• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Doing a low chaos + Ghost + Clear Hands run in Dishonored atm and it gets so hilariously easy after you know every inch of all areas and how enemies behave. The
Sokolov chimney trick/shortcut
that lets you skip
his entire house
is sweet.

Should be going for the Mostly Flesh and Steel achievement in this run too because maxed Blink is really all I need, but it was too late when I thought of it. Dark Vision does help in making the playthrough speedier though.

Megasoum

Banned
I love how the steam market is basically free instant money lol...

Since I wrote my last message I already sold my three Don't Starve cards for 1.20$ each lol.

There's now a "Permanently delete gift..." button for DOTA 2 invites on the inventory page, probably ancient news by now but I thought it was funny. Coincided with me getting 4 new invites :p.

I love how the steam market is basically free instant money lol...

Since I wrote my last message I already sold my three Don't Starve cards for 1.20$ each lol.

For all we like to joke about buying games we will never play...remember there are people out there buying those cards to see their little level thing go up.

There's now a "Permanently delete gift..." button for DOTA 2 invites on the inventory page, probably ancient news by now but I thought it was funny. Coincided with me getting 4 new invites :p.

I've never received a single invite. I kind of take it personally every time I hear about it :(

I've never received a single invite. I kind of take it personally every time I hear about it :(

Oh sorry. On another note I am tempted to start farming these cards now, I thought I could hold out but at a $1 ish a pop I could fund some serious game purchases if I farmed hard enough.

Edit: Nvm now I understand, you only get a limited amount of drops per game, so you can't farm them...

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Which reminds me: I need to play the DLC.

On the flipside, a stealth playthrough is simply an exercise in "save scumming".

It was really a challenge? I played a no kill/ghost/only blink I (not to artificially make it difficult, but because the power is quite sufficient) and I only saved scummed maybe 3-5 times for the entire campaign. It's mechanics is a very well designed arcade system so finding out and pushing the limits of the system is quite satisfying in itself.

On the flip side, I'm currently going through a high chaos run with all powers, and the game is way too easy. There is a write up I'm thinking of doing about the issues with power/weapon design in games like this and MGS4, but that is probably better suited for a different thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RE:R has unlocked in the US? Still 35 hours to go here.

rertiersy3kfe.jpg

The second tier is at 96% so it's entirely possible that you North American folks will find yourselves with a post-release reward in the form of Lost Planet.

MNC

Sold my glados foil for 13 bucks which at the time was the slmost highest. I guess it's a fair price but i cant shake tge feeling i could've goottwn more.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Sold my glados foil for 13 bucks which at the time was the slmost highest. I guess it's a fair price but i cant shake tge feeling i could've goottwn more.
Perhaps you'll be able to buy a dictionary with that money :p

I'll get it up in the next few days. I've just been really busy lately.
So are you really Gabe? Let me see... Morningbus has 3 vowels... three...

Oh shit, Half-Life 3 is actually coming!

jediyoshi

First impressions: RE Revelations is making me a little sleepy. It doesn't hit the low points of RE6, but that's almost just by virtue of it not doing anything crazy. Super straight forward so far, even with the scanning mechanic.

Grief.exe

First impressions: RE Revelations is making me a little sleepy. It doesn't hit the low points of RE6, but that's almost just by virtue of it not doing anything crazy. Super straight forward so far, even with the scanning mechanic.

Did you get the reward tiers?

Is Lost Planet in your library?

Is the Season Pass attached to your game?

Grief.exe

Steam's reward tiers are for Steam pre-orders exclusively, and Lost Planet hasn't unlocked yet (it just went up a percent to 97%).

I know, I was just checking to see if they had automatically unlocked when the game unlocked.

That would be the proof we needed.

But it was from GMG so its completely moot.

Now I'm going to bed, night guys. Afternoon, Jase.

catabarez

Well I have Dirt 2, Dirt 3, F1 2011, and Bulletstorm as well, but I don't feel I put enough time into them to warrant a mention.

No problems with those games either by the way.

I used to be one of the privileged few that had no troubles with GFWL. Then Arkham City took my save and it was all downhill from there. It takes several minutes for GFWL to even load up when I want to play something.

JaseC

I know, I was just checking to see if they had automatically unlocked when the game unlocked.

That would be the proof we needed.

Ah. Who knows, maybe the 103% the bar currently lacks will appear over the next 33 hours. ;)

Edit: It's further away still in the UK:
Available: 24 May 2013

This game will unlock in approximately 2 days and 17 hours

----------

Now I'm going to bed, night guys. Afternoon, Jase.

*tips hat*

dreamfall

I caved and went GMG on Revelaitons. I dont know if it was worth double dipping, but for Raid mode I couldn't say no! Insomniac Steam Unite!

Deques

Steamdoku.

Used Google Translate to see what it should be.
(Note: I am not expert in the Japanese language)

Tsunsteam would be the "correct" word

Tsun means piled according to Google Translate. Someone help me >.<

Edit: Someone did already help me

1-D_FTW

Edit: Nvm now I understand, you only get a limited amount of drops per game, so you can't farm them...

Which is the only reason they're still worth anything. That and requiring you need another half a deck to craft. They not only limited supply, but found a devious way to also create demand.

JaseC

Lost Planet has unlocked for all you Steam RE:R pre-ordererererers. Presumably it'll be backfilled circa the general store update in roughly 5.5 hours.

FloatOn

Most stealth games (to not talk in absolutes here), even the best of the best, are based in a "trial an error" aproach from the player.

But this is what i find weird. So, IO designers take some decisions to make the game less trial and error to gamers (hence Instinct mechanic) yet anyways they get slammed. To top it off, that's a complete optional mechanic for the game XD

The problem with the game is not so much related to say... IO selling themselves or something similar to what happened to Splinter Cell. As i see it, is just that the level/mission design is so inconsistent, you get 1 or 2 interesting levels others are hit or miss. Plus the scale is reduced, but imagine if people nowadays complain about trial and error, what about a level like Shogun Showdown which was massive. Something like it will create a wave of suicides around the world.

But the traditional Hitman gameplay is there, for example, the other day i spend close to 5 or 6 hours figuring out how to ghost play the Orphanage Hallway. Takes a lot of patience, like the old games.

I can't comment on the other Hitman games because I haven't played them but I will say that the actual enemy intelligence in this one seems wildly inconsistent (perhaps this is to encourage the use of Instinct?). One minute they completely ignore you while the next they can spot you from from around corners. This is made even worse by the crammed and far too busy level design.

By "too busy" I mean almost Assassins Creed level of civilian characters running around, which could potentially hurt your score. Then there is the JJ Abrams/Battlefield 3 flashlight level of lens flare that burns my eyes at random intervals. Which is a real shame because when that isn't going on the game is really impressive visually.

This, like LA Noire is good on paper but actually playing it is an exercise in frustration. Perhaps they attempted to do too much here?

Absolution's "instinct" got slammed while Mark of the Ninja's UI got praised. If Absolution wasn't a Hitman game, nobody would have bitched about instinct, for franchises are holy properties not to be tampered with lest they be ruined forever.

Mark of the Ninja is one of my favorite games from recent memory. That game works because the enemy intelligence is not so much predictable as it is consistent. It introduces each enemy type that is governed by a set of rules but at the same time are intelligent. Also, the fact that the game instantly loads when you restart is a huge plus for a stealth game because honestly, who wants to sit around and wait 1.5 minutes while these 3d environments load?

And I agree, stealth games are partially trial and error but the rules and environment need to be clear for it to work. This sadly didn't seem to be the case for me and my time spent with Hitman.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I was going to make a Lovely Bones joke, but I've decided we're all better off if I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom