• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
The main obnoxious thing about SecuROM is the limited installations, how it might apparently consider even changing a GPU to be a different installation, and how depending on the game you may or may not be able to deactivate a previous license. Worst case you can try to contact support for your game and get another license.

Grief.exe

Arkham City already had Steam achievements though.

I meant AA

EDIT: Beaten by Nabbers

Sweet, FartRage 4 is today's deal

screenshot2013-05-23ahyupd.png

That was yesterday's deal, today's will be up in 10 minutes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Payday 2 being a retail title strikes me as a massive misfire. I can't imagine it being popular enough to warrant the extra financial concern.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I take it Chivalry gets free weekend because of their update?

I thought it wasn't Furry enough for you? And its an 'indie platformer.'

Its probably going to be between 12-14 dollars.

12 being a optimistic estimate.

Well you can't thoroughly judge something without trying it first. All I said is impressions!

Besides if it goes far over the "line" for my cautious titles I won't buy it until sale. Hell even then I still feel really, really sour from Rayman Origins.

Chronoja

How could anything about Rayman Origins leave you sour. It's good at any price, for everyone.

yeah I know it's all subjective

JaseC

Rayman Origins is perhaps the best 2D platformer on Steam.

And not just because pre-ordering it got you the one and only Steam version of Rayman 2.

deejay

The boss fights in Rayman Origins are retarded. It is one gorgeous looking game, but having to memorize sequences in order to defeat bosses is just ridiculous.

JaseC

One year my mates (the people in question are twins, see), received Prehistorik Man as a birthday/Christmas present, and although I sucked at the game in general, on my one and only shot when it came to the final boss, I persevered. I was a king, if only for a moment.

Is anything besides the base game worth picking up?

I suppose that depends on how "serious" you are about the game. I haven't touched it at all, so allow me to defer.

deejay

You mean like nearly every boss ever in gaming since forever?

I don't know what games you've been playing but in the platformers I've played the bosses uses patterns instead of sequences. Patterns gives you a fair fight; you just have to figure out when to do what exactly, and doing sequences has you memorizing stuff in order to kill them. Rayman has the last one, and it didn't fit the game at all.

Grief.exe

The boss fights in Rayman Origins are retarded. It is one gorgeous looking game, but having to memorize sequences in order to defeat bosses is just ridiculous.

That's kind of a gaming staple, let alone a platforming staple.

I just played through Super Mario Land 1 on the original Game Boy. That game has bosses that force you to memorize patterns and adapt.

EDIT: Oh, we are arguing semantics between patterns and sequences. I got you.

Rayman Origins is perhaps the best 2D platformer on Steam.

And not just because pre-ordering it got you the one and only Steam version of Rayman 2.

It's perhaps one of the best 2D platformers in the last 10 years, maybe even more. I just can't wait for Legends.

Chronoja

I don't know what games you've been playing but in the platformers I've played the bosses uses patterns instead of sequences. Patterns gives you a fair fight; you just have to figure out when to do what exactly, and doing sequences has you memorizing stuff in order to kill them. Rayman has the last one, and it didn't fit the game at all.

To avoid the arguement of every boss fight ever we can just boil it down to what Rayman Origins was trying to accomplish which was to provide a new 2D rayman game which hadn't existed since the first Rayman game on the ps1,saturn, pc etc.

If you look at the boss battles in that game they follow a very similar sequence driven approach. This is why it succeeds on multiple levels.

I understand why you wouldn't like them but they are objectively well designed and pay tribute to their source material and purpose. I say objectively well designed because they mechanically work, aren't broken and even though you might take a few tries to beat them, are relatively fair.

Also for the sake of arguement I'm assuming the difference between a pattern and sequence driven boss fight is that a sequence gives you a smaller, advertised moment to strike the enemy as opposed to being able to damage them at any available time, in say a genesis Sonic game.

Firebrand

Its pretty bad.

It installs itself in your computer without your permission and scans your hardware, software, and registry.

It loads up whenever you boot up your computer, slows down processes, and is very difficult to properly remove (it generally doesn't uninstall with the game).

I think the SecuROM in the Arkham games is embedded in the executables and does not install itself, other than dropping license files under AppData. The SecuROM in Bioshock was definitely worse.

It's still pretty dumb though.

Doesn't that mean you just memorize a pattern to beat the boss? I fail to see a difference.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So uhh... Chivalry here has the big patch right? I heard they have this big update which adds a lot of stuff - if I enjoy it I'll buy the game.

How could anything about Rayman Origins leave you sour. It's good at any price, for everyone.

yeah I know it's all subjective

People hype its platforming which feels mediocre. It's a good looking game which suffers from subpar physics and floaty controls.

Grief.exe

Its such a nice day outside in Denver I think I might go sit with my dog and play some Game Boy Micro.

Here is a cool write up on the Stomping Land video game by Eurogamer.

I'm thinking of contributing to the Kickstarter.

The Stomping Land is ambitious. The dinosaur hunting concept may recall Monster Hunter, but this is a harsher, more competitive multiplayer world along the lines of DayZ. You see, food is difficult to obtain. Hunting smaller dinos isn't that difficult, but with gargantuan predators roaming the countryside, they're sure to smell fresh blood and come a-runnin'. To ward them off you'll have to either set traps, create distractions, or slaughter enough herbivores that you can reclaim your meat while a T-Rex is busy munching on its mum.

Or, you could always raid the encampments of other tribes. This gives the game a persistent multiplayer angle. Acquiring more meat also makes it so fewer dinosaurs will appear nearby, encouraging other players to steal from the richest tribes. The ultimate goal is to become the dominant tribe in land of stomping.

Eurogamer

Kickstarter

Greenlight Concept

So uhh... Chivalry here has the big patch right? I heard they have this big update which adds a lot of stuff - if I enjoy it I'll buy the game.

Honestly, its difficult not to enjoy Chivalry. Remember, it has quite a learning curve.

Play with friends.

People hype its platforming which feels mediocre. It's a good looking game which suffers from subpar physics and floaty controls.

I agree. The graphics and music are amazing, but I really got frustrated by the vertical platform jump controls and the sometimes odd hit boxes of enemies.

I also think the level design was good, but the 80% of the game is too easy, which does not prepare you for the tough last parts. The controls do not help out that
last bonus area.

Tizoc

Don't really get what you mean, I had to memorize the 'sequence' of each boss and it wasn't a pain or an issue. It's still memorization in the end though.

They are utterly dreadful. I played it in co-op with a friend who thought they were fine, but I loathed them. Rest of the game is alright.

nexen

Weird seeing people hate on a game that I can find so little fault with.
I'm not a big platformer guy though, so maybe my taste isn't refined enough to see the faults.

Also, to be the voice of dissent, I think Deus Ex: HR is much better than Alan Wake. I really love DEHR.
Alan Wake on the other hand was interesting and beautiful but also repetitive and the combat was more frustrating than fun.

edit: Props to Alan Wake for basically being a playable Stephen King novel though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom