• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

I played the first chapter of HL2 today and I got a card. All I have to say is all of those feels are intact 9 years later. What an amazing, amazing introduction and game world.

"Doctor Freeman, I presume?"

Too bad about those next few levels

Well, i don't know if it is useless for you, but it is useless for me.
Not like i care that much anyway, i already own the game but i wouldn't mind getting 2 more copies, but not if i have to pay when it should be free to those who have coupons.
Well at the very least you don't know how percentages work.

Grief.exe

I thought the general opinion was that the bonus unlocking process was rigged?

That is our working theory, we have yet to prove it.

We thought we were going to get there with Defiance, but the last week had a massive sales surge.

I played the first chapter of HL2 today and I got a card. All I have to say is all of those feels are intact 9 years later. What an amazing, amazing introduction and game world.

"Doctor Freeman, I presume?"

Too bad about those next few levels

Your spoiler was actually exactly what I was going to say.

The boat mission lasts way too long.

Grief.exe

System Shock 2 is relentless.

There is just wave upon wave of enemies. They are placed throughout the world, and then they respawn randomly.

Combine that with minimal amounts of items and I am going to have a problem here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

A 50% discount applied to a pre-existing discount of 50% would reduce the pre-existing discounted price by half, not create a total discount of 100%. In Duke3D's case, if the coupon did stack, the final price would be $2.50.

I don't see that.

I'm level 5. Does that matter?

I did say that you may need to be Level 10 to select a showcase item. ;)

catabarez

No, its common sense, nothing else.

How do you know that? Duke is %50Off and i have a %50Off coupon, therefore that should give us $0 as the final price for the product.
Its not really that complicated, i hope i don't have to explain this again. :rolleyes:

This is sarcasm right?

Deques

A 50% discount applied to an existing discount of 50% would reduce the pre-existing discounted price by half, not create a total discount of 100%. In Duke3D's case, if the coupon did stack, the final price would be $2.50.

Anyone got a coupon to give me so I can see whether it stack or not :)

ChapaNDJ

Banned
A 50% discount applied to a pre-existing discount of 50% would reduce the pre-existing discounted price by half, not create a total discount of 100%. In Duke3D's case, if the coupon did stack, the final price would be $2.50.

I was talking about discounting the game to %100 using that coupon, not to $2.50 by applying it to the current discounted price which is $4.99.
See, that also is not even possible, this is why i think its useless for me.

Enco

Oh sorry that was stupid of me :lol

Well, i don't know if it is useless for you, but it is useless for me.
Not like i care that much anyway, i already own the game but i wouldn't mind getting 2 more copies, but not if i have to pay when it should be free to those who have coupons.

No, its common sense, nothing else.

How do you know that? Duke is %50Off and i have a %50Off coupon, therefore that should give us $0 as the final price for the product.
Its not really that complicated, i hope i don't have to explain this again. :rolleyes:

images

I think we're done here.

sprinkles

System Shock 2 is relentless.

There is just wave upon wave of enemies. They are placed throughout the world, and then they respawn randomly.

Combine that with minimal amounts of items and I am going to have a problem here.
Just wait until you get to Engineering! And it is easy to conserve ammo by avoiding most of the spawns.

JaseC

Anyone got a coupon to give me so I can see whether it stack or not :)

I have a handful but nothing that applies to a currently-discounted title. When the coupon system was first introduced, they stacked by default; this was changed when in mid-2012 Raptr was offering coupons for 75% off Serious Sam 3 at the same time it was on sale on Steam, which meant, with a little effort, people could buy it for just a few bucks. Later in the year, though, a "Winter Seal" website spat out Steam coupons, some of which did stack with pre-existing discounts, so apparently it's something publishers can, oddly enough, opt into (or perhaps the coupons pre-dated Valve's back-end change).

catabarez

Let's say there are some jeans on clearance for 75% with an additional 50% off for a promotion or whatever. Do you expect them to give you 25% back?

JaseC

I was talking about discounting the game to %100 using that coupon, not to $2.50 by applying it to the current discounted price which is $4.99.
See, that also is not even possible, this is why i think its useless for me.

You said that the game should be free for those who have coupons. Mathematically, though, this isn't true: a -50% coupon applied to a game that's half off simply reduces the discounted price by half.

Chronoja

I have a handful but nothing that applies to a currently-discounted title. When the coupon system was first introduced, they stacked by default; this was changed when in mid-2012 Raptr was offering coupons for 75% off Serious Sam 3 at the same time it was on sale on Steam, which meant, with a little effort, people could buy it for just a few bucks. Later in the year, though, a "Winter Seal" website spat out Steam coupons, some of which did stack with pre-existing discounts, so apparently it's something publisher's can, oddly enough, opt into (or perhaps the coupons pre-dated Valve's back-end change).

Last time Forge was on sale my 75% off Forge coupon stacked with it, left the price at £0.91 I think it was. It might change before the next time it's on sale, evidently discount stacking still exists in some capacity, and I agree it seems to be a publisher dependent strategy. If it works next time I'll probably give it away on the forum, it expires in 2018.

Grief.exe

Wow 2XP from 10 lol

What does it mean by 5 card drops remaining?

Don't Starve has 3, Dota 2 4, Half-Life 2 4, and Counter-Strike 3.

JNf8ziQ.png

Just wait until you get to Engineering! And it is easy to conserve ammo by avoiding most of the spawns.

Oh I should try to avoid them then.

JaseC

I said it before, last time Forge was on sale my 75% off Forge coupon stacked with it, left the price at £0.91 I think it was. It might change before the next time it's on sale, but discount stacking still exists in some capacity. If it works next time I'll probably give it away on the forum, it expires in 2018.

My post did suggest as much. ;) The question isn't, "Does it exist?" so much as it is, "Why does it exist?"

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wow 2XP from 10 lol

What does it mean by 5 card drops remaining?

Don't Starve has 3, Dota 2 4, Half-Life 2 4, and Counter-Strike 3.

JNf8ziQ.png

Oh I should try to avoid them then.

The amount of cards you can get per game is limited to encourage trading or buying the rest to complete your badge. F2P games like Dota 2 and TF2 allow you to replenish 1 card slot for every $9 you spend in game.

Grief.exe

You can idle and get 5 cards from that game. You'll have to trade or buy the rest for a badge/emot/background. Try and see if you can get to level 10 before idling.

The amount of cards you can get per game is limited to encourage trading or buying the rest to complete your badge. F2P games like Dota 2 and TF2 allow you to replenish 1 card slot for every $9 you spend in game.

Thanks for the info guys.

I was hoping that I would log in and get some cards since I've already amassed hundreds of hours in those games.

If I add them up, I have 461 hours across Don't Starve, CS:GO, HL2, TF2, and DOTA2. All of those games are in my top 20 most played.

I should add that I never idle in a game in order to keep those times accurate.

JaseC

Valve should make a trading card game where we use our cards in duels.

Valve is open to the idea, which would be awesome if only for the simple reason that we'd have an in-client game to fill the void left behind by Valve's canning of Steam Chess:

ZNHgz.png

*sheds tear*

Thanks for the info guys.

I was hoping that I would log in and get some cards since I've already amassed hundreds of hours in those games.

If I add them up, I have 461 hours across Don't Starve, CS:GO, HL2, TF2, and DOTA2. All of those games are in my top 20 most played.

I should add that I never idle in a game in order to keep those times accurate.

the Idle is what makes this weird. It would be more useful if they tied the cards to Achievements to get use to actually play our games. I had TF2 running at home for 3 hours this morning and got all my cards. What's the point, other than another level of the Steam Prison economy?

JaseC

I miss the lime green Steam UI

remember this

1315933315_steam_v1.jpg

64668ss6i.gif

Oh, Steam, you broken son of a bitch.

I didn't get broadband (if you can call 512Kb/128Kb "broadband") until late 2004, so playing CS 1.6 was a bloody chore and a half.

KingKong

64668ss6i.gif

Oh, Steam, you broken son of a bitch.

I didn't get broadband (if you can call 512Kb/128Kb "broadband") until late 2004, so playing CS 1.6 was a bloody chore and a half.

I don't think I had broadband until ~2003 so I remember having to download CS 1.1 or whatever and Action Half Life and Firearms over 56k.

I think I still have my HL GOTY box somewhere

JaseC

Not that I know of. It is 1200 Microsoft Space Bucks. I have no idea what that translates to in £, $, € etc.

$15/15 Eurobucks (a little less if the publisher decides to not use the default $1 = 1 Euro conversion)/~10 pounds.

I think I still have my HL GOTY box somewhere

I wish I did; I'd be able to reclaim my OG Steam account. Mind you, since subscription and friend migration isn't possible, it'd be a useless endeavour at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom