• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know there were any scripted jump scares in System Shock 2.

I guess other than the red cyborg assassins that drop the keys, but those aren't jump scares.

Well there are
The "ghosts" which always get me good. The first one in particular is still probably the best scare I have ever got from a game, because I'd never seen anything like that before. And there are a few other places like when you enter a room and a panel explodes.

Not too many of course, and because of that they are super effective.

Grief.exe

Well there are
The "ghosts" which always get me good. The first one in particular is still probably the best scare I have ever got from a game, because I'd never seen anything like that before. And there are a few other places like when you enter a room and a panel explodes.

Not too many of course, and because of that they are super effective.

Good point I can see how those can be perceived as jump scares.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Existing:

[Gamersgate] - use code elder-geek.com for an additional 5% off

-------

[Gamestop]
  • Dead Island GOTY - $4.99 (NA)
  • Metro 2033 - $4.99 (NA)
  • Risen 2 Complete Pack - $18.24 (NA)
    • Risen 2: Dark Waters
    • Risen 2: Dark Waters - A Pirate's Clothes DLC
    • Risen 2: Dark Waters - The Air Temple DLC
    • Risen 2: Dark Waters - Treasure Isle DLC
[GMG] - use code GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ for an additional 20% discount
[Shiny Loot] - they've been posting deals on Reddit for a while, so must be legit

-------------

Older but still valid:

[Gamestop]
[GMG] - use code GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ for an additional 20% discount
[Bundle Stars]

• Outlaws Bundle - $0.97
    • P.A.M.
    • Pacific Storm
    • RIP Trilogy
    • Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood
  • Stellar Bundle - $0.98
    • Alien Hallway
    • Alien Shooter Revisited
    • Zombie Shooter
    • Zombie Shooter 2
  • Indie Jam - $6.32
    • Dead Horde
    • Future Wars
    • Greed: Black Border
    • Grotesque Tactics
    • Grotesque Tactics 2
    • Stellar Impact
    • Trapped Dead
    • Trauma
    • Twin Sector
    • Unstoppable Gorg
  • Indie Jam 2 - $4.97
    • Ion Assault
    • Iron Grip: Warlord
    • Nuclear Dawn
    • Planets Under Attack
    • Shattered Horizon
    • Two Worlds II
    • Two Worlds II: Castle Defense DLC
    • X-Blades
[Groupees]
  • Be Mine 8 - $1.00
    • Fairy Bloom Freesia
    • Patrician IV: Steam Special Edition
    • Patrician IV: Rise of a Dynasty DLC
    • Slam Bolt Scrappers
    • Karateka
  • Be Mine 8 - $5.00+
    • Blood Bowl Legendary Edition
    • Drakensang
    • Blades of Time Limited Edition
[Indie Gala Store]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the CS:S SteamPipe update seems to have broken EventScripts/GunGame. Anybody know of a fix/workaround? I tried installing the April ES update that supposedly addressed the issues caused by SteamPipe, however the game still crashes to the desktop after the introductory Valve logo. I'm certain it's an ES/GG issue as the game loads just fine if insecure mode is disabled.

Edit: After some dicking around, I got it to work. Hooray!

Deques

A new game music bundle is starting very soon
It has started

Level 1 - $1
  • 7/11: 7th Guest and 11th Hour Original Soundtrack
  • Duke Nukem 3D: Original Soundtrack
  • Myst : The Soundtrack
  • Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2
  • Tyrian

Level 2 - $10
  • NUKEM: Duke 3D Remixes
  • Shadow Warrior: Original Soundtrack
  • Duke Nukem II: Original Soundtrack
  • Wacky Wheels: Original Soundtrack
  • Major Stryker: Original Soundtrack
  • Stargunner: Original Soundtrack
  • Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure: Original Soundtrack
  • Jazz Jackrabbit 3
  • Double Dragon Neon
  • Alter Ego Dreamwalker OST
  • Edge
  • Magnetis - Original Game Soundtrack
  • Lava Blade

http://www.gamemusicbundle.com/

allansm

It seems that Activision is now "taxing" games on the Brazilian Steam Store: Fast & Furious is being sold for $80(!) (R$160) and Deadpool for $90(!) (R$180). I guess their intention is to equal the price of their pc games with that of the consoles, however who came up with this idea has no knowledge of the Brazilian market. For as long as I can remember, PC games were always sold for a reasonable price here, R$99 at most, which is roughly equal to $50, it's only console games that are crazy expensive.

It seems that Activision is now "taxing" games on the Brazilian Steam Store: Fast & Furious is being sold for $80(!) (R$160) and Deadpool for $90(!) (R$180). I guess their intention is to equal the price of their pc games with that of the consoles, however who came up with this idea has no knowledge of the Brazilian market. For as long as I can remember, PC games were always sold for a reasonable price here, R$99 at most, which is roughly equal to $50, it's only console games that are crazy expensive.
I bet that will discourage piracy.

Ugh so tempted to pickup steam copies of sins of a solar empire and gal civ. There's some good deals on them, but I've bought so much recently I'm getting into guilt territory.

I picked up the crusader kings pack off of amazon, have no idea what I'm getting into, the closest I've gotten to grand strategy is civ 4 (i.e. Not even in the same ballpark). Should be fun to jump in tomorrow and see if I sink or swim.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the DRM situation on the two Batman games? Both nominally use GFWL and Arkham City apparently also uses SecuROM, but I thought I read that they had been patched out and Steamworks added and both have Steamworks achievements listed?

Addnan

What's the DRM situation on the two Batman games? Both nominally use GFWL and Arkham City apparently also uses SecuROM, but I thought I read that they had been patched out and Steamworks added and both have Steamworks achievements listed?
They have steam achievements, but still have gfwl and securom. Maybe one day they will patch it out :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The drm being patched put is just hope for the future based off the first game recently adding Steam achievements (not functional yet). Both still have securom with 5 or is it 15 activations that reset automatically each month if I remember correctly.

sulc84

Banned
The drm being patched put is just hope for the future based off the first game recently adding Steam achievements (not functional yet). Both still have securom with 5 or is it 15 activations that reset automatically each month if I remember correctly.

Is it also for arkham city GOTY ?

Is it also for arkham city GOTY ?

No one knows, Arkham City's DRM is a mess. There were some people on the old Steam forums (and the WB ones) that were locked out of their games for installing it too many times on too many different machines (and with SecuROM recognizing a GPU upgrade as a "new PC", things are even hazier. Their answer was basically, "deal with it".

This is the only reason I haven't bought AC yet.

sulc84

Banned
No one knows, Arkham City's DRM is a mess. There were some people on the old Steam forums (and the WB ones) that were locked out of their games for installing it too many times on too many different machines (and with SecuROM recognizing a GPU upgrade as a "new PC", things are even hazier. Their answer was basically, "deal with it".

This is the only reason I haven't bought AC yet.

I notice one file locked in registry ,and unlocked with some reg pro ,but file is unreadable :)

What's so bad about securom?

I'm curious, don't know why this DRM is more hated than the others

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

SecuROM limits the number of PCs activated at the same time from the same key. SecuROM 7.x was the first version to include the SecuROM Removal Tool, which is intended to help users remove SecuROM after the software with which it was installed has been removed.[4] Most titles now also include a revoke tool to deactivate the license; revoking all licenses would restore the original activation limit.[5] As with Windows activation, a hardware change may appear as a change of computer, and force another activation of the software.[6] Reformatting the computer may not consume an activation, if the Product Activation servers successfully detect it as a re-installation on the same set of hardware.[7] The activation limit may be increased, on a case-by-case basis, if the user is shown to have reached this limit due to several hardware-triggered re-activations on the same PC.

Grief.exe

Thought Dust is coming out tomorrow? My steam is saying 25th.

ZVm2cnl.png

1 day and 14 hours, that would technically unlock on the 25th.

We need Noogy in here ASAP.

We were just speculating that companies might be patching out GFWL.

Both Bioshock 2 and Arkham Asylum have put up Steam Achievements recently, but not activated them as of yet.

Too GFWL games from two separate companies. Couple that with Halo 2's June shutoff date, and companies dropping the DRM entirely, including Microsoft, and you have an interesting narrative.

What's so bad about securom?

I'm curious, don't know why this DRM is more hated than the others

Its pretty bad.

It installs itself in your computer without your permission and scans your hardware, software, and registry.

It loads up whenever you boot up your computer, slows down processes, and is very difficult to properly remove (it generally doesn't uninstall with the game).

Grief.exe

Is this real life?

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130522214715-10904058-the-technology-behind-xbox-one

Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles. These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics.
Quote:
Our benchmarks on just the video and audio performance are 8-10 times superior to the current gen. The compute capabilities of these platforms and the data transfer speeds we can now bank on, essentially removes any notion of rationing of systems resources for our game engines

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Is this real life?

If you read those comments without attribution, it reads like some bullshit that would get flamed to hell on Gamefaqs.

Then you find out it is the Chief Technology Officer of EA and things begin to make a lot more sense. Like a picture finally coming into view.

nexen

I'd love to know how ATI's last generation GPUs are somehow a generation ahead of current GPUs.

I knew I should have bought ATI.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Green Ranger:Red Ranger::Nvidia:ATI

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you people.

Grief.exe

If you read those comments without attribution, it reads like some bullshit that would get flamed to hell on Gamefaqs.

Then you find out it is the Chief Technology Officer of EA and things begin to make a lot more sense. Like a picture finally coming into view.

Ya like they have some kind of motive or something.

Ooo where did the new achievements leak?

Just check the Infinite achievement page, the first DLC achievements are up.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/BioShockInfinite/achievements

Integrated SoC technically is a generation beyond the sloppy ass architecture we're using. That said, my lowly 660ti still can beat it in a school yard fight. Which is all that matters when you get to the basics of it all.

You do have a point there.

We are running into some bottlenecks moving data around the various systems on PC, but equating that to what he actually said doesn't line up.

And then the 3rd post in the thread about GDDR5 was typical and made laugh.

nexen

Integrated SoC technically is a generation beyond the sloppy ass architecture we're using. That said, my lowly 660ti still can beat it in a school yard fight. Which is all that matters when you get to the basics of it all.

Yeah, good plumbing can only raise the bar so much.

Grief.exe

Could have the Day Z standalone pretty soon.

Looks like Rocket is down.

Pg1KMTz.png

https://twitter.com/rocket2guns/status/337504909748469760

He also confirmed that he will be at E3

Yeah, good plumbing can only raise the bar so much.

I remember reading about the next generation of Mobos that are coming after Haswell.

Broadwell or Sky Lake, most likely the latter since that will be the TOCK in Intel's CPU releases.

I've also read some horrible things, like Intel will start soldering the CPU to the mobo eventually. Locking out overclocking and causing a number of anti-consumer issues.

No gameplay details, meh.

Sorry to disappoint lol, but that is all we know.

Have they even patched Infinite yet? I know there were some issues at launch.

nexen

I remember reading about the next generation of Mobos that are coming after Haswell.

Broadwell or Sky Lake, most likely the latter since that will be the TOCK in Intel's CPU releases.

I've also read some horrible things, like Intel will start soldering the CPU to the mobo eventually. Locking out overclocking and causing a number of anti-consumer issues.
Yeah, I remember reading some griping about that. I didn't pay it much attention because I haven't bothered to overclock a CPU in years.
I don't remember any improvements to the bus or memory architecture though, but that would be quite welcome.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Green Ranger:Red Ranger::Nvidia:ATI

I don't know how to make it any clearer for you people.

This only solidifies my choice on both liking NVidia and the Green Rangers better.

That is an amazing parallel. I don't quite see how AMD (ATI) is the leader at anything (thatsthejoke.jpg), but NVidia is definitely cooler and better.

Could have the Day Z standalone pretty soon.

I like the notion that we're all waiting for this man to climb DOWN from Mt. Everest to provide us with our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom