• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with this argument is a little site known as The Pirate Bay, and the small fact that it has torrents to pretty much every game in the Steam catalogue for $0.00.
Yup. The day I need to play my PC games and I can no longer do it "legally" is the day I download an offline crack for the games I purchased legally.

But until that day comes, I won't worry about a "what if" scenario that is very unlikely to happen.

By supporting Steam, what if we're really helping Gabe build a massive hydrogen bomb that he'll use to threaten the world and seize power with? I can hear him now, in dulcet tones explaining the impact of the weapon to be "Hiroshima-level times 3."

And where our excitement and evangelicalism once lay, fear would take stead. We would all come to fear the HL3 bomb.
That bomb would take years and years to make, and would become a joke in the eyes of many gamers. Just like the real Half-Life 3!

The problem with this argument is a little site known as The Pirate Bay, and the small fact that it has torrents to pretty much every game in the Steam catalogue for $0.00.
Which contributes to our disscussion in what way? Pirating a game in such scenario is equally as bad as doing it now. In terms of what implies to companies actually developing the games.
They'd be probably sued out their ass by some European consumer association.
Ok, Glass then what will happen with the new consoles in places more mindful of consumer rights? And let's say the always online practice crosses over to PC ports of console games in Steam. Then what happens?
Yup. The day I need to play my PC games and I can no longer do it "legally" is the day I download an offline crack for the games I purchased legally.

But until that day comes, I won't worry about a "what if" scenario that is very unlikely to happen.

That bomb would take years and years to make, and would become a joke in the eyes of many gamers. Just like the real Half-Life 3!
So muck away the console guys then. However, you do know that Steam TOS has been revised several times in detriment of the user? So the "unlikely" is a most real possibility than you give it credit for. It all depends of what direction companies chose to stir us.

Why do we get all defensive when the issue is brough up and with reason. I like how we pass jesting comments as replies and rest merit to whatever is said by bringing up the conspiracy theory jokes. Nothing wrong with a little humour... but come on, is like an automated response by now.

But at least for now consider my side of disscussion dropped, don't want to upset anybody here in anyway. Let us move on in to happier things my firends.

Blizzard

Banned
Of course, the whole thing is kind of weird since unlike physical goods, no one purchases software anymore, at least on Steam -- you just purchase a subscription/license to use it in certain ways, which can be removed yada yada yada.

I agree it's a valid concern that Valve could change something and there wouldn't be much anyone could do about it if they didn't want to lose their accounts. But, at least so far they've been pretty decent about it.

MRORANGE

Remember that time when valve changed the TOS and everyone boycotted Steam as they thought they were going to lose their games?

Yeah.

Blizzard

Banned
Remember that time when valve changed the TOS and everyone boycotted Steam as they thought they were going to lose their games?

Yeah.
I think there was one person who tried to work around it for a long time. Everyone else agreed to the new TOS. So if anything, it proves the point about how everyone will just agree to new terms if Valve changes them, because there isn't really a viable alternative besides piracy or losing your account. :p

Which contributes to our disscussion in what way? Pirating a game in such scenario is equally as bad as doing it now. In terms of what implies to companies actually developing the games.

Ok, Glass then what will happen with the new consoles in places more mindful of consumer rights? And let's say the always online practice crosses over to PC ports of console games in Steam. Then what happens?

So muck away the console guys then. However, you do know that Steam TOS has been revised several times in detriment of the user? So the "unlikely" is a most real possibility than you give it credit for. It all depends of what direction companies chose to stir us.

Why do we get all defensive when the issue is brough up and with reason. I like how we pass jesting comments as replies and rest merit to whatever is said by bringing up the conspiracy theory jokes. Nothing wrong with a little humour... but come on, is like an automated response by now.

But at least for now consider my side of disscussion dropped, don't want to upset anybody here in anyway. Let us move on in to happier things my firends.

Not really. Mods on GAF also agree that downloading a crack for a game you have purchased if Steam were to go down is in no way the same as pirating a game you haven't purchased, today.

Wok

Man, do not look at the Steam profiles of the people to whom you have sent gifts on steamgifts.com.

I report here the time spent playing games which were given away by me:
  • 0.6 hour (English Country Tune)
  • 0 hour (English Country Tune)
  • 0.4 hour (Anomaly: Warzone Earth)
  • 0 hour (Adventures of Shuggy)
  • 0 hour (Psychonauts)
  • 0 hour (Europa Universalis III Chronicles)
Steam is definitely about collecting games, not playing them.

Of course, the whole thing is kind of weird since unlike physical goods, no one purchases software anymore, at least on Steam -- you just purchase a subscription/license to use it in certain ways, which can be removed yada yada yada.

I agree it's a valid concern that Valve could change something and there wouldn't be much anyone could do about it if they didn't want to lose their accounts. But, at least so far they've been pretty decent about it.
Fantastic, that's all i wanted. That we acknowledge there is a "Damocle's sword" hanging above our heads instead of going: "Lol conzoles peasants got screwed up by the man, s3rv3s then right. All castle in the skies and rainbows in my side of the land, go team leet! Steam 4 Ever!"
Not really. Mods on GAF also agree that downloading a crack for a game you have purchased if Steam were to go down is in no way the same as pirating a game you haven't purchased, today.
You missinterpret the context of my reply. Let the topic die for now, or at least we should move on to the disscussion where it belongs.
In my case, i take special care for that not to happen. The stuff i have that i don't play is because it came bundled with other things.
Sniper Elite games any good?
V2 is not a perfect game by any stretch of imagination but it has some cool moments. Specially with the Xray shots. Yet i think that it is still too expensive for what it is or putting it on other terms, i've played better games for a lot less money.

GAMERG0D

Man, do not look at the Steam profiles of the people to whom you have sent gifts on steamgifts.com.

• 0 hour (Psychonauts)
Those games aren't really 'AAA' so the playtime is understandable for those games.

Fantastic, that's all i wanted. That we acknowledge there is a "Damocle's sword" hanging above our heads instead of going: "Lol conzoles peasants got screwed up by the man, s3rv3s then right. All castle in the skies and rainbows in my side of the land, go team leet! Steam 4 Ever!"

You missinterpret the context of my reply. Let the topic die for now, or at least we should move on to the disscussion where it belongs.

In my case, i take special care for that not to happen. The stuff i have that i don't play is because it came bundled with other things.

I'll drop it but there is clearly a difference between what console owners would do if Microsoft closed shop on XBL and people on Steam would do. On the console side someone has to find an exploit, jailbreak it, and pass said break onto the public. Then they can download said games if say XBL was ever discontinued. This isn't the case with the open platform of the PC. It's one reason why people are more confident buying games on the PC even in a Steam type of environment. It's much easier to gain access to your paid purchases in the event that you lost access to them through a particular service such as Steam.

Wok

Those games aren't really 'AAA' so the playtime is understandable for those games.

In this case, why bother entering the giveaway? I believe some other people would have played the games, had they won. According to you, the moral of the story could be: only give away AAA games if you hope people will play it for at least an hour.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, I know. Still, nothing Valve has said or done makes me think they're heading for an always online future. And if it comes to that, I have GOG and... yuck, Origin for my DMR-free and not always online needs, respectively.

I'm not being defensive, I'm telling you exactly what I'd do in such scenario, which I consider almost completely improbable.

• 0 hour (Psychonauts)
For your own sake, I hope you had played Psychonauts before getting it on Steam. Otherwise...

I can't think of a punishment big enough for someone who refuses to play Psychonauts. But you'd deserve it in that case.

Wok

For your own sake, I hope you had played Psychonauts before getting it on Steam. Otherwise...

I can't think of a punishment big enough for someone who refuses to play Psychonauts. But you'd deserve it in that case.

I was lucky enough to play it on the PS2. I only give away games I already have, and most of the time, games which I have enjoyed.

It's free to enter, and you might like the game or you might not. Some people might not have time on their hands or they just don't play their backlog. But why does it matter how long people play games you give away?

It does not matter indeed. It just makes me wonder whether this random giveaway system is interesting. In the end, giving away the Steam code by hiding it in the email tag might be more effective. The most effective way would be to ask people who are interested in the game to send a PM and then to send the code in a First-come First-served manner.

GAMERG0D

In this case, why bother entering the giveaway? I believe some other people would have played the games, had they won. According to you, the moral of the story could be: only give away AAA games if you hope people will play it for at least an hour.
It's free to enter, and you might like the game or you might not. Some people might not have time on their hands or they just don't play their backlog. But why does it matter how long people play games you give away?

Dr Dogg

Well I think all that needs to be said is who do you trust with your money and not to pull the rug out from under your feet? Sony? Microsoft? EA? Valve? Gary gets my vote every time not to screw me (also from experience he's the only one who hasn't yet).

Xanathus

• 0 hour (Psychonauts)

I'm going to take a guess and say that that 0.6 hours of English Country Tunes is me. I can see how you can feel slighted that games you've given away haven't been played to completion by the recipients but it's pretty unrealistic to expect people to actually do it. Hell, I haven't even played more than 30 minutes on many of my games that I've bought with my own actual money without even including games that came in bundles. Mount & Blade Warband, Gothic 2 and 3, Overlord, Oddworld 1 and 2.

vermadas

I have been rocking a Chinese knock-off wireless receiver from dealextreme for over two or three years now without any problems.
The version I have requires me to manually specify the driver via device manager but that's a once per Windows install thing. It's nothing that bothers me.

As for game compatibility I can't think of any game that hasn't worked with the xbox 360 wireless controller since the first Assassin's Creed.

Thanks for the input. I'll put in an order for one.

Wok

I'm going to take a guess and say that that 0.6 hours of English Country Tunes is me. I can see how you can feel slighted that games you've given away haven't been played to completion by the recipients but it's pretty unrealistic to expect people to actually do it. Hell, I haven't even played more than 30 minutes on many of my games that I've bought with my own actual money without even including games that came in bundles. Mount & Blade Warband, Gothic 2 and 3, Overlord, Oddworld 1 and 2.

Do not take it personally. The observation is general, it is not about you. :)

I am not even upset. I am just trying to find the most effective way to give a Steam code away. Your input is interesting: one aspect is the number of games in the Steam library; if the backlog is already big, it is likely the game won't be played.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I was lucky enough to play it on the PS2. I only give away games I already have, and most of the time, games which I have enjoyed.
Oh, I just realised I misunderstood your post. Those are not your times, but those of the people who received those games from you.

Sorry then, and you've also played Psychonauts. You're a good person then xD

And now that I think about it, I have some games that GAFfers gifted me and didn't touch yet. Like Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus (I need to finish -and start- the first one before it), and GTA Vice City (I want to replay it, but I really shouldn't, given the size of my backlog). Both are games I want to jump to, but can't (or shouldn't) at the moment.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't enter any giveaways or nab free shit (like in this thread) unless it's something I really want and I can't afford to buy it for myself at the moment. Some people jump on free shit just because it's free and end up tossing it in the pile of games they'll never touch.

Mrbob

Aww yeah, one of my favorite hidden gems is getting a sequel. Sanctum 2 is coming out. Total Biscuit video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjMMQ6ozwBU

The designer dropped a sales nugget too. Said he expected the first game to sell around 20K and it has sold over 600K on Steam. I'd love to see other sales data now.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

• 0 hour (Psychonauts)

How do you look this up?

edit: ahh I see it is given away on the site.

Dr Dogg

I don't enter any giveaways or nab free shit (like in this thread) unless it's something I really want and I can't afford to buy it for myself at the moment. Some people jump on free shit just because it's free and end up tossing it in the pile of games they'll never touch.

Well I would feel bad taking up the generous offers some of you guys up up in here knowing full well I might not get round to playing what ever it is for quite some time. Plus I'm sure there are people who would rather have it, would play it straight away or might be a bit hard up. I'd rather they prosper from other GAFers generosity then it be eaten by my Steam account not to see the light of day for possibly years.

HoosTrax

Tried the ARMA III SP Alpha briefly (long enough for my GTX570 to feel its age...), but I like the first impressions I got from it. I haven't played a game that feels like this since Ghost Recon (the originals, not Advanced Warfighter or Future Soldier). Not sure what quality the SP campaign will be, hopefully modders will pick up the slack if they're a bit lacking.

Another night shift, another 8h of browsing GAF and reading Shakespeare.

Same. I tried so hard to play and enjoy Adventures of Shuggy which was gifted to me by a fellow GAFer but I had to give up after 1.5 worlds. Since then I haven't taken anything since then. Too much responsibility.

You should get some kind of portable and play some games.

GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita would be perfect.

I wanted to take my DS and finish my third (or fourth?) playthrough of the Ace Attorney series but since I work at a hospital I can't do anything that requires sound. :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Tried the ARMA III SP Alpha briefly (long enough for my GTX570 to feel its age...), but I like the first impressions I got from it. I haven't played a game that feels like this since Ghost Recon (the originals, not Advanced Warfighter or Future Soldier). Not sure what quality the SP campaign will be, hopefully modders will pick up the slack if they're a bit lacking.
Funnily enough, I hated the original Ghost Recon back then. I thought it was a terrible successor to Rainbow Six, which I loved (though I never finished it). I didn't even beat the first mission, the map was too big and boring.

Arma 3 Alpha runs like shit on my PC, it may be time to get a new one.

1-D_FTW

Yeah, Pid is a winner. I hope it doesn't start sucking halfway through.

Going through the official thread, I think there were some areas that had some fubared balancing issues at release. But they've released some significant patches to address that. And the added easy mode (if you don't care about possibly borking achievements) was also added (and switchable on the fly) to address a couple rough spots.

I think this is my next game I'm starting. Loved the demo.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Pid is pretty great so far, even if I do feel like I'm cheating playing on easy.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just beat Zeno Clash (thanks again, exmachina64), pretty weird-cool game with interesting ideas. Good length too for the style. Will grab the sequel when it's on the cheap.

Yeah, Pid is a winner. I hope it doesn't start sucking halfway through.

I'm an hour or so in and all I remember about the game is how it was supposed to be hard, but I haven't run into one spot that has made me think that. Maybe they patched some stuff.

It's fun so far I guess, nothing mind blowing really.

I'm an hour or so in and all I remember about the game is how it was supposed to be hard, but I haven't run into one spot that has made me think that. Maybe they patched some stuff.

It's fun so far I guess, nothing mind blowing really.

They made it much easier and less annoying with a patch awhile back.

Megasoum

Banned
Wait....did they remove G4WL on the steam version of Bioshock 1? It's the first time I boot that version (I bought it on a sale over the holidays to get rid of my retail disc).

On a side note, I don't have sound in game. I remember having a ton of issues with sound effects in Bioshock 2, hopefully I can fix the bug in 1.

Megasoum

Banned
It didn't have GFWL at release either.

Well my retail copy that I remember I bought the day before release and it has the big G4W banner on the box. I remember, the local store broke the street date and it was the first game I saw with the crazy DRM that wouldn't let you install the game before release.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the second episode of Duke3D on Let's rock (Medium difficulty). It's funny: as much of a fan of that game that I am, I never beat it properly (all 4 episodes) without using god mode, and most of the time I played on Piece of cake (Easy). It's nice being able to die, for a change.

And not being immortal made me realise that I had always overlooked any weapon that wasn't the RPG (and sometimes the shotgun). Now I HAVE to use them all if I want to survive, as an explosion at point blank is a big no. I discovered that the Shrinker is a really powerful weapon, able to take down Mini Battlelords with a single shot, if aimed properly. Pipe bombs, if used well, are very useful too. The chaingun cannon works extremely well against Octabrains, and even the laser tripmines helped a bit in the latter levels of Lunar Apocalypse. The Freezethrower (which I still consider the worst weapon of them all, after the pistol) can be used as a disposable gun against Sentry Drones, therefore saving other weapons' ammo.

My next step would be to stop abusing of the new quicksave function. I definitely need to chill out on that. And maybe start using the Holoduke.

Wait....did they remove G4WL on the steam version of Bioshock 1? It's the first time I boot that version (I bought it on a sale over the holidays to get rid of my retail disc).

On a side note, I don't have sound in game. I remember having a ton of issues with sound effects in Bioshock 2, hopefully I can fix the bug in 1.
Try installing the newer audio drivers of your sound card, and enabling Stereo Mix from Windows' sound properties.

Sini

Well my retail copy that I remember I bought the day before release and it has the big G4W banner on the box. I remember, the local store broke the street date and it was the first game I saw with the crazy DRM that wouldn't let you install the game before release.
It was Games for Windows®
bioshock_box.jpg

I am not even upset. I am just trying to find the most effective way to give a Steam code away.

By far the best is to make people pm you for the code rather than giving it away at random, If they are willing to do that little amount of effort there's a good chance they will play it. That's my opinion at least.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Games for Windows isn't Games for Windows Live. The former just states the obvious Windows compatibility, it has nothing to do with the software service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom