, turn-based game I'm aware of.

Ideally if I succeed I would end up with something that has unique mechanics, setting, units, etc., but which could use some similar ability/move/attack/capture, tiled, turn-based mechanics to Advance Wars. I'd like to aim for $10, like Greed Corp.

Sorry to answer this late, but I am playing these last days Unity of Command a really neat wargame with an Advance Wars feeling and your poll came just at the right time because I'm having a blast with it! So to answer your question, absolutely. As someone already posted asynchronicity of multiplayer would be great too, and small battle scenarios would be a plus for fast games that would make the player quickly restart as soon as he finishes a game, or even play several simultaneously.

jediyoshi

Its pretty funny that people who look down on piracy and despise people that pay $.01 for Humble bundles are so eager to rip off IGN for a free game.

Good show, chaps.
If they didn't want free trialers to have access to the promotion, they'd block it off from them. Otherwise, they're still getting the promotion they want.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
If they didn't want free trialers to have access to the promotion, they'd block it off from them. Otherwise, they're still getting the promotion they want.

If they didn't want people to pay .01 dollars for their games they would have made them pay more. Otherwise, they're still getting the promotion they want.

I have never bought or commented on the indie bundles, but the man has a point.

jediyoshi

If they didn't want people to pay .01 dollars for their games they would have made them pay more. Otherwise, they're still getting the promotion they want.

I could have sworn I wasn't making a case for that whatsoever. Either way, right. Have they condemned people paying .01 dollars? Didn't they allow people to plead their case for paying that amount the time they cut it off due to a technicality?

SparkTR

Wow, did Eden ever even hit top 20?

No, and less than 900 people have finished the first level. I hope it picks up, I have no idea why it hasn't been in the top 5. Doesn't seem like they'll bother porting other Pixeljunk games over, which is a shame.

No, and less than 900 people have finished the first level. I hope it picks up, I have no idea why it hasn't been in the top 5. Doesn't seem like they'll bother porting other Pixeljunk games over, which is a shame.

No controller support and no multiplayer probably put a lot of people off it. I'm sure the mouse control is great but it seems like they made a pc port for 2005 rather than 2012.

SmokyDave

No controller support and no multiplayer probably put a lot of people off it. I'm sure the mouse control is great but it seems like they made a pc port for 2005 rather than 2012.

It's the lack of pad support that's stopped me double-dipping. I'm sure the new control system is awesome but that's no use to me because I play all my games on pad, my keyboard has a little trackpad built in that I use to select games but that would be unplayable in use.

I'll probably still buy it to show my support but the lack of pad controls is a real pisser :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Here is why you should want to get Rochard from that IGN promotion:

Stallion said:
So I just wrapped up Rochard, here are some thoughts:
  • I loved the art-style. They used a pastel-cartoon style that works really well with the environments and they pack in a good amount of visual variety. The color-grading is fantastic.
  • The game is a great showcase for the Unity Engine. Performance is rock solid and there are a lot of well-used visual effects. The only downside is the lack of anti-aliasing options, beyond FXAA/SMAA.
  • The controls feel really tight on the 360 pad and the final boss is a great example of this. Moving through the environment is a real pleasure.
  • The puzzles are interesting, though they never got as deep as I would have liked them to. There is some great potential shown with some of the laser puzzles, but the game never takes it any further. Still, they are satisfying to work through and there are none that poorly balanced in terms of difficulty.
  • The story is light-hearted and pleasant enough. The voice work is solid and the characters are fun.
  • The only real issue I had with the game was that the combat feels a little BS at times. Enemies can shoot at you from off screen sometimes and they throw you into a couple scenarios that are pretty much guaranteed to kill you the first time, taking you back to a checkpoint.

All in all, I had a really good time with the game. The in-game counter showed a completion time of roughly 5.5 hours and it definitely was solid content the whole way through. Easily worth the 10$.

Screens:

rochard2012-01-0712-1o9j3u.png

rochard2012-01-0422-5kojvy.png

rochard2012-01-0712-2evj55.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
IGN prime promo.
3rd free game I have gotten from IGN Prime trials. If they want to keep giving them out, I'll keep taking them up on it at the right times. I guess they have enough people who forget to disable automatic subscription to continue doing it, so we're kind of taking advantage of each other in some ethical grey zone.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Plus I heard that this year there was some kind of weird prophecy about the harve͎͘s̢ͩ̌̐̉͛̊ͧt̝̼̝̜̀͛ͧ́ ̖͍̯͖̣͆̎a̠̟͔̮̜̲̜̅̇̂ͪ̀͘w̯̳̘͂ͫ̍̍͘ä̢͕͕̬͔̗̟ͪ̋ͦ̾͞ͅḱ̡͉̳̱̤̗̑̈́̇̀͞e̢͖̰͙̣̦̣ͦͮ̇ͫ͌͞n̬ͧ͑͢͝i̶̮͍͈͍͆ͤ͡n͗̔͋ͦ̊͏̳͔g̶̫͉͓͙̘̪̖͔ͪ̎̏̕ ̠͎̺͓̅ͣ̇͑́͘͘t̰͋̌ͣͮ͗ͦ̑͞h̢͔͓̟̗͉̳̭̐ͦͬ̌ͧͤ͜e̵̡͎͖͖̝̒̉͌͊͂ͧͫ ̡̡͖͍͎̖̳̊͜ḫ̴̰̺̹͕͍͛͆͋̃̈͗̐̃͒̽ͦͯ̽̈ḁ̷̴̖̬̪ͨ̀̾ͤ̓͟͟͡ŗ͇̩̜̥̝͖͔̟͇̏̑̏̆̈́͊̔ͦ̽̿ͥ̐̾͆ͧ̏̉͂͘͢b̀ͨ̃͗͛ͧͯ̎̍͌̃͛ͨ҉͖̲̗̝̟̹̻̹̫͈̺͙̠̯͢͝iͭ̇̓̊͑̒ͮͬ͂́̀͐͂̎͝͏̳̯̳͖͙̲̟̤̞͓̖̝̱͟͠ͅn̷͈͖͙̞͍̉̇̐ͥͤ̓̊ͣ̌ͭ̃ͭͪͫ͌̈̒͛ͭ́͡͝g̸͇͓̲̤͓̔̋̉ͪ͛ͦͯͤ͋͊̀͠͠e̓ͨͭ̎̈́̽͌̄̓͋ͮ͘͏̱͖̣̪̭̺̥͕͍͎̤̭̣̲͞ͅr̵͉̞̲̞̞̤̠͍͚ͨ͗͊̉͞ͅ ͔̘͙̙̲̹̝̱̩̼͙͇̬͕̫̠̠̿̆ͥ̉͆ͣ͗ͨ͂ͨͯ̄̊͑̎͘ͅͅo͑̈́͗͆̍ͮ̾̽̃͊͜͜͡͠҉͇͉͍͈̩̠̝̤̮͈̣̖ͅf̙̱̖̠̭͔͔̣̺̬̗͇̳͈̠͙͓͆̓̒̿̕ͅ ̧̗̣̤͍̮̲̀̔ͭ̓̍́͟͠͡c͑͐̊̇ͨ͢͏͚̪̫̙̻̜͈̮̯̻̭̮̬̰̹͞ͅḩ̶̡͙̟̥͈̱͈̬͗̔̓ͥ́͘ͅa̦̭̜̠̲͎̜̖͕͍͒̋͗͋̈́͐̅͛͒͋ͧ͋ͬ̀̔͗̀̚͟͝o̧̞̬̞̗͉͇͇͓ͧ͑͐͊̇̃ͤ̄̏͜͡ș̵̷̟͓̤͔̞͚͉͍̣̮͔̙̮̩̫̻̟ͧ̅̅̓̋͒ͤͥ̐̚͟͠

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's only a matter of time before someone makes a thread title with those characters.

RetroGreg

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I bet once some Steam sales hit it will be worth the port and justify more. Especially for games already released on another system. Most people will wait for a sale and double dip then. That being said - I'll buy Eden over the weekend when I have time.

Magic: The Gathering – Tactics is Now Free to Play on Steam!

Magic: The Gathering - Tactics is a free to play, online tactical strategy game set in the rich, Magic: The Gathering Multiverse. Players build their collection of figures and spells from the five colors of Magic and create powerful spellbooks to summon and cast on the digital tabletop.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/201190/

Edit: I wonder if we'll see Realm of the Mad God today: http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/

It seems like a lot of titles that were added to the registry over the last month have been getting released this last week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Someone needs to tell Activision to put up the Wolverine game up on ... ANYWHERE already, I cannot find a DD copy of that game.
You're both good people. I'm craving for more Raven.

As far as Wolverine is concerned, it's still heavily published at retail across all platforms, so it escapes me as to why Acti are seemingly averse to spreading the game across the DD landscape.

Wolf '09, well... it's been sitting there doing nothing for years, general seasonal sale discounts and base price drops notwithstanding.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hate that Squeenix restricted DS and DS2 to the Steam-exclusive Dungeon Siege Complete edition. I can't purchase the game elsewhere knowing that I'm missing out on the previous two games.

Nymerio

Sooo Dawn of War... I'm not really too into RTS games, but it does look kinda interesting. What's gaf's verdict on that one? Sell me on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom