• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So its summer time. What games are you guys playing?

I've got System Shock 2 and Pokemon HeartGold for my commute.
Finished Metal Gear Solid 2 on Wednesday night, and I'm thinking about making a LttP thread for it. I'm also playing Kingdom Hearts 3D, but MGS2 was so good that I haven't touched my 3DS this whole week.

I'll probably start Blood Dragon next.

Oh, and watching the ending of Back to the Future III 10 minutes ago made me want to buy the TellTale game for $5 from GMG. Maybe I'll get that and the Sam & Max bundle from Amazon.

EDIT: what the fuck's wrong with Steam? I'm having a lot of trouble to redeem keys and download the games. The stupid client just sits there, "preparing" the local game cache files, despite them not being big games (I could expect that from Max Payne 3, but not from BttF: The Game).

EDIT 2: great, I restarted Steam to see if it solved the problem, and now it's downloading both TF2 and Dota 2 updates, which are games I NEVER play, instead of the games I just bought and actually care about having installed. This is where I draw the line guys, I'm off to Origin.

EDIT 3: OK, this isn't funny anymore. I launched Blood Dragon and now Uplay is updating too. Why didn't I choose to play some bass instead tonight? :/

So its summer time. What games are you guys playing?

I've got System Shock 2 and Pokemon HeartGold for my commute.

I just wrapped production on a short film that has been the past three months of my life, so I'm finally going to start Bioshock Infinite tonight. Then Assassins Creed 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, more FC3: Blood Dragon, and Dishonored. I've been putting everything off until the film was done, and now just looking at that list, I'm pretty excited!

Video Games guys.

Decado

Ah, same one. I could swear they had a 20% off one last weekend, but I guess that's done.

EDIT: What ever happened to the promised Amalur amazon sale with steam keys? Gamersgate has the price I'm looking for...but it is on Origin, which I'm not a fan of.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, same one. I could swear they had a 20% off one last weekend, but I guess that's done.

You're probably thinking of the 20% discount, valid for the entire year, given to those who didn't have their Bethesda Holiday Pack and Blands 2 four-pack orders entirely backfilled. Well, that or you're getting your wires crossed with GMG. :p

EDIT: What ever happened to the promised Amalur amazon sale with steam keys? Gamersgate has the price I'm looking for...but it is on Origin, which I'm not a fan of.

Tony said the bloke was waiting for Valve to send through keys and then... nothing. A few weeks later the game went on sale on Steam, so perhaps that put a pin in the plan.

Edit: From the horse's mouth:
Cheers said:

Decado

You're probably thinking of the 20% discount, valid for the entire year, given to those who didn't have their Bethesda Holiday Pack and Blands 2 four-pack orders entirely backfilled. Well, that or you're getting your wires crossed with GMG. :p

Tony said the bloke was waiting for Valve to send through keys and then... nothing. A few weeks later the game went on sale on Steam, so perhaps that put a pin in the plan.

Edit: From the horse's mouth:

Thanks for the update! Tempted to bite on gamergate now. Seems like the best deal on EA titles are origin only.

FYC

Banned
Blargh, DOTA2 is stuck at 56% trying to update. Even after resetting steam, pausing / unpausing the download and trying to launch it, won't budge.

Edit: there we go, just left it alone for a while and it zoomed to 100

KarmaCow

GetGames has Sleeping Dogs on sale now for $6.24.

Deciding between this or Amazon's Sleeping Dogs Complete Pack for $13 (that's the price from May 29-31 according to CAG).

Is the DLC worth it?

3 of those pieces DLC are literally just extra exp/money and the rest (with the exception of Nightmare in Northpoint) seem to be mostly cosmetic stuff with some missions. If the Police DLC is anything to go by, the missions are dumb and not worth it.

Even Nightmare in Northpoint looked pretty lame from the Giant Bomb quick look but you could probably get it for cheap separately later.

omg_mjd

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be getting from GetGames then.

Also, been sinking a lot of time into Borderlands 2 and Rage lately. Seems weird to me how BL2 got such high reviews while Rage got panned when the latter plays so much better (as a shooter).

But I have to admit BL2 is addicting despite its flaws. Reminds me of a study I heard about that says humans are prone to consuming junk food even if it tastes bad.

EDIT: Apparently Rage got good reviews too. But a pretty low user rating on Metacritic.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
When did this happen? Batman Arkham City DLC was pulled from the Steam store and the only way to get it is by buying the GOTY edition.

Kinda lame stifling vanilla owners. :|

I believe you can still buy it via the Xbox.com website which is more or less how the Steam version of the DLC functioned anyways.

OK, let me complain.

The mouse acceleration in Binary Domain is making the game near impossible to have fun with.

That's why having a dedicated wired 360 pad is incredibly handy for pc gaming. I highly recommend it as it allows you to sidestep issues such as these.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Blood Dragon is awesome so far. I'm loving the humor, and the game doesn't take itself seriously at all. The monologues of Rex kinda remind me of Duke Nukem.

It's a shame my PC can barely handle the game with everything at min. And I also need to give it a proper cleaning, as it suffers from occasional slowdowns due to what I assume is dust.

Blizzard

Banned
OK, let me complain.

The mouse acceleration in Binary Domain is making the game near impossible to have fun with.
It's unfortunate, but as far as I'm aware it's broken and I don't know of any plans to fix it. I saw some suggestion(s) that it's even reversed in some sense so it doesn't behave like normal mouse acceleration. A controller is the only workaround I know of. :(

Grief.exe

EDIT: Apparently Rage got good reviews too. But a pretty low user rating on Metacritic.

Probably because when Rage first came out it had some huge issues with the PC port.

OK, let me complain.

Mouse Acceleration doesn't just hurt your enjoyment of that title, it also messes up your aim in other games as well. Since it adjusts your muscle memory.

Mouse Acceleration. Not even once.

jediyoshi

I have a total of like 5 minutes in that game. It is unplayable to me since I can't do shooters with a controller.

Third person shooters specifically I usually prefer with a controller. Dealing with cover mechanics on keyboards usually feels way more clumsy than a controller to me. Also nice to get analogue movement every now and then.

Just finished Tomb Raider, and thought it was a decent game. Pretty much a textbook solid 7, in my eyes. The story and themes were a bit heavy handed. :)derp SURVIVE!). Also, I think SE set out to make a game that had nothing but unlikable twats as characters. Seriously. They were all horrible.

Now to uninstall the game and move it to my Completed Games category.

omg_mjd

I have a total of like 5 minutes in that game. It is unplayable to me since I can't do shooters with a controller.

What annoys me about Binary Domain is how the tutorials don't show the 360 controller buttons. But as someone who's used to playing shooters with a controller I find the movement and aiming okay.

Using a controller with shooters is really an acquired taste though if you're coming from M/KB. My first time was with Quake 2 on the PSOne and I remember thinking that it was crap and it would never catch on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Trust me, mouse aiming isn't even one of the worst problems that game has.

That writing, those characters, that dreadfully slow walking scenes... I'm scarred for life, even if the game overall wasn't half bad.

Nabs

Just finished Tomb Raider, and thought it was a decent game. Pretty much a textbook solid 7, in my eyes. The story and themes were a bit heavy handed. :)derp SURVIVE!). Also, I think SE set out to make a game that had nothing but unlikable twats as characters. Seriously. They were all horrible.

Now to uninstall the game and move it to my Completed Games category.

#beatanddelete

What annoys me about Binary Domain is how the tutorials don't show the 360 controller buttons. But as someone who's used to playing shooters with a controller I find the movement and aiming okay.

Using a controller with shooters is really an acquired taste though if you're coming from M/KB. My first time was with Quake 2 on the PSOne and I remember thinking that it was crap and it would never catch on.

Check the game config. I'm pretty sure there's something in there for that.

I normally feel guilty, for some reason, deleting games after I beat them. Like, in case there's some awesome new DLC I want to play. But in TR's case, there isn't. And I don't really care to replay it right away, either.

FloatOn

I'm super drunk right and pretty much hate all video games.

What's even the point?

too much shit to play. not enough time to play etc etc etc

like I have so many legit good games to play and nothing is even holding my attention. halp.

Ceebs

Third person shooters specifically I usually prefer with a controller. Dealing with cover mechanics on keyboards usually feels way more clumsy than a controller to me. Also nice to get analogue movement every now and then.

My problem is trying to aim. I always feel like I am spending 80% of the game fighting with the controller and 20% actually playing the game.

What's even the point?

like I have so many legit good games to play and nothing is even holding my attention. halp.

It happens a lot, just dig in to one until you're enjoying it...

vazel

Banned

What's even the point?

I like reading comics books and old newspaper comic strips.

FloatOn

It happens a lot, just dig in to one until you're enjoying it...

I was on a roll with clearing games from my backlog and then bioshock infinite happened. Such a cool setting and such average gameplay. Now I can't seem to be satisfied in either regard with any game. It sucks.

Caerith

I was on a roll with clearing games from my backlog and then bioshock infinite happened. Such a cool setting and such average gameplay. Now I can't seem to be satisfied in either regard with any game. It sucks.
Sounds like you're experiencing burnout or restlessness or something. Try either a 3DS or taking some time off.

Grief.exe

Just got mark of the ninja from amazon... another game I won't finish! I hate amazon and valve for taking my money.

Its not even a long game, and it is worth playing through

How Long To Beat says it should take around 7 hours. My playthrough was clocked in at 10, but I did some extra stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom