• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabbo

Maybe i'm missing something. They all seem to want money for their services. With Skype you need a webcam just to make a call. Can't do video. Mumble it seems you need to pay for a server.

If i'm missing something obvious please tell me.

You can make free audio calls over skype to another skype user

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe i'm missing something. They all seem to want money for their services. With Skype you need a webcam just to make a call. Can't do video. Mumble it seems you need to pay for a server.

If i'm missing something obvious please tell me.
you don't need a webcam to call someone with skype. I don't have one and I use it all the time

zkylon

zkylewd
from my experience steam voice chat isn't so good, I can't remember if you can use it with more than one person at the same time, either.

but it works, that's for sure

Nabs

from my experience steam voice chat isn't so good, I can't remember if you can use it with more than one person at the same time, either.

but it works, that's for sure

It's better than it used to be, and you can use it in a group chat.

Which Jedi Knight game is the best? I remember watching my brother play a 3rd person game back in the late 90s, it looked awesome.

For me it goes Jedi Knight> Jedi Academy> Outcast.

I honestly believe Jedi Academy is incredibly underrated in terms of the missions. Seems like people just really hated the different approach it has, but in terms of actual levels/level design I by far prefer Academy. Outcast has a better story though I guess

It's only the best Star War singleplayer game.

I could never get into the single player of these maybe I was far too caught up in multiplayer. I remember never getting past the first areas in both Academy and Outcast. I played Outcast competitively for ages though. I honestly don't think I could stomach them enough to slog through it these days. I love how there are still servers to join though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Try this: RaidCall

I've been using it for quite some time and it's really good. Much better than skype definitely. Or even mumble I'd say.

Teamspeak is the best goddamn voice chat software that exists, you just have to have a server (it can be local, on your machine) and not be a complete idiot.

It's the only Team Voice Chat application that I've used in the last 15 years that has proper voice activation and can be properly configured to only be active when you're talking, provided that you have a decent headset (and is not an idiot, as stated before).

With that said, I've heard about RaidCall. Never actually used it. Is it P2P only or does it have a server-based structure?

Dizzy-4U

Teamspeak is the best goddamn voice chat software that exists, you just have to have a server (it can be local, on your machine) and not be a complete idiot.

It's the only Team Voice Chat application that I've used in the last 15 years that has proper voice activation and can be properly configured to only be active when you're talking, provided that you have a decent headset (and is not an idiot, as stated before).

With that said, I've heard about RaidCall. Never actually used it. Is it P2P only or does it have a server-based structure?

From the softpedia description:

Raidcall uses the Client-Server Model to transfer data, rather than using the P2P Model such as Skype, which takes up more bandwidth from user. When user is talking in this Client-Server model, RaidCall sends one stream of data to the RaidCall server , then the server broadcasts it to other users in the same channel. So it requires very little bandwidth for voice communication and support more than 1000 slots per channel.

Basically, you create a room and invite people over. From there, it kinda works like an irc channel. You can mod someone, ban, etc. Once the channel is created, it stays there and they can join even if you are not around.

I really like it because I have a crappy 1mb connection and it's the only program where I can talk to 6/7 poeple without running out of bandwidth. Didn't noticed any lag either.

Xanathus

Just finished Walking Dead, ending leaves me feeling pretty
meh (filler text goes here)
. Won't be paying more than $10 for the sequel. It's not a bad game but it's worth about that much, it's definitely no Bioshock Infinite.

I could never get into the single player of these maybe I was far too caught up in multiplayer. I remember never getting past the first areas in both Academy and Outcast. I played Outcast competitively for ages though. I honestly don't think I could stomach them enough to slog through it these days. I love how there are still servers to join though.

You have to slog through until you get your lightsabre. Then it becomes amazing.

MNC

Just finished Walking Dead, ending leaves me feeling pretty
meh (filler text goes here)
. Won't be paying more than $10 for the sequel. It's not a bad game but it's worth about that much, it's definitely no Bioshock Infinite.

What surprises me is that the game actually took a lot of notes from the series/comic, instead of diverting into its own quirks (
Sawing off hands, farms, RV, and more
Stuff that, now that I am watching the series after playing the game, make me go: "Hey, they did something like this in the game as well." I dunno, doesn't really bother me, I think, but noticed a bit more similarities than I thought I would.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I had hoped that System Shock would be released May 1st. I guess there is still no official date?

Not even a registry entry short of it lurking in the shadows as a VTA. I'd thought the game showing up on GamersGate signified a Steam release was imminent, but apparently not.

MNC

Renegade Ops is a perfectly fine timewaster. About 8 levels, each level lasts about 20-30 minutes and it's pretty much mindless arcade-y shooting. Is probably a lot more fun in multiplayer than singleplayer (nobody wanted to play with me :( )

Sini

Renegade Ops is a perfectly fine timewaster. About 8 levels, each level lasts about 20-30 minutes and it's pretty much mindless arcade-y shooting. Is probably a lot more fun in multiplayer than singleplayer (nobody wanted to play with me :( )
If you are from Europe and want to play add me on Steam.

Xanathus

What surprises me is that the game actually took a lot of notes from the series/comic, instead of diverting into its own quirks (
Sawing off hands, farms, RV, and more
Stuff that, now that I am watching the series after playing the game, make me go: "Hey, they did something like this in the game as well." I dunno, doesn't really bother me, I think, but noticed a bit more similarities than I thought I would.
Yeah I noticed that too and was okay with it in the initial episodes but it got annoying by the time I reached the last episode because it started coming off as lazy copying of tropes by the game's writers rather than being neat references/nods to the comic. Maybe it was just because I was aggravated by the lack of impact from the choices by then.

cicero

Gamersgate daily deals:

XCOM is showing $15.00 for me. :(
Yeah, the price was raised about 2 hours back
I used to give them the benefit of the doubt when it came to stuff like this, now I view it as classic bait-and-switch tactics. I have seen no other digital distribution service pull consistent BS like this. My gut told me to insta-buy it but I went to sleep instead, I should have known better by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom