• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

I wish I did; I'd be able to reclaim my OG Steam account. Mind you, since subscription and friend migration isn't possible, it'd be a useless endeavour at this point.

On the plus side that means you're not stuck with an old email you don't use any more as your account name like I am

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On the plus side that means you're not stuck with an old email you don't use any more as your account name like I am

My current account name is "nofuckingidea", so it's not a huge win. ;) In my defence, I didn't expect the name to be free and was just frustrated at my desired names being taken. Lesson learned!

cicero

No, its common sense, nothing else.

How do you know that? Duke is %50Off and i have a %50Off coupon, therefore that should give us $0 as the final price for the product.
Its not really that complicated, i hope i don't have to explain this again. :rolleyes:

Your tone is just a little condescending here and unwarranted. No retailer has the obligation to apply stacked coupons to their special promotional deals in the manner in which YOU require, and one that would cause them financial losses because they would be GIVING the product to you while still being required to pay the publisher/dev.

It is common sense to recognize that Valve needs to be profitable, that stacking coupons to make a product free doesn't figure into this, and that Steam has every right to determine how to apply promotional deals and coupons for themselves, regardless of petulant whining by their customer base.

Chronoja

the Idle is what makes this weird. It would be more useful if they tied the cards to Achievements to get use to actually play our games. I had TF2 running at home for 3 hours this morning and got all my cards. What's the point, other than another level of the Steam Prison economy?

Achievements are just as easily exploited. Even if people didn't use achievement unlocking programs they'd jump into achievement maps or servers and "achieve" them that way, or in the case of single player games, share saves to specific unlock points. The problem is neither of these can really be used as a "fool proof" measure for dedication to a game.

I think that is half the reason you can't get them all yourself, the other half being a money scheme and an experiment. They've had to have sat down at one point and discussed how we gauge a persons interest in a game and reward them honestly, and the answer probably is simply "you can't". People will fudge the system if they can and most methods allow it to be done easily.

I also think that this new tf2 update is very strategically planned. It's like you can see them watching the numbers. "O.k, lets see the initial test conditions when we allow a select few into the trading card beta. Ok, lets increase the numbers and watch how this affects trade and rarity perception. Excellent, phase three, lets introduce an update to tf2 mostly focused on keys and let's observe how the 2 trading schemes impact one another"

The only way to get the game for free would be to have infinite coupons (unless you have a 100% off one) and I don't think the inventory holds that many.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's been discusseed before, when a games down it's practically dead in the water with little to no hope of returning to steam in an official capacity sadly, and there's next to nothing we can do about it.

You can use Prey retail keys, from a physical box to redeem on steam btw.
You can also buy a digital copy of Prey from GamesPlanet (UK site and Spanish site; it's cheaper in the latter), and it gives you not one, but TWO Steam keys (for the price of one). That's how I got my copy.

I have only one question: day one yes or no?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I'm not all that interested in MGR or LoS, but its more about what it means for the PC platform.

Its making it look like that both Konami and Platinum are coming to the platform. Meaning we might see things like MGS5, MGS HD collection, and Platinum's future projects. This is what piques my interest.
I'd kill a puppy to make this happen. Metal Gear Solid 2 on Steam, with the ability of taking screenshots and uploading them? Where do I sign?

ShaneB

I made almost 10 dollars selling cards and things I got idling in TF2 text mode. The fact I am more excited about this than the money I made at work today... is very, very depressing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if Resident Evil Revelations is the new Defiance.

Its out in 3 days and it hasn't even unlocked level 3 yet.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222480/
I forgot, what was the thing that happened on Steam that made everyone forget about the progress of the tier unlocks for Defiance?

So I could show everyone the shots of Emma's butt full of tranquilizers. I support this.
I never thought of doing that, damn. Now I need to replay it ASAP.

Not really a MGS2 story spoiler, but I'll hide it anyway so nobody can blame me:
I actually felt really guilty each time she suffered harm, so I then proceeded to kill so as to keep her completely unharmed after reloading the game. Until a certain part, where it was too hard to prevent her from being attacked, so I allowed her to lose 1/6 of her life bar that one time.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I miss the lime green Steam UI

remember this

1315933315_steam_v1.jpg

woah what a throwback

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
No, its common sense, nothing else.

How do you know that? Duke is %50Off and i have a %50Off coupon, therefore that should give us $0 as the final price for the product.
Its not really that complicated, i hope i don't have to explain this again. :rolleyes:

Common sense is that the coupon would only ever get you 50% off the current price of a product. The % discount of the current sale is irrelevant other than determining whether your coupon will apply at all with another promotion.

Caerith

Your tone is just a little condescending here and unwarranted. No retailer has the obligation to apply stacked coupons to their special promotional deals in the manner in which YOU require, and one that would cause them financial losses because they would be GIVING the product to you while still being required to pay the publisher/dev.

It is common sense to recognize that Valve needs to be profitable, that stacking coupons to make a product free doesn't figure into this, and that Steam has every right to determine how to apply promotional deals and coupons for themselves, regardless of petulant whining by their customer base.
I suggest you just ignore the whelp. As he (or she) has already stated, he (or she) is just here to waste everybody's time, because...

I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks about my rant.
Forums are, de dicto and de re, places for conversation. This isn't conversation. This is "I'm going to bitch about everything and ignore other people's feedback except as validation to continue bitching." The very definition of a tantrum.

I'm gonna create a couple of hundred accounts for the next Shogun 2 sale. Coupled with my 75% off coupons, I'll be raking it in. Hats? Trading cards? Pah, the smart guys are into coupons these days.

cicero

I suggest you just ignore the whelp. As he (or she) has already stated, he (or she) is just here to waste everybody's time, because...

Forums are, de dicto and de re, places for conversation. This isn't conversation. This is "I'm going to bitch about everything and ignore other people's feedback except as validation to continue bitching." The very definition of a tantrum.
Good point.

As for a legit complaint about Steam, I continue to be annoyed by the fact that I am never given extra copies of something I already own if I ever rebuy it in a bundle or complete pack again. I really wish they would finally change this.

Caerith

I just like the idea (pointed out earlier in the thread,) that if your coupon and the discount added together are more than 100%, Steam would pay you to 'buy' the game.
Well, a -50% coupon and a -50% sale should combine to a -75% discount, but that's being generous. Coupons are usually for a discount inferior to what a game goes for in a sale, not one equal to it.

On that note, anyone want -33% off GalCiv 2? I played the hell out of it back in the day, so not interested in getting it again, and it was already on sale previously at -75% so this isn't even the best deal.

Grief.exe

I forgot, what was the thing that happened on Steam that made everyone forget about the progress of the tier unlocks for Defiance?

Just the sales of the game were in the bottom 50 on Steam's best sellers and the tier rewards were barely past the first tier.

Then, in the last week, the game got a bunch of hype, commercials, previews, etc and it was the top seller on Steam. All reward tiers completed.

It was our hope of proving that the reward tiers are rigged, then it destroyed those hopes.

$14.99 has now been confirmed.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post.

Burn him at the stake

iby0pTNuq6umP7.jpg

ilpldRVh8lLD.jpg

cicero

Well, a -50% coupon and a -50% sale should combine to a -75% discount, but that's being generous. Coupons are usually for a discount inferior to what a game goes for in a sale, not one equal to it.

On that note, anyone want -33% off GalCiv 2? I played the hell out of it back in the day, so not interested in getting it again, and it was already on sale previously at -75% so this isn't even the best deal.
I bought it again from Steam because it saved me the time I would have lost trying to get my old purchase working again through Impulse.

Chronoja

I'm gonna create a couple of hundred accounts for the next Shogun 2 sale. Coupled with my 75% off coupons, I'll be raking it in. Hats? Trading cards? Pah, the smart guys are into coupons these days.

Just wait until valve reveals coupons for hats...and then Series 1 trading cards of Hat coupons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom