• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
Try installing the newer audio drivers of your sound card, and enabling Stereo Mix from Windows' sound properties.

Setting it in Vista compat mode and enabling Stereo Mix did the trick.

It was Games for Windows®
bioshock_box.jpg

Games for Windows isn't Games for Windows Live. The former just states the obvious Windows compatibility, it has nothing to do with the software service.

Ahhhh right, forgot there was a G4W before G4WL.

GAMERG0D

Games that are "AAA" are the only ones worth playing? What is the definition of AAA anyways? Big budget? Well reviewed?
I wasn't saying they aren't worth playing. The people that played those games probably don't enjoy the game enough to play it for extended periods of time. When I say 'AAA' I mean games like Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Battlefield, Metro, etc.

Salsa

well that was fun

ieKx1ijtsccEf.PNG

iCDw2r50CZ0U3.PNG

bummer that the game doesnt really offer any more of a challenge, it was really easy

guess i'll replay the levels in lower difficulties while listening to a podcast or something to get all the cheevos

i'd be down for harder DLC. At least Bit.Trip.Runner 1 harder

MNC

So I just bought Super Hexagon. Because I remember the thread was filled with posts about it.

Why did I buy Super Hexagon?

Edit: It says I already own the Beta Stress Test? Is that not something everyone owns?

eyeless

can anyone tell me if you can change the difficulty at any time in pid

like so i could start on normal with the ability to change to easy later if it turns out too soul crushingly hard like its reputation

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I just bought Super Hexagon. Because I remember the thread was filled with posts about it.

Why did I buy Super Hexagon?

Edit: It says I already own the Beta Stress Test? Is that not something everyone owns?

Because it is a fun game?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I always play on normal since that's where devs usually put their efforts into. On easy you run the risk of not experiencing some gameplay features in a proper way (enemies will die too quickly, etc), and on hard you find unbalanced shit like enemy sponges.

All games should let you change the difficulty on the fly anyway. That way you can just select normal and change to easy if something gets too bullshit-y and you see yourself stuck in the same part for too long without having a modicum of entertainment. Having fun > a "challenge".

I always play on normal since that's where devs usually put their efforts into. On easy you run the risk of not experiencing some gameplay features in a proper way (enemies will die too quickly, etc), and on hard you find unbalanced shit like enemy sponges.

All games should let you change the difficulty on the fly anyway. That way you can just select normal and change to easy if something gets too bullshit-y and you see yourself stuck in the same part for too long without having a modicum of entertainment. Having fun > a "challenge".

I hate this. I'd play way more games on hard if they were properly balanced and not just enemy spam and hit sponges. It might be just a problem inherent with modern shooter design but I feel that some advanced AI would go a long way in improving Hard modes. In DMC4 I can go from Devil Hunter to Son of Sparda and the enemies and the enemies are more aggressive and move differently _in addition_ to hitting harder and having more HP. In shooters the difficulty setting is bascially the devs asking you how red you want your screen to be.

I hate this. I'd play way more games on hard if they were properly balanced and not just enemy spam and hit sponges. It might be just a problem inherent with modern shooter design but I feel that some advanced AI would go a long way in improving Hard modes. In DMC4 I can go from Devil Hunter to Son of Sparda and the enemies and the enemies are more aggressive and move differently _in addition_ to hitting harder and having more HP. In shooters the difficulty setting is bascially the devs asking you how red you want your screen to be.

Might be a controversial post, but for all its AAAishness I always thought Uncharted 2 was actually significantly better on higher difficulty levels. Having to use cover and plan your movements made for a much better game.

In general though? I just play on normal. If the game has no real challenge and is boring because of it...I just stop playing. Even most "good" games like Deus Ex or Sleeping Dogs just make you do the same challenge you have already proven you can beat over and over again. With this design, upping the difficulty doesn't make a difference at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There's hard, and there's bullshit. Bullshit difficulty should be illegal.

HoosTrax

And just now, I wish there was a cliff notes version of Binary Domain. The dialog tree mechanic isn't put to good use at all, the gameplay just consists of fighting waves of bullet sponge enemies over and over with the occasional action sequence thrown in, and the squadmates are all pretty inept.

FloatOn

And just now, I wish there was a cliff notes version of Binary Domain. The dialog tree mechanic isn't put to good use at all, the gameplay just consists of fighting waves of bullet sponge enemies over and over with the occasional action sequence thrown in, and the squadmates are all pretty inept.

The dialog tree was just for laughs. At least it was for me.

The enemies are not so much bullet sponges if you target them creatively. Dismembering robots was too much fun in that game.

As cheesy as the story is at times, in the end it is actually quite effective in what it sets out to do and is totally worth playing through.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think there was one person who tried to work around it for a long time. Everyone else agreed to the new TOS. So if anything, it proves the point about how everyone will just agree to new terms if Valve changes them, because there isn't really a viable alternative besides piracy or losing your account. :p

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but disagreeing with the SSA should automatically result in your account becoming restricted until such a time that you decide to accept it, as this would afford those who decide to leave Steam behind continued access to their existing library.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, nice, apparently those who took part in the Company of Heroes 2 alpha have been granted access to the beta. Not so nice is that I can't download the game for another ~24 hours.

How do I manage the files stored in my STeam Cloud? It says I only have 1 MB left, and the past 2 days I've been playing The Witcher 2 it keeps crashing on me, and various things lead me to believe the crashes may be related to my Steam Cloud space being maxed out.

DTKT

How do I manage the files stored in my STeam Cloud? It says I only have 1 MB left, and the past 2 days I've been playing The Witcher 2 it keeps crashing on me, and various things lead me to believe the crashes may be related to my Steam Cloud space being maxed out.

Witcher 2 files are ridiculously big. My current save folder is 400mb big.

Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\*\20920\remote and check if it's really big. Steam might be attempting to upload everything, figuring out it's too big and just crashing because it's a really well coded application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom