• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might and Magic : Heroes VI looks pretty good with all the expansions.
Wasn't this game hated due to DRM and not the game itself? Or is it bad as well?

I'd love me some new Heroes gameplay.

Was hated at launch due to UBI drm and a general dumbing down of the games mechanics (including getting rid of interactive town screens). Not sure its been fixed, but according to steam forums the game still has alot of issues including recently the main campaign not being playable if you buy the gold version:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/48220/discussions/

Been playing through Book of unwritten tales over the last few days, been really enjoying it. Just finished chapter 4.

And Finished :D. Enjoyed overall, puzzles never got overly complicated, although the story dragged its feet in places mainly due to multiple branching quests e.g. you need to get 3 things, but to get one you need to get 3 other things. Jokes and self referential stuff was pretty fun and had me chuckling, but I could see it being a little hit and miss with people. Only major downside was the bad quality pixelated vidoes at the start and end of the game that kind of takes you out of the experience, and one game breaking bug where the scripting broke and made it so I was unable to free some of my characters in a puzzle (even after relaoding from autosave), which forced me to play back though an hour old save. Overall a very enjoyable games, I give it 4 rabbit-sheep out of 5.

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
Yeah, I poked around the histories to ensure the apps weren't simply flagged as updated due to the database change.
That's not how it works. That information got shown in history because that's what PICS allows us to get. Those logos, images and all the other updates from within the last day could have been there for months.

FINAL FANTASY VII's last changenumber was on 2013-05-02, which is less than a week ago. This means atleast someone at Valve / the publisher / a developer has touched the app recently and it's probably still in development.

FINAL FANTASY VIII's last changenumber was on 2013-03-19, which is quite a while ago. This app hasn't been touched in a while, I'm afraid.

Giran

Wasn't this game hated due to DRM and not the game itself? Or is it bad as well?

The game is dumbed down as well, mostly thanks to Ubisoft and not the developer if rumors are to be believed. You'd be better off looking at Eador. It's a potent mix between Heroes and Disciples.

MNC

If you are from Europe and want to play add me on Steam.

I am from Europe, I am in for multiplayer game

I already finished the game; but I might jump in sometime.

Yeah I noticed that too and was okay with it in the initial episodes but it got annoying by the time I reached the last episode because it started coming off as lazy copying of tropes by the game's writers rather than being neat references/nods to the comic. Maybe it was just because I was aggravated by the lack of impact from the choices by then.

I'm glad I played the game before I watched the series because I definitely would think less of the game had I known.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's not how it works. That information got shown in history because that's what PICS allows us to get. Those logos, images and all the other updates from within the last day could have been there for months.

FINAL FANTASY VII's last changenumber was on 2013-05-02, which is less than a week ago. This means atleast someone at Valve / the publisher / a developer has touched the app recently and it's probably still in development.

FINAL FANTASY VIII's last changenumber was on 2013-03-19, which is quite a while ago. This app hasn't been touched in a while, I'm afraid.

Huh? The timestamp on the recently-added FF8 Change Number is, as you say, from a couple of months ago:

Final Fantasy VIII said:
Changes for #195739 - 2 months ago
March 19, 2013 – 11:35:06 UTC, 1 apps total, 0 subs total

I was talking about Halo and Halo 2, though, both of which are timestamped today:

Halo: CE said:
Changes for #215420 - about 6 hours ago
May 6, 2013 – 03:28:52 UTC, 1 apps total, 0 subs total

Halo 2 said:
Changes for #215419 - about 6 hours ago
May 6, 2013 – 03:28:19 UTC, 1 apps total, 0 subs total

Saying the apps saw some action yesterday was indeed a brain fart moment, but I don't think I'm misunderstanding that they were updated today.

derExperte

Apart from the simpler gameplay there were (and maybe still are) tooooons of bugs. Some nasty ones (Nvidia) got fixed only by the latest patch after a very long wait which unfortunately broke the game last week. http://steamcommunity.com/app/48220/discussions/0/810923580564093709/ Apparently they still haven't fixed it. So there's a lot to hate about this game.

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
I was talking about Halo and Halo 2, though, both of which are timestamped today
Hmm, very interesting. Looks like they saw it, and made them not accessible by public.

That's what raw requests look like:
Code:
"appinfo"
{
	"appid"		"216780"
	"public_only"		"1"
	"change_number"		"215419"
}

Code:
"appinfo"
{
	"appid"		"216760"
	"public_only"		"1"
	"change_number"		"215420"
}

Our backend doesn't exactly handle deletions properly, so it kept Halo name, but deleted all the data.

JaseC

Hmm, very interesting. Looks like they saw it, and made them not accessible by public.

That's what raw requests look like:
Code:
"appinfo"
{
	"appid"		"216780"
	"public_only"		"1"
	"change_number"		"215419"
}

Code:
"appinfo"
{
	"appid"		"216760"
	"public_only"		"1"
	"change_number"		"215420"
}

Our backend doesn't exactly handle deletions properly, so it kept Halo name, but deleted all the data.

How suspicious. Curse you, Frankie! :p

JaseC

What sort of game is that?

An ARPG in the vein of Diablo. Unlike Diablo, though, it didn't review well, due to the lack of meaningful character customisation and questionable design decisions (e.g. there's no map... at all).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Stallion, does that fps unlocker from the youtube link work with Unleashed 2 or just with 1? I've been searching the internets for a solution to this locked 30FPS abomination but can't seem to find anything that doesn't get flagged having trojans.
TFU1 only. I just allowed the Trojan filled TFU2 stuff by MSE since it didn't make sense and my PC hasn't exploded yet.

The ending is great if you are truly bonded with your team. I went into the mission with my bro as the lead psychic and my GF and a bunch of my buddies and that shit was fucking intense emotionally.

I guess I can see that. Just found it very anticlimactic and all of a sudden, it was over. Was expecting bit more I guess.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I guess I can see that. Just found it very anticlimactic and all of a sudden, it was over. Was expecting bit more I guess.

I didn't expect much in terms of actual narrative because of the nature of the game. They have no control over the pacing since players can't do random missions till eternity so I think I fairly light plot was needed.

Chronoja

I don't think xelios includes the Indie Gala store in his list of sales, which he probably should since most of the games there are in the form of steam redeemable keys and the bundle prices are pretty good. The good thing is that they retain prices in dollars so for non american buyers they usually work out cheaper than elsewhere.

Anyways, I bring it up because there's a good few new sales up at the minute incase anyone is interested. Indie Gala Store Sales

Hey, just started figuring I should get in on the Steam group for GAF, heard it's private, so here I am asking that someone invite me.
Not sure which username I should put though, my login name, or my display name?

HoosTrax

Hey, just started figuring I should get in on the Steam group for GAF, heard it's private, so here I am asking that someone invite me.
Your username is almost never unique (unless you're like me), and your login name shouldn't really be disclosed to other people, so just post a link to your Steam profile page.

Seriously, one of my pet peeves is when people go "hey add me on Steam, my user name is ______", then you do a search on Steam for them and there's like three pages worth of hits.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up Spec Ops The Line for $7 (75% off).

Really enjoying it (and military shooters are most certainty not my bag).

It's still on sale for a few more hours.

JaseC

I don't think xelios includes the Indie Gala store in his list of sales, which he probably should since most of the games there are in the form of steam redeemable keys and the bundle prices are pretty good. The good thing is that they retain prices in dollars so for non american buyers they usually work out cheaper than elsewhere.

Anyways, I bring it up because there's a good few new sales up at the minute incase anyone is interested. Indie Gala Store Sales

Cheers. I bought Pole Position 2012, Patrician IV Gold, MUD TV and Dawn of Magic 2 (all 75% off). Here are the current Steam-friendly deals:

Still Life Bundle: $0.99 for Still Life or $3.99 for the aforementioned, Still Life 2 and Post Mortem
Helldorado Bundle: $4.99 for Grand Ages: Rome, Cargo! The Quest for Gravity and Helldorado (also includes DRM-free versions of The Rockin' Dead and Airline Tycoon Deluxe)
Classic Adventure Bundle: $3.99 for Mata Hari and Alter Ego (also includes DRM-free versions of Black Mirror 2 and 3)
History Bundle: $0.99 for Making History the Calm and the Storm or $4.99 for the aforementioned, Space Empires V, Dangerous Waters and The Ironclads Collection
Crazy Machines Bundle: $0.99 for Crazy Machines and Crazy Machines 1.5 or $4.99 for the aforementioned, Crazy Machines: Elements and Crazy Machines 2
Future Bundle: $0.99 for Future Wars and Space Trader: Merchant Marine or $5.99 for the aforementioned, Nikopol: Secret of the Immortals, Greed: Black Border and Wasteland Angel

[URL="http://store.indiegala.com/index.php/airline-tycoon-2-gold.html"]Airline Tycoon 2: Gold[/URL]: $7.49 (-75%)
Omerta: City of Gangsters: $26.99 (-33%)
Port Royale 3: $9.99 (-75%)
Pole Position 2012: $4.99 (-75%)
Patrician IV Gold: $7.49 (-75%)
Patrician III: $1.24 (-75%)
MUD TV: $2.49 (-75%)
Jagged Alliance: Back in Action: $26.99 (-33%)
Imperium Romanum Gold Edition: $2.49 (-75%)
Grand Ages: Rome Gold: $3.74 (-75%)
Disciples III: Gold Edition: $7.49 (-75%)
Dawn of Magic 2: $2.49 (-75%)
Puzzle Kingdoms: $2.99 (-80%; cheaper than Steam)

Chronoja

The history bundle discount is crazy, the ironclad collection alone is valued at $30 - 40. Getting that and more for $4.99 speaks for itself. Obviously, only if you were interested in them or steam game "collecting", of course.

So what is the go with the GAF steam group? I always see people wanting to join, but embarrassingly I'm not sure what it actually does?

Chronoja

Prediction: we are going to see a small Square Enix/Eidos sale later today. (no real evidence)

Edit: Secondary prediction - dailies or weekly sales including Trainz, Ankh, Blue Toad Murder Files, Avencast, Jack Keane.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
New deals recap.

[Amazon]
[Humble Double Fine Bundle]

• $1.00+
    • Costume Quest
    • Psychonauts
    • Stacking
  • $7.92+
    • Brutal Legend
[Indiegala Store]