• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

It's pretty much a guarantee. It removes the work load off devs to program new achievements and all they have to do is provide high-res game art to create a set of cards.

Valve said in an interview that that was one of the reasons they had moved away from the sale achievement fests.

Sounds like a polite way of saying they regretted all the hate rage that people directed at games. I think even Mario was in the official thread and apologizing and saying he didn't pick the Shatter achievement, Valve did.

EDIT: Stumps theory is better. Although I think the rage did sour them a little bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's pretty much a guarantee. It removes the work load off devs to program new achievements and all they have to do is provide high-res game art to create a set of cards.

Valve said in an interview that that was one of the reasons they had moved away from the sale achievement fests.

While Valve is absolutely right, I think it's fair that for a lot of these independent developers, putting in the "lot of work" to get featured in the sale is a large part of what helped them maintain their long-tail so well. They have way more data than I do, but I'd be surprised if the regular participants weren't getting a huge boost from those promotions.

However, I suspect the coordination of those events on the Valve side of things was too much work for the very few product / platform managers they have. Scheduling sale programming (ie which games go where with where other games) is hard enough as-is, actually making sure all the devs hit the deadlines and stuff must be a real pain.

Also it strikes me that Valve has always made sure that Indies have a slice of the pie, but never the full pie. I mean, yeah, they've done a few small indie-only sales, but the vast majority of sales have a bunch of AAA headliners and a couple of indies. My negative tone here is because I think that's unfortunate. But events which require developer work are basically only possible for indies, not mega-devs... Infinity Ward isn't going to add stuff to last year's Call of Duty for a promotion. Even harder for games that lost money for publishers... why would Take 2 pay the dev to add stuff to Spec Ops?

Honestly I'm not sure why Valve doesn't monetize community participation more. As I mentioned with Greenlight, they should be giving me... say, a buck of credit for every 100 votes. Or a ticket for a wishlist draw with each vote. It's all well and good to have badges or summer achievements for "writing a recommendation", but why not encourage continued use of the feature by giving credit or tickets for a wishlist draw for each written recommendation? Why not add purchase links to screenshots or recommendations and give users a kick-back for successful click-through purchases? I think you'd be able to set up requirements such that the reward is low enough that it can't effectively be gained but high enough that people who are aware of the features but don't bother would start bothering. *shrugs*

Thanks. How "close" do you think the game is to being done?

No clue. I don't know what they're final goals are. I would say it's pretty stable for the most part (if that's what you're worried about) so that crashing I experienced was definitely abnormal.

They added a bunch of stuff even just in their last patch (laundry rooms and workshops) and so there will always be more junk to mess with I think every month or so.

But yeah it could be 3 months, it could be a year and a half. I can see it swinging either way.

Caerith

While Valve is absolutely right, I think it's fair that for a lot of these independent developers, putting in the "lot of work" to get featured in the sale is a large part of what helped them maintain their long-tail so well. They have way more data than I do, but I'd be surprised if the regular participants weren't getting a huge boost from those promotions.

However, I suspect the coordination of those events on the Valve side of things was too much work for the very few product / platform managers they have. Scheduling sale programming (ie which games go where with where other games) is hard enough as-is, actually making sure all the devs hit the deadlines and stuff must be a real pain.

Also it strikes me that Valve has always made sure that Indies have a slice of the pie, but never the full pie. I mean, yeah, they've done a few small indie-only sales, but the vast majority of sales have a bunch of AAA headliners and a couple of indies. My negative tone here is because I think that's unfortunate. But events which require developer work are basically only possible for indies, not mega-devs... Infinity Ward isn't going to add stuff to last year's Call of Duty for a promotion. Even harder for games that lost money for publishers... why would Take 2 pay the dev to add stuff to Spec Ops?

Honestly I'm not sure why Valve doesn't monetize community participation more. As I mentioned with Greenlight, they should be giving me... say, a buck of credit for every 100 votes. Or a ticket for a wishlist draw with each vote. It's all well and good to have badges or summer achievements for "writing a recommendation", but why not encourage continued use of the feature by giving credit or tickets for a wishlist draw for each written recommendation? Why not add purchase links to screenshots or recommendations and give users a kick-back for successful click-through purchases? I think you'd be able to set up requirements such that the reward is low enough that it can't effectively be gained but high enough that people who are aware of the features but don't bother would start bothering. *shrugs*
I think you're right about everything except incentivizing recommendations. I mean, look at your feed on Steam Community right now: how much of it is "posting this for the badge"? But I wouldn't mind getting a credit for clickthroughs on screencaps.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Even easier would be to give a 5-10% coupon for any game you voted that you would buy that is eventually greenlit.

HoosTrax

Hrm...so I just started playing CS:GO. And I'm getting a feeling of deja vu while playing Lake. I could have sworn I played a level exactly like this in another game (Left 4 Dead).

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hrm...so I just started playing CS:GO. And I'm getting a feeling of deja vu while playing Lake. I could have sworn I played a level exactly like this in another game (Left 4 Dead).

You did, it's a repurposed version of one of the finale maps. There's a handful of CS:GO levels which are reskinned L4D1/2 maps.

Even easier would be to give a 5-10% coupon for any game you voted that you would buy that is eventually greenlit.

Then people would go around voting for everything in the off-chance it's worth buying. Unless of course, Valve limit the amount of votes you can give, but I don't think that would work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Then people would go around voting for everything in the off-chance it's worth buying. Unless of course, Valve limit the amount of votes you can give, but I don't think that would work.

Idk, it's a fairly inoffensive discount. And if the user doesn't buy the game it's not like it's money lost.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think you're right about everything except incentivizing recommendations. I mean, look at your feed on Steam Community right now: how much of it is "posting this for the badge"? But I wouldn't mind getting a credit for clickthroughs on screencaps.

Well I will say that in past years when sales have given people a ticket or widget or whatever for writing a recommendation, people typically... wrote actual recommendations. I mean, a lot of them were one-line "DIS GAME IS AWESOME BUY IT" crap, but typically they at least chose games they'd actually recommend.

But yeah you're right, clearly people see comments in the activity feeds as not at all worth it.

Caerith

Well I will say that in past years when sales have given people a ticket or widget or whatever for writing a recommendation, people typically... wrote actual recommendations. I mean, a lot of them were one-line "DIS GAME IS AWESOME BUY IT" crap, but typically they at least chose games they'd actually recommend.

But yeah you're right, clearly people see comments in the activity feeds as not at all worth it.
If they would have retroactively counted comments and +1s and stuff, this wouldn't be a total spamfest. My feed is usually delightfully tasteful with brilliant recommendations and screenshots, but I can imagine it being a lot worse.

1-D_FTW

Ok, they sucked me in. I got $12 selling badges, then spent it all collecting them in the end.

I've still got 4 of my 5 TF2 slots empty. With the way prices are dropping, I'll unlock the rest tomorrow. And maybe I'll be able to buy the missing ones for 10 cents a pop in a couple days. I'll craft that one. Can't give too much back to the Kraken.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Made a thread for the new release Reus:
screen1.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558684
You guys should definitely check it out.

Remember when Deep Silver said they'd give a free pdf copy of the Metro 2033 novel to everyone who bought the PC version of Last Light? What they forgot to mention was that it was only for North American customers. I know I shouldn't complain too much since it was a free addition but I was really looking forward to reading it, so this kind of sucks.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else find it bothersome to redeem the Genesis Sonic games? It's downloading the whole emulator every time I redeem a new game, and with it being 112MB, I'm forced to wait over 5 minutes each time. Is it supposed to work that way?

Dude, we've been warned not to talk about that any more. For your sake, I'll ask you to remove it ASAP.

I have no idea what just happened, I traded 6 TF2 cards for XCOM + Resident Evil 5, mindblown.

Is it just me who dislike the new profile page?
It's so cluttered, everything take a lot of space and I can't easily see if someone is online (gotta look at the avatar frame border, but the blue kinda melts into the background).
The previous design was better and easier on the eyes IMO.

xJavonta

Banned
These deals are really good and there's a TON of games I actually want for once

But Riot Fest just announced the lineup of bands and the tickets are $120, so I can't really afford to get games right now

Fuck me.

Exuro

$9 in Dota 2 items?
I think so? The FAQ says for f2p games you have to buy $9 in items to get a card to drop, and that for TF2 if you bought it before it went f2p you'd get 1/2 of the set to drop.

What about free to play games like Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2?
Free to play games drop game cards based on your in-game purchasing history. If you've made purchases in-game prior to the Steam Trading Card Beta, or if you purchased TF2 prior to the Free to Play Update, you'll have 4 or 5 drops available for these games. You'll receive more card drops when you buy items in game, approximately one card drop for every $9 USD spent.

http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards/faq/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom