• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kassu

Banned
Anyone who bought Burnout Paradise able to play it? I bought it on Thursday and it still wont launch saying it needs a cd key does it usually take this long?
I just played it and didn't have any problems. It didn't even say anything about CD key to me.

Blizzard

Banned
Good stuff, I've been playing today for the first time in ages and the mods really make it look great.

For your psi powers? F1 to F5 will cycle through the powers in each tier. You can also hotkey a power by putting your mouse over it and pressing like shift+f1.

Unfortunately it is one of those games you need to spend some time on remapping controls and keys and such, but it is well worth the effort.
Thank you! I saw F1 mentioned somewhere but didn't make the connection and didn't realize the hotkey option existed either. That should make things less painful.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Recap of current Steam deals. Nothing has changed except stuff going off sale. Tony never fixed the price of the bundles in the Amazon sale either; I'd recommend avoiding it and waiting for the bundles that will be coming at the end of the month. Also, this thread moved a LOT since yesterday. Practice for the summer seal?

Big Fish Games has a Mother's Day sale on their website but they never have a sale on Steam. :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading through it and it seems much less a case of him losing it because of the game, than GAFers being insensitive, unsupportive and trollish. I guess it's the old "if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you", I'm so fucking sick of this lack of empathy. That's even though the guy already said he does have ADHD, not exactly something he can choose.

Though obviously not to that extent, I also wish there was a way to make games invisible on Steam. Several of the visualization options just throw all your games at you, no matter what folders you've created. In my case it's not a case of any single game being disgusting or anything, but the fact that I have so many stuff from bundles, etc. that I have no intention to play in my life, and waste screen state. When one's approaching 400 games on their accounts, THAT becomes a problem.

Edit: Perfect example, see above. Is it that hard to, if you have nothing helpful to say, simply don't say anything at all?

Edit2: That didn't end well, but again, I'm guessing having people relate to any extent or at least respect him rather than being trolled into saying what game it was (which, I'll admit, I'm dead curious about too), had no small part in pushing him over the edge. I hope the ban is temporary, at least.
If you come back after several days of no one talking about it, and threathen to post a rant against the game and its devs, all the while refusing to say which game it is, I'd say you have not only lost it, but you're also an attention whore of the worst kind.

But sure, blame it on everyone else but the one who did it. That's smart.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Look, the guy had some problems that I hope he was working with a professional on. Everyone has challenges and while we may work through them differently, it is something that most of us can genuinely empathize with.

However, there's too much of a "unique ballerina" mentality going on with an attempt to paint him as a victim. Whatever issue he has did not require it to be grossly put on display in this thread. There was even a point where he was gone for a day and discussion about him stopped completely. Then he returned, freaked out, and got banned.

There's a point where your behavior is caused by a problem you have and a point where you use your problem to excuse your behavior. One is easy to empathize with, the other is allowing the town drunk to have free reign over the town like some Andy Griffith Show character.

FloatOn

played a bit more Rayman Origins this afternoon after not touching it for awhile. I kind of want to say it cold blooded murders 2d mario but then I remember my childhood and get conflicted.

I'm going to squeeze in some more levels every now and again. Great way to decompress from more serious gaming/life.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Whoa, there's really a staggering amount of hidden optional content in Last Remnant. Since I was actively looking for quests I imagined there would be just a few I missed but it's a huge amount, including entire subplots, towns and locations. It was definitely the better idea to backtrack and go after what I missed like suggested. The LR wikia has a great side quest availability list with everything linked, which is helping a lot with the many obscure triggers.

I also wasn't aware that the
Aqueducts dungeon
is a point of no return for a truckload of quests, so getting stuck at the boss there helped me avoid that frustration.

Rufus

played a bit more Rayman Origins this afternoon after not touching it for awhile. I kind of want to say it cold blooded murders 2d mario but then I remember my childhood and get conflicted.
You need to get over your ex man, obsessing over the past is going to poison every new relationship.

I'm going to squeeze in some more levels every now and again. Great way to decompress from more serious gaming/life.

It really depends on what you want from a platformer. NSMBWii (and apparently U as well) is an amazingly tight platformer with some of the greatest level design in any 2D platformer. Rayman Origin is a bit more "loose" in this regard and gives Rayman a more varied skillset (without having to rely on powerups). I like both approaches to platforming design.

When it comes to aesthetics and sound though, Rayman stomps modern 2D Mario so hard it makes my inner child weep.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I have actually heard from some people that they wanted to cold blooded murder some Rayman devs after pushing through to the end of the game.

morningbus

I've only played the Rayman demo, but it is very much the style of platforming I hate: the school popularized by European developers during the Playstation 1 era with looser, sometimes downright floaty physics.

FloatOn

It really depends on what you want from a platformer. NSMBWii (and apparently U as well) is an amazingly tight platformer with some of the greatest level design in any 2D platformer. Rayman Origin is a bit more "loose" in this regard and gives Rayman a more varied skillset (without having to rely on powerups). I like both approaches to platforming design.

When it comes to aesthetics and sound though, Rayman stomps modern 2D Mario so hard it makes my inner child weep.

I can agree with all of this. Especially that last bit. I just finished up the "Gourmand Land". When I got to the lava level, I've never seen animated fire look so good and the Mexican cantina style music just made me smile so much. Incredibly charming.

I've only played the Rayman demo, but it is very much the style of platforming I hate: the school popularized by European developers during the Playstation 1 era with looser, sometimes downright floaty physics.

I don't think Rayman is that floaty tbh. It is looser when it comes to attacks and running but I never had an issue with jumping. It's no Mario but not LittleBigPlanet either.

I can agree with all of this. Especially that last bit. I just finished up the "Gourmand Land". When I got to the lava level, just wow, I've never seen animated fire look so good and the Mexican cantina style music just made me smile so much. Just incredibly charming.

Yeah, Ancel's team is probably one of the most talented around. It's downright criminal that it took Ubi to recognize this.

morningbus

I don't think Rayman is that floaty tbh. It is looser when it comes to attacks and running but I never had an issue with jumping. It's no Mario but not LittleBigPlanet either.

I'm not saying Rayman is floaty, just that it comes from that school of platformer design where tightness isn't the primary concern.

cicero

There's a point where your behavior is caused by a problem you have and a point where you use your problem to excuse your behavior. One is easy to empathize with, the other is allowing the town drunk to have free reign over the town like some Andy Griffith Show character.
1M6ah5O.jpg

So I guess that the cow represents this thread that Otis/HolyBaikal was riding before being dragged off?

RetroMG

Hey gang, I've been scouring the site looking for a program that I know was posted in one of the Steam threads. (I think it was in one of the threads about Big Picture Mode) It was a program that would automatically switch your audio output upon a change in video output. (So when you switched your display to your TV, the output would automatically change to the TV's HDMI.)

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I reformatted my computer and lost the program.

I'm not saying Rayman is floaty, just that it comes from that school of platformer design where tightness isn't the primary concern.

Alright, I misunderstood you. It's true, you won't be able to pull off anything like the stuff seen in 2D Mario but it's a great game in its own regard that doesn't suffer from the added looseness.

I don't know, every time i hear people how some 2D platformer dethroned Mario, i just see some of the runs for NSMB Wii U, it is amazing. Here's a random one, there are lots better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsavJDGLBes

Poor Luigi :(

Alright, I misunderstood you. It's true, you won't be able to pull off anything like the stuff seen in 2D Mario but it's a great game in its own regard that doesn't suffer from the added looseness.
Poor Luigi :(
Ha, ha, it was like f*uck it! We are not doing this again...

I like the ones that are just for sh!ts and giggles. Last one for now promise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7s_ZVLGdD0&list=SP09w_clXh0S7GxFSqeu7yUqOH8IQU56BN&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeqTlfhZpQ&list=SP09w_clXh0S7GxFSqeu7yUqOH8IQU56BN

Theres bunch of stuff that i didn't know one could manipulated using the touch screen.

Megasoum

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7s_ZVLGdD0&list=SP09w_clXh0S7GxFSqeu7yUqOH8IQU56BN&index=3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZeqTlfhZpQ&list=SP09w_clXh0S7GxFSqeu7yUqOH8IQU56BN

Theres bunch of stuff that i didn't know one could manipulated using the touch screen.

All I can think of is that video lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWbtBk1xe7c

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I hate those horrible "pa's" in the music. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea? It already sounded awful in NSMBW, and it apparently still sounds awful in NSMBU.

Caerith

Though obviously not to that extent, I also wish there was a way to make games invisible on Steam. Several of the visualization options just throw all your games at you, no matter what folders you've created. In my case it's not a case of any single game being disgusting or anything, but the fact that I have so many stuff from bundles, etc. that I have no intention to play in my life, and waste screen state. When one's approaching 400 games on their accounts, THAT becomes a problem.
Not trying to keep the "unique ballerina" discussion going, but +1 to this. I have my groups set up in standard list mode and am pretty content with the way it's organized, but that organization not carrying over is why I pretty much never use BPM or any of the visualization options.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I don't. I want my higher res assests. Maybe a patch will come at the release.

Metro 2033 was 7.5GB in size and had some pretty high resolution assets. Besides, we don't know how much more there is after the preload. I wouldn't imagine it being double in size, but there could still be a decent chunk missing.

NIN90

I hate those horrible "pa's" in the music. Who the fuck thought it was a good idea? It already sounded awful in NSMBW, and it apparently still sounds awful in NSMBU.

Something I just noticed is that the powerup items hop around in sync to the PAH PAHs. Oh lord.

ShaneB

Hey gang, I've been scouring the site looking for a program that I know was posted in one of the Steam threads. (I think it was in one of the threads about Big Picture Mode) It was a program that would automatically switch your audio output upon a change in video output. (So when you switched your display to your TV, the output would automatically change to the TV's HDMI.)

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I reformatted my computer and lost the program.

Doesn't it do this automatically? It does for me :( Or at least just remembers what I have set to before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom