• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
What are the general fixes for screen tearing? I seem to get it in games even with Vsync on.

I'm using an ATI card if that information is somehow useful.
Are you sure it's tearing? If vsync is on and neither CCC/RadeonPro nor your game is force-overriding it off, then tearing should be literally impossible as far as I am aware.

My normal answer is to download the RivaTuner suite and run D3DOverrider specifically. You can use it to turn on vsync + triple buffering, and that typically runs pretty well.

iNvid02

I used their site when trying to optimize Deus EX: HR and I have to say, it's surprisingly competent. I'll be starting Skyrim one of these coming days, and will definitely be using this as my starting guide.

some say nvidia pays devs to optimize their games for their cards, i reckon it has some degree of truth to it

Are you sure it's tearing? If vsync is on and neither CCC/RadeonPro nor your game is force-overriding it off, then tearing should be literally impossible as far as I am aware.

My normal answer is to download the RivaTuner suite and run D3DOverrider specifically. You can use it to turn on vsync + triple buffering, and that typically runs pretty well.

I'm positive it is screen tearing. But maybe CCC is overriding it. I dunno.

Drop settings until you can keep a locked framerate that's equal to your refresh rate. If you still get screen tearing then it's time to start looking into a new GPU.

Sadly I'm gaming on a laptop so looking into a new GPU isn't an option. :(

I'll try lowering the setting as a last resort.

The new Steam update is out. I'm not sure how the Workshop works though.

FU6CV.jpg

what's awful is for those of us with contributions, it got rid of the quick access we had to the pages, and replaced it with that...

That menu was always there for contributors, but it used to only show their items, now it's been replaced and I miss it (since it made it quick to check the ratings on my stuff)

For the love of all that's sacred, DO NOT BUY DINO D-DAY. Feels like a bad Day of Defeat reskin, the concept is great and the loading screens can get a chuckle out of you, but that's it. Also, the community is dead, even during the Winter Sale when it had a Winter-themed achievement (that didn't count for the Big Pile of Coal in the end).

EDIT: Weird... Rochard just updated, and now it's starting to update again, this time downloading the whole game.

Relax.MX

I loving Tropico 3: Absolute Power right now(before i suck in this kind of games...my city always it goes bankrupt in 15 min XO), but after this first win of me XO im looking for something a little more complex...

Daily Deal - Dino D-Day $3.39 (66% off)

Edit: Beaten

Nabs is the official sales post man!!

Sober

What are the general fixes for screen tearing? I seem to get it in games even with Vsync on.

I'm using an ATI card if that information is somehow useful.
Use d3doverrider for vsync/triple buffering and force it on medium detection level and it's worked pretty much 95% of the time. Works fine for my old 4850 and my current 6870.

Nabs

Scoregasm (and soundtrack) might be hitting the storefront soon. I guess that's a good thing for you grid view guys.

dLMN8R

Was this really not mentioned in this thread? A Steam Client update just rolled out yesterday:

- Fixed roaming game categories and favorite settings being reset
- Added option to set server browser ping rate independently from download rate
- Fixed missing menu item for updating AMD video drivers
- Fixed launching of 64-bit games with "-" in the command line
- Improved in-game overlay compatibility for some 64-bit game executables
- Added ability to handle proxies that require "basic" auth when downloading games using the new content system
- Improved support of concurrent user sessions from multiple platforms
- Fixed cloud enabled games sometimes not launching until the client is restarted. Also fixed the Steam client showing a “Waiting for cloud sync” dialog at exit forever when in this state.
- Updates to workshop APIs for upcoming Steamworks games
FINALLY

JustinBB7

Was this really not mentioned in this thread? A Steam Client update just rolled out yesterday:

FINALLY

Well it was in the beta for weeks. I'm sure it was mentioned back then. A new beta client went up straight away after this got out. With a few fixes for the web browser overlay.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is coming soon and should be gfwl.

So, I played through ITSP. I liked it. I played it from start to finish in one sitting of 4.5-5 hours. It had something of a Metroidvania vibe. I liked the pace. I recommended it on GAF.

... but every day that went by after I played it, I felt like I liked it less. The level design was quite bland. While new abilities unlocked new progress, there wasn't the kind of density that a good Metroidvania provides, and I never felt like there were secrets hidden everywhere. It was really short. It was pretty unremarkable in terms of gameplay/combat. The art design is neat, but it stands out less now than it did while I was playing it.

So if you're hesitating on this game and the GFWL news maybe pushed you over the line not to buy it... that's probably a good thing.

Ledsen

I'd say the combat was the big shortcoming of ITSP. The level design wasn't that good, but at least it kept you going and the puzzles were a fun distraction. The combat, however, was terrible, and the game is best played simply flying past all enemies.

ShaneB

I feel weird when I say I kinda wish more games were Steamworks + GFWL... I basically want the greatness of Steam and everything about it, but I like being logged into Xbox Live since I have a bunch of friends there.

I guess I'd be happier if they just switched to pc gaming and Steam as well :D

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition $ 39.99

Downloadable Content For Fallout: New Vegas $ 45.94
$3.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas®: Gun Runners’ Arsenal™
$1.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas®: Courier’s Stash™
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas®: Lonesome Road™
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money

So it's cheaper to buy the Ultimate edition rather than the DLC for the game I already own. Bullshit.

Nabs

I feel weird when I say I kinda wish more games were Steamworks + GFWL... I basically want the greatness of Steam and everything about it, but I like being logged into Xbox Live since I have a bunch of friends there.

I guess I'd be happier if they just switched to pc gaming and Steam as well :D

Just turn on your 360.

I loving Tropico 3: Absolute Power right now(before i suck in this kind of games...my city always it goes bankrupt in 15 min XO), but after this first win of me XO im looking for something a little more complex...

If you like Tropico and would like something a little more complex, can I suggest Patrician?

Many of the fundamentals of Tropico are there, you just have a much bigger canvas to work with

JustinBB7

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition $ 39.99

Downloadable Content For Fallout: New Vegas $ 45.94
$3.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas®: Gun Runners’ Arsenal™
$1.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas®: Courier’s Stash™
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas®: Lonesome Road™
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas: Old World Blues
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts
$9.99 USD
Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money

So it's cheaper to buy the Ultimate edition rather than the DLC for the game I already own. Bullshit.

Good thing I waited! I put Fallout 3 Ultimate on my wishlist and after I did I read that New Vegas would get a Ultimate edition as well. So I'll put it on my wishlist now.

Hi, guys. If I deleted DLC from a game a while ago, can I reinstall the DLC without reinstalling the entire game? I'm sure there has to be a way but I am just not seeing it.

Good thing I waited! I put Fallout 3 Ultimate on my wishlist and after I did I read that New Vegas would get a Ultimate edition as well. So I'll put it on my wishlist now.

With sales, I think I ended up getting everything listed for a lot less than $40. I wanna say $25 or so, but not totally sure.

Hi, guys. If I deleted DLC from a game a while ago, can I reinstall the DLC without reinstalling the entire game? I'm sure there has to be a way but I am just not seeing it.

Verify game data, maybe?

ShaneB

Just turn on your 360.

That doesn't help with the whole playing games together thing :(

With sales, I think I ended up getting everything listed for a lot less than $40. I wanna say $25 or so, but not totally sure.

Less than than that, think it ended up at like 18 bucks or something. Really wish I had picked up the dlc, but after playing Fallout 3, and now Skyrim, I think I'll take a break from these open world rpg's for quite a while. It'll be cheap eventually!

Speaking of New Vegas, it would be cool (but unlikely) if they hooked up mods for NV to use the Workshop like Skyrim.

But I don't really see a financial benefit to doing so, so I doubt they'd bother

I feel the same way. Arkham City got it right if you ask me

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I picked up all the DLC for New Vegas for 11.50 combined during the recent sales...

I somehow missed out on the past DLC sales, but I'm ready to play them now so I hope there is a sale soon. I can't justify paying full price for them when they've been so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom