• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samyy

Uhh is anyone else getting the issue where Steam just says checking for updates but never actually updates anything?

It freezes here and I cant play any games :x

Syril

i was hoping to be able to play some battlefront 2 today, with all the cd key issues...guess not :(

How long does this type of issue take to resolve? I'm not sure whether to be understanding on the basis that things like this happen sometimes or enraged because Steam allowed me to purchase a product that doesn't work with no warning whatsoever.

Joe Molotov

How long does this type of issue take to resolve? I'm not sure whether to be understanding on the basis that things like this happen sometimes or enraged because Steam allowed me to purchase a product that doesn't work with no warning whatsoever.

A couple of days.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Recap of all current Steam sales for those who missed it the other day. Not much has changed.

And yeah, Gamersgate changing the XCOM price is shitty. Their unimpressive spring sale is ending soon as well so if there's anything you want from the long list now would be the time to pick it up. Next up: Steam Summer Sale! Going to sleep until it's here, bbl.

Just want to thank xelios for always compiling those lists. Just epic :D

Gotta reduce my backlog before getting more games. It's getting out of hand :(

Is Kentucky Route Zero any good?
It's interesting, hard to call it good yet as it's early days. Unless you're the kind of person who just buys into something for aesthetic reasons. Then go ahead, because it's very well presented. Does feel very iPad centric too, but not to its detriment (as per Sword and Sworcery). Check the OT.

Kentucky Route Zero is kind of like an adventure game only the gameplay primarily consists of dialogue choices with NPC's. It's weird, kind of surreal and I found it to be pretty compelling. First episode only took a little over an hour for me to play through, eagerly waiting the next one.

zychi

Banned
Anyone know how to fix the sound issues with Sleeping Dogs? Google tells me to update my drivers, but they are all updated. The characters voices in cut scenes are extremely quiet.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
graphics don't make the game any better and the PS3 version looked damn good...I deleted the game after 30 mins, it was too shallow and repetitive.
I didn't like it either. The vehicle handling feels wrong, for some reason, and there's a stupid timer which prevents you from exploring the level at your own pace.

Are the Skyrim DLCs worth it? Been thinking of playing through it again with mods and saw they wereon sale on GMG

Dawnguard and Dragonborn are worth it, Hearthfire is not. Dawnguard adds a new faction, provides a skill tree that makes using the werewolf form worthwhile, which can boost the Companion questline, and it also adds the vampire form and skilltree. Dragonborn adds a substantial new area to play through, probably took me twenty hours to plow through with my OP character.

graphics don't make the game any better and the PS3 version looked damn good...I deleted the game after 30 mins, it was too shallow and repetitive.

Graphics definitely make any game better. The effect may be slight, but graphics always improve a game.

I will agree though, I found Renegade Ops not the least bit captivating.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
There's a not-tagged Spec Ops: The Line spoiler in the first page of a damn "Justin Bieber may be getting arrested" thread in the OT of all places. I don't even know how big of a spoiler it is, but I'm posting about it here for anyone like me buying the game in the Steam sale today who may end up in that topic. Teaches me not to click on random threads on gaf, I guess.

There's a not-tagged Spec Ops: The Line spoiler in the first page of a damn "Justin Bieber may be getting arrested" thread in the OT of all places. I don't even know how big of a spoiler it is, but I'm posting about it here for anyone like me buying the game in the Steam sale today who may end up in that topic. Teaches me not to click on random threads on gaf, I guess.

FWIW, there's a lot more to that game than just how that guy made it seem.

Bread

Banned
fuck i hate when old games have stupid resolution problems

jedi academy is launching in some zoomed in mode that only shows the top left corner of the screen, and i can't seem to fix it. i tried changing the .ini files and it still won't work. anyone have any ideas?

wow the ending of XCOM is incredibly
underwhelming

Great game, not sure if I'll go back right away. Maybe some of the new 2nd Wave options and some mods.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
wow the ending of XCOM is incredibly
underwhelming

Great game, not sure if I'll go back right away. Maybe some of the new 2nd Wave options and some mods.

The ending is great if you are truly bonded with your team. I went into the mission with my bro as the lead psychic and my GF and a bunch of my buddies and that shit was fucking intense emotionally.

Caerith

That spoiler? It's like asking "is this going to be like Super Mario Bros where it turns out you're a
turtle
?" As in, it doesn't spoil a thing because it's wrong.

There are some games that are completely dependent on their twist, and there are some where even if you know the ending it's still worth playing along to see how it gets there. Knowing that
"The Line" is Spec Op's sled
didn't really detract from the game for me at all.

Just picked up xcom from GG, been waiting a while for a good price, and wasn't all that interested in the basketball combo from GMG the other week. Looking forward to jumping into that one.

Been playing through Book of unwritten tales over the last few days, been really enjoying it. Just finished chapter 4.

One3rd

You got me to look into it again and I found a different link from the Guru3d original here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSg9dSFHraw

And that worked flawlessly for me. I'm glad you incentivized taking another google at it.

Stallion, does that fps unlocker from the youtube link work with Unleashed 2 or just with 1? I've been searching the internets for a solution to this locked 30FPS abomination but can't seem to find anything that doesn't get flagged having trojans.

I went ahead and purchased Remember Me in the GMG sale. The art and music can outweigh any gameplay issues in a AA game for $37.50.

I'll reserve judgement on the story till release, of course. At this point, it'd have to be awful for me to consider it a total loss.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I went ahead and purchased Remember Me in the GMG sale. The art and music can outweigh any gameplay issues in a AA game for $37.50.

I'll reserve judgement on the story till release, of course. At this point, it'd have to be awful for me to consider it a total loss.

I'm mildly interested in Remember Me. My only larger concern is in regard to length, so hopefully some pre-release impressions offer some insight into that.

Nyx

Might and Magic : Heroes VI looks pretty good with all the expansions.
Wasn't this game hated due to DRM and not the game itself? Or is it bad as well?

I'd love me some new Heroes gameplay.

kaleii

I'm mildly interested in Remember Me. My only larger concern is in regard to length, so hopefully some pre-release impressions offer some insight into that.

I just read this preview... looks quite interesting.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/05/06/preview-remember-me-one-thousand-reasons-to-bite-your-nails/

Remarkably, almost out of nowhere, Remember Me has ended up being hugely impressive, with a perfectly balanced, adaptive combat system that makes most other third person brawlers feel archaic. Why? Because, despite a resolutely linear story the main meat of the game – the brawling – ends up being exactly what you want it to be. It’s intelligent game design, sure, and it’s never quite as open ended as it first appears it might be, but it places just enough responsibility onto the player to ensure that they feel they’re guiding the kicks and punches even if they’re not in control of the storyline.

Dynoro

Halo and Halo 2 were updated a few hours ago, too.

Edit: Looks like they both saw some action yesterday as well, after a few months of nothing.

Just bear in mind this note on their blog:

Steamdb said:
It seems this needs additional clarification, since some news sites have "picked up" on some "new" things appearing in the database.
Any history entries from around 21:00 UTC on May 4th are entries relating to our database upgrade and switch to PICS. Apps that have been inactive for months (mostly Steam Hub titles) are still as inactive as they were then.
The "Last Updated" time was updated because our (SteamDB, not Valve's) database entry for these apps changed. A new value named "changenumber" was also added, which is part of the new information system. This indicates the last time the app changed on Valve's side.

So some app updates might not be real (though the Halos appear to be proper updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom