• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

vocab

Gotham City Impostors looks like a really fun game (going by Giantbomb's quick look at least), but hearing all this stuff about long matchmaking times has me doubting :I

Is this normal for a game that just launched, or will it only get worse?

People will be fed up with wait times, and the game slowly dies.happens to a lot of games. Avp(dead on arrival), hdr(backbone broke matchmaking), sfiv, etc.

Gotham City Impostors looks like a really fun game (going by Giantbomb's quick look at least), but hearing all this stuff about long matchmaking times has me doubting :I

Is this normal for a game that just launched, or will it only get worse?

But we’re not stopping with that. In March we’re going to release our very first DLC for the low, low price of FREE.
JOIN-IN-PROGRESS: Players can now join a match, even after it has started!
MATCHMAKING FIXES: Matchmaking has been totally revamped! Those errors you remember? They’re a thing of the past. Gone. Finito.
http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/...f-Impostors-yours-for-free!?p=31544#post31544

1-D_FTW

And that's why it was crossed off my list (despite digging the premise and loving Monolith). Nothing appears fixed from the beta and LIVE makes patches a PITA. March? Really? It's going to be so dead by then.

This whole premise is stupid. If they have so much DLC, why didn't they F2P this game. What a squandered opportunity. No body is going to pay 15 bucks (or almost nobody). Game is so DOA. And their precious DLC? They'll be no customer base to buy anything.

Joe Molotov

At least if they had gone Steamworks, Valve would have been more than happy to give them a free weekend when the update comes out to try to spur interest. But no, keep sucking on the dry, withered GFWL teat, WB.

daxy

And that's why it was crossed off my list (despite digging the premise and loving Monolith). Nothing appears fixed from the beta and LIVE makes patches a PITA. March? Really? It's going to be so dead by then.

This whole premise is stupid. If they have so much DLC, why didn't they F2P this game. What a squandered opportunity. No body is going to pay 15 bucks (or almost nobody). Game is so DOA. And their precious DLC? They'll be no customer base to buy anything.

Looks like the DLC apart from the Premium Card Packs is unlockable in the game anyway, so I personally don't have that much of a problem with it. They could've been a bit more generous with the pricing though. Nobody (sane) will pay that much for an avatar in a new game like this.

I'll check back on the game in March then, I guess. What a shame.

So getting a patch through is harder when it's on GFWL?

So, what's exactly the reason that pubs like WB and Capcom are sticking with the garbage wasteland of a service that is GFWL when everyone with a semi functioning brain has gone to somewhere else ?

Is MS just straight up paying for them to publish their games there just to have a small shred or relevancy in a market where they tried to "reclaim" but failed miserably ?

1-D_FTW

Looks like the DLC apart from the Premium Card Packs is unlockable in the game anyway, so I personally don't have that much of a problem with it. They could've been a bit more generous with the pricing though. Nobody (sane) will pay that much for an avatar in a new game like this.

I'll check back on the game in March then, I guess. What a shame.

So getting a patch through is harder when it's on GFWL?

There's certification (not sure how it works on PC, or if it's much faster than XBOX) and you're limited to two patches before MS starts charging.

The second bit is the killer. Because publishers never want to pay and deliberately hold off and try and make those two patches count (since they ain't paying for a third).

So, what's exactly the reason that pubs like WB and Capcom are sticking with the garbage wasteland of a service that is GFWL when everyone with a semi functioning brain has gone to somewhere else ?

Is MS just straight up paying for them to publish their games there just to have a small shred or relevancy in a market where they tried to "reclaim" but failed miserably ?

Probably makes ports cheaper if they can just port it from 360 with almost no changes.

inky

People will be fed up with wait times, and the game slowly dies.happens to a lot of games. Avp(dead on arrival), hdr(backbone broke matchmaking), sfiv, etc.

There were more people playing Mass Effect 1 and The Binding of Isaac than this yesterday that I checked. It's already dead.

How did they launch with 30 dls worth of DLC anyway, but not functioning matchmaking... That shit is outright disgusting.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, Rage is $14.99 and a friend offered me a 33% coupon, which would be 9.89.

... on the other hand, it'll probably be 7.50 or less during summer and I'm not likely to get to it :/

But what about us plebs that use ATI cards? Are they playing nice yet?

When I bought the game back in October, my rig had a HD4850, and I couldn't play it until I changed my card (now I have a 6850). Iirc, a lot of cards from a few different series could still have some troubles: anyone with an "old" card interested in buying it should be careful.

Relax.MX

Buy Rage. USD$15 for the third-best FPS this generation is a fair request.

No...no...no...like i said before, is good but boring, slooooow start, is just soulless, a meh 6/10 game...and the graphics SUCKs! but for 10 usd i buy it and trade it XO

No...no...no...like i said before, is good but boring, slooooow start, soulless, meh game...and the graphics SUCKs! but for 10 usd i buy it and trade it XO

I sort of agree with you. But it definitely has a je ne sais que feel to it. It just... Feels good.

But yeah boring through a lot of the beginning.

Relax.MX

I sort of agree with you. But it definitely has a je ne sais que feel to it. It just... Feels good.

But yeah boring through a lot of the beginning.

The last two levels was great!(like 2 hrs) but is the only fun part of the game.. they may have been a standard of gameplay for the rest of the game

Had a huge of potential... is a shame...id Software need to know that we are in 20XX, or play Half Life to learn a new generation

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone doesn't have Plants vs Zombies and is remotely interested, definitely pick that up. I was never a big tower defense person, but Plants vs Zombies and Defense Grid are both quite polished. Plants vs Zombies in particular is cute and funny.

Lumine

Plants vs Zombies is bloody excellent. I had no intention of even playing it until someone gifted it to me. Was hooked straight away.

edit: damn you!

So last night I was checking something in the store and it asked for my birth date... Forgetting that the date wasn't saved as I have upgraded my PC I must have hit the default which now makes it so I can't open the store page for any M rated game. Anyway to reset this in the client?

So last night I was checking something in the store and it asked for my birth date... Forgetting that the date wasn't saved as I have upgraded my PC I must have hit the default which now makes it so I can't open the store page for any M rated game. Anyway to reset this in the client?

Restarting the Steam client should do it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom