• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Do I have to buy Don't Starve via Steam store to get the TF2 items, or are they given if you just unlock the game before release date?

Zia

Do I have to buy Don't Starve via Steam store to get the TF2 items, or are they given if you just unlock the game before release date?

They're given to you regardless of where you've purchased as long as you register your Steam code. Think I got a press code or something.

Nabs

The December Pid patch must have done a lot to balance it. There were tough parts, but nothing as bad as reviewers made it seem. I was expecting some "They Bleed Pixels" saw blade bullshit, but it never happened. It took me around 7.5 hrs to complete (in game counter) on normal, and other than some stuff at the end, I enjoyed myself.

Beat and Delete lives on.

Is there a guide for deleting unnecessary Steam files that eat up HDD space?

Like the bazillion C++ runtime files that come with every installation.

Buft

Neo Member
When you say it didn't work though, were you fully offline or just not able to connect to steam?

If it happens again, disable your network connection completely when starting it and see if that helps. I think there is a big difference between being "offline" and just not "having trouble getting to steam".

specifically offline mode doesn't work, the few times i've lost my internet connection this year ive been unable to play any games

Am I alone in not being able to justify buying a 6-12 month old game unless it's like $7.50 or less now?

Many of those racing games I'd like but I no longer will spend the $10+ I use to on games being on sale. It has to hit that > $7.50 for me.

1-D_FTW

Not sure this is the right place to ask but since it's the most active on pc gaming I might as well.

I just read some stuff about HDMI-CEC and its ability to turn on or control devices connected to others with hdmi cables. My Panasonic plasma TV (ST30) is connected to my PC (vga: 560 Ti) via HDMI. All I'm interested in is turning my tv on automagically when I switch from my monitor to tv video output on my pc. Is this possible or am I dreaming? :(

That would make Big Picture Mode so much better, among other things :/

I don't know what's possible, but HDMI-CEC on Panasonic is called Vierra link. So if it's possible, that's how it'd be done.

Holy crap, I just bought a 47" Smart TV. Now I just need a long HDMI cable (like 10 meters) and I'm ready to try Steam in my living room.

Edit: I just realized I'm going to need a wireless controller :/

Salsa

I might actually buy Jurassic Park

I need to see that

edit: oh apparently it's not available in my country?

Gvaz

Banned
I saw Dont Starve being sold for $12 for two steam codes at their PAX East booth, but it wasn't enough for me to want to spend anything on it.

HoosTrax

Any impressions on Don't Starve? Looks interesting.
It's one of those games where it's easy to lose track of time and end up playing it for hours. Obviously, it's still in beta, but there's a ton of content already and it's a very polished beta (no technical issues).

I bought it a while back, decided to finally try it to see how progress on the game was going, and ended up putting 40 hours into it in short order.

dreamfall

Is the deal on Back to the Future on Gamefly for a Steam key? Does anyone know? I know TWD and Jurassic Park are both, but wondering about this!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Holy crap, I just bought a 47" Smart TV. Now I just need a long HDMI cable (like 10 meters) and I'm ready to try Steam in my living room.

Edit: I just realized I'm going to need a wireless controller :/
Congrats on the acquisition. Same size of the one I got some time ago. I have my desktop close to it, but it's totally worth the effort. Good luck with the setup!

lmpaler

I swear to the Gods Chivalry is the single greatest MP only game I have played in recent memory. I CANNOT get enough of it!

I swear to the Gods Chivalry is the single greatest MP only game I have played in recent memory. I CANNOT get enough of it!

It was, if you played it before the 2 latest big patches it was far more fun. I had 235 hours or so and then found the patch made it unplayable. They slowed horizontal movement after swinging among other things. Some may like slower more deliberate gameplay now but personally it just feels laggy to me. Only saying this because it really let me down, I lovvvvvveedd the game :).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It was, if you played it before the 2 latest big patches it was far more fun. I had 235 hours or so and then found the patch made it unplayable. They slowed horizontal movement after swinging among other things. Some may like slower more deliberate gameplay now but personally it just feels laggy to me. Only saying this because it really let me down, I lovvvvvveedd the game :).
I think most people just play Chivalry to goof around. It probably starts to fall apart at really high level play. Especially dueling.

I think most people just play Chivalry to goof around. It probably starts to fall apart at really high level play. Especially dueling.

Survivability took a huge dive from where it was, which was pretty low already. I used to be able to survive fights with 4-5 people against me at once kiting around the battlefield through skill. Dueling is still pretty fair, although horizontal swinging is even more effective due to people not being able to swing around their backs to block as fast.

Anyways yes, it just felt like they added a fresh layer of molasses to the combat and I'm not a fan.

Still a good game though...
For the emotes.

I liked Chivalry until they added the alternate swing binds in the January patch. Now I can't map them comfortably in my setup so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Mmm... I tried the game on a free weekend promo, and didn't like what little I played.

Doesn't hold a candle to Jedi Outcast. Now that's a game that made sword fighting fun.

Sajjaja

Mmm... I tried the game on a free weekend promo, and didn't like what little I played.

Doesn't hold a candle to Jedi Outcast. Now that's a game that made sword fighting fun.

iUhi27k1RhVe2.gif

I miss the Jedi Knight games so much.......

Grrrr... I hate having to link accounts with one service to another.

I'm having trouble with my Rockstar Social Club linking to my Steam account to play Max Payne 3.

I sign into Social Club within MP3, then it states that I must link accounts, so I click OK but am just given an error. "There was an error linking your social club account to Steam."

I can't seem to get past this.

HELP!

EDIT: Quit the game, restarted, now no issues with them syncing.

If you install Jedi outcast you will still find a pretty decent amount of players, I still play it and have no issues finding some people to fight.

The entire point of Chivalry is first person medieval combat, for me at least, so I wouldn't compare them.

Jedi outcast still has the crown for my favorite mp ever though.

Sober

I liked Chivalry until they added the alternate swing binds in the January patch. Now I can't map them comfortably in my setup so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There is a button you can hold as a modifier when you use a swing/overhead to use the alt version, so you can free up some keybinds that way by only needing one key and the ones you use already.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
iUhi27k1RhVe2.gif

I miss the Jedi Knight games so much.......
I hope I remember to get them next time they go on sale. Is Republic Commando on Steam? A friend told me that one' good too, I never played it.

If you install Jedi outcast you will still find a pretty decent amount of players, I still play it and have no issues finding some people to fight.

The entire point of Chivalry is first person medieval combat, for me at least, so I wouldn't compare them.

Jedi outcast still has the crown for my favorite mp ever though.
JK2's multiplayer is still alive? Now I have no excuses not to get the Steam version.

HoosTrax

I hope I remember to get them next time they go on sale. Is Republic Commando on Steam? A friend told me that one' good too, I never played it.
Yep, Republic Commando is on Steam. I enjoyed it a lot back in the day, and it's still one of the more memorable FPSs for me, if only because squad FPSs are a bit rare (can only think of GRAW and Binary Domain right now), and the soundtrack is really excellent. You have your standard Star Wars remixes, but also some originals like the Mandalorian chant, and it's all used well and in appropriately fitting situations.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, Republic Commando is on Steam. I enjoyed it a lot back in the day, and it's still one of the more memorable FPSs for me, if only because squad FPSs are a bit rare (can only think of GRAW and Binary Domain right now), and the soundtrack is really excellent. You have your standard Star Wars remixes, but also some originals like the Mandalorian chant, and it's all used well and in appropriately fitting situations.
"Squad FPS" sounds like Swat 3 or Rainbow Six. If so, that's awesome. I may pick it up along with the Dark Forces saga then.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just an fyi, the orders aren't very complex, so it's more like Binary Domain than a Tom Clancy FPS.
Tell me it doesn't have the same awful cheesy dialogue, please. And stupid, pointless walking scenes that totally kill the pace and defecate over its body.

I'm with you. I bought it for $12.50 during the Winter Sale and have spent about 30 minutes getting my ass kicked before setting it aside.

HoosTrax

Tell me it doesn't have the same awful cheesy dialogue, please. And stupid, pointless walking scenes that totally kill the pace and defecate over its body.
Haha, no, it has neither of those thankfully. Yeah, those were a couple of my main complaints about Binary Domain as well. I also found some of the voice acting of inconsistent quality. Faye didn't sound even remotely Chinese, and Shindo (who curiously had brown hair that didn't appear to be dyed, despite supposedly being Japanese) was just plain awful. And the repetitive "you're amazing, you impressed me" voice clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom