• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm just gonna stay in this thread until E3, Gaf is fucking ridiculous right now and this is the only thread with sane people (minus the Steam OCD)

Sound advice. But hey, we have all been there at one stage or another. I loved my sega master system and know now it is all part of the process.

Blizzard

Banned
Just Cause 2 is still so damn amazing. My favorite open-world game this generation. I can just fly around the world and entertain myself. Can't wait to see what they have cooking.
Search up the occasional fan multiplayer beta. There are fans working on a multiplayer mod and as far as I know it keeps getting better, though some people may have been disappointed by a lack of hijacking (I think it was eliminated?).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
MZicKoe.jpg

It uses dosbox. There's an option to load classic or the original. Dunno the differences

Just Cause 2 is still so damn amazing. My favorite open-world game this generation. I can just fly around the world and entertain myself. Can't wait to see what they have cooking.

Get the BOLOpatch and then have fun with multiple unbreakable tethers. Nothing like tethering 5 enemies to a truck and tethering that truck to a jet and taking off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It uses dosbox. There's an option to load classic or the original. Dunno the differences

Someone suggested that one of the options will be a Sourceport along the lines of Duke 3d's. It would make sense that that version isn't quite ready yet so just the Dosbox version is available.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's a pretty high bar to meet given my System Shock 2 experience! I'm looking forward to trying it, but I don't want to overhype anything.
I know that it may sound like hyperbole, but I'm being completely honest. I played it for the first time earlier this year, and when I finished it after 40 hours of one of the best experiences I ever had with any game, it immediately became one of my favorite games ever.

There's nothing I didn't like about it, though I admit the gunplay isn't too good. The soundtrack is top notch, not a single bad track in it. The story is interesting, and the characters, while not too deep, are entertaining. I loved the gameplay, exploring the different areas and interacting with the environment, finding new ways to progress and choosing how I wanted to play.

sibarraz

Banned
Now that I know the existence of humble bundle, I'm sad to not had picked the red orchestra sale, I'm curious for that game since I really has a weird fascination for stalingrad battle

What makes this series different than other FPS?

Exeunt

I know that it may sound like hyperbole, but I'm being completely honest. I played it for the first time earlier this year, and when I finished it after 40 hours of one of the best experiences I ever had with any game, it immediately became one of my favorite games ever.

There's nothing I didn't like about it, though I admit the gunplay isn't too good. The soundtrack is top notch, not a single bad track in it. The story is interesting, and the characters, while not too deep, are entertaining. I loved the gameplay, exploring the different areas and interacting with the environment, finding new ways to progress and choosing how I wanted to play.

I think Deus Ex sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm hoping to get it in the summer sale while hopefully picking up Morrowind in the meantime. The small install should be a huge plus as well.

I'm not too concerned about the gunplay being bad. The melee at the beginning of System Shock 2 isn't exactly what I'd call great, but I can deal with things like that to get to the good stuff. It's more of a shooter-rpg anyway, right? I'm not the best at shooting anyway. I figure I can't go wrong getting it for $2 or whatever it ends up going for, really!

Grief.exe

Massive Deus Ex endorsement.

I think I will enjoy the game as well, given as how I am thoroughly enjoying System Shock 2. A similar game from the same era of game design.

I think Deus Ex sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm hoping to get it in the summer sale while hopefully picking up Morrowind in the meantime. The small install should be a huge plus as well.

I'm not too concerned about the gunplay being bad. The melee at the beginning of System Shock 2 isn't exactly what I'd call great, but I can deal with things like that to get to the good stuff. It's more of a shooter-rpg anyway, right? I'm not the best at shooting anyway. I figure I can't go wrong getting it for $2 or whatever it ends up going for, really!

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time.

Add me on Steam.

Best Modding guide: http://www.somethingfornobody.com/blog/morrowind-modding-guide/

Exeunt

I think I will enjoy the game as well, given as how I am thoroughly enjoying System Shock 2. A similar game from the same era of game design.

Yeah, System Shock 2 is what put Deus Ex properly on my radar, really. The Human Revolution Director's Cut piqued my interest, but now that I'm getting into Steam there isn't much point in a late, expensive Wii U port. System Shock 2 makes me think the original should be really interesting, given what I've seen and read.

Morrowind is one of my favorite games of all time.

Add me on Steam.

Best Modding guide: http://www.somethingfornobody.com/blog/morrowind-modding-guide/

Oh damn. That looks pretty... I'd be worried about the performance hit though. I'm running on a Retina MacBook Pro, so I don't know whether I'd be able to hit full resolution with those graphics... Decisions, decisions. I also don't have Morrowind yet, but I'll look into this.

Yeah, System Shock 2 is what put Deus Ex properly on my radar, really. The Human Revolution Director's Cut piqued my interest, but now that I'm getting into Steam there isn't much point in a late, expensive Wii U port. System Shock 2 makes me think the original should be really interesting, given what I've seen and read.

You mean the original system shock? Yeah it is well worth a go, just make sure to mod with mouse look etc.

As for Deus Ex? It is amazing and about a bajillion times better than the more recent effort. It'll start slow, but stick with it. There is a moment early involving a bathroom that blew my mind at the time and made me know I was in for a great game. You'll know when (if) it happens.

Exeunt

You mean the original system shock? Yeah it is well worth a go, just make sure to mod with mouse look etc.

As for Deus Ex? It is amazing and about a bajillion times better than the more recent effort. It'll start slow, but stick with it. There is a moment early involving a bathroom that blew my mind at the time and made me know I was in for a great game. You'll know when (if) it happens.

Oh, I was referring to Deus Ex in relation to Human Revolution when I said "the original," not System Shock 1. I thought that wasn't even available digitally. I actually spoiled the plot for myself so that I would understand System Shock 2 better going in ("Remember Citadel," etc).

Thanks for all the Deus Ex recommendations, guys! I'm glad to hear that the game does seem to hold up well. I look forward to trying it for myself!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Search up the occasional fan multiplayer beta. There are fans working on a multiplayer mod and as far as I know it keeps getting better, though some people may have been disappointed by a lack of hijacking (I think it was eliminated?).

Yeah, I participated in the BETA last year when it first launched and a few times after that. So much fun.

I haven't played it since they made a lot of changes. Some of the stuff was annoying but it made it strangely fun. I remember everyone would spawn at the same town and you would race to the airport where there were a bunch of vehicles and the airport was a warzone because everyone was there. If you were lucky enough to get an airplane off the ground it was a really cool experience.

Grief.exe

Goddamn, when is Atlus going to announce KOF XIII already?

Did you see my post from earlier?

Just waiting on them I guess. Probably E3 is our next bet at this point.

Hopefully Halo Trilogy is announced then as well. I can't wait to be in that thread...assuming GAF can survive E3.
It won't

Oh, I was referring to Deus Ex in relation to Human Revolution when I said "the original," not System Shock 1. I thought that wasn't even available digitally. I actually spoiled the plot for myself so that I would understand System Shock 2 better going in ("Remember Citadel," etc).

Thanks for all the Deus Ex recommendations, guys! I'm glad to hear that the game does seem to hold up well. I look forward to trying it for myself!

Playing System Shock 2 pretty much spoils the plot from the first one.

At one point it explains how Shodan got to Tau Ceti V. Her station was destroyed and she brought her creation with her.

What makes it more interesting is listening to the audio logs of finding Shodan, and slowly changing, etc.

Well all this talk of Deus Ex made me install it. Going in for the first time actually. I loved Human Revolution and if everyone is saying the original is better I have to finally play it.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, I'm only in the first mission or so of Call of Juarez Gunslinger, but I am REALLY enjoying it. Happiest I've been about a $15 game purchase in a while. Basic user interface stuff like the mouse wheel works, the menus are responsive, and the game seems to run great on max settings on my old e8400 + 5850.

I think I saw someone mention that there is not an option to change FOV, and I don't know if there is even a config file way to change it. I don't think it's bothered me so far.

The graphics actually look quite nice to me, though I noticed one low budget touch already, people don't move their mouths when they talk. The voiceover work is good, the music is awesome (I think I even noticed a Morricone-esque rift in the current background music), and the shooting is really satisfying.

I imagine it might grow old eventually, and it thus far does seem to have a good bit of shooting gallery style, but if so it's a shooting gallery you can run around in and it's pretty doggone fun.

Exeunt

Playing System Shock 2 pretty much spoils the plot from the first one.

At one point it explains how Shodan got to Tau Ceti V. Her station was destroyed and she brought her creation with her.

What makes it more interesting is listening to the audio logs of finding Shodan, and slowly changing, etc.

Yes, I remember that part. But there's also the added depth in the audio logs of the second game whenever they mention
the son of Diego
, so I'm sure there are some nuggets in the original. In any case, lack of a digital release means I won't be playing that one—at least not any time soon.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Yes, it has RPG elements, like upgrades, skills and enhancements (they are called augmentations in-game). You can play it as a shooter, melee fighting or stealth game, whichever you prefer. You can also mix them up, plus combining your skills with the different augmentations makes for a lot of possibilities and variety.

I seriously hope so, it's a game that everyone should play. I didn't think too well about Warren Spector after the disaster that was Epic Mickey, but Deus Ex blew my fucking mind so hard I'm still picking up the pieces.

And this reminds me that I should play SS2. I bought the Steam version already, so there's no excuse not to.

Are you talking about
the part where you enter the ladies' bathroom, and then a coworker starts talking shit about you, calling you a perv and then your boss reprimands you?
'Cause that was amazing. And to me the beginning was perfect, as was the rest of the game. It totally nailed the mood the game was aiming for.

I seriously hope so, it's a game that everyone should play. I didn't think too well about Warren Spector after the disaster that was Epic Mickey, but Deus Ex blew my fucking mind so hard I'm still picking up the pieces.

And this reminds me that I should play SS2. I bought the Steam version already, so there's no excuse not to.

Yeah Warren Spector could release shit games till the end of time...it doesn't matter. He has more than done enough.

I mean god damn at his history.

Are you talking about ...

Yep that is the one. It is totally a mind blowing "hang on, the game is paying attention to shit like that, what else have I done?" moment. The amount of immersion gained from such a small gesture was huge.

Sigh...those were the days.

Exeunt

Yes, it has RPG elements, like upgrades, skills and enhancements (they are called augmentations in-game). You can play it as a shooter, melee fighting or stealth game, whichever you prefer. You can also mix them up, plus combining your skills with the different augmentations makes for a lot of possibilities and variety.

Ah, good! That's what I gathered. I'd probably head for the stealth/shooter route. Again, sounds like System Shock 2 in how you can customize your character and play accordingly—though in Deus Ex, I gather this has an even greater emphasis.

Join us...

sibarraz

Banned
Nobody will answer my question about red orchestra? :(

by the way, if KOF XIII is released on steam, I doubt that atlus will be the publlisher, SNKP has the tools to do that labour in digital, they already did in XBLA

Grief.exe

Level Swimming

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ah, good! That's what I gathered. I'd probably head for the stealth/shooter route. Again, sounds like System Shock 2 in how you can customize your character and play accordingly—though in Deus Ex, I gather this has an even greater emphasis.

Join us...
Too scared man, too scared. And this is coming from a guy who played through the infamous ladder scene in F.E.A.R. and lived to tell the tale :p

Level Swimming
What does this mean?

Smash88

Banned
Now that I know the existence of humble bundle, I'm sad to not had picked the red orchestra sale, I'm curious for that game since I really has a weird fascination for stalingrad battle

What makes this series different than other FPS?

It's realistic, no crosshair, aim down the sights. Harder than regular shooters, and there are a lot of serious people (as in they play very slowly and methodical - no run and gun). The first Red Orchestra is almost a ghost town, you may find a few servers with real people (rather than bots) but they are far and few between. Red Orchestra 2 is better, but I feel a lot of them will migrate to Rising Storm. I love RO - RO2 released and was a shit show (broken and unplayable), they patched it up since then. If you like WW2 shooters with realism, then this is your game.

Don't think ARMA realism, but it's fairly "realistic" when comparing it to Call of Duty or some other arcade type shooter. To put it simply, if you run and gun you will die easily. One bullet can kill you.

Nobody will answer my question about red orchestra? :(

by the way, if KOF XIII is released on steam, I doubt that atlus will be the publlisher, SNKP has the tools to do that labour in digital, they already did in XBLA

Answered.

Quick question, I was looking for Alan Wake sweetfx presets and they are all .txt files. How do I add SweetFX to the game? I was looking at the natural color one. Is SweetFX worth it in this game?

I think I got it, but will check back in case I still need help.

Exeunt

Too scared man, too scared. And this is coming from a guy who played through the infamous ladder scene in F.E.A.R. and lived to tell the tale :p

I'm a horrible fraidy cat. I think I have maybe twice Grief.exe's playtime so far and I'm not even as far; it takes me forever to wander through basically every level because almost every enemy fills me with dread. But I'm loving it, and it's probably one of the best games I've ever played.

Ladder? I played it a few months ago and don't remember that...

FEAR's also on my radar, but more in the backlog fodder category. Is it more of a jump-scare oriented experience? I'm not as fond of those... Hear the shotgun's beastly though.

FEAR's also on my radar, but more in the backlog fodder category. Is it more of a jump-scare experience? I'm not as fond of those... Hear the shotgun's beastly though.

Not really, just has some good ones in amongst the shooting action.

Now Cry of Fear on the other hand....

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, this. I almost crapped my pants the first time I saw this.

And if I'm not mistaken, this was the part where a couple of friends stopped playing the game. They said it was too much for them (they also thought it was pretty long and got boring, something I'll never understand; if anything, it was too short: my first playthrough lasted me only 3 days!)

I'm a horrible fraidy cat. I think I have maybe twice Grief.exe's playtime so far and I'm not even as far; it takes me forever to wander through basically every level because almost every enemy fills me with dread. But I'm loving it, and it's probably one of the best games I've ever played.

FEAR's also on my radar, but more in the backlog fodder category. Is it more of a jump-scare oriented experience? I'm not as fond of those... Hear the shotgun's beastly though.
If it's not the typical "zombies jumping in your face with a loud scream" bullshit, then it sounds great. Think I'll play that game after going through Brütal Legend (a friend insisted that I play it, so I think I should; I also watched the Tenacious D movie last weekend, so I could do with some more Jack Black goodness).

F.E.A.R. is in my top 3 list of the best games ever made, so it's THAT good. It's not a jump scare experience, but it has a few (I think 2 or 3, not many more) moments of that. If you have a spare piece of underwear at hand for the ladder part I mentioned earlier (don't spoil yourself watching Toddhunter's video, it's worth experiencing it out of the blue), I think you won't have any problems going through it. The shotgun is a beast, but I'm partial to the HV Penetrator: nothing beats nailing those bastards to a wall while in slow mo.

Exeunt

I was pretty interested in Cry of Fear until I finally read how jump-happy it and Afraid of Monsters are. I'm not a big fan of scripted jump scares; I'm too easily startled by that sort of thing.

Grief.exe

Nah, I went vanilla and had the time of my life. Though to be honest, that's what I do with every first playthrough of a new game, unless it HAS to be modded (case in point: Dark Souls).

I only install cosmetic mods and I actually think its a requirement for these older games. As long as the mod is tasteful, and follows the original design than you should add it in.

Updating these games to a modern visual standard only adds to the immersion.

Quick question, I was looking for Alan Wake sweetfx presets and they are all .txt files. How do I add SweetFX to the game? I was looking at the natural color one. Is SweetFX worth it in this game?

I think I got it, but will check back in case I still need help.

What you are looking at is the config file.

Install SweetFX to the root folder of your game, and copy/paste the text files into your SweetFX config file.

I love me some SweetFX

I'm usually pretty bad with scary games as well.

Either something has changed or I'm just not as affected by this game.

I have really taken my time to explore every room and really drink in the atmosphere in System Shock 2. But I got to say I haven't really been scared.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Is that the Half-Life mod that got added on Steam not too long ago? I should check that one.

I only install cosmetic mods and I actually think its a requirement for these older games. As long as the mod is tasteful, and follows the original design than you should add it in.

Updating these games to a modern visual standard only adds to the immersion.
But I thought it looked nice with the default graphics :/

And what's Metroid Prime doing in the Steam thread? Don't tell me Corruption is coming to Gabenland, or I'll piss my pants right here right now.

please tell me Corruption is coming to Gabenland, it's a masterpiece

Exeunt

I'm usually pretty bad with scary games as well.

Either something has changed or I'm just not as affected by this game.

I have really taken my time to explore every room and really drink in the atmosphere in System Shock 2 as well.

I was scared by Resident Evil 4 when I played it a year ago; you know, the (first) Resident Evil that a large chunk of players said wasn't scary? Those chainsaws... Lots of moments in the Metroid Prime games and ZombiU were scary as well, but that's pretty much my history of scary things in games.

System Shock 2 isn't really scary in the same way. It is more "what was that noise fuck this shit I'm out of here run" rather than things jumping out at you. Except for the things that jump out at you of course.

The scripted jump scares in System Shock 2 annoy me a little, especially since 99% of the time you would've heard the enemies coming if they were on their way. But those are few and far between; I make myself jump enough during regular gameplay. And I remember the sounds for (spoilers up to deck four)
the cyborg midwives and to a lesser extent, the cyborg assassins
really sounded like bad news the first time I heard them.

Grief.exe

I didn't know there were any scripted jump scares in System Shock 2.

I guess other than the red cyborg assassins that drop the keys, but those aren't jump scares.

Deques

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is number 1 best seller. Is there anyone here who have bought it? Any impressions on it?

Edit: Looked for some info a bit myself. Seems like there is no new game+. And there seems to be lack of endgame content

Exeunt

I didn't know there were any scripted jump scares in System Shock 2.

I guess other than the red cyborg assassins that drop the keys, but those aren't jump scares.

There are a couple. Here's one off the top of my head: when you are in Hydroponics,
there is a room that contains one of the Toxin-A vials that you need, at the end of a long hallway. Once you cross a certain point of the room (near the desk with the vial), a cyborg midwife shrieks and comes running into the room from the hallway you just came through.
Like I said though, there aren't many scripted ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom