• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there supposed to be an in-game notification when you earn a card? I played 40 minutes of CS:GO earlier and was a little miffed that I apparently didn't earn anything, however I just noticed that the IDF card is sitting in my inventory.

catabarez

Is there supposed to be an in-game notification when you earn a card? I played 40 minutes of CS:GO earlier and was a little miffed that I apparently didn't earn anything, however I just noticed that the IDF card is sitting in my inventory.

I only noticed one when I was idle and browsing. It might also show up in game.

derExperte

No. It is Risen 1's mentally handicapped little brother.

edit: Someone talk me out of Aliens Coloniel Marines for $12. I know its bad but I love me some Aliens. Think it will be lower in the Summer sale?

Will be cheaper soon, I'm sure. And especially if you love Aliens the game will piss you off to no end. It's not only bad, it spits in the face of fans.

Decado

Turn-Based.

It's decent, but I don't think it's aged very well. The new games seem a little overpriced too.

You are oh so wrong. I just started playing it again a few weeks ago (after over a decade) and it is still my favourite game of all time and the mods available are great.

Steer clear of the new ones.

EDIT: Kicking myself (gently) for picking up the regular edition of ME3 for 8.50 a few weeks ago.

cicero

Thanks for all of the work involved in creating that great list of Steam activating titles in the ongoing Amazon sale, xelios. Great job.

Caerith

Doesn't look like it, at least not yet
Huh. They're not very consistent in their message. You get cards by idling "because achievements are too hard" and they wanted everyone to be able to get cards. But if you can only get half the cards you need, then not everyone can get badges. If they had wanted to encourage trading, then all drops should have been doubles (like, if you get Scout, Pyro, Heavy, Medic, then you get 2 of each so you can trade the second away while keeping the first) or given us ways to earn more over time. Instead, this just encourages sell and buy, while less than half of the community will ever acquire badges as a result.

Mairu

Huh. They're not very consistent in their message. You get cards by idling "because achievements are too hard" and they wanted everyone to be able to get cards. But if you can only get half the cards you need, then not everyone can get badges. If they had wanted to encourage trading, then all drops should have been doubles (like, if you get Scout, Pyro, Heavy, Medic, then you get 2 of each so you can trade the second away while keeping the first) or given us ways to earn more over time. Instead, this just encourages sell and buy, while less than half of the community will ever acquire badges as a result.

Well, it's still in beta and just started yesterday. They could be looking at market prices and over time will experiment with routine drop resets or other factors before going to 'release'

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

That's not quite true. Don't look at it as "My aim is to complete all badges for all games". What it encourages you is to pick and choose the games you want to obtain badges in. For example, a user could trade their Don't Starve cards for Portal cards in order to get the Portal badge and give someone else the Don't Starve badge. Imagine when they support 200 games and you have 1000 trading cards to trade--you'll be able to complete some badges easily.

As of right now relatively few games are supported, but think long-term of the opportunity to "show that you're a fan" to specific games. Also imagine that summer and winter promotions give out extra trading cards.

It's pretty easy to see how they can hook this stuff in long-term even if it's limited right now.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
When I bought the Sam & Max bundle. My game count went from like 685 to 706! That's insane!
I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand, it means more games on my profile. On the other, it means more entries on my library.

Does it run better on PC than on Wii? They ran rather bad there, and I stopped at S1E6 because I got stuck there (I also got stuck at S1E5 once and had to use a guide). But for 10 bucks I'm tempted to get the 3 seasons.

Wok

How do I launch TF2 in text mode? Is it possible to simultaneously run several games on the same PC?

I would like to watch Dota 2 matches and have TF2 idle.

Edit: There are tutorials, but I would like a virus-free no-ban reliable method.

Edit: -textmode

cicero

Bleed was just greenlit. Those who bought the IndieGameStand bundle a week or so ago, or the Groupees Retro Groupee Bundle should get their Steam keys at some point soon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do I launch TF2 in text mode? Is it possible to simultaneously run several games on the same PC?

-textmode in the launch options. You can run multiple Steam games concurrently simply by alt-tabbing and loading up your game/s of choice; however, that said, you can't run two Valve games at the same time, so no, say, CS:GO + TF2 idling.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Where the fuck is Divekick. Maybe they need to add Gabe to the game.

It's bizarre because Divekick devs actually seem to care and are marketing the hell out of their game to the fighting game community.

Caerith

Well, it's still in beta and just started yesterday. They could be looking at market prices and over time will experiment with routine drop resets or other factors before going to 'release'
True, true. Guess we'll see where they fall on the egalitarianism vs capitalism scale of things when it goes final.

That's not quite true. Don't look at it as "My aim is to complete all badges for all games". What it encourages you is to pick and choose the games you want to obtain badges in. For example, a user could trade their Don't Starve cards for Portal cards in order to get the Portal badge and give someone else the Don't Starve badge. Imagine when they support 200 games and you have 1000 trading cards to trade--you'll be able to complete some badges easily.

As of right now relatively few games are supported, but think long-term of the opportunity to "show that you're a fan" to specific games. Also imagine that summer and winter promotions give out extra trading cards.

It's pretty easy to see how they can hook this stuff in long-term even if it's limited right now.
But you can still only get cards for games you own and play. Many people ITT own lots of games but play few of them, so, sure, if I want a Portal Badge then I better go and re-install Half-Life 2. But how does that affect someone who only buys the games they are fans of? What if the only game on your account is Portal because you're a big fan of Portal and Portal is the only game you want to support?

Wok

-textmode in the launch options. You can run multiple Steam games concurrently simply by alt-tabbing and loading up your game/s of choice; however, that said, you can't run two Valve games at the same time, so no, say, CS:GO + TF2 idling.

Thanks. So I should buy "Do not Starve" and launch it along a Valve game.

Edit: I have a better line now, thanks to a GAFfer.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But you can still only get cards for games you own and play. Many people ITT own lots of games but play few of them, so, sure, if I want a Portal Badge then I better go and re-install Half-Life 2. But how does that affect someone who only buys the games they are fans of? What if the only game on your account is Portal because you're a big fan of Portal and Portal is the only game you want to support?

You are forced to use bizarre extreme examples to make a point. That should tell you something about your argument.

Thanks. So I should buy "Do not Starve" and launch it along a Valve game.

The drops probably require you to be visibly (as in show on your friends list) playing the game you want the drops for. Dota and most multiplayer Valve games have to be played visibly I believe if you want the online to function.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
True, true. Guess we'll see where they fall on the egalitarianism vs capitalism scale of things when it goes final.

Then you have failed the Steam metagame, which consists on buying lots of games and playing none of them.

I don't monitor performance, but I haven't noticed any huge hiccups. Recently played BioShock Infinite on "high" settings and it ran beautifully. Regularly play Dota 2, Hotline Miami, Civ V and a bunch more without any issues whatsoever.

I don't personally game on a mac, but it was fine in boot camp from what i've tried it from, Its just a native windows install

Alright, I'll look into it. I'm sure I have a copy of Windows around here somewhere (I have an Asus Windows tablet) or I can make a copy from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom