• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's up with this trading card thing, I know if I play Portal 2, I only find four of eight cards, but I can trade for the others.

How is it possible to get a full set?

I'm hitting some really ugly chop on occasion in Half-Life 2, which is making me doubleplus sad in combination with the loading seems. I wonder if it's anything to do with being in the Steampipe beta.

You're a Cosmo lover too? That's fucking amazing, I'm sending a SteamHug your way!

That game, Secret Agent, Jill of the Jungle, Hocus Pocus, Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Duke Nukum, Duke Nukem 3D, Wacky Wheels and Quake defined my childhood. I loved Death Rally too, but I wasn't good at it, and Jazz Jackrabbit 2, which I got for free thanks to a PC encyclopedia and became one of my favorite games of all time. I'd go as far as to call it the best 2D platformer I ever played (yes, I played and loved SMB3 and Sonic 2, and no, I'm not crazy).

Well not so much a lover...but that jump/walk sound is still burned into my brain.

Shareware ftw.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think 75% off for $6.25 is going to happen and the best it will be at a steam sale. (such as at gamersgate so http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SDOGSUS/sleeping-dogs-digital-edition)

Ah, fair point. Even so, as we've seen in the past year, it's not uncommon for publishers to offer a lesser discount on Steam due to its sheer popularity. On the other other hand, though, Squeenix likes racing to the bottom, so -75% is decidedly likely!
Thanks for the insight, I think I put it on my wishlist when it came out but never really bothered to understand what it was all about. I'll make it mine next sale. Also I sent you a friend request, hope that's fine :p

Absotively!

KarmaCow

I'm kinda disappointed with Sleeping Dogs after all the hype. I did most of the open world stuff except for a few races and a few lockboxes, so all that's left are the story missions and the last few I played had too much "going to the marker" stuff. I think I would have preferred more of a straight up brawler than the more open world story-thing that had going on.

I did put 15+ hours into it so it's not like it was terrible by any stretch but I think I enjoyed doing dumb shit in Saints Row 3 more.

and Jazz Jackrabbit 2, which I got for free thanks to a PC encyclopedia and became one of my favorite games of all time. I'd go as far as to call it the best 2D platformer I ever played (yes, I played and loved SMB3 and Sonic 2, and no, I'm not crazy).

+1 to this, played it at a mates place all the time because my family was too poor to own one of those flash personal computers. i remember he had it set as a boot option so you turned on the pc and you could boot right into the game bypassing dos and windows. Must have had something to do with conserving system resources, but I was a kid back then, I just thought it was rad you didn't have to wait 15 minutes for the computer to boot up entirely. Good times :D

sibarraz

Banned
Buying Magic: The Gathering with Fez: a good idea or a horrible slasher movie waiting to happen?

I actually liked magic 2013

That being said, the game has lots of limitations, since you can only use pre armed decks, you can wins cards that are designed for deck and uilding your deck from that, but you can combine 2 decks for example

sibarraz

Banned
sorry, I wanted to say you CAN'T combine 2 decks, or create a deck where you choose the cards from a big selection

you start with a deck of 60 cards, and if you win a duel, you can unlock another deck

Each deck has 20-30 unlockable cards, which you unlock for every victory that you get using said deck

after that, you can choose from those 90 cards how many and which do you want to use in your deck.

That being said, the game is awesome, it really helps to understand the game and overall has a good difficulty, isn't unfair, since you need to think your movements

sorry, I wanted to say you CAN'T combine 2 decks, or create a deck where you choose the cards from a big selection

you start with a deck of 60 cards, and if you win a duel, you can unlock another deck

Each deck has 20-30 unlockable cards, which you unlock for every victory that you get using said deck

after that, you can choose from those 90 cards how many and which do you want to use in your deck.

That being said, the game is awesome, it really helps to understand the game and overall has a good difficulty, isn't unfair, since you need to think your movements

The demo was far more stable than DOTP 2011.

Quick game review since I just beat it.

Singluarity

The game was a decent cheap, B-tier type of game that was marred with several problems.

Gameplay
The game's main attraction is the TMD, the Time Manipulation Device. During the course of the game you upgrade it's abilities from opening time rifts to using the device to pick up objects and fling at foes. Most of the abilities aren't satisfying in the slightest. The only thing that actually offers a good bit of satisfaction is the Impulse ability, which pushes enemies back sometimes causing them to lose their limbs. You can just stick to regular guns as the abilities don't seem to do any more damage quicker than just shooting someone in the face with a shotgun.

There are a few "fun guns" in this game like the Seeker, which allows the user to steer the bullet to the target to create an explosive blast. Everything else is basically standard fare, shotgun, revolver, sniper rilfe and minigun.

You can upgrade the weapons and abilities, but for the most part the upgrades are fairly trivial. Each weapon comes with three upgradeable options, reload speed, damage and clip size, each upgradeable twice. It's a safe attempt at "customization" though. The abilities have a bit more variety, ranging from the usual health upgrade to something a bit more unique like gaining energy when killing foes. Again, these customization options are pointless and feel like they were used as a bulletpoint for the back of the box.

The levels aren't vastly different from each other. Which, I suppose, links each environment. There are few chest high walls, but a lot of them can be degraded using the TMD which was kinda cool.

I'm probably most disappointed in the gameplay because this game from Raven.

Story
The game is very clearly influenced by Bioshock and Half-life, but doesn't quite reach the standards set by either game. The game tries too hard to immersive, but fails due to it's bad pacing and un-interesting story. Scattered throughout the game are voice recorders that give a bit of backstory into what happened on that doomed island, Katorga. Unfortunately, most of them don't build up the world that Bioshock did. I'm not entirely sure if it was because you had to be within earshot, thus stopping the action to hear something not directly related to the plot, or because the recordings weren't personal.

The game also had a few hidden messages you used the TMD to decifier that were, again, absolutely pointless. And, honestly, didn't lend anything extra to unraveling the story.

The game also tries to throw a character at you that it tried to make tragic, but you met them all of three times and their death was ultimately pointless. There was also a chase sequence that just felt like it was forcing you down a series of hallways trying to take down random enemies along the way. There was no tension, no feeling that I needed to save this person. It almost felt like an on-rails shooter, pointing me where I needed to go and killing who I needed to kill.

The ending was another of these last minute decisions that determines what ending you get that doesn't satisfy in any way. There are three endings, a good, bad, and "Your Own" ending. So basically a neutral ending. The game ends with a wimper, and you'll immediately forget what the last few hours were spent on.

Visuals
The game is three years old at this point, and it doesn't hold up all that well. It's not very impressive, but it's not offensive. There are very few options in the game to customize it. I had to force AA through my video card's settings. I would have liked a bit more dynamic lighting engine.

Bottomline
The game was pretty mediocre overall and very forgettable, but not offensive. If you're looking to burn a few hours, then this game fills that void well. Don't expect to be blown away by an immersive, thought-provoking narrative. I'd say the game is worth $5-10 easily.

I give this game 4 bananas out of 6 apricots.

Wow.

So, I'm 31 (eh, close enough), and I've just experienced my first personal rage-quit. The guy quit the game two moves out from me winning.

Grief.exe

Just beat System Shock 2.

Solid experience overall, and definitely cements itself as one of the greatest games of all time.

Can't wait to play other, similar classics like Deus Ex or Jedi Knight 2.

Going to play some games in the interim though, don't want to get burned out on the genre.

Joe Molotov

man those reward tiers are so bad

hey guys here's all these cool things we could've given you for trusting us enough to pay money for an unreleased game!

oh wait we didn't get enough money to fill this cute abstract bar!

fekkk you!

but make sure you buy our season pass trololol

Yep. On a scale of Bullshit to Bullshit, this is clearly some bullshit.

Solid experience overall, and definitely cements itself as one of the greatest games of all time.

Going to play some games in the interim though, don't want to get burned out on the genre.

Good stuff. Might be an idea to play JK2 next as it is a pretty straight-forward action game (if not awesome).

Caerith

If you're familiar with The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks, play Alan Wake.

If you're unfamiliar with The Twilight Zone and Twin Peaks, play DE:HR, familiarise yourself with the aforementioned, and then play Alan Wake.

And then purchase Kentucky Route Zero as it's the closest you'll get to another David Lynch feature.

Edit: Speaking of Lynch, this thread is hilarious in retrospect.
Twin Peaks, that series with Zooey's mom in it?

Yep. On a scale of Bullshit to Bullshit, this is clearly some bullshit.
I dunno, on that same scale I think I'd give it a 5.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Twin Peaks, that series with Zooey's mom in it?

You really do learn something new every day!

Twin Peaks was the show my patents watched after they sent me to bed. I think it had boobs in it or something, or a unicorn with boobs.

The show has no nudity. Which is a shame because:

On a final note:

fenndetails.jpg

Damn.

The stupid thing is if they made the pre-order bonus for RE:R the season pass without all this reward tier bollocks then (since I lack a lot of self control) their is a good chance I probably would have got it.

Exeunt

I think I'll be joining you in the System Shock 2 veterans club in the next couple days! Hopefully Morrowind will be my palate cleanser, as it were.

I've reached the point late in the game after
deck six
where you have to
kill all the new eggs. The Rickenbacker feels quite different from the Von Braun so far, atmospherically.
. But I like it. Is the end stretch any weaker than the rest of the game, or just more linear?

FloatOn

Just beat La-Mulana (using a LOT of hints from a wiki in the end)
Fuck this game and everyone who made it. Absolutely ridiculous.

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it immensely though. It's a great game. But I still hate it and the people that made it.

I had to hang it up. Got to the pyramid area boss and it went full on Gunstar Heroes in terms of crazy boss antics but you know, without giving you a gun or any real way to defend yourself.

Will absolutely come back to it when I have more resolve. I have a similar situation going on right now with FEZ. Game just makes me feel like an idiot.

and as long as we are talking about david lynch (everyone), which is your favorite film of his? I'm a Lost Highway guy myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom