• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

Isn't there usually a Spring sale too??

They might have individual Publisher sales over a week, nothing like the Summer sale though, or even thanksgiving/halloween sales.

I was really close to buying them, had them in my cart and everything, and then remembered I own them on gog.

Luckily that money didn't go down the drain.
I keep doing that with the Legacy of Kain Collection sale on GamersGate. It may only be around $3.50, but why spend that on something I already own on a service I actually prefer. I will buy the Medal of Honor: Allied Assault War Chest currently on sale on GOG instead...and Lands of Lore 3. *cough*.

How is it the Lego Star Wars games didn't get wrapped up in the May the 4th madness?

Looking for someone to split the Anomaly 2 pack with.... PM me if you're interested.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is it the Lego Star Wars games didn't get wrapped up in the May the 4th madness?

Strictly speaking, the discount applies only to the Star Wars pack and its included titles, and the Lego games are not among them.

Edit: Though having said that, Disney could have arranged for the Lego games to be the Daily today.

Strictly speaking, the discount applies only to the Star Wars pack and its included titles, and the Lego games are not among them.

Edit: Though having said that, Disney could have arranged for the Lego games to be the Daily today.

Factual. I'm sure it is lost on no one that I was merely stating my disappointment at a missed opportunity.

Is xpadder legit? Is it easy to use? Was thinking of getting some star wars games but the ones im interested in dont support the 360 controller as i can tell. The games are the jedi knight games and republic commando.

Blizzard

Banned
Fuck Lucasarts for not just porting TFU1/2 to PC themselves and doing the 60 fps stuff. The hoops you have to jump through with these games is stupid.

I had to put a cracked .exe for both, drop in a second .exe that applies the 60 fps magics, and the TFU2 60 fps exe was marked as a virus by MSE and had to be allowed through.
How do you know it's not a virus and this is what LucasArts was trying to protect you from all along. :O

Fuck Lucasarts for not just porting TFU1/2 to PC themselves and doing the 60 fps stuff. The hoops you have to jump through with these games is stupid.

I had to put a cracked .exe for both, drop in a second .exe that applies the 60 fps magics, and the TFU2 60 fps exe was marked as a virus by MSE and had to be allowed through.

Wait, so you finally got it working? I remember I tried so hard and scoured the net for compatible files... to no avail.

Would you mind please uploading said files for us to enjoy?

So which Star Wars games are worth buying? I already have KOTOR (and don't want KOTOR 2) and Empire at War.

Right now I'm looking at Battlefront 2 and one of the Jedi Knight games, but I don't know which one is 'essential.'

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Is xpadder legit? Is it easy to use? Was thinking of getting some star wars games but the ones im interested in dont support the 360 controller as i can tell. The games are the jedi knight games and republic commando.

I use it, it's legit. It's easy enough. I've definitely gotten my money out of it but someone may know of some viable free alternatives.

Caerith

So which Star Wars games are worth buying? I already have KOTOR (and don't want KOTOR 2) and Empire at War.

Right now I'm looking at Battlefront 2 and one of the Jedi Knight games, but I don't know which one is 'essential.'
I'm not sure what to tell you.

DeVeAn

If you could lead me to where the files are that would be great.

Ya know I would not even mind 30fps if I could add v-sync and not get sound issues.

Adnor

Banned

The entire Dark Forces saga is awesome, but sadly the first 2 games don't run fine in new systems. Jedi Outcast has a better single player campaign than Jedi Academy, but the latter has better multiplayer.

Bracket

Borderlands 2 is horrible game for me, I really want to like it and finish it but when I play it just throws thousand fetch quests to me with endless waves of enemies and I have been using the same boring weapons for ten hours at least with no sight of better ones. I really liked BL1 and I'm not even sure what is wrong in BL2, I even like story and characters but gameplay bores me to hell which is exact opposite from the first one.

I felt exactly the same way. Loved the first one, felt meh on the second. Don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing it. I played through each character in the original on the other hand.

BrianD

Neo Member
The entire Dark Forces saga is awesome, but sadly the first 2 games don't run fine in new systems. Jedi Outcast has a better single player campaign than Jedi Academy, but the latter has better multiplayer.
What do you mean when you say they don't run fine? I haven't tried Dark Forces II yet, but I am currently playing through the first one and it runs perfectly for me on Windows 7 (32 bits).
It is using DosBox so there shouldn't be too many (if any) issues to get it running.

Caerith

Not that I want to avoid it, but I'm not in the mood for another RPG, especially one like KOTOR 1 and the usual bioware stuff. Is the gameplay any different in that I don't have to go looking around for some maps?
Well, it uses the same engine as KOTOR 1 so you're going to have very similar combat etc. Plot-wise, you're still going from planet to planet solving problems, but instead of looking for maps to guide you to the final area, you're looking for Jedi who are tied up with each of those planet's problems.

If you're burned out on RPGs, that's fine, but if you like RPGs then I really hope you get around to playing KOTOR 2 one of these days.

JordanKZ

Anybody else pick up on this?

From the Steam Database twitter account:

Steam Database
Major database update complete. Many Steam Hub "leak" apps had more information added. Some others have had info removed. Blog post soon.

Adnor

Banned
What do you mean when you say they don't run fine? I haven't tried Dark Forces II yet, but I am currently playing through the first one and it runs perfectly for me on Windows 7 (32 bits).
It is using DosBox so there shouldn't be too many (if any) issues to get it running.

I tried playing Jedi Knight 1 and had problems and assumed that Dark Forces had too. I'm sorry.

Exuro

Is this piece of information still up-to-date? Wouldn't a simple drag-and-drop do the trick now that Steam asks on which disk the user wants to install a game?
Until everything has been moved over to Steam Pipe this should stay in the OP as games must be on it to be able to be installed on a hard drive that Steam isn't installed to.

Really convoluted sentence structure, but not every game is on the new system so they still can only be installed on your "steam" hard drive.

Caerith

Until everything has been moved over to Steam Pipe this should stay in the OP as games must be on it to be able to be installed on a hard drive that Steam isn't installed to.

Really convoluted sentence structure, but not every game is on the new system so they still can only be installed on your "steam" hard drive.
The new system only lets you choose where to install it, right? It doesn't let you move stuff that's already been installed, does it? So stuff like Steam Mover is still useful if you like to swap stuff between HDD and SSD.

Bread

Banned
Which Jedi Knight game is the best? I remember watching my brother play a 3rd person game back in the late 90s, it looked awesome.

Which Jedi Knight game is the best? I remember watching my brother play a 3rd person game back in the late 90s, it looked awesome.

Outcast.

Great little program and well worth buying.

Ledsen

I use it, it's legit. It's easy enough. I've definitely gotten my money out of it but someone may know of some viable free alternatives.

Xpadder was free up to a certain version that you can still find online, I just use that one since it has all the functionality I need.

FYC

Banned
Bleh, I kind of want to wait for a maybe even lower sale on the collection but someone brought up the possibility of it being taken down.

I will have to sit and think on this.

Edit: Fuck it. I'm in baby. So are any of the Jedi Knight games bad? The two that are considered the best seem to be JK2 and Academy, but what about Mysteries of the Sith and Dark Forces II?

Is that the mod that allows you to cut people up much more realistically?
I used it long ago but forgot it's name.
If by realistically you mean turning enemies and yourself into Hamburger Helper at the slightest swing then yes.

It was pretty much my ideal Star Wars experience until I played Revengeance.

eyeless

in metro 2033 at the second place where you can buy guns (it's like a smoky room) should i buy the silenced revolver and throwing knives

like can you find that stuff or is buying it the only way to get it, and should i do now so if i want that stuff?

also how much does the silenced revolver reduce the power if i'm playing on ranger easy? since the idea of the ranger difficulty is i die quick and so do they it'd kinda suck if i buy a silenced weapon then they don't die quick but i still do

Deadbeat

Banned
in metro 2033 at the second place where you can buy guns (it's like a smoky room) should i buy the silenced revolver and throwing knives

like can you find that stuff or is buying it the only way to get it, and should i do now so if i want that stuff?

also how much does the silenced revolver reduce the power if i'm playing on ranger easy? since the idea of the ranger difficulty is i die quick and so do they it'd kinda suck if i buy a silenced weapon then they don't die quick but i still do
Suppressors basically do little to affecting damage from what I found. Dont buy stuff this early in the game. You find everything along your way. Theres so much shit hidden that you will never run out of supplies if you look in corners. The only thing you need to buy is body armor and its first available in the armory. You will know what Im talking about when you get there.

Stealth is great if you buy the sneaking suit. But you will be forced into encounters anyway, so it's not really worth it.
Stealth doesnt work so he should just get the body armor when he can in the armory market.

Rufus

Stealth is great if you buy the sneaking suit. But you will be forced into encounters anyway, so it's not really worth it.

eyeless

alright i won't buy anything, thanks for the replies

i've heard the stealth is broken in this game but i'm a stealth junkie so i'm unable to not try to play stealthily if given the option

if it's a total shitshow though maybe by the time i get the option of buying armor i'll decide to get the body armor

Deadbeat

Banned

i've heard the stealth is broken in this game but i'm a stealth junkie so i'm unable to not try to play stealthily if given the option

if it's a total shitshow though maybe by the time i get the option of buying armor i'll decide to get the body armor
Stealth armor is useless. Using a suppressed weapon to kill enemies is fine. Just dont be surprised if you kill a bunch of enemies without them being alerted yet all their buddies are now alerted.

Heres a tidbit:

When you arrive in Dead City 1
Theres a suppressed bastard in the ticket stand to the right of you. You have to look inside the booth but you can grab it

Lingitiz

I'm playing on Ranger Easy and the stealth is making me want to quit. I just reached the beginning of chapter 4 and I keep getting destroyed so fast. Should I just be going guns blazing?

I love the atmosphere and the story is engaging, but any combat section with humans is frustrating as hell. I am enjoying the combat against the creatures though.

skype?

ventrilo?

teamspeak?

mumble?

or am I missing something?

Maybe i'm missing something. They all seem to want money for their services. With Skype you need a webcam just to make a call. Can't do video. Mumble it seems you need to pay for a server.

If i'm missing something obvious please tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom