• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brings back memories of messing with the config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up every bit of system resources before playing a game. Now I dont even take the time to close the dozen browser tabs i have open or videos i have paused.

jediyoshi

Jediyoshi, do you know or are you guessing on the bold?

I don't know, there's an option under parameters > In game > Activate Steam Comunity in game

Was curious to know what happens if i uncheck that.

And thanks for answering guys.
Yes, it's the overlay which also allows for Steam stuff to pop up. You can check it in task manager as GameOverlayUI.exe Just guessing on achivements, but it seems like a pretty major thing to omit a warning from.

ArjanN

Brings back memories of messing with the config.sys and autoexec.bat to free up every bit of system resources before playing a game. Now I dont even take the time to close the dozen browser tabs i have open or videos i have paused.

To be honest I don't think there's any reason to turn the steam overlay off to save memory, unless you've managed to install steam on a Commodore 64.

ElRenoRaven

Was randomly clicking and added a couple interesting looking games to my wishlist for the future:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/104020/

Storm in a Teacup - Interesting looking physics based platformer. Only 5 bucks, but hey, it ain't getting played before the sales anyways.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/111100/

Snuggle Truck - Aside from looking like one of iNvidious01's Steam skins, it looks like a Joe Danger style game. Only 5 bucks, but hey, it ain't getting played before the sales anyways.

I really don't get why these cats don't release demos with their game. If you're going to price it at impulse levels, put out a demo to tempt people.

OH Snuggle Truck looks really interesting. I love little games like that.

There seems to be some of interest in Snuggle Truck so I'll post some impressions for it.

You press up to go forward, and left and right to tilt your truck. That's it. There are some power ups and stuff but that's the basics of the game. You have to get to the end of a level without a lot of your little stuffed animals falling out of the back of your truck. So naturally all the levels are hilly, and bumpy and full of loops and what not.

I've got an hour or so in it right now and I'm about to get on the "extreme" level tier. I don't have an exact count of how many levels there are but it's probably around 50. There is a level editor and a play other people's levels area too so I guess you could say there are much more than that in there. You progress through the main levels by getting medals (get all the way through a level without dropping an animal, make it through fast, mixture of those last two). Despite the different tilesets, most of the levels feel the same though.

You can definitely tell it used to be some sort of phone game or something (not that thats a particularly bad thing), as it has all the "premium features" unlocked right away (truck skins and what not). The menus are in 4:3 for some reason, the launcher has resolution and graphics settings, you can alt tab out easily. There are achievements if you're into that sort of thing. Some are goofy, most are get this 200 times or that 300.

Overall it's cheap and it's pretty fun. It's not as skillful or meticulous as trials or something (never played Joe Danger but that seemed a lot more 'platformy' than this). You don't really need a brain to play it. Seems a lot more rooted in luck then I'd prefer (if you hit one rock just the wrong way ALL the animals fly out, next time you attempt it they barely shift around). I'll probably play it for another hour or so before never touching it again. Apparently there is a demo, so if they give you a bunch of levels in that you're probably fine just playing through that a bunch of times till your itch is scratched unless you REALLY want some more. And even then you can probably find a flash game that can keep your time as well.

Card Boy

Banned
Will people even be able to activate CoJ if they buy it? I thought Ubisoft had taken down their authentication/always-on DRM servers for an indeterminate amount of time to move them. It would be funny if that was the case.

The Cartel is Steamworks with Uplay. I believe if Uplay goes down you can still play it, it doesn't have always online DRM.

I will say one thing about The Cartel, its better than Duke Nukem Forever, so that isn't saying much.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What dosbox stuff I need to do to make Dark Forces run in a 1280x960 window? I assume it wouldn't be possible to increase the world resolution without something like DarkXL (which isn't working) right?

I usually run hexen via zdoom and descent rebirth to get high res with no texture or sprite filtering and that'd be cool with this. I feel kind of silly wanting higher res worlds while enjoying the pixelated textures, UI, weapons, and enemies, but whatev.

ElRenoRaven

There seems to be some of interest in Snuggle Truck so I'll post some impressions for it.

You press up to go forward, and left and right to tilt your truck. That's it. There are some power ups and stuff but that's the basics of the game. You have to get to the end of a level without a lot of your little stuffed animals falling out of the back of your truck. So naturally all the levels are hilly, and bumpy and full of loops and what not.

I've got an hour or so in it right now and I'm about to get on the "extreme" level tier. I don't have an exact count of how many levels there are but it's probably around 50. There is a level editor and a play other people's levels area too so I guess you could say there are much more than that in there. You progress through the main levels by getting medals (get all the way through a level without dropping an animal, make it through fast, mixture of those last two). Despite the different tilesets, most of the levels feel the same though.

You can definitely tell it used to be some sort of phone game or something (not that thats a particularly bad thing), as it has all the "premium features" unlocked right away (truck skins and what not). The menus are in 4:3 for some reason, the launcher has resolution and graphics settings, you can alt tab out easily. There are achievements if you're into that sort of thing. Some are goofy, most are get this 200 times or that 300.

Overall it's cheap and it's pretty fun. It's not as skillful or meticulous as trials or something (never played Joe Danger but that seemed a lot more 'platformy' than this). You don't really need a brain to play it. Seems a lot more rooted in luck then I'd prefer (if you hit one rock just the wrong way ALL the animals fly out, next time you attempt it they barely shift around). I'll probably play it for another hour or so before never touching it again. Apparently there is a demo, so if they give you a bunch of levels in that you're probably fine just playing through that a bunch of times till your itch is scratched unless you REALLY want some more. And even then you can probably find a flash game that can keep your time as well.

Oh I'm so gonna pick it up when I can then. I love the sound of it. I remember there was an old flash monster truck game where you'd climb the hills and stuff with controls like that.

Oh I'm so gonna pick it up when I can then. I love the sound of it. I remember there was an old flash monster truck game where you'd climb the hills and stuff with controls like that.
Glad I didn't scare you away. That came out more negative sounding than I wanted it to.
It used to be Smuggle Truck.

Guess why it got changed.

Yeah I heard that...

Still makes you wonder why there is a big fence and flag... right in front of a zoo.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
What dosbox stuff I need to do to make Dark Forces run in a 1280x960 window? I assume it wouldn't be possible to increase the world resolution without something like DarkXL (which isn't working) right?

I usually run hexen via zdoom and descent rebirth to get high res with no texture or sprite filtering and that'd be cool with this. I feel kind of silly wanting higher res worlds while enjoying the pixelated textures, UI, weapons, and enemies, but whatev.
Open Dosbox.conf in Notepad (should be in \Steam\steamapps\common\dark forces), and under [sdl] add "windowresolution = 1280 x 960" without quotes.

If you want to remove jaggies it seems you have to use DarkXL. I tried it, it's nice being able to mouse aim better, but I decided to stick with dosbox instead because I see people complaining about crashes on certain levels and weird gameplay quirks with the engine like Stormtroopers being able to see you in the dark.

Dice

Hmmmm... didn't work. No time to mess with this more today. Must sleep.

Dice

Okay, the window size stuff really does nothing but aspect correction and x3 scaler get's it to good enough for what it is.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I just played Jamestown after having it sitting in my backlog for months, and boy, I'm unimpressed.

I really, really like bullet hell shooters. Especially the Touhou series, but I even have a blast with Gundemonium and most other stuff.
Jamestown however.. I don't know. My points:

The graphics. While I like the general style of it, I absolutely hate how they incorporated that style into the gameplay. When almost every opponent melts with the background, when you have no idea what actually IS an enemy and what's just animated background stuff, and when those stupid glowing, animated, golden, shiny, huge cogs you're supposed to collect are way more appearant than your enemy's bullets, then something's seriously not working for me. On higher difficulties, only 10% of my deaths are caused by me playing bad, but because I have no fucking idea what just hit me over all the stuff flying through. So while the graphics are georgeous in stills, I find them very, very distracting - to say the least - in terms of actual gameplay.

The music. I'd love the music if this would be some kind of Zelda-Clone, or an RPG. For a shooter, it just doesn't fit very well. There's no sence of urgency or drama in the music, it's just a 'nice' BGM that could probably fit every genre, well, except for freaking bullet-hell shooters. But yeah, this is probably just me.

The gameplay. You know, I'm not particulary great with shooters, but I like them. If you manage to get another wave of enemies, you feel like you accomplished something, and if you die, you get instant feedback on how you're playing. Both of these points simply don't work well with Jamestown.
The bullets appear to me to be totally random. With japanese shooters, even if things go insanely difficult, there's always this sense of beauty in those millions of bullets flying over your screen, like a carefully orchestrated laser show. You don't actually look on your ship or the bullets, but you see everything happening "down there" just from the corner of your eye. You can predict the bullets once they're on the screen, and you feel how close they are to you. Not in Jamestown. Everything feels random and not the slightest bit beautiful, hell, in most cases you can't even see a pattern, and if you can, it's pretty unimaginative. There is no reason to be proud of surviving stuff, because every time you are at the same point, things happen totally different. The thing is, there's something off even if there's a pattern that looks easy. I can't really put it in words here, but there's no flow to get into, if that makes any sense. It just doesn't feel right. And all that glowy, floating shit doesn't help :/
Also, there's something seriously wrong with the balancing of that huge laser beam thingy (that feels weak as fuck) and the standard shooting (that feels even weaker). I don't know, it just feels like the devs wanted to make up for the lacking forementioned "orchestrated" kind of difficulty by just making everything harder to destroy, even the tiniest little enemys.

Oh well, this has gotten far longer than I thought it would be. I really want to like this game, but I can't, and I feel kinda sorry. But yeah, maybe there are others with similar feelings about Jamestown.

tl;dr: I thought Jamestown would be awesome but for various reasons it's not - at least not for me.

1-D_FTW

This was like $.50 back during the 2010 Holiday sale. I picked it up, but I still haven't played it yet.

Anybody Played it yet? Is it any good?

I picked it up then too.

It's a puzzle game. You basically create clones of yourself that perform actions on screen. While these past selves of yours loop their action, you manipulate the rest of the puzzle to complete things. I initially enjoyed it, but it became "work" to me when you started having to have a bunch of past selves performing intricately choreographed actions. For people who like puzzle games, I'm sure it's a blast though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I believe JaseC. I BELIEVE.

truebloodfistbumpnu2g.gif

Also, he announced they were releasing a browser-based version of Half-Life, is that true too???

As a matter of fact... :eek:

You guys have any idea why all my games seem to think Steam is in offline mode? I try to play MW3 and it just says "Must be signed into Steam in online mode to play" and the overlay just says "BlahBlah not available in offline mode".

Yet, everything works fine when not in game.

MRORANGE

You guys have any idea why all my games seem to think Steam is in offline mode? I try to play MW3 and it just says "Must be signed into Steam in online mode to play" and the overlay just says "BlahBlah not available in offline mode".

Yet, everything works fine when not in game.

steam is currently down.

plc268

HL3, is that you?!

In my dreams, this would be exactly how HL3 is launched. No announcement, no preview, no nothing. Just a random day on steam, and then BAM... HL3.

Quite frankly, with how long it's been, it's the only appropriate way to release HL3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom