• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

The boss fights in Rayman Origins are retarded. It is one gorgeous looking game, but having to memorize sequences in order to defeat bosses is just ridiculous.

the boss fights remind me of Air Zonk:

938855_20070724_embed001.jpg

which I only had the good fortune to play once or twice at a friends house.

good memories of a bygone era.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly, its difficult not to enjoy Chivalry. Remember, it has quite a learning curve.

Play with friends.

Oh I played Chivalry during its free weekend before but missed out on its sale. I really enjoyed it. However, I recall news of the game getting a mega-update so I was wondering if the free-weekend is influenced by that.

I agree. The graphics and music are amazing, but I really got frustrated by the vertical platform jump controls and the sometimes odd hit boxes of enemies.

I also think the level design was good, but the 80% of the game is too easy, which does not prepare you for the tough last parts. The controls do not help out that
last bonus area.

Yeah, the game is very easy and the platforming isn't really much platforming as it is more like "looking at the beautiful scenery". GAF hype added more of the salt.

MNC

Alan Wake's gameplay can be furiously boring and tedious; just be sure to adjust your playstyle if you find that happening because the game isn't going to change it up for you.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you're familiar with The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks, play Alan Wake.

If you're unfamiliar with The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks, play DE:HR, familiarise yourself with the aforementioned, and then play Alan Wake.

And then purchase Kentucky Route Zero as it's the closest you'll get to another David Lynch feature.

Edit: Speaking of Lynch, this thread is hilarious in retrospect.

Grief.exe

Oh I played Chivalry during its free weekend before but missed out on its sale. I really enjoyed it. However, I recall news of the game getting a mega-update so I was wondering if the free-weekend is influenced by that.

That mega update was right after that free weekend actually.

When they originally scheduled that free weekend they assumed they would have all the work done, but they didn't quite have it finished.

If you're familiar with The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks, play Alan Wake.

If you're unfamiliar with The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks, play DE:HR, familiarise yourself with the aforementioned, and then play Alan Wake.

And then purchase Kentucky Route Zero as it's the closest you'll get to another David Lynch feature.

Edit: Speaking of Lynch, this thread is hilarious in retrospect.

Twin Peaks?

JdfI3nO.jpg

Alan Wake's gameplay can be furiously boring and tedious; just be sure to adjust your playstyle if you find that happening because the game isn't going to change it up for you.

already know i'm playing this one on easy mode for the story. I played first 30 minutes or so on PS3 and decided the gameplay wasn't for me. Loved the story though.

Noogy

ZVm2cnl.png

1 day and 14 hours, that would technically unlock on the 25th.

We need Noogy in here ASAP.

Yeah, for some reason some systems are showing it unlocking on the 25th. Hopefully I can get this sorted with Valve, we need to do another update to the store anyway with the min/recommended specs stuff. If everything goes well, Dust:AET should be available tomorrow.

Chronoja

I would like to know this as well. Are all the deck keys unlocks for decks you can unlock in game, or are they unlocks for decks you wouldn't have otherwise?

Each deck in the game has unlockable cards which you gain naturally from defeating campaign enemies or I think maybe beating human players online. The deck unlock dlcs just give you all the cards you can get normally without having to play the game. They are strictly for people who want to jump straight in and start battling opponents with a full deck right from the get go.

If you are like me and are rather unfamiliar with card games I strongly suggest you don't purcahse any deck unlock dlc simply because the gradual process of acquiring new cards means you learn the strengths and weaknesses of each deck and can gauge better what value each new card adds to your deck.

The foil unlocks are literally nothing more than cosmetic difference by making some cards shiny. Zero impact on the gameplay at all.

Each deck in the game has unlockable cards which you gain naturally from defeating campaign enemies or I think maybe beating human players online. The deck unlock dlcs just give you all the cards you can get normally without having to play the game. They are strictly for people who want to jump straight in and start battling opponents with a full deck right from the get go.

If you are like me and are rather unfamiliar with card games I strongly suggest you don't purcahse any deck unlock dlc simply because the gradual process of acquiring new cards means you learn the strengths and weaknesses of each deck and can gauge better what value each new card adds to your deck.

The foil unlocks are literally nothing more than cosmetic difference by making some cards shiny. Zero impact on the gameplay at all.

Thank you! Do you recommend the 3 deck packs and expansion?

Chronoja

Cheap enough for an impulse buy.

*nods in agreement*

Thank you! Do you recommend the 3 deck packs and expansion?

For 2013 I can't really comment on that yet since I don't have them, but a few extra decks etc. can certainly extend the gameplay. I'd suggest you play the base game to determine whether or not you enjoy it enough that some extra decks will be worth your while. It's really up to you though.

Grief.exe

Yeah, for some reason some systems are showing it unlocking on the 25th. Hopefully I can get this sorted with Valve, we need to do another update to the store anyway with the min/recommended specs stuff. If everything goes well, Dust:AET should be available tomorrow.

Will it be available at Midnight tonight?

Or 10 am PST tomorrow when the store updates?

Thanks for answering the call Noogy

Tambini

Finally picked up a 360 controller so I can begin playing Dark Souls at long last. Turns out big picture mode is actually quite good as well.

Noogy

Will it be available at Midnight tonight?

Or 10 am PST tomorrow when the store updates?

Thanks for answering the call Noogy

Just got word from Valve, we are planning on having Dust:AET available tomorrow morning-noon'ish (so I imagine when the store updates).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now you got me interested. Summer sale can't come soon enough.

KRZ impressed me so that I felt compelled to post a review. Act II was originally scheduled for release in April, but with a delay into May and it still being a no-show, June/July seems more likely. (Something something Summer Sale something something. :p)

Alan Wake noob question: If I run out of ammo, is there any other way to fight back, or do I just run?

Just time your sprint right so as to dodge and run towards the light. Ammo is plentiful, really, though.

Alan Wake noob question: If I run out of ammo, is there any other way to fight back, or do I just run?

I'm going to say this now: Don't play Alan Wake as a classic third person shooter.

Most of the time it isn't a game about killing enemies, it's about stopping them in their tracks (which can involve killing them, sure) and making it to the next safe place. The flashlight isn't just there to shave off their "armor" but to blind them and slow them down. At lower difficulties there's plenty of ammo if you don't waste it Call of Duty style though.

Just beat La-Mulana (using a LOT of hints from a wiki in the end)
Fuck this game and everyone who made it. Absolutely ridiculous.

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it immensely though. It's a great game. But I still hate it and the people that made it.

I don't think I like Alan Wake. It's very frustrating.

That's not an opinion you'll find shared unless you're playing it on hardest.

Also you should play both AW and DX at the same time, taking breaks between AW episodes to play more DX. Even if you don't play DX, stop playing AW when an episode ends.

I don't think I like Alan Wake. It's very frustrating.
The thing to keep in mind is your light doesn't need to be focused in order to hurt, I like keeping it on my target and flashing it to temporarily blind them.

Though on normal it does feel like an arbitrary buffer before you can shoot.

edit: surprised to see people recommending easier difficulties. the mechanics just don't seem to work cohesively on anything but nightmare.

I think I'm on normal? The default difficulty, anyway. I sort of loathe this. The atmosphere is great and I want to see what happens but I just hate, hate, hate the mechanics.

Edit: Holy shit, the way it goes to black and white when you get hit! That is boneheaded design. Maybe it's just me? When I'm in "critical" mode the b/w filter makes it really hard for me to tell where the heck I am and it's guaranteed that like four guys and gonna kill me. When I'm running away I can't see projectiles thrown at me, and these folks are much faster than Alan. I just don't think it's clicking with me. I won't drop it but sheesh, this is making a really bad first impression.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I'm going to say this now: Don't play Alan Wake as a classic third person shooter.

Most of the time it isn't a game about killing enemies, it's about stopping them in their tracks (which can involve killing them, sure) and making it to the next safe place. The flashlight isn't just there to shave off their "armor" but to blind them and slow them down. At lower difficulties there's plenty of ammo if you don't waste it Call of Duty style though.

This mayne gets it.

Grief.exe

Just got word from Valve, we are planning on having Dust:AET available tomorrow morning-noon'ish (so I imagine when the store updates).

Alright, can't wait.

I think I'm on normal? The default difficulty, anyway. I sort of loathe this. The atmosphere is great and I want to see what happens but I just hate, hate, hate the mechanics.

Edit: Holy shit, the way it goes to black and white when you get hit! That is boneheaded design. Maybe it's just me? When I'm in "critical" mode the b/w filter makes it really hard for me to tell where the heck I am and it's guaranteed that like four guys and gonna kill me. When I'm running away I can't see projectiles thrown at me, and these folks are much faster than Alan. I just don't think it's clicking with me. I won't drop it but sheesh, this is making a really bad first impression.

Seems more like your play style to be honest.

This is solid advice.

Use the light as a deterrence to put your enemies in the right position, then take them out when the time is right.

A lot of skill in shooters actually comes down to positioning. Aim still matters, but not as much.

zkylon

zkylewd
normal is "hard" from the console version, so I actually found it to be fairly challenging.

I dunno what to say bro, the combat mechanics don't really change all that much through the game, so if you don't like 'em you don't like 'em.

I'd encourage you to give it another shot maybe later with a clear mind and spirit, since atmosphere and story are both really cool, and imo the combat can turn a bit tedious but it's still pretty fun, but the game's been known to be hit and miss, so it's understandable I guess

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I remember when I saw a sign for Twin Peaks in my town, I was really confused. Then really disappointed when I found out it was a breastaraunt.

To elaborate, I think everything about it, so far, is tremendous, but... I don't like playing it. I just got the flares, so maybe that will help.

To add to my advice above, try to master the timing for the dodge. It's essential to the combat as it lets you evade practically everything including stronger enemies.

As you've already noticed, most enemies are faster than you which poses a big challenge when you're trying to escape. Here is where the flashlight comes into play. If you simply run away Wake will tire and enemies will catch up to you. Turn around, blind them with the flashlight and sometimes even fire a round or two even if they're still protected by the darkness.

The flares will definitely help you because at that point the game really starts to become more about crowd management and survival. Use them reasonably and try to always keep one to escape enemies. If you hold the button for the flares you can hold it the air for a while btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom