• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's CEG stand for? I assume it's the Steam executable lock launching system.

Custom Executable Generation, and you're right on the money -- it's what tethers a game to the client.

And yes that's what I'm saying, if someone notices maybe they'll patch in a Steam requirement! I think it's sort of unlikely though since it sounds like people involved may not even have the source code. =P

Yeah, I understand that, I was just making the point that a DRM-free game (both GOG and GamersGate) showing up Steam as DRM-free is unlikely to be an error. ;)

1-D_FTW

Shame there aren't any free tables for Pinball FX2, can't see myself throwing 9€ at it.

Is that what the issue is? I can play a table, but it goes at 5000 miles an hour. And then after I lose all three balls within 2.5 seconds, I'm taken to the buy screen with "Play Time Expired."

:lol What? Crazy. What kind of jank ass F2P is this? How are you going to seduce me if I can't even try anything. More like FTLATM (Free To Look at the Menus).

EDIT: So are the physics regarded as good? Because the 3D is like a fucking boss in this game. So I hope the gameplay can match the graphics.

I bought the original Pinball FX on XBLA then Zen Pinball on PS3 (for the ps3 only tables at the time) now its out on steam too? Ugh I wish you could just buy the tables log on to a Zen Studios account and have access to your tables across all platforms. :( For now I think I will stick with the PS3 version for buying tables since they are cross buy with Vita.

Oh yeah don't forget Zen Pinball is out on iOS as well. I wish it worked like Hero Academy. I bought all the teams on steam and it unlocked them for my iPad as well.

nexen

Is that what the issue is? I can play a table, but it goes at 5000 miles an hour. And then after I lose all three balls within 2.5 seconds, I'm taken to the buy screen with "Play Time Expired."

:lol What? Crazy. What kind of jank ass F2P is this? How are you going to seduce me if I can't even try anything. More like FTLATM (Free To Look at the Menus).

This sounds like a bug. All the the other versions I've played let you demo a table up to a certain score and then stop.

EDIT: So are the physics regarded as good? Because the 3D is like a fucking boss in this game. So I hope the gameplay can match the graphics.

No. While the physical simulation (on other platforms) works correctly and doesn't explode or anything, it is simulating someone's arcade interpretation of what pinball plays like. Also the tables (with a few exceptions) have poor gameplay design when compared to classic tables and they are far too forgiving.

edit: I do like the Plants vs. Zombies table and Epic Quest was amusing, though it was easy to see how it could be made a lot better. The ocean themed one was entertaining as well.

You should send an angry letter to the Pinball Arcade devs.

Nah, I've seen what the community does whenever there is a hiccup. Those people have enough venom spewed at them.

1-D_FTW

This sounds like a bug. All the the other versions I've played let you demo a table up to a certain score and then stop.

No. While the physical simulation (on other platforms) works correctly and doesn't explode or anything, it is simulating someone's arcade interpretation of what pinball plays like. Also the tables (with a few exceptions) have poor gameplay design when compared to classic tables and they are far too forgiving.

edit: I do like the Plants vs. Zombies table and Epic Quest was amusing, though it was easy to see how it could be made a lot better. The ocean themed one was entertaining as well.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like a good game for the Summer sales. Hopefully they'll address whatever is going on with demo mode though. Some people can't launch, I'm playing at warp speed for couple seconds; not exactly how you want to exploit your launch period.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't tell Valve or they might patch in SecuRom.
And StarForce too. Some gamers feel entitled to have a working DVD drive, fuck them. Publishers gotta buy their 6th Porsche, you know.

Is $20 a good price for Max Payne 3? Has it been lower or is it likely to go lower soon? Been hitching to play it since they announced GTA5's on-foot controls are lifted from it and everyone got excited.
It has been like 8 bucks here in Latin America, so if you can wait, it'll definitely be lower. I still think it's worth $20, but if you're not desperate to play it RIGHT NOW, then it won't hurt you to wait for a sale.

cicero

Dude you have to login to GOG once to download SS2 and then you can do whatever you like with the files. With Steam you have to login in once to download SS2 and then you can do whatever you want with the files.
Well, I have been unable to access Steam during various period but have been able to install whatever I wanted from my backup archive of my GOG library at anytime. I control it entirely. I have also been able to remember my PW and download and install from my account to a computer that wasn't my own when I have been out of town at my relatives during the holidays. Or used the installers on cd/dvd across multiple computers to easily install the games I desired. I get what you are saying, and I agree, to a point. But my own personal experience has shown me that my control/acccess is far greater using GOG.

Remember that time when GOG just shut itself down for a week as a joke for the rebranding? I consider that a pretty firm yanking of the leash.
I absolutely do remember that, I was very close to quitting using GOG for good because of it, because it was the exact gut-wrenching experience that GOG was supposed to have protected against. I haven't felt a yank of the leash since then though, and I continue to see high quality releases from them of older games that Steam wouldn't even bother with had GOG not done the work first. Even if that work is comprised solely of seeking out the rights holders and moving them forward into seeing the value of releasing on GOG and eventually other services as well.

GOG absolutely did zero work making this game compatible with modern systems, it's all community fixes. The same goes for quite a few other fan favorites on their platform, including Fallout 1/2, Baldur's Gate and Thief 1/2.
So where was the interest from Valve/Steam then? Someone has to do the work to actually get them rereleased and for sale at decent prices. GOG made this their focus, I have not seen anywhere near the same interest or focus from Steam. One does have to wonder why Steam has taken so long to get the games from the already long available on GOG and GamersGate Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection if the work has already been done by the community.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So where was the interest from Valve/Steam then? Someone has to do the work to actually get them rereleased and for sale at decent prices. GOG made this their focus, I have not seen anywhere near the same interest or focus from Steam. One does have to wonder why Steam has taken so long to get the games from the already long available on GOG and GamersGate Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection if the work has already been done by the community.

Doesn't GOG also just uses DosBox a buncha?

At least that's how my copy of Lands of Lore works. I really didn't need them to do that, I could've used my original CD copy of Lands of Lore and download DosBOX for free - I just didn't bother to do so, because I was under the impression that they put work into making the game playable.

Bundling DosBox with your release and coding a loader that just runs DosBox is not what I would classify as "work"

nexen

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds like a good game for the Summer sales. Hopefully they'll address whatever is going on with demo mode though. Some people can't launch, I'm playing at warp speed for couple seconds; not exactly how you want to exploit your launch period.

Yeah, I expect that they will in short order. Those guys are usually on the ball (heh) with the tech, much more so than the devs of PA. The only problem I have with them is that they are delivering a product that I do not like, no matter how polished it is. I'll probably get it during a sale because I am a consumer whore.

At least that's how my copy of Lands of Lore works. I really didn't need them to do that, I could've used my original CD copy of Lands of Lore and download DosBOX for free - I just didn't bother to do so.

Sure, if you owned LOL already. The problem is that all of those games were in rights limbo until GOG came along and starting working deals. The copyright holders weren't selling and we couldn't buy.
The shutdown prank was a stupid thing to do, yeah, but they are doing such a great service to those of us who love older games that I'm willing to overlook their brain-dead PR.

edit: we're hating on GOG now? WTF? GOG is one of my solid proofs of good in the universe.

JaseC

Generally speaking, games which have been on GOG for at least 6 months are free to go elsewhere (this exclusivity period is shorter in some cases); those not on Steam are so because the publisher doesn't see the need for them to be. I do agree, though, that perhaps Valve should be more aggressive in pursuing older titles.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

In the case of System Shock 2, what did GOG do exactly? A third party was responsible for negotiating the difficult rights issues. And the same third party repackaged the community's hard work as its own and gave it to GOG.

nexen

In the case of System Shock 2, what did GOG do exactly? A third party was responsible for negotiating the difficult rights issues. And the same third party repackaged the community's hard work as its own and gave it to GOG.

GOG created the market for old PC games and proved it profitable.
Likely we'd not have seen a re-release of System Shock 2 at all, ever, were it not for GOG.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
GOG created the market for old PC games and proved it profitable.
Likely we'd not have seen a re-release of System Shock 2 at all, ever, were it not for GOG.

Well, Al Gore created the internet...

nexen

Well, Al Gore created the internet...

I'm not taking anything away from Al Gore. He's the mack daddy.

But without GOG blazing the trail and showing these publishers that their back catalog of PC games had enough nostalgic power to turn a solid profit, we'd be stuck with abandonware as the primary chronicler of our misspent youths.
Similar to the lamentable state of the C64 library today. *removes hat*

hlhbk

Is there a possibility that Black Ops 2 drops below $40 for either the summer or winter sales? Trying to decide if I should pick it up?

JaseC

Is there a possibility that Black Ops to drops below $40 for either the summer or winter sales? Trying to decide if I should pick it up?

I wouldn't rule out half off on Amazon as the summer sale competition heats up. Acti, I assume, will just nudge the Steam discount up to 40%.

cicero

At least that's how my copy of Lands of Lore works. I really didn't need them to do that, I could've used my original CD copy of Lands of Lore and download DosBOX for free - I just didn't bother to do so, because I was under the impression that they put work into making the game playable.

Bundling DosBox with your release and coding a loader that just runs DosBox is not what I would classify as "work"
I agree, up to a point. But they have made it easy to use by working directly with DosBox, their releases tend to work well, they are compatible with the newer OSes, and they are actually available for purchase at relatively cheap prices, and then they are DRM-Free. There IS work involved. Creating and sustaining a viable digital distribution service with a major focus on older hard to find titles that GOG has had is work in itself. Before GOG I was left up to my own devices to try to get older titles working on my own. If I could actually find them used for prices that weren't ridiculous.

Megasoum

Banned
So guys, how's DLC Quest? I mean... I know it's only 3$ so it's not exactly a big risk but is it fun outside of the initial gimmick of buying dlc? Is the platforming all right?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is there a possibility that Black Ops 2 drops below $40 for either the summer or winter sales? Trying to decide if I should pick it up?

it's possible in theory, but Activision has a habit of being really slow to drop prices on the Call of Duty games

Modern Warfare 3 is still $40

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I agree, up to a point. But they have made it easy to use by working directly with DosBox, their releases tend to work well, they are compatible with the newer OSes, and they are actually available for purchase at relatively cheap prices, and then they are DRM-Free. There IS work involved. Creating and sustaining a viable digital distribution service with a major focus on older hard to find titles that GOG has had is work in itself. Before GOG I was left up to my own devices to try to get older titles working on my own. If I could actually find them used for prices that weren't ridiculous.

I believe the first bolded part to be the only actual service GOG provides, at laest to me. Providing these games for purchase today is amazing. Everything else is already done by the community and GOG just easily aggregates all that work in a single place - which has it's value, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's that much of a value (again, speaking about me personally).

I'm with the people that say that GOG provides the "hey company, let's bundle your game with some community-created improvements and put it up for sale. You'll be surprised at how much it actually sells!" part of the deal. I just think that advertise the fact that they "make sure the versions we sell are compatible with today's hardware", when they don't actually do any of that. They just bundle whatever the fans came up with (and I'm sure they contact everybody that needs contacting for that to happen. Still...).

It just passes of the impression that "THEY" work hard to make it work.

About the second bolded part.. yeah, sure... :D

Overdoziz

Banned
Anyone having issues with loading times in Black Ops 2? Whenever it's 'awaiting textures' the game starts stuttering and I miss the first 30 seconds of a match every time.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
GOG won't be truly awesome to me until they land Wizardry 8.

So guys, how's DLC Quest? I mean... I know it's only 3$ so it's not exactly a big risk but is it fun outside of the initial gimmick of buying dlc? Is the platforming all right?

Dunno but it's only $1.20 at GMG.

nexen

I believe the first bolded part to be the only actual service GOG provides, at laest to me. Providing these games for purchase today is amazing. Everything else is already done by the community and GOG just easily aggregates all that work in a single place - which has it's value, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it's that much of a value (again, speaking about me personally).

I'm with the people that say that GOG provides the "hey company, let's bundle your game with some community-created improvements and put it up for sale. You'll be surprised at how much it actually sells!" part of the deal. I just think that advertise the fact that they "make sure the versions we sell are compatible with today's hardware", when they don't actually do any of that. They just bundle whatever the fans came up with (and I'm sure they contact everybody that needs contacting for that to happen. Still...).

But no one else was doing it. Without them all of these games would be slowly eroding away from the world. The disks and CDs would be lost, broken. The only remaining copies would be sketchy abandonware. Cracked poorly and sometimes actually broken and incompleteable. Possibly incomplete.
I feel strongly about this - GOG is doing the gaming community a huge service just by existing.
Long after they shut down their service for real we're still going to be up to our eyeballs in ultra-compatible GOG-packed game installers. They've gone and preserved my childhood and I couldn't be happier about it.

edit: also I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to do what they do. Not just making a dosbox based installer but actively running their service, negotiating contracts, dealing with all the random assorted BS that comes with running a company, remaining profitable etc etc. I'm sure they also took a substantial monetary risk when starting the project. It certainly wasn't clear that a profitable business could be made of old PC games.

cicero

Generally speaking, games which have been on GOG for at least 6 months are free to go elsewhere (this exclusivity period is shorter in some cases); those not on Steam are so because the publisher doesn't see the need for them to be. I do agree, though, that perhaps Valve should be more aggressive in pursuing older titles.

Does Valve even have designated people who do nothing but go through Greenlight or other game submissions, or who directly pursue titles to sell like GOG does? It seem like many decisions require an active interest or knowledge by people within Valve who then push things through. And maybe there is a lack of interest to expand the company to fit this role, because once you are as big as Valve it may not even be deemed necessary? I have never understood their methodology or thinking regarding these things.

morningbus

Al Gore did create the internet. Snopes is a right-wing conspiracy to discredit him. Thought everyone knew this.
You joke, but I will always remember that time Snopes really went after Michael Moore for some George Bush comments that turned out to be completely true.

FloatOn

Didn't pinball FX have a street fighter table? I want that.

Also, I want to show my support of pinball games but only want to buy one pack. which is best?

Star Wars would be a no brainer were it not for the clone wars table.

cicero

Here is a nice article down the main page a little on DosBox itself HERE with "Pawel (GOG.com technical department), Lukasz (public relations) and Guillaume (manager)" about some of the work involved in GOG releases.

How hard is it to convince publishers to sell their games on GOG.com?

Guillaume: Well, it is all about keeping on building up your credibility in the end. Back in 2007 - one year before the official launch of GOG - it was really tough to convince rights owners to go the DRM-free way.

There were concerns about piracy mostly, which was quite paradoxical when one bears in mind that those old PC classics had unfortunately already been pirated heavily. Put a DRM on a title that was initially released without any and all you will achieve is triggering the users’ wrath i.e. encouraging them to... pirate those games even more! Therefore, we took the time to meet some key players of the industry and explain them that the best way to revive back-catalogue content was 1. to make the whole experience hassle-free for the end user (no DRM, full Windows compatibility, 2 SRPs for the whole planet, unlimited re-downloads) and 2. put much heart and efforts into the products themselves, by preparing exclusive free goodies (wallpapers, soundtracks, manuals and many other!) for our users, as well as doing some interviews with some legendary folks from the golden PC era.
Basically, cultivating ease of use, passion and nostalgia is the most appropriate method to give a well-deserved second youth to PC classics. We eventually managed to convince Interplay to take part in the GOG adventure... and then many others followed (40+ publishers and developers gave us their children... I mean... their beloved games so far :)

Every new key partner announced on GOG is basically one more step towards convincing the few remaining skeptical ones. The massive licensing deal we signed recently with Atari-Hasbro for some major D&D RPG games (Baldur’s Gate anyone? :) allowed us to go back to some key publishers with some heavy arguments on the plate and we are working hard to sign some major titles in 2011. Rights owners need to be shown that our model is working fine, not causing any harm and most important, that it can help them monetize some products that got forgotten in their attics while millions of people have been expecting their comeback for ages. Being only 2 years old, I think GOG quite achieved that so far.
Just because they haven't coded their own software for emulating the DOS environment under Windows, or because they use long tested and proved community solutions and work for their releases, doesn't mean that there isn't hard work involved in their releases. nexen is right, they have gone about the hard work involved with proving their business model and core concept correct to the rights holders, thereby helping preserve and promote older games for everyone.

GOG won't be truly awesome to me until they land Wizardry 8.
I have really been waiting for the Wizardry titles too. I wonder at the potential extra issue of having Japanese rights holders might add to the complexity of seeing the Wizardry series released DRM-Free.

Chronoja

Does Valve even have designated people who do nothing but go through Greenlight or other game submissions, or who directly pursue titles to sell like GOG does? It seem like many decisions require an active interest or knowledge by people within Valve who then push things through. And maybe there is a lack of interest to expand the company to fit this role, because once you are as big as Valve it may not even be deemed necessary? I have never understood their methodology or thinking regarding these things.

The whole point of greenlight was to remove Valve from the equation of determining what makes it onto the steam storefront, they called themselves a bottleneck to the process. I don't think they have a team dedicated to pursuing anything like GOG does, though I might be wrong.

From any of their press statements all they've wanted to do is say "guys...steam is a good place to sell through, the choice is up to you" and they leave it at that. You can evidence this from the way they handled things like E.A. pulling their games down and the response was similar to "we have to prove to everyone that the services provided are beneficial etc etc". To that end, they keep the place tidy and make sure anything that's up generally works and pull down anything that controversially doesn't.

But you can also see things like how Anno 1404 still has a page but cannot be purchased because Ubisoft won't patch a broken game, or the myriad of other games that get pulled down due to licensing stuff. Valve doesn't seem to chase the parties involved to get them back up, it just lets them drift into obscurity again if those involved can't be bothered to do anything about it. Which is a tad annoying truthfully.

I agree with those who said what GOG does is great for the industry but that's the difference. For GOG to be successful they've had to be aggressive in their approach to carve out the niche and get the rights to sell these old games. Valve just wants to prove to people passively that Steam as a service benefits them as much as it benefits themselves. They are somewhat aggressive in their focus on improving Steam platform features but want to be passive / indirect in what games are hosted on it.

cicero

But you can also see things like how Anno 1404 still has a page but cannot be purchased because Ubisoft won't patch a broken game, or the myriad of other games that get pulled down due to licensing stuff. Valve doesn't seem to chase the parties involved to get them back up, it just lets them drift into obscurity again if those involved can't be bothered to do anything about it. Which is a tad annoying truthfully.
It IS annoying. As for Anno 1404, I waited on that for quite some time but finally gave up last year and bought a DRM-Free version through Amazon for $5 (at least I think it was this price).

I agree with those who said what GOG does is great for the industry but that's the difference. For GOG to be successful they've had to be aggressive in their approach to carve out the niche and get the rights to sell these old games. Valve just wants to prove to people passively that Steam as a service benefits them as much as it benefits themselves. They are somewhat aggressive in their focus on improving Steam platform features but want to be passive / indirect in what games are hosted on it.
I just wish Steam was as aggressive. I don't see a downside for them by being more aggressive, other than having to expand their company and take on a role they might not feel comfortable taking on.

morningbus

The Steam Thread Adjusted Actual Playtime (STAAP) for DLC Quest is closer to 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds.

Tomodachi

I finished Gemini Rue more than a year ago and just now beat Resonance. I still don't know if I like wadjet eye's games (I dropped Blackwell after 30 minutes into the first episode). One thing is for sure: I hope their next game won't have voice acting. Geez, why dub characters if you can't afford professional dubbers?

Well, another sure thing is that Resonance has really amazing puzzles but the writing is sometimes too shallow for an adventure game. Oh well, beat and delete strikes again. On to something else.

Caerith

I just wish Steam was as aggressive. I don't see a downside for them by being more aggressive, other than having to expand their company and take on a role they might not feel comfortable taking on.
Seconded. For all that Valve is lauded for being "the company without bosses," I do wish they'd hire some people with the sole responsibility of managing the Steam catalog. They're not only not as aggressive as GOG at pursuing titles, but they're also not able to adequately manage the titles they don't have to pursue (viz via Greenlight).

Also, would it kill them to rework their contract with publishers? Little things, like "We'll take 30% of the cut normally, but if you include bullshit DRM on top of Steamworks then it'll be 35%," and "Listen, Ubi, until you fix Anno 1404, we're going to be taking 40% of all future titles."

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
header.jpg

http://steamdb.info/app/202352/#section_history

What could this be?

To chime in on the Pinball Arcade vs. Pinball FX argument I enjoy both. Pinball Arcade is as lifelike a simulation of real world tables as you are likely to find and for that reason does a great job of letting gamers experience tables that are hard to find in today's world. Pinball FX is more of a fantastical take on pinball as a game and bends the rules where it feels it's more exciting to do so.

As a result you have pinball purists crying about Pinball FX being a travesty; admittedly it's not fantastic physics but it's damn fun. Think of Pinball Arcade as Arma and Pinball FX as Call of Duty. If you want to experience some of the best table designs manufactured in a world bound by physics than pick up PA, if you are okay with table layouts being physically impossible to reproduce but providing a fantastical take on the game Pinball FX is no slouch.

That said, I was disappointed to find that Pinball FX doesn't seem to support a "landscape" view. I'm pretty sure I'm using the complete opposite terminology but what I mean to say is, like a lot of shmups, I was hoping I could set the view so I could tilt my monitor on it's side so it's taller than it is wider (thus more akin to a pinball table). Does anyone know if Pinball Arcade will have a similar feature?

Edit: I was wrong, it's "portrait" mode that I'm looking to have as an option.

Chronoja

Seconded. For all that Valve is lauded for being "the company without bosses," I do wish they'd hire some people with the sole responsibility of managing the Steam catalog. They're not only not as aggressive as GOG at pursuing titles, but they're also not able to adequately manage the titles they don't have to pursue (viz via Greenlight).

Also, would it kill them to rework their contract with publishers? Little things, like "We'll take 30% of the cut normally, but if you include bullshit DRM on top of Steamworks then it'll be 35%," and "Listen, Ubi, until you fix Anno 1404, we're going to be taking 40% of all future titles."

The problem with that is you just give 3rd parties the excuse to break away, like the policy changes that E.A. used to justify pulling their games to reinforce Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom