• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Talk me down from Curiosity-Buying Amalur.
It's a great game. Any problems people mention become minor once you get into the thick of it, but it's not going anywhere. Finish up what you got and wait for a steam sale. There will probably be a major update by then that fixes the niggling issues.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

I'm having more fun with Amalur than Skyrim, the latter which I basically praised here, there and everywhere and put 120 hours into so far; gonna be a bit hard for me to talk you down. I'm going to use Skyrim as a reference since Amalur feels closest to a Fable/WoW/Skyrim hybrid to me.

Not really any spoilers ahead, just talk of game mechanics, but if you're on complete blackout or something don't read any further. Also anything that seems spoilerish here is in a loading screen tip, tutorial or menu.

So, potential negatives: besides the steep price, there's a shitty and unrepresentative demo, no mods, no adjustable FOV atm, no marriage, a kind of lighthearted fable-y feel (minus any goofiness like farting) and a colorful palette which is personal preference. No bleakness, earth tones or piss filters here. Interacting with the environment is limited to pickpocketing, shrines, looting highlighted household furniture (a la Fable), unlocking/unwarding chests, levers, disarming traps, opening secret doors/caches, diving for loot, smashing crates & vases and picking plants for alchemy. No picking up mundane objects like tankards or plates off the table or knocking them around the castle with a fireball, so there's some lost freedom and physics there. There's a huge open world that doesn't allow fast travel to major cities straight off, only to places you've visited on foot (a plus for me, but hey). Invisible walls, you can't climb over mountains but you can wander off far from home early on and get your ass kicked. You can only jump at flagged locations (usually off platforms). It can be a bit repetitive and feel single player mmo-y like the other big open world games. Starts off rather slow and as usual most side quests are fetch this, kill this or go clear out this dungeon with the storyline quests being better. Dungeons/tombs/caves are interesting enough but Skyrim mostly has them beat.

The positive: Great local and world map system for the huge world, to the point you'll eventually be able to see everything on it with the right skills. Crafting is great, breaking down gear for components to custom build gear especially. Alchemy from picking plants. Making and socketing gems into gear from found shards. The random statted loot, uniques and sets with colors showing level of quality give me a Diablo-WoW-lite feel that keeps killing/looting/finding hidden caches interesting. Skill trees (persuasion, stealth, alchemy, lockpicking etc.) have milestones kind of like perks, such as x points in detect hidden skill will let you find secret caches or doors and x points in *crafting ability* will let you produce better quality items/gear. The ability trees are basically talent trees like WoW that let you choose/improve new spells and/or special moves for each weapon type. Pretty much your typical mage/rogue/warrior trees with elemental, poison and physical damage systems.

There are more stat building aspects like twists of fate cards which you earn by doing quests, permanent bonuses from finding all the lorestones in a given area, and destinies that unlock based on how many points you've put into what tree(s) with useful passive bonuses based on that class/hybrid. So as you can see, the game runs pretty deep. It also has a huge amount of content if you choose to go through it all, but (and this may seem familiar) if you just follow the main story line it'll just take a fraction of the time. Either way it's a lengthy game. What trumps all for me though is the combat and wonderful spell and attack animations/acrobatics make you feel like a bad ass. Haven't really experienced this in a single player RPG much. On a final note the VA is just fine, better or on par with Skyrim and fully voiced.

I would've never jumped at $60; I'm only able to make this post because Arken paid half of it. I feel like $30 was a steal at this point, but I'm sure it'll be on sale before too long. Anyway, hope this helped.

Zimbardo

if you, or anyone else, are still interested in the game, you might be able to get it off Gamefly for $48 and then register it on EA's Origin.

check your email and see if Gamefly sent you a message containing a 20% off coupon. (if you were a past Direct2Drive user, you should have this email)

Baha

~1 hour left to join my The Witcher Steamgifts giveaway! It seems that there are some problems logging in the site, I know it sucks for thos who can't enter... But then it wouldn't be fair for those who already entered.

------

I haven't see any talk here about Crazy Machines Elements. Any impressions out there? I dig those screenshots, it could be a decent puzzle game.

Seeing how login is currently disabled, last chance was yesterday before the steam servers went down for a bit unless some people are still logged in.

louiedog

Seeing how login is currently disabled, last chance was yesterday before the steam servers went down for a bit unless some people are still logged in.

I missed the giveaway yesterday, saw it today and managed to enter with one minute left because I was already logged in.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i want to game on my lackluster PC

i bought dungeons of dredmor off steam and i loveeee itttt

any other indie, low-spec classics i should check out?

svegis

Very good choice! From the top of my head, the ones I've had on hardware that runs Dredmor, Frozen Synapse, Binding of Isaac and Atom Zombie Smasher. I've only been on this one for a month so I don't have that many more examples for you.

Edit: Adding games that I haven't tried on this hardware. Toki Tori, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies, Peggle, Spacechem and Bit Trip Beat/Runner. All I can think of right now.

Speevy

Banned

If you have a PC that uses the latest Intel HD Graphics 3000, a ton of games will play on it at 30 FPS and medium or better.

MRORANGE

heads up:

Be Mine Indie Game Bundle

in 24 hours 5 games will be available to buy at any price you want. ($1 min)

the games are:

- Wasteland Angel (PC Steam only),
- Sideway New York (PC Steam only),
- Xotic (PC Download + Steam),
- Beep (PC/MAC download + PC Steam),
- The Ball (PC download + Steam)

Baha

heads up:

the games are:

Thanks for the heads up, will be buying this tomorrow for sure.

The_End

heads up:

the games are:

It's only available for 24 hours? That wont be a problem for me, but it does seem like a rather short period of time to have a bundle available for.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I misread your post. It begins in 24 hours.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Ball is pretty legit. I forgot I owned it till the Portal 2 content was added (also great) and then I plowed through it in like two days. The mechanics are quite cool and the art is solid throughout.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Looks good. Xotic and The Ball I already own, though, but I can spare a few bucks for the others.

To those who don't yet own The Ball, the Be Mine bundle is worth the price of admission for the Portal 2 ARG content alone.

Aaron

heads up:

the games are:

I own none of those. Very excited for a bundle I can actually buy.

MNC

Binding of Isaac is the bane of my fury. I had the-best-run-EVER with full tears and charge shot + rock and whatnot, even got the shovel to skip a level had I wanted to. got to mom, I ran way too fast, into enemies, and I fucked up and now I'm sad and angry. :(

ArjanN

Does anyone have any impressions on GoT? I'm familiar with SoIF but all I know about the game is that it exists.

I'm assuming you're talking about Game of Thrones - Genesis:

I played it for an hour, seemed like a pretty mediocre RTS with some light Game of Thrones dressing on it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
heads up:

the games are:

I own Xotic, Beep, and the Ball but will pick this up for Sideway New York and Wasteland Angel. If it's got separate Steam codes, I'll post the ones I'm not using here tomorrow :)

Weenerz

Banned
Binding of Isaac is the bane of my fury. I had the-best-run-EVER with full tears and charge shot + rock and whatnot, even got the shovel to skip a level had I wanted to. got to mom, I ran way too fast, into enemies, and I fucked up and now I'm sad and angry. :(

Never skip a level imo, you miss out on too many potential goodies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm not sure what's more ridiculous. The likelihood that I may not be able to get that bundle, or that I want it when I have barely been touching even the AAA games of my backlog.

jediyoshi

I own Xotic, Beep, and the Ball but will pick this up for Sideway New York and Wasteland Angel. If it's got separate Steam codes, I'll post the ones I'm not using here tomorrow :)
Anyone find it in the registry yet? Seems like something that'd either be up by now or not.

Counter-Strike Global Offensive will have the same invite beta as Dota 2. They'll send invites out soon and each person gets a invite or two to give to friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom