• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just played through Home in one sitting. I feel like I missed on a lot of shit even though I was trying to be thorough in my exploration (by my standards anyway).

I didn't understand shit on what happened. :/

Home's meant to be played in one sitting, it's fairly short and at launch didn't have a save system (I think it does have some sort of checkpoints now).

Home is a very troubled game story wise, I can see what they were attempting to do but it was really just not that great of a game or a storytelling device. I've played through the game 6-8 times and forced myself to do different stuff each time and the choices/endings weren't really drastically different. I was also incredibly shocked to find out that ENDINGSPOILERS
the game literally asks you if you found the body of your wife or not before he even digs in to the trashbags

I can't suggest it to anyone, and I hate to keep ragging on it but it is in no way a "good" game.

Ionic

I finally started playing Binary Domain this weekend after getting it during a sale months ago. I beat it in two sittings. Thought it was an excellent experience. I wish more games had enemies as fun to shoot as this one. I also thought the story wasn't terrible. I wouldn't mind a sequel built for nextgen hardware, because that could be really impressive, but I suppose I shouldn't expect one to happen any time soon.

iavi

I finally started playing Binary Domain this weekend after getting it during a sale months ago. I beat it in two sittings. Thought it was an excellent experience. I wish more games had enemies as fun to shoot as this one. I also thought the story wasn't terrible. I wouldn't mind a sequel built for nextgen hardware, because that could be really impressive, but I suppose I shouldn't expect one to happen any time soon.

Don't expect it ever. :(

wazoo

D6n.jpg

I keep installed anything I may be remotely interested in ever playing. Of course I'll never do it, but I like to have the possibility.

You have barely no games, so you can have them all installed, that is easy.

Salsa

got those empires

in those ages

in hi def

II

I bought age of empires 2

now I have an achievement for pre-ordering

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, what proportion of your Steam games do you have installed at any one point in time?

I delete games when I lack the space to install something, save for the ones I actually intend to (re)play at some point. I decided to simply work my way from Z to # and, with 328 of 1323 games installed, am currently just a few games away from R:

steamtiqzb.jpg

I delete games when I lack the space to install something

I see what you did there ;)

I used to make sure I had everything possible installed and ready to go. Then I ran out of space and converted to having only what I'm playing plus half a dozen or so keep around games like SF4.

kaleii

That's really an impressive amount of storage you have there, JaseC.

(I've only had my Steam account since September last year. Got 65 games, 45 are installed, 8 have been played. I also have around 30 games in Steam codes in a text file... dunno when I'll activate them).

JaseC

I see what you did there ;)

Haha, actually, I don't spread my games across different drives. I did consider it and shuffled a bunch of stuff around recently, which is why the other drives aren't labelled, but ultimately realised they'd be full in the not-too-distant future, anyway, and not due to Steam. Having an unmetered internet connection is both a blessing and a curse. :p

Edit: Replacing the 2TB Steam drive with a 3TB one is something I've been meaning to do, though. That and replace the 60GB SSD with one of the 120/128GB flavour; I could then use the old SSD to store the games I'm currently playing.

Ledsen

3rd time I see that site, 3rd time I notice no more than an almost imperceptible smoothness when it comes to 60 fps compared to 30. Which I obviously can't recognize when looking at the game without both images simultaneously on screen to compare.

That's like, so weird!

Salsa

CladunX2 needs a fucking sale man

D455FC84F03DA1C195816DD2D3B0E7D835F779AF

I wanna play as finn

it never goes on fucking sale. I really liked the first one on PSP

FYC

Banned
Oh my god. WHAT IS THIS?

I believe it's Cladun X2

Edit: oh salsa said it at the top of his post, i am dumb

On an unrelated note, Serious Sam The Random Encounter is pretty fun, albeit very short. Only took me 90 minutes to finish but I liked it. Onto Serious Sam Double D, thanks to indie bundles.

JaseC

CladunX2 needs a fucking sale man

D455FC84F03DA1C195816DD2D3B0E7D835F779AF

I wanna play as finn

it never goes on fucking sale. I really liked the first one on PSP

It was 40% off during the Autumn and Winter Sales. I think NIS is following in the footsteps of Old Capcom; its other game, Clan of Champions, hasn't been discounted since the opening week of its release.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, what proportion of your Steam games do you have installed at any one point in time?

I sued to keep 99% of all my games installed, everything except a few sports games and MMOs. But since my game Hard Drive is running low on space, I stopped installing all the random indie games I pick up in bundles. So I'm sitting at 559/634, taking up 1.12 TB. I also have 20GB on my SDD taken up by Dota and other Source Engine files.

steaminstalled.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I try and keep everything installed, unless it's a yearly title that I'd never go back and play.

JordanKZ

14TB? Holy shit, I have 4TB in my file server and I thought that was a lot of space... How loud is your machine?!

I tend to only install the games I'm playing or favourite. Otherwise, I just have them all uninstalled. Previously, I had almost 700 games installed, but it slowed my Steam hard disk down to a crawl.

You people are insane
7JTwFTE.png

Even out of these I'm plaing maybe 3-4, so it feels like a waste to have them all installed.

But what if? WHAT IF

Did the PC version of Cladun 2 add anything over the PSP version? If not I'll just buy the psp/vita version when the 10 dollar credit comes in, been meaning to download it.

Edit: As to the question currently at hand
I tend to have the desire to suddenly play any game at any time so I keep more installed than not. Have enough space that it doesn't really matter. Sorry for the lack of cropping, feeling too lazy to do so :p
277 owned/142 installed. Do have Arma III installed on my SSD though.

Also: What is that steam layout you have installed JaseC? Looks really nice.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You have barely no games, so you can have them all installed, that is easy.
That's something I need to work on, yeah.

Also, I love how 200+ games is now considered "barely no games", lol. Steam sales, what have you done to us?!?!?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I delete games when I lack the space to install something, save for the ones I actually intend to (re)play at some point. I decided to simply work my way from Z to # and, with 328 of 1323 games installed, am currently just a few games away from R:

steamtiqzb.jpg
Oh yes, I heard HDDs in Australia were free. You're so lucky!

JaseC

His wallpaper is also a mosaic of Saoirse avatars, and by wallpaper I mean the actual wallpaper in his room. He chooses his next avatar by throwing darts at the wall and picking the one he hits. Not regular darts of course, but one of these:

This is scarily accurate. :p

14TB? Holy shit, I have 4TB in my file server and I thought that was a lot of space... How loud is your machine?!

I don't notice the noise until the CPU and GPUs are under stress, though it helps that the room my PC is in is quite large. On a related note, I'd like to explore water cooling when I upgrade again, in conjunction with an E-ATX case (there's nothing more annoying when fiddling with a PC than having little room to work with), which is something I hope I can put off until Intel gets its thumb out of its arse and offers "mainstream" (i.e. reasonably-priced) hex/octo-core CPUs.

Oh yes, I heard HDDs in Australia were free. You're so lucky!

I wish! I've probably spent more on storage space over the past 18 months or so than the rest of the components combined (thanks, Mother Nature).

You guys are nuts :p. I have 10 games installed on Steam and out of those about 6 haven't been launched in weeks/months.

Keeping fewer games installed helps in working through your backlog. It is known.

JaseC

You guys are nuts :p. I have 10 games installed on Steam and out of those about 6 haven't been launched in weeks/months.

Keeping fewer games installed helps in working through your backlog. It is known.

I prefer to keep as much as I can installed since my ISP has a tendency to under-provision bandwidth. Case in point: I'm currently getting ~200KBps with a five-threaded download in sabnzbd. :(

1-D_FTW

tends to cause input lag as well afaik

If you're playing games windowed, then you need to disable Windows Aero if you don't want to add lag that way.

This info was revealed in the Oculus Rift/Valve presentation at GDC. Running in windows mode causes at least 1 frame of lag. Only way to stop all the Windows calls that cause this is to disable Aero.

Deques

After reinstalling Win7 I currently have 9 out of 436 games installed and I want to keep it around 15 at most.

When I bought a new computer a few months ago I told myself to only install games I am currently playing. Today I have around 90 of 400 games installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom