• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

It costs $9 (worth of items bought from the mann store) to get an additional card drop in tf2. Feels really...greedy...don't really think I like that at all.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It costs $9 (worth of items bought from the mann store) to get addition card drops in tf2. Feels really...greedy...don't really think I like that at all.

No it doesn't. You can buy ANY ITEM on the Mann Co's Store and your account will be upgraded. A key, which you can resell for pretty much 10 cents less, is $2,50.

There are some other items that costs cents.

You only need to put 5 bucks MINIMUM on your Steam Wallet Account if you're transfering from your CC.

Chronoja

What about free to play games like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2?
Free to play games drop game cards based on your in-game purchasing history. If you've made purchases in-game prior to the Steam Trading Card Beta, or if you purchased TF2 prior to the Free to Play Update, you'll have 4 or 5 drops available for these games. You'll receive more card drops when you buy items in game, approximately one card drop for every $9 USD spent.

From their FAQ

I'm talking about after you've exhausted 5 allotted card drops from the game. Not what it takes for a non premium to start getting them.

TheExodu5

Banned
I wish there was an achievement summary page somewhere. I want to see what game I have perfected. I have no idea.

Can I have them? My luck at getting anything beta sucks.

Sorry friends have spoken for them. :(

You can buy an invite off the marketplace for $0.15 though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
From their FAQ

I'm talking about after you've exhausted 5 allotted card drops from the game. Not what it takes for a non premium to start getting them.

Oh, ok. I didn't understand your wording properly.

Edit: However... what if you just buy 4 keys, resell them for minimal loss and sell the Card Drop?

Counting Valve's percentage, I'd guess that you would just end up even?

I feel that most people don't have the golden potato because they were to scared to play Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
i have a personal sense of superiority over golden potatoheads knowing i don't have aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa or similar dijiman crap in my steam account

Chronoja

Oh, ok. I didn't understand your wording properly.

Edit: However... what if you just buy 4 keys, resell them for minimal loss and sell the Card Drop?

Counting Valve's percentage, I'd guess that you would just end up even?

That's actually quite a good idea. Would depend heavily on the demand of keys though which I'd imagine is pretty constant. Hmm, it could work.

For Dota I purchased a name tag for $0.99 and sold it for $0.8 immediately.

Which doesn't help because of the bug, but in theory it is a good deal, especially if you drop a foil.

sibarraz

Banned
I don't get this

Let's say that I play HL2 like the faq says, in the enterity of the game existence, I could only get 4 random cards just playing the game, so in order to complete the game I will need to buy other cards from the market if I want to complete the collection?

I don't want to trade since that means that I will lose that specific card forever, it's that true or I'm wrong?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
That's actually quite a good idea. Would depend heavily on the demand of keys though which I'd imagine is pretty constant. Hmm, it could work.

Key Demand is huge, but anybody can buy them for $2.50 on the store.
And since valve's cut is like 10% on the User Market, you'd need to sell them at a loss (from what you paid), since nobody is going to pay more than $2.50 for them.

So, if you sold them for $2.49 each (which I don't think you would, since there are already people selling keys on the Market), you'd get $2.24 dollars on your account (after the $0.249 cents that would go to Valve).

Four keys is $8.96 USD. 4 Keys costs $10. That's a $1.04 loss. Your card would need to be sold at $1.16 (so valve can take $0.116 off the top) and you'd get $1.044 and cover your loss.

Anything more than that would be profit.

Caerith

Alternately, you could make an alt account, upgrade your TF2 and Dota 2 by adding $5 to your steam wallet, etc etc, and get a full load of cards.

Edit: Hell, BrokenEchelon summarized it a lot better:

images

New Account + Don't Starve = $15 for 4 cards.
New Account + Counter-Strike: Global Offensive = $15 for 4 cards.
New Account + Half-Life 2 = $10 for 4 cards.
New Account + Portal 2 = $20 for 4 cards.
New Account + $0.50 item in Mann Co. Store = 5 cards.
New Account + $0.75 item in DOTA 2 Store = 4 cards. (Someone correct me on DOTA 2 Premium requirements please)

Or: Spend $9 in DOTA 2/TF2 Store for 1 card.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Don't forget that at higher levels you get to have 2 showcases, not just one. How the hell someone is already level 20 is beyond me though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Alternately, you could make an alt account, upgrade your TF2 and Dota 2 by adding $5 to your steam wallet, etc etc, and get a full load of cards.

I don't think Valve would like you having your credit card on multiple Steam accounts. But maybe they wouldn't care?

Chronoja

I don't get this

Let's say that I play HL2 like the faq says, in the enterity of the game existence, I could only get 4 random cards just playing the game, so in order to complete the game I will need to buy other cards from the market if I want to complete the collection?

I don't want to trade since that means that I will lose that specific card forever, it's that true or I'm wrong?

Yeah. Unless the card drops reset the system is inherently flawed. Consider you can level up the badges, but the card drops never reset. To get a level 1 badge you need your own 50% of cards + 1 other persons. Level 2, you need another 2 people's worth of 5 cards.

To get a level 5 badge therefore you need the equivalent of yours + 9 other peoples 50% of card drops, assuming none of these people get duplicate cards. So, 1 in 10 people, if the drop system doesn't change, and discounting the extra cards for $9 in tf2 and dota, will be able to obtain a level 5 badge.

But it's all a beta, and I expect things to change.

Fox318

GB staff didn't mention this during the QL but fences in Prison Architect are free. so don't build a prison with no walls.

jsrv

Don't forget that at higher levels you get to have 2 showcases, not just one. How the hell someone is already level 20 is beyond me though.

I saw a few profiles that are over level 20 (21-23 or so). They are all Valve employee accounts, the Valve employee badge is 1000 EXP.

Chronoja

Edit: Hell, BrokenEchelon summarized it a lot better:

I'm not going to invest this much into the system, especially not at this early time. I think the whole concept of alt accounts, idling, grinding...all of it just undermines the concept which seems to be "reward people for being passionate about the games they play".

I just feel like I can see the "man behind the curtain" when I read "additional cards for $9". It turns it from a fun little experiment into a more obvious money grab. I love steam and all, that's why I find it that little bit more noteworthy.

jediyoshi

So, 1 in 10 people, if the drop system doesn't change, and discounting the extra cards for $9 in tf2 and dota, will be able to obtain a level 5 badge.

But it's all a beta, and I expect things to change.

Then again, I'd imagine 1 in 10 is plenty as far as the amount of people concerned with accomplishing that in any case.

Caerith

I'm not going to invest this much into the system, especially not at this early time. I think the whole concept of alt accounts, idling, grinding...all of it just undermines the concept which seems to be "reward people for being passionate about the games they play".

I just feel like I can see the "man behind the curtain" when I read "additional cards for $9". It turns it from a fun little experiment into a more obvious money grab. I love steam and all, that's why I find it that little bit more noteworthy.
Seriously. Remember when Valve did a Summer Camp thing with tickets for earning achievements and other fun free stuff? Back before they learned what economics were?

Anyway, on a non-capitalist tangent, what's the best way to go about trading cards? I don't want to spam up this thread, but I wouldn't mind doing a 1:1 trade to complete my Portal 2 set.

sibarraz

Banned
Still, I had seen that some cards are sold at a minimum of 0.3 I strongly believe than if you really eant a level5 badge, it will be a better idea to just buy all the cards individually rather than spending 9 dollars in a game or grinding with alt accounts, besides there are always friends who had the game and will give you the cards for the sake of it

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I guess this is the best place to ask: Anybody ever backed up their entire steam library to an external before?

I'm doing so now for a reformat and it came out to just under 200GB that needed to be backed up, but when it actually went to do so the number came up as 77GB. I'm guessing that's compressed. But regardless, when it finally got close to the end the number went up slightly to 78277MB.

Now the progress is at 78276/78277MB and it has been like that for about an hour plus now. Should I be worried? Is that a reasonable time for the backup client to be finishing up and compressing for that amount of data? Is that a reasonable post-estimate compressed backup size? I hate stuff like this because I can't tell if its just being slow or something is wrong :( Hasn't frozen though.

Could someone throw me an invite to.....the GAF group please?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrdelabee/
Thought I was on it already but seems that I am not, I'm on the GAF indie group though.
Cheers.

Do people think that Valve will tie some specific Trading Cards to their annual sales?

Awesome speed skills Caerith, cheers for the invite.

jediyoshi

I guess this is the best place to ask: Anybody ever backed up their entire steam library to an external before?

I'm doing so now for a reformat and it came out to just under 200GB that needed to be backed up, but when it actually went to do so the number came up as 77GB. I'm guessing that's compressed. But regardless, when it finally got close to the end the number went up slightly to 78277MB.

Depending on the way the drives are formatted, the sizes wouldn't transfer over 1:1

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do people think that Valve will tie some specific Trading Cards to their annual sales?
It's pretty much a guarantee. It removes the work load off devs to program new achievements and all they have to do is provide high-res game art to create a set of cards.

Valve said in an interview that that was one of the reasons they had moved away from the sale achievement fests.

Chronoja

Seriously. Remember when Valve did a Summer Camp thing with tickets for earning achievements and other fun free stuff? Back before they learned what economics were?

Anyway, on a non-capitalist tangent, what's the best way to go about trading cards? I don't want to spam up this thread, but I wouldn't mind doing a 1:1 trade to complete my Portal 2 set.

I enjoyed that though. It had me dipping my toes in different games, playing them for certain amounts of time and experiencing new stuff. Of course there was the trouble of some achievements being really obtuse like the A.I. fleet command one requiring you to accrue like 30 million resources in lost ships or something, but part of the problem there was that they were time restrictive, as in, the sale would end in a few weeks you didn't have the time to really learn the game and play it to that sort of level if you weren't already familiar with it.

Achievements are just as easily exploited though as is a time based system. It's sort of a hard nut to crack in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom