• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibarraz

Banned
Thanks for the invitation DunderHassen!

Wanted to thank you from chat, but I could not click your name before accepting your invitation

Thanks for the invitation DunderHassen!

Wanted to thank you from chat, but I could not click your name before accepting your invitation

My pleasure, welcome to the gang :)

Can you idle CS:GO and get cards during the free weekend (without owning the full game)?
TF2 cards are gonna crash for sure, I mean, there are users with 100+ alt accounts just for idling.
It's a matter of time before they send out a lot of invites and TF2 cards flood the market.

sibarraz

Banned
You can't get the cards without paying for something in TF2 or DOTA2, so probably not.

What things you had to buy on those F2P games? Items?

I feel bad for selling an invitation, but I wanted the badge that you got for selling an item in the market, so I sold the beta pass for 0.01 dollars

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Was going to play some more Borderlands today but now I'm playing the Steam Trading Card game. ._.
Haha I know right. I got a Portal 2 card then forced myself to get away from this evil and go play some Dishonored like originally planned.

Anyone play Kerbal Space Program? A quick search yielded nothing. The idea of the game appeals to me, and I understand it's still a beta release, but I feel a weird sort of need to buy and play the game.

The Idle Thumbs podcast had an episode a week or two ago where they raved about it for a good half hour. The podcast is worth listening to anyways but if you want some encouraging feedback on the game give it a listen.

What things you had to buy on those F2P games? Items?

I feel bad for selling an invitation, but I wanted the badge that you got for selling an item in the market, so I sold the beta pass for 0.01 dollars

I guess so.

I got TF2 when it wasn't F2P and I haven't made any purchases from the DOTA2 store.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I know there are more detailed TF2 threads, but quick question here -- what's the deal with the Player vs Computer mode (Mann vs Machine)? I thought it was free, but apparently to play on the proper servers and keep track of your mission progress, you need to buy items? I checked the TF2 Wiki and it's still not clear how it works. Is there a concise, plain English explanation?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I know there are more detailed TF2 threads, but quick question here -- what's the deal with the Player vs Computer mode (Mann vs Machine)? I thought it was free, but apparently to play on the proper servers and keep track of your mission progress, you need to buy items? I checked the TF2 Wiki and it's still not clear how it works. Is there a concise, plain English explanation?

You can play on free servers all that you want.

To MAKE SURE you'll get a rare (or even rarer) drop at the end of a session, you need to use a ticket (that costs like 2 bucks).

However, there's NOT A SINGLE DIFFEERENCE from playing on the open, free servers (other than the fact that you WON'T surely get a rare item drop).

All the items are cosmetical only.

I'd be curious to know this as well. I bought some ticket thing which I thought was a one-time purchase for a $1 to access "official" servers but it is evidently used up after every game session.... are people actually paying a $1 to play each time?!

Also, just as an observation, why are the options screens so obtuse? Scrolled through the litany of options to find you cannot even change crouch to toggle.

Also, just as an observation, why are the options screens so obtuse? Scrolled through the litany of options to find you cannot even change crouch to toggle.
Considering how the game works you really wouldn't want that, there's not much use for it to be a toggle, but there are means of scripting toggle crouch if it's absolutely necessary.

Valve hasn't changed that menu in like 15 years no joke.

And I'm pretty sure you can.

Edit: Now that I think about it yeah Ricken is right I think you need a script. It's not hard to do.

HoosTrax

Dayum...Reus has 103 achievements. They really want my money. Well, got a week to decide before the early adopter discount goes away.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'd be curious to know this as well. I bought some ticket thing which I thought was a one-time purchase for a $1 to access "official" servers but it is evidently used up after every game session.... are people actually paying a $1 to play each time?!

You only lose the ticket if you complete a.. I forgot the name.

Basically, only if you complete the amount of rounds each thing is compromised of. And then you'll get a Rare (or Elite) drop. Certainly.

So how exactly do you get cards to drop in TF2? I bought a crate for .03, is that good enough?

I'm guessing not....as none of my hats are sell-able yet either.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

So, there are "Tours". Tours is what we, not crazy people, call "a map". There's four "tours" in Mann vs Machine: Big Rock, Coal Town, Decoy and Mannworks.

Each tour is made out of "Waves". Which is the amount of... waves that a "map" (or "tour") has. If you get through all the waves, you'll have completed a Tour.

There's two kinds of Servers: The regular, free, hosted by the community ones. Those are regular MvM maps. There's nothing at the end of each Tour: The server just loads the next map on the rotation.

Then there's the "Official Valve" servers. Those servers require a Ticket to be entered (a ticket which you pay to get from the Official Mann Co. Store). When a Tour is completed in one of those servers, that Ticket is "consumed" (you don't get it back) and You'll get either a Rare or Special item at the end of said tour. You WILL get that item at the end of it.

If you don't finish the tour (you quit midway through it, your connection drops, there's not enough people to finish it), the ticket doesn't get consumed and you can use it again.

However, there's another ticked called "Squad Surplus". That item is something you use ALONGSIDE the admittance ticket (which name I forgot). It gives one extra drop per player per ticket at the END of the tour (if you get there).

So, let's say we're all good friends and we play a lot of TF2. If we create a in-game group (up to 6 people), we need to use ONE (1) ticket to play on the official servers. One ticket for the entire group. If we finish it, we'll lose that ticket and get either a Rare or a Special item at the end of it. For each "Squad Surplus" we have, another either Rare or Special item will drop at the end of the tour. For instance: If one player uses 1 ticket, at the end of the tour, every player will get 2 items. If 4 players use 1 ticket each, at the end of the tour, we'll get five (5) items each: One for completing an official MvM Tour and one for each of the tickets.

Everybody on the server playing it gets the extra item.

Those items do not count your total weekly TF2 item drop: They're rewards for completing tours on the MvM servers.

There's also some progress thing that's kept. Since there are only 4 (or 5) tours available on the MvM mode, you only need that many tickets to complete everything (and be able to get at the end of it). I don't know what having all the progress ticked off gets you.

1-D_FTW

How many cards can you get in CS: GO? 4 or 5? If it's five, I'm thinking I should just go head and buy the stupid game anyways. Generic drops will come close to covering the cost.

What's the deal with these coupons? I've got one as well, despite already owning the game.

I think they're trying to drum up hype for Rome 2. The message next to my coupon said "Thank you for being a fan of Total War: Shogun 2! Give this coupon of 75% off Total War: Shogun 2 to a friend!"

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There's two kinds of Servers: The regular, free, hosted by the community ones. Those are regular MvM maps. There's nothing at the end of each Tour: The server just loads the next map on the rotation.

Then there's the "Official Valve" servers. Those servers require a Ticket to be entered (a ticket which you pay to get from the Official Mann Co. Store). When a Tour is completed in one of those servers, that Ticket is "consumed" (you don't get it back) and You'll get either a Rare or Special item at the end of said tour. You WILL get that item at the end of it.

Can you get any items through the regular free servers? Your description makes it seem like you can't, but someone else's earlier description just implied it wasn't a guarantee.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can you get any items through the regular free servers? Your description makes it seem like you can't, but someone else's earlier description just implied it wasn't a guarantee.

I'll repost it for the new page, but I wrote a better explanation:

So, there are "Tours". Tours is what we, not crazy people, call "a map". There's four "tours" in Mann vs Machine: Big Rock, Coal Town, Decoy and Mannworks.

Each tour is made out of "Waves". Which is the amount of... waves that a "map" (or "tour") has. If you get through all the waves, you'll have completed a Tour.

If you don't finish the tour (you quit midway through it, your connection drops, there's not enough people to finish it), the ticket doesn't get consumed and you can use it again.

However, there's another ticked called "Squad Surplus". That item is something you use ALONGSIDE the admittance ticket (which name I forgot). It gives one extra drop per player per ticket at the END of the tour (if you get there).

So, let's say we're all good friends and we play a lot of TF2. If we create a in-game group (up to 6 people), we need to use ONE (1) ticket to play on the official servers. One ticket for the entire group. If we finish it, we'll lose that ticket and get either a Rare or a Special item at the end of it. For each "Squad Surplus" we have, another either Rare or Special item will drop at the end of the tour. For instance: If one player uses 1 ticket, at the end of the tour, every player will get 2 items. If 4 players use 1 ticket each, at the end of the tour, we'll get five (5) items each: One for completing an official MvM Tour and one for each of the tickets.

Everybody on the server playing it gets the extra item.

Those items do not count your total weekly TF2 item drop: They're rewards for completing tours on the MvM servers.

There's also some progress thing that's kept. Since there are only 4 (or 5) tours available on the MvM mode, you only need that many tickets to complete everything (and be able to get at the end of it). I don't know what having all the progress ticked off gets you.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I'm not sure, but I don't think you can get the Special Bot-Killer weapons (that's what drops from the MvM official servers) from free servers (as a Rare Drop), no.

However, they're 100% cosmetical items. Also, like I said, they're not part of your Weekly Allotted Item Drops.

You can get a random assortment of Items from just playing TF2 on regular servers, MvM or not. I'm just not sure about the specific Bot-Killer weapons from MvM.

jediyoshi

You'd still get whatever normal drops as you would through playing normally. The fancy mvm specific items, nope.

So how exactly do you get cards to drop in TF2? I bought a crate for .03, is that good enough?

I'm guessing not....as none of my hats are sell-able yet either.

I think you got it wrong.
I suppose you have TF2 Free, to get those cards you need Premium.
Upgrading to Premium can be done buying any item from Mann-Co Store, NOT buying from Steam Market. (i'm pretty sure at least)

catabarez

I just have two more cards and I hope one of those ends up being a foil. Then I will buy Don't Starve and make even more money. I'm up to a little over $35 off of TF2 items and the cards.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I have 3 Trading Card Beta accesses in my inventory...that means I got it, I assume? How do I know I have it? Do I have to enable it in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom