• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

PM sent!

Whoa. First year here, no idea things we're getting taken down.

It's been discusseed before, when a games down it's practically dead in the water with little to no hope of returning to steam in an official capacity sadly, and there's next to nothing we can do about it.

You can use Prey retail keys, from a physical box to redeem on steam btw.

dreamfall

It's been discusseed before, when a games down it's practically dead in the water with little to no hope of returning to steam in an offical capacity sadly, and there's next to nothing we can do about it.

You can use Prey retail keys, from a physical box to redeem on steam btw.

Seriously?! Neat. Alright one of these days I am getting around to that!

So much I still don't know!

1360110016944.gif

I was waiting for this notice!

1-D_FTW

Is this the opening of the floodgates? Will this signal to the east whether or not the PC and steam is a viable platform for them to consider in the future?

Considering who the series appeals to, and how those people tend to be heavily into hardcore Japanese games, I'm thinking it'd make a terrible litmus test. Most Metal Gear fans already have a PS3 (the best Japanese third party system) and have probably already purchased if they like the series. Appealing outside of that base seems like a tuff sell. I'd hate to see support hinge on those numbers.

I contacted support, i really hope i can rollback to the old profile. All these features are useless.

I have an Steam account with almost 1300 games and Origin account with 40 games, why would i need another?
To hell with all this casual BS. You have Raptr or Playfire for that.

You seriously bitched in two threads about new profiles? Valve gives 0 fucks about 'rolling back' your profile.

Was a long wait :)

Welcome back man

holy shit. my pants moved.

oipic

Sitting a frustrating 8 XP short of level 10.

Frustrated that I'm frustrated over something so silly.

Valve, what have you done?

Sitting a frustrating 8 XP short of level 10.

Frustrated that I'm frustrated over something so silly.

Valve, what have you done?

The level gap will never be closed. When there are new quests everybody who cares about them will do them and get all the same XP. Now add this to your frustration list.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll still go on with my tickets to support wether they give a fuck or not. Plain and simple.

Personally I don't like most of the visual elements of the new design although I do like the functional elements.

In terms of being a one-man complaining campaign, you can feel free to do so, but just as a general thing--sites and services change and update their features. Most changes, even ones that are generally received positively, have people who would rather the old system. Even changes that are received negatively are generally kept because the objective the company is trying to achieve is not necessarily the same objective as the user is trying to achieve. So if it feels like a good use of your time, then by all means do it. But it's not likely to accomplish something. This isn't me talking about Steam here, it's me talking about product development in general. Not just websites, not just video games, but everything. Complaints that focus on execution are more likely to be responded to than complaints that just focus on the concept. If you're drawing a line in the sand saying "I don't want social features, I don't want game-tracking stuff, I don't care about Steam as a platform", then basically Valve doesn't agree with you and that's pretty much the end of the dispute, isn't it?

What you might want to try, and this just applies to the web client not the Steam program itself, is using AdBlock or Custom User Scripts to disable the portions of the profile that you don't like.

Ultimately there's no actual reason to go into your profile page to begin with (all it ever was was your basic user info and comments people left on your wall, and now that chat has offline support the comments are superfluous at best), so a third better option might be to just not go to your profile page anymore.

1-D_FTW

Personally I don't like most of the visual elements of the new design although I do like the functional elements.

In terms of being a one-man complaining campaign, you can feel free to do so, but just as a general thing--sites and services change and update their features. Most changes, even ones that are generally received positively, have people who would rather the old system. Even changes that are received negatively are generally kept because the objective the company is trying to achieve is not necessarily the same objective as the user is trying to achieve. So if it feels like a good use of your time, then by all means do it. But it's not likely to accomplish something. This isn't me talking about Steam here, it's me talking about product development in general. Not just websites, not just video games, but everything. Complaints that focus on execution are more likely to be responded to than complaints that just focus on the concept. If you're drawing a line in the sand saying "I don't want social features, I don't want game-tracking stuff, I don't care about Steam as a platform", then basically Valve doesn't agree with you and that's pretty much the end of the dispute, isn't it?

What you might want to try, and this just applies to the web client not the Steam program itself, is using AdBlock or Custom User Scripts to disable the portions of the profile that you don't like.

Ultimately there's no actual reason to go into your profile page to begin with (all it ever was was your basic user info and comments people left on your wall, and now that chat has offline support the comments are superfluous at best), so a third better option might be to just not go to your profile page anymore.

Considering you'll often get a form response to a valid question, I'm sure they've already got one prepared for this. Disgruntled? *Click* Form response reply.

I mean, sure, if he feels better writing it up, go ahead. But the therapeutic response from the writing is the only thing that'll be accomplished.

Considering you'll often get a form response to a valid question, I'm sure they've already got one prepared for this. Disgruntled? *Click* Form response reply.

I mean, sure, if he feels better writing it up, go ahead. But the therapeutic response from the writing is the only thing that'll be accomplished.

I think steam support will suggest deleting clientregistry.blob and restarting steam.
Not even joking.

Maybe he can write a strongly worded letter like a boss.

Aitor

I was selling, some cards, and went to the my account view, and saw in red Total Spent: $1699.50, is that the correct amount of all the things I bought in steam?
First time I saw that on steam, is that because of the chrome add in?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think steam support will suggest deleting clientregistry.blob and restarting steam.
Not even joking.

He wants to retroactively opt out of the CTG beta, so even if Support did humour his request, it'd be a temporary solution. This is why it was joked that he should create a "new account" via Origin.

He wants to retroactively opt out of the CTG beta, so even if Support did humour his request, it'd be a temporary solution. This is why it was joked that he should create a "new account" via Origin.

They won't answer before the new profile is permanent. If they do and you get an actual person speaking to you that would be an anomaly. At least with Origin there is someone replying to you, even if they are still far from being helpful.

Grief.exe

Have you been saving old posts you wanted to reply to while you were banned? :D

Yep, I bookmarked a ton. I threw out about half of them because they weren't really relevant anymore.

Welcome back.

Thanks!

Thank god. I was getting tired of having to go through the registry

that said,

Lord of Shadows has been updated as of 3 days ago
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 was updated as of a day ago

The registry isn't really all that useful anymore. After the massive amount of leaks earlier in the year Valve has really tightened up the ship.

Haha, I laughed. ASCII TF2 or bust!

Welcome back Grief! Looks like you were dying to reply to some old posts xD

I want to play it, but I'm waiting for a sale on the Year of the Snake DLC so I can have it all (except the cheats and cosmetic ones) right from the start, as I won't come back to a game to play its DLC once I'm done with the base game. I'd rather play the whole thing without stopping.

That's why I haven't played Rage either: I want the Scorchers DLC.

I guess that is a viable strategy.

The Sleeping Dogs DLC isn't really that good though. I haven't actually played it so take my statements with a grain of salt, but it doesn't seem very compelling.

I almost feel embarrassed for asking this... but did Shaun White Snowboarding ever release on Steam? Amazon is selling some Ubisoft code, but I couldn't find it on Steam :/

Usually when Amazon sells a game it makes it really obvious where it activates.

I bet you just download that game and it doesn't activate anywhere.

i00usjKgBJXQf.gif

To be honest, I'm not all that interested in MGR or LoS, but its more about what it means for the PC platform.

Its making it look like that both Konami and Platinum are coming to the platform. Meaning we might see things like MGS5, MGS HD collection, and Platinum's future projects. This is what piques my interest.

GAMERG0D

Oh hey Grief is back

FF VII and FF VIII are getting rereleased on PC via Famitsu, should be announced for NA/EU soon.

Also holy shit at Metal Gear

JaseC

They won't answer before the new profile is permanent. If they do and you get an actual person speaking to you that would be an anomaly. At least with Origin there is someone replying to you, even if they are still far from being helpful.

The current system going live is weeks away and it'd be very easy for Valve to rescind his participant status, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. That said, I'm sure we agree that, regardless of the response, it's a pointless endeavour. "Delaying the inevitable" and so on.

No!!

Do not buy headsets on PC, they are far over priced for the horrible audio and build quality.

Grab a nice pair of headphones and a standalone mic. I can make recommendations with your game and music preferences.
I think you missed the fact that I get it practically for free.

Chronoja

Oh hey Grief is back

FF VII and FF VIII are getting rereleased on PC via Famitsu, should be announced for NA/EU soon.

Also holy shit at Metal Gear

Do you mean Steam instead of PC? I ask because FFVII has already technically been "rereleased" on PC.

I know the registry stuff is still wiggling around, if there's a Famitsu announcement then the date may be soon is all.

JaseC

Do you mean Steam instead of PC? I ask because FFVII has already technically been "rereleased" on PC.

I know the registry stuff is still wiggling around, if there's a Famitsu announcement then the date may be soon is all.

Famitsu confirmed only a PC re-release of FFVIII; Steam wasn't specifically mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if FFVIII is, much like its predecessor, exclusive to the Squeenix Store for a while.

The current system going live is weeks away and it'd be very easy for Valve to rescind his participant status, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility. That said, I'm sure we agree that, regardless of the response, it's a pointless endeavour. "Delaying the inevitable" and so on.

Looking back at my past support tickets I might be a bit too harsh towards them. They answered my queries at least in five days. So they might actually opt him out before the deadline.

Also:

Chronoja

Famitsu confirmed only a PC re-release of FFVIII; Steam wasn't specifically mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if FFVIII is, much like its predecessor, exclusive to the Squeenix Store for a while.

Cheers. I hope its not the case but I agree I can see it happening. Still, if the end result sees them make it to steam it doesn't really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom