• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kassu

Banned
I don't have anything like that there.
From Steam Trading Card FAQ:

How do I add a showcase to my profile?
Once you reach Steam Level 10 you can pick and customize a showcase from the profile edit page. Each 10 Steam Levels earns you an extra showcase, i.e. two showcases at Level 20, three showcases at Level 30, etc.

Salsa

I think even your profile's friend list order is also determined by level?

ibfvyIUHTUB6E8.PNG

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The limit doesn't reset guys, don't sell your cards if you're interested in collecting them

From the FAQ:

How can I get trading cards?
Each participating game drops up to half the set of cards into your Steam inventory during gameplay. The other half of the card set can be collected from other community members. Try the beta group discussions, community market, barter with friends, and trade discussions.

HoosTrax

I foresee people buying up copies of those games if they end up in bundles to farm cards. Hopefully the Humble Bundle will be wise to this and not make Don't Starve a PWYW game, and make it a BTA game instead.

What the fuck, people are paying .70$ for Beta Access?

I sold my two invites for .05$ total, they were bought as soon as I put them up. I blew my load early :(

Salsa

I really dont understand their reasoning behind this crap

why tie it to idle playing and not to achievements

I dont care for Xbox's achievement number, but if you're gonna do something like this tie it to that. Make them actual accomplishments.

Joe Molotov

I dont care for Xbox's achievement number, but if you're gonna do something like this tie it to that. Make them actual accomplishments.

Because then people just whine "Waahhhh, this is achievement is too hard!" or "I did the achievement, but it didn't pop!" Just get to idling and get them cards, Salsa! No excuses.

HoosTrax

I think you and I are in the same boat as far as having joined Steam somewhat later, after a lot of the seasonal sale badges were given out.

Even then, I still probably have more total playhours on my Steam account than the vast majority of people on my FL, but I'm only Level 7, and lower level than the people who only log onto Steam during the summer/winter sale promos.

Salsa

Because then people just whine "Waahhhh, this is achievement is too hard!" or "I did the achievement, but it didn't pop!" Just get to idling and get them cards, Salsa! No excuses.

but isnt that the point tho? make it hard to get?

by what they're doing now people are basically gaining a weird sort of bragging rights over luck or idling time

I think you and I are in the same boat as far as having joined Steam somewhat later, after a lot of the seasonal sale badges were given out.

I have 7 badges, many for old seasonal sales, it's not that, I didnt came in late I just dont care for them or that method

Even then, I still probably have more total playhours on my Steam account than the vast majority of people on my FL, but I'm only Level 7, and lower level than the people who only log onto Steam during the summer/winter sale promos.

yeah pretty much. I got every achievement on FEZ and worked on getting every cube without looking at a guide and figuring out the game myself. Now I didnt do it for any sort of "hey here have a badge!" thing, but if you're gonna give me one give me one for that and not fucking.. doing stuff with Portal 2 idling in the background

Caerith

I'm not in yet, but having everything tied to playtime going forward instead of achievements earned is terrible. I really don't want to be compelled to go back and idle in games I'm done with.

Salsa

Steam here's an idea: instead of letting me showcase a fucking useless badge, let me showcase one achievement of my choosing that was very hard to get.

That's idea #12834 on the number of ways they can make this sort of stuff a lot better if you think about it for 1 minute

Mairu

Steam here's an idea: instead of letting me showcase a fucking useless badge, let me showcase one achievement of my choosing that was very hard to get.

That's idea #12834 on the number of ways they can make this sort of stuff a lot better if you think about it for 1 minute

It's kinda weird that you can't use the achievement showcase to select specific achievements to show like you can with some of the other showcases.

but isnt that the point tho? make it hard to get?

Nope. The point is to get as many people engaged in it as you can so you can sell them things for their backgrounds and other useless nonsense later on. You know, like hats.

If you made it hard you'd lose a whoooooole bunch of potential customers... errrr people.

tjohn86

I'm not in yet, but having everything tied to playtime going forward instead of achievements earned is terrible. I really don't want to be compelled to go back and idle in games I'm done with.

Steam achievements have no security around them. You can use a program to pop any achievement you want.

At least you can't fake play time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly I think the playtime versus achievements distinction is kind of only relevant while the service is in beta and all the participating games are games we've already played to death. On a go-forward basis, regular, non-idling gameplay of new games that support the feature should drop all the cards you want, right? So really the root of the complaint is more that the feature doesn't retroactively award cards.

Salsa

Nope. The point is to get as many people engaged in it as you can so you can sell them things for their backgrounds and other useless nonsense later on. You know, like hats.

If you made it hard you'd lose a whoooooole bunch of potential customers... errrr people.

I dont know about that. I very much doubt that people who dont give a crap about games are suddenly urged to buy new ones just to showcase stuff on their profile

this is only attractive for an already established player base

Honestly I think the playtime versus achievements distinction is kind of only relevant while the service is in beta and all the participating games are games we've already played to death. On a go-forward basis, regular, non-idling gameplay of new games that support the feature should drop all the cards you want, right? So really the root of the complaint is more that the feature doesn't retroactively award cards.

I think that's part of it

Steam achievements have no security around them. You can use a program to pop any achievement you want.

At least you can't fake play time.

idling?

"fake" achievements are easily noticeable through seeing how much gameplay time that person has or when did they achieve them (hint: at all once = fake), at least.

KingKong

It's kinda weird that you can't use the achievement showcase to select specific achievements to show like you can with some of the other showcases.

I dont think its fully funcrional yet, for me clicking the +number takes me to the RAGE achievements only

Here's another one, instead of making me have a ton of categories to keep my giant library organized allow me to rename games in my list so I can have sequels grouped together. So many games randomly spread out over my list. It constantly makes me feel like I've lost a game. I also own too many games to have a legitimate hope of correctly categorizing them all.

KingKong

I guess I could have been more clear. To my knowledge there is no way to trick steam into thinking you have a game open. You will at least need to have the game open for however long it takes to get cards.

Wasnt there a TF2 idle program that did this? Like you opened a console window and it connected to a server and recorded drops without launching the game

Salsa

I guess I could have been more clear. To my knowledge there is no way to trick steam into thinking you have a game open. You will at least need to have the game open for however long it takes to get cards.

yes, but having the game open while doing something else is, in theory, fake "gameplay time"

if the idea is to get people to actually PLAY the games: this doesnt really encourage it

achievements do. At least more so, since faking them is a little bit more complicated and people are concerned about bannings and that sort of thing

KarmaCow

Wasnt there a TF2 idle program that did this? Like you opened a console window and it connected to a server and recorded drops without launching the game

Well it was still the game running, it just takes advantage of TF2's (Source's?) textmode option so that it's not such a drain on your computer's resources to have the game running all the time.

edit: oh yea there was a third party idle program, maybe that was different.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dota 2 and TF2 are free, just play them.

Btw, got my second card from TF2. This time it is a Scout.

I mean, you can only get half the cards from drops. So you have to either:

1) Buy the others
2) Trade cards for other cards (thus precluding you from completing all or most sets)
3) Trade unrelated items e.g. TF2 hats

You can trade. 500 Dota 2 invites for 1 card for example.

Doesn't really seem like a great solution to me. Much of the appeal of trading cards is collection so I'm not sure why they'd hamstring it.

I think he was referring to the fact that you can't complete a set by yourself without trading or purchasing half the cards

Ah, I assume that is correct.
Also I now got another SPY, if anybody wants to trade it with another TF2 card, find me on steam.

Caerith

Well it was still the game running, it just takes advantage of TF2's (Source's?) textmode option so that it's not such a drain on your computer's resources to have the game running all the time.

edit: oh yea there was a third party idle program, maybe that was different.
Textmode works. It's how I got my linux whatever in TF2.

As for the third party idle program, was it this?

Ih5Nxi9.jpg

Chronoja

Dota 2 and TF2 are free, just play them.

Btw, got my second card from TF2. This time it is a Scout.

You can only get generally half of what you need by yourself through playing. You need to trade with friends / buy the rest to complete the set using the steam market place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom