• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

OK, cheers anyway. I could do with reinstalling Windows soon-ish so just wondered. I'll have a dig around the Steam forums and see if there's any info on there.

This is off-topic, but if reinstalling Steam solves your issues, that means you only have one partition? Add a second when you install Windows. It's nice to keep all your Steam files on a separate partition so you don't need to redownload all your files when you reinstall Windows again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mothafuckin Foil Spy card. People have obscene prices for it atm (3 up) so I'm gonna try to get 25$ out of it. I figure if someone bought an emoticon at 20 this can move too.

I'm not totally sure about what's going on here, but if I'm not mistaken, you wanted help with buying Terraria?
The deal is still up (25 mins), isnt it? What's the hurry?

He's being a jackwagon

Sadness has a price.

XrQgFEU.jpg

guilty. I've been assimilated into the Beta.

1-D_FTW

Mothafuckin Foil Spy card. People have obscene prices for it atm (3 up) so I'm gonna try to get 25$ out of it. I figure if someone bought an emoticon at 20 this can move too.

Well fuck that. I just spent 1.11 buying access to the beta. If people are gonna be stupid, I wanna play too.

This is off-topic, but if reinstalling Steam solves your issues, that means you only have one partition? Add a second when you install Windows. It's nice to keep all your Steam files on a separate partition so you don't need to redownload all your files when you reinstall Windows again.

Sorry, I've derailed this a bit- it's actually a separate physical disc. I was running out of space on my C drive, so have started putting the larger games onto my second drive. I don't have a problem with Steam, but could do with reinstalling Windows at some point due to some other issues, and wondered how Steam kept track of where your games are located.

The idea would be to backup the Steam apps folder on the boot drive to the secondary drive and then reinstall Windows. I was unsure though how Steam would pick up where the games were located if they were on a separate physical drive as I wouldn't want to copy them back on to the boot drive.

Hope that makes sense, and apologies for piggy-backing on the original question.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Well fuck that. I just spent 1.11 buying access to the beta. If people are gonna be stupid, I wanna play too.
I refuse to pay. If I waited this long (a day and a half), I can wait forever!

Sorry, I've derailed this a bit- it's actually a separate physical disc. I was running out of space on my C drive, so have started putting the larger games onto my second drive. I don't have a problem with Steam, but could do with reinstalling Windows at some point due to some other issues, and wondered how Steam kept track of where your games are located.

The idea would be to backup the Steam apps folder on the boot drive to the secondary drive and then reinstall Windows. I was unsure though how Steam would pick up where the games were located if they were on a separate physical drive as I wouldn't want to copy them back on to the boot drive.

Hope that makes sense, and apologies for piggy-backing on the original question.
You're supposed to insult us and scream because we aren't able to answer your question, due to ignorance/sleepiness/lack of trust, and act as if the whole purpose of the thread was giving you an answer. Who do you think you are, treating us like we were people and actually being kind to us?

Don't worry man, you don't need to apologize! Steam will look for the Steamapps folder in the path were you last installed it, so if you delete everything in the Steam folder EXCEPT for said folder (Steamapps, which contains your games data) and Steam.exe, move them to another folder/partition/drive and then launch Steam.exe, it will automatically download the required client files and install itself on the new location, recognizing your games in the process.

1-D_FTW

Oh. Keeping them on a second disk is smart. That's what I do. And although I don't think this is the recommended method, I've always just reinstalled Steam onto my second drive whenever I do a Windows re-install. Maybe I'm playing with fire by being so lazy, but it's always worked and I've never lost installed games this way.

So I don't see why you just can't do what you're describing (pretty sure I did that in the past). Just copy the the Steam folder onto your second drive and they'll be there when you re-install Windows. If you've got games spread across multiple discs, I'm not sure how that'll work (with finding them all), but Steam is pretty torture proof otherwise.

I refuse to pay. If I waited this long (a day and a half), I can wait forever!

I feel dirty for paying, but gotta get my scratch off ticket if I wanna play. Besides, I'm still ahead by 30 dollars or so with regards to marketplace:)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh. Keeping them on a second disk is smart. That's what I do. And although I don't think this is the recommended method, I've always just reinstalled Steam onto my second drive whenever I do a Windows re-install. Maybe I'm playing with fire by being so lazy, but it's always worked and I've never lost installed games this way.

I have a 1tb drive partition (on a 3tb drive) only for games. Steam is installed in that folder.

Doesn't matter what I do (reinstall windows, move that Steam installation to another drive, copy it to another computer), my games are always downloaded. At most, Steam just need to reinstall/redownload the redistributable DirectX libraries (which I delete, from time to time).

IMO, the right way is installing Steam on a different partition than windows and only use the "install this game on a different folder" option on Steam if you want to put games on a SSD for faster loading, for instance.

It's the most hassle-free way of doing it.

I would, actually, suggest Sportbilly to move his SteamApps folder on the Windows Installation drive to another drive (for instance, D:\Steam), along with the .EXE file, and run everything from there instead.

So I don't see why you just can't do what you're describing (pretty sure I did that in the past). Just copy the the Steam folder onto your second drive and they'll be there when you re-install Windows. If you've got games spread across multiple discs, I'm not sure how that'll work (with finding them all), but Steam is pretty torture proof otherwise.

I have a 1tb drive partition (on a 3tb drive) only for games. Steam is installed in that folder.

Doesn't matter what I do (reinstall windows, move that Steam installation to another drive, copy it to another computer), my games are always downloaded. At most, Steam just need to reinstall/redownload the redistributable DirectX libraries (which I delete, from time to time).

IMO, the right way is installing Steam on a different partition than windows and only use the "install this game on a different folder" option on Steam if you want to put games on a SSD for faster loading, for instance.

It's the most hassle-free way of doing it.

I would, actually, suggest Sportbilly to move his SteamApps folder on the Windows Installation drive to another drive (for instance, D:\Steam), along with the .EXE file, and run everything from there instead.

Ahh, thanks, good idea. Yes, merging the two Steam app folders and then re-installing Steam onto the second drive might do the trick.

Right, now what about my SQL Server and Visual Studio reinstall.... ;)

Deadbeat

Banned
Bought a beta key. I spend 1 dollar and I will make many dollars selling cards. How could I refuse?

edit: can I be a cheap asshole and idle in tf2 to collect cards?

Neki

Why do you think people are obligated to buy you stuff with near-zero guarantee that you will pay them back tomorrow?

Specially when, as you so eloquently put, you're not one of the 10 people that have been on the thread since the beginning and, thus, nobody that frequents the thread daily really knows who you are?

I mean, you're more than welcome to ask, and people are more than welcome to help you. But nobody is obligated to.

If I don't pay them back, (their 3 dollars), then feel free to report me to the GAF moderator team, why wouldn't I pay you back? I think most people would value their GAF account at higher than 3 dollars, I certainly do. And if that truly was the issue, someone could have asked me to pay them first, and I gladly would have. But no one said anything, so don't say it's because people didn't trust me. If I'm a junior with 20 posts, I'd understand your point, but that's clearly not the case.

You're the problem right now in this thread.

Yeah, someone asking for help is problem, great insight.

People help each other out in this thread all the time, you just decided to throw a fit because someone didn't help you by some arbitrary deadline.

No, I was upset because I got ignored because I wasn't a "regular." If I have to be a regular for someone to help me out, this defeats the point of the thread. I know you're a nice person, but sadly, you weren't on. And it wasn't arbitrary, I could only access my Paypal yesterday because I was going to sleep and I was going to be out all day until there was no time left, and Paypal still isn't working today. (When accessed from Steam).

I'm not totally sure about what's going on here, but if I'm not mistaken, you wanted help with buying Terraria?
The deal is still up (25 mins), isnt it? What's the hurry?

It's fine now, I just got Archie to spot me Terraria, and he didn't question my integrity as a gaffer.

So... we're here to serve you and fulfill your requests in the quickest way possible? Its weird, because you're arguing against entitlement, yet you're the most entitled person in here.

I never said that, and if asking for help about a common steam issue or someone to pay 3 dollars to get me a game on sale is entitled, then I suppose I expect too much out of some GAFfers sometimes.

I didn't sign up for the beta until yesterday. Who knew this was going to be a money making operation. Damn you, Gabe. When will I ever learn my lesson.

Wow. So you're pissed that for once, people were actually discussing the major additions Valve made to the Steam client... in the Steam thread... instead of the trading thread?

And I doubt it was many people, because for people in the US, you were doing this in the dead of the night. By the time I saw your request this morning, you were already calling everyone useless (which I thought was just some friendly chiding. Didn't realize you were seeing blood over it.)

Honestly, I wasn't that mad until people started saying it was my fault for doing it late at night, when there was clearly people around to help.

You're gonna go ahead with a full frontal assault, right? Can't wait for your inevitable meltdown, I know you can do it.

It's gonna be hard to up HolyBaikal's, but I have faith in you. Please don't disappoint me.

No meltdown here, I've been banned for saying worse things, but I'm not going to petty and start calling people names or do stupid shit like that.

It's also weird to automatically assume that just because 6 people were actively posting in this thread, any one of them would be in a position to help with Paypal purchase issues. We have members from all around the world, and many of them can't do those types of purchases to begin with, for one reason or another.

That's a fair point, but I'm sure some of those people were in a position to at least buy the game. That's all I asked, so I could get it before it wasn't on sale.

Chronoja

Bought a beta key. I spend 1 dollar and I will make many dollars selling cards. How could I refuse?

edit: can I be a cheap asshole and idle in tf2 to collect cards?

If you've seen the other thread about the cards I posted time data about the drops. It looks like there's a card check every 20 - 25 minutes, if you are in game during the check you get the card. It does not seem tied to the amount of time you've spent in game.

I'm timing Don't Starve at the moment.

quoting just to give you an idea on how long you might expect to idle in a single session.

My first ever game of CS:GO and there is a blatant hacker in it...

Don't think I'll be buying this.

Or....how about playing in a different server before you jump to the conclusion that the game is full of hackers from a single map

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I never said that, and if asking for help about a common steam issue or someone to pay 3 dollars to get me a game on sale is entitled, then I suppose I expect too much out of some GAFfers sometimes.

Asking for help isn't. This hissy-fit you're throwing most certainly is.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Guys, I am getting cards on every game except Don't Starve. I tried reinstalling and still nothing. Steam also says I played 1,193,044 hrs of Don't Starve. :(

Time for a support ticket I guess.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Guys, I am getting cards on every game except Don't Starve. I tried reinstalling and still nothing. Steam also says I played 1,193,044 hrs of Don't Starve. :(

They said the time tracking can be a bit glitchy at the moment since they are changing how it works.

i thought you were kidding with the playtime but you really weren't

PVPEfJX.jpg

don't spoil the future for me

Addnan

This trading card game has paid for Fez, system shock and shogun 2. Not bad heh. Guessing value of these things will drop now that more people are getting in.

Wok

We've just added another 50,000 users from the Steam Trading Group to the beta (in addition to the 10,000 users we added early today).

Valve is punishing speculators. Thankfully, I am not an invite hoarder, I have just speculated on one invite, and lost 48 cents.

8jWElBI.png

There are now more invites than Steam users genuinely interested in Steam Card Trading Beta.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Xelios not only buys every game there is, he also plays them for every one of us.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Okay, I think the pool-pissing party is over now.

1) Yes, the thread occasionally gets a little high on its own supply, and devolves into a back-patting session or a chat room. That's unfortunate, but normally self-correcting as new news or releases happens. Personally I like review posts and stuff related to actually playing games. Most of the discussion yesterday was on-topic, because yesterday involved a pretty major new Steam feature being released and people trying to figure it out.

2) No one asking anything in any thread should expect an immediate response to anything; if people want to reply, they can reply, no one has an obligation to help anyone. Time pressure or personal importance doesn't change the way you can expect people to respond to you. Posts get missed. I make interesting posts that no one replies to, or at least posts I think are interesting, but sometimes people don't reply. I've asked for help and not gotten replies here, elsewhere on GAF, and even on threads I've created. Sometimes them's the breaks. I guess I can take this opportunity to remind thread regulars that if you see someone that needs help, it might be useful to reply with "No idea, sorry bud :(" just to let them know that someone saw their post.

3) Most of the posters in this topic are very very generous and I am confident that any GAFfer who isn't sending up an immediate suspicious flag could get someone to spot them a $5 game when they're having Paypal trouble. In the end, your problem got solved by a GAFfer as I understand it.

4) Asking explicitly for someone to buy it for you is more helpful than asking "Can anyone help?" or "Does anyone know what the problem is?" Unfortunately both Paypal and Steam aren't known for having helpful, easy-to-deal-with error messages and although I didn't see your post yesterday, if I did, I wouldn't have replied because I thought you were asking for tech support and I don't know how to solve the issue. There's also the Steam Trading/Buying/Selling thread that would be a good place to ask. You can also create a thread if you feel what you're asking for needs a thread. And then there's off-board ways to contact people in this thread, like the GAF Steam Group or GAF Steam Chat.

5) Every game that's ever been on sale will go on sale again, generally for a lower price and generally within a month or two of the last sale. Missing a sale is not a big deal. It's OK.

6) Regardless of who did what, there's no need to be rude about it when following up--and to everyone else, there's no reason to try to goad someone who is clearly mad into getting madder. Defuse the situation. Add to ignore list if necessary.

Any further replies on this subject by any party will be deleted. Thanks.

iAjh46X.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hell yeah, got a Trading Card invite! THANK YOU BASED GABEN.

Looks like setting my 3DS on fire while dancing in his honor wasn't useless after all.

I'll get a level 5 foil bordered TF2 badge one day, but I like that they're expanding badges to something more rapid and plentiful, beyond some lame seasonal sales voting.

Tomodachi

I feel dumb. I got three invites in my inventory, if I try to redeem one it says I already have the game (or service I guess). But I don't see a card section anywhere, do I get them as normal items? And do I just need to play something to get them?

1-D_FTW

I can't believe I've gotten sucked into this. Anyone wanna trade useless crates to get the trading badge?

I feel dumb. I got three invites in my inventory, if I try to redeem one it says I already have the game (or service I guess). But I don't see a card section anywhere, do I get them as normal items? And do I just need to play something to get them?

Should be under your user name --> Badges.

Not sure if you have to play "Steam Card Trading Badge Beta Access" first. Or restart Steam. I did both before I figured out that's where they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom