• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

DTKT

There are so many systems that need a complete overhaul that I just have to hope that they are working on a massive update.

The client really needs a more robust download manager. Bandwidth limiting, download scheduler. Better game list management, better categories. Interface for cloud saves so that you can actually see what you have stored.

Mairu

There are so many systems that need a complete overhaul that I just have to hope that they are working on a massive update.

The client really needs a more robust download manager. Bandwidth limiting, download scheduler. Better game list management, better categories. Interface for cloud saves so that you can actually see what you have stored.

I'm sure all that takes a backseat to increased linux distribution support or something

:|

mrgone

Remember that time it took Steam 4 years to get a working friends list?

Hawkie

Any opinions on Sang-froid: Tales of Werewolves? The impressions I've seen so far are positive.

We should trick Stallion into buying it before he realizes it's a tower defense game.
Game: Sang Froid

0880a533-e0a6-4372-97bb-a929132d1d2b_zpsdf013af8.jpg

Genre: Tower Defence - defend your sister at all costs from werewolves, spirits and the devil himself.

Playtime so far : 5 hours (10-12hrs for a playthrough)

Setting: Canada, December 1858

Review: I really love this game. The setting and aesthetic (folklore, snowy forest vibe) are great as is the soundtrack. Gameplay is really strategic and requires a good deal of planning to survive each night and there's enough new elements (fear factor, ziplines, a clever taunt mechanic etc) in the game to keep you coming back a number of times to try a different approach should you fail or succeed.

Defence takes various forms such as traps (some of which are triggered automatically and some which require your activation e.g hanging net you have to shoot to fall on your enemies), holy items which can deal area damage, axes, guns, the use of bonfires/shouts, consumable items, a few clothing items and the allocation of points via a skill tree as you level up.

In addition, there's two difficulty modes so you can switch it up should you find it too hard or too easy. Should you fail you are given the option to roll back to the beginning of the preparation stage (daytime) to redo your setup or to roll back to just before the night begins (twilight) to try your original plan once again. This can save quite a bit of time or allow you to go back to the drawing board if you need to.

The only complaint I could possibly muster is that the actual fighting mechanic could be a little smoother as a few times I thought I was going to connect with a beastie and subsequently missed but in reality I think it actually adds to the charm of the game and doesn't detract in any meaningful way. Overall I really think there is enough in Sang Froid to make it one of the great indie games this year.

Rating: 4.5/5

Will Play Again?: Definitely, one of my favourite games this year across all platforms.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, it hadn't even occurred to me, it's pretty silly to have limited cloud storage space without a readily available way to actually DELETE files from said space. :p

Can't you just delete them in the game and when you exit they get removed from the Steam Cloud?

MNC

Sorry, I did my best with my limited MS Paint skills :(

There's no way to put a different colored border in the text, that's something they should add.

Oh no no, I meant that it's a horrid sight to see such DLC stuff on Doom. For a minute I almost thought it was real.

I have a slight issue that I thought perhaps someone may have some insight on.
Lately for whatever reason, whenever I open Steam the software window always starts in fullscreen mode. Always. Even hitting the small screen button it stays full screen. I have to manually resize it every time now. It used to always remember the size it was after a reboot but not anymore.
This has nothing to do with Big Picture mode and I've already looked at the settings to see if there was something there.

Thanks

Man, do not look at the Steam profiles of the people to whom you have sent gifts on steamgifts.com.

I report here the time spent playing games which were given away by me:
  • 0.6 hour (English Country Tune)
  • 0 hour (English Country Tune)
  • 0.4 hour (Anomaly: Warzone Earth)
  • 0 hour (Adventures of Shuggy)
  • 0 hour (Psychonauts)
  • 0 hour (Europa Universalis III Chronicles)
Steam is definitely about collecting games, not playing them.

To be fair, perhaps they have a backlog and haven't got to them yet. You may be correct though, but for me I know that I have a backlog and it is taking me some time to get through some of these games. I get two months off work in the summer though so I plan on cleaning it out. :D

HoosTrax

The space is segmented up on a per game basis. Most games are only allowed to access 100 mb.... of which they generally use less than 10 of.
This causes issues with certain games, like Terraria (due to sheer save file size) and SpaceChem (due to the unlimited "rewind" feature). Not that I would want to be sitting there waiting for 100MB+ maps to upload to Steam Cloud each time I'm done playing Terraria. Not on my cable connection.

Madridy

Can't you just disable the cloud syncing feature on a per game basis?

Like turning it off for the Witcher 2 only for example.

chixdiggit

$12 for 2 copies of Don't Starve is an amazing deal. I really like the game. It's kind of like a rouge like Mine Craft with less emphasis on building and more emphasis on scavenging for survival.
Plus TF2 hats.

Exuro

I'm pretty sure they've said they won't be able to implement those specific features until the entire steam system/games are on steampipe. I'm still waiting for them to update our profile pages. They're still in the old style and are pretty bland. I want top content/achievements/screenshots and such on there. The community features we've received so far are pretty good but I'd like them tied up in our profile, or allow us to show off our most liked stuff in a single page.

Also get rid of the carbon fiber look and make it look more like bpm. I'm hoping with new consoles coming out that valve are cooking up some big updates for steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I'd be happy with a "Sort games chronologically instead of alphabetically" option, just like with every boxed games library in real life.

And I mean only games inside the same franchise. Those franchises should then be ordered by name, yes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh no no, I meant that it's a horrid sight to see such DLC stuff on Doom. For a minute I almost thought it was real.
Haha, I misunderstood your post. Luckily, I think there's no plans to change good ol' Ultimate Doom and charge for the Nightmare difficulty.

Doom 4, however, is another story, and I (sadly) wouldn't be surprised to see it resorting to these awful practices.

Be warned Bethesda/id/ZeniMax: no free god mode means no buy, despite how good the game is. Ya hear me?

I don't have a lot of faith in Doom 4 being all that. Half-Life 3 is no doubt a Source 2 game at this point, and they've been making great games year after year since the last installment, I'll sure it'll be the shit.

id...I feel they haven't even been relevant since Quake 3 back in '99. And I don't have a very high opinion on Doom 3/RAGE. I think they're more interested in tech than making awesome games now...then again, ask most Doom fans what they want, and it won't be innovation ("Doom II with more graphics, 60+ fps, Carmack pls ;_;"). Surely they can still do that, right?

JaseC

Today's Daily is half off DC Universe DLC. Somebody buggered up the spotlight on the front page, though, as it links to the game's official website rather than its store page.

Haha, I misunderstood your post. Luckily, I think there's no plans to change good ol' Ultimate Doom and charge for the Nightmare difficulty.

Doom 4, however, is another story, and I (sadly) wouldn't be surprised to see it resorting to these awful practices.

Be warned Bethesda/id/ZeniMax: no free god mode means no buy, despite how good the game is. Ya hear me?

I can see it now: God Mode will be the first pre-purchase reward, Nightmare the second, and Doom 3: BFG the third.

Tomodachi

Not sure this is the right place to ask but since it's the most active on pc gaming I might as well.

I just read some stuff about HDMI-CEC and its ability to turn on or control devices connected to others with hdmi cables. My Panasonic plasma TV (ST30) is connected to my PC (vga: 560 Ti) via HDMI. All I'm interested in is turning my tv on automagically when I switch from my monitor to tv video output on my pc. Is this possible or am I dreaming? :(

That would make Big Picture Mode so much better, among other things :/

Relax.MX

I was playing last night and my PC shot down, my graphic card was burning, now in the morning I clean it and all back to normal.. Feels good :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I can see it now: God Mode will be the first pre-purchase reward, Nightmare the second, and Doom 3: BFG the third.
Dude, didn't you know that by pre-ordering now you can get a 10% discount on the Season Pass? Dude, what are you doing that you didn't pre-order yet? Dude, don't you think you're forgetting the Season Pass? Dude, if you buy the VIP Doomer™ DLC you can remove half the microtransaction prompts (the other half will stay, though: poor devs have to eat, ya know!)

Doom 4: now always online, for your DLC purchasing convenience.

Blizzard

Banned
Today's Daily is half off DC Universe DLC. Somebody buggered up the spotlight on the front page, though, as it links to the game's official website rather than its store page.

Ha, this feels like a triple first:

1. Daily deal is only 50% (has probably happened before actually)
2. Daily deal is for DLC rather than a full game
3. Daily deal links directly to a third-party website/store

Can't you just delete them in the game and when you exit they get removed from the Steam Cloud?
It -sounds- like this should work unless something is glitched with a particular save file. I'm not sure if certain games or circumstances prevent this from working correctly, however.

JaseC

Ha, this feels like a triple first:

1. Daily deal is only 50% (has probably happened before actually)
2. Daily deal is for DLC rather than a full game
3. Daily deal links directly to a third-party website/store

The first two have happened before, though I think this is just the second time that DLC has been a Daily. I distinctly remember the Dungeons & Dragons expansion pack DLC being half off last year as it was the first post-Summer Sale Daily I skipped, due to the $25 price tag.

Dude, didn't you know that by pre-ordering now you can get a 10% discount on the Season Pass? Dude, what are you doing that you didn't pre-order yet? Dude, don't you think you're forgetting the Season Pass? Dude, if you buy the VIP Doomer™ DLC you can remove half the microtransaction prompts (the other half will stay, though: poor devs have to eat, ya know!)

Doom 4: now always online, for your DLC purchasing convenience.

Don't forget the guide! :p

Sini

Is there any chance of Blur coming back to Steam? I want to play it but it is impossible to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom