• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS. There has got to be a ton of people that would love to have some indicator on the box of PC games that indicates it's steamworks other than a little "Requires Steam" line of text on the back of the box. I've been toying with the idea of making one just for my physical PC games.

There is a "Steam-Powered" logo that i've seen indies putting on their sites. It's just valve is never going to ask anyone to use it.

AU7RhmJ.png

Smash88

Banned
GZN7J-23K95-3YI6M
H7J93-3ZLET-QKHKM

Anyone who wants that Penny Arcade game. I didn't know what would happen and did it twice. Woopsy.

Also is calling someone a "retard" through a GIF a bannable offense on GAF?

Zia

I think I've asked this before, but does Nights into Dreams have the full analog control of the patched console versions?

Caerith

GZN7J-23K95-3YI6M
H7J93-3ZLET-QKHKM

Anyone who wants that Penny Arcade game. I didn't know what would happen and did it twice. Woopsy.

Also is calling someone a "retard" through a GIF a bannable offense on GAF?
How connected are the games? Do you need to play the first two to "get" the third one?

HoosTrax

I think I've asked this before, but does Nights into Dreams have the full analog control of the patched console versions?
Not sure if this answers your question, but the game supports the 360 right out of the box, including left analog stick.

Shepard

Well, I also have some spares from previous bundles.

Darksiders
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Splice
Dungeon Defenders + DLC

Keys are hidden, just quote to see ;)

Zia

Not sure if this answers your question, but the game supports the 360 right out of the box, including left analog stick.

Well, when released Nights HD had really stiff 8(?)-way movement, and they eventually patched in 24-way movement. It made the game so much more fluid. The PC version came out after the console versions were patched, so I'm having trouble finding out whether or not it launched with the improved controls.

iavi

Well, when released Nights HD had really stiff 8(?)-way movement, and they eventually patched in 24-way movement. It made the game so much more fluid. The PC version came out after the console versions were patched, so I'm having trouble finding out whether or not it launched with the improved controls.

The PC version includes the patch.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I just beat Rochard's DLC pack:

It's currently half off with the main game on Steam, at 1$. It's been a while since I finished Rochard, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. I had some Steam credit and an afternoon to kill so I decided to give this puzzle-focused DLC a whirl.

And damn they were not kidding with the title. If it's been a while since you played the original campaign, jumping into the game again with this pack is like running into a brickwall at full speed. It assumes the player remembers all the tricks to the mechanics from the main game and rediscovering all of those probably accounted for about half of my hour long play time.

As far as the actual puzzles go it was a pretty solid experience across the board. The game demands far more of the player when it came to executing solutions which is something I generally dislike in a puzzle game, but I never hit the point where I put the controller down and walk away. The visuals are clean and present the information relevant to the puzzle pretty clearly. There is no story content (understandable with the cost of voice acting), you just get four clear cut trial rooms with pure puzzle content.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone except people who are working through the game and wouldn't mind a bit more difficult content tacked on as a post game experience. The re-learning curve is too steep to bother with if you put the game down a while ago as I did especially with the amount of actual content to go through.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I really really really want to keep playing Blood Dragon, but even with everything on min it still runs rather bad on my machine. It'd probably be better to wait until I get a new one, whenever that may be.

So... finish Prototype? Start Brütal Legend? Try my (awful) skills at point & click adventures with The Longest Journey? Or maybe replay the first episodes of Sam & Max Season 1? So many games, so little time to play them all.

Caerith

I really really really want to keep playing Blood Dragon, but even with everything on min it still runs rather bad on my machine. It'd probably be better to wait until I get a new one, whenever that may be.

So... finish Prototype? Start Brütal Legend? Try my (awful) skills at point & click adventures with The Longest Journey? Or maybe replay the first episodes of Sam & Max Season 1? So many games, so little time to play them all.
I vote for S&M.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

If you have progress in a game, finishing it should always take top priority.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought Unmechanical. I hate myself.

I vote for S&M.
It's a great game, and I love the sense of humor it has. It's a solid choice, yeah!

If you have progress in a game, finishing it should always take top priority.
Well, strictly speaking I do have progress in S&M, though it's on the Wii version :p
Guess I could try to finish Prototype, and then jump to S&M. And start saving money so I can buy a new rig and play Blood Dragon the way it's meant to be played.

Varg

Banned
Bought RE:R on gmg, sorry gabe ]:

Just noticed they renamed RE6 in the library to not be in all caps. Progress.

Im thinking about getting it from gmg too tonight as its waaaaay cheaper. Heard some horror stories about gmg and delayed codes though. Did you happen to get your code already?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well, strictly speaking I do have progress in S&M, though it's on the Wii version :p
Guess I could try to finish Prototype, and then jump to S&M. And start saving money so I can buy a new rig and play Blood Dragon the way it's meant to be played.
Delete S&M and pretend you never started it. It's a soul-sucking experience at best.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Delete S&M and pretend you never started it. It's a soul-sucking experience at best.
But I liked it :(

Oh well, I still need to finish Borderlands, I may get to that. And afterwards I should attempt a complete run through the Serious Sam franchise, starting with The Second Encounter (I already played TFE). I may ask Glass Rebel for a co-op run through the former
(or were you the one who hated it? My memory is failing)
, and Morningbus for a hand with the latter.

HoosTrax

But I liked it :(

Oh well, I still need to finish Borderlands, I may get to that. And afterwards I should attempt a complete run through the Serious Sam franchise, starting with The Second Encounter (I already played TFE). I may ask Glass Rebel for a co-op run through the former
(or were you the one who hated it? My memory is failing)
, and Morningbus for a hand with the latter.
Feel free to hit me up if you want an additional BL coop partner (level 50ish)

FloatOn

Having spent roughly as much time with Hitman Absolution as I did with LA Noire I had exactly the same reaction.

It's impressive looking and has good ideas but when it comes down to actually playing the thing it's just awful.

I may try Blood Money one day but this left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. It's far too trial and error for it's own good.

I'm going to play Dishonored now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dishonored is best enjoyed as an action game rather than a stealth game. The stealth mechanics are disappointingly rudimentary; all the creativity lies within the combat.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Dishonored is best enjoyed as an action game rather than a stealth game. The stealth mechanics are disappointingly rudimentary; all the creativity lies within the combat.
There's a lot of creativity and fun to be had with an action playthrough, but it reduces the game to an easy murder sandbox

Having spent roughly as much time with Hitman Absolution as I did with LA Noire I had exactly the same reaction.

It's impressive looking and has good ideas but when it comes down to actually playing the thing it's just awful.

I may try Blood Money one day but this left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. It's far too trial and error for it's own good.

I'm going to play Dishonored now.
Most stealth games (to not talk in absolutes here), even the best of the best, are based in a "trial an error" aproach from the player.

But this is what i find weird. So, IO designers take some decisions to make the game less trial and error to gamers (hence Instinct mechanic) yet anyways they get slammed. To top it off, that's a complete optional mechanic for the game XD

The problem with the game is not so much related to say... IO selling themselves or something similar to what happened to Splinter Cell. As i see it, is just that the level/mission design is so inconsistent, you get 1 or 2 interesting levels others are hit or miss. Plus the scale is reduced, but imagine if people nowadays complain about trial and error, what about a level like Shogun Showdown which was massive. Something like it will create a wave of suicides around the world.

But the traditional Hitman gameplay is there, for example, the other day i spend close to 5 or 6 hours figuring out how to ghost play the Orphanage Hallway. Takes a lot of patience, like the old games.

Caerith

I couldn't disagree more, but I think this is one of those "arguing matters of taste" things.

Most stealth games (to not talk in absolutes here), even the best of the best, are based in a "trial an error" aproach from the player.

But this is what i find weird. So, IO designers take some decisions to make the game less trial and error to gamers (hence Instinct mechanic) yet anyways they get slammed. To top it off, that's a complete optional mechanic for the game XD
Absolution's "instinct" got slammed while Mark of the Ninja's UI got praised. If Absolution wasn't a Hitman game, nobody would have bitched about instinct, for franchises are holy properties not to be tampered with lest they be ruined forever.

Megasoum

Banned
So is there actually anything to do with the cards? I see that I could sell for like 1$ each my Don't Starve cards but other than that?

Joe Molotov

So is there actually anything to do with the cards? I see that I could sell for like 1$ each my Don't Starve cards but other than that?

They're only good for epeen growth. The cards are actually worth more than the emoticons and backgrounds you get for making badges now. Unless you want XP, just sell the cards.

If you have the set, you can craft a badge and get 100 exp. There is a chance to get discount coupons, emoticons and background themes too.

And yet when I told you the exact same thing while you were playing the game, you ignored me and went for a full stealth playthrough anyway :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom