• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Didn't get any GMG Cashback from Sleeping Dogs, even though it's in the description...

It stipulates during checkout that it will take a few days to appear.

Why would you take cashback that takes a couple days to reach you other than instant store-credit that can be applied to any other game is beyond me.

The fact that you're buying a game is an indication that you will buy more games in the future, so cashback is less money, no matter how you justify it.

GMG will always have a deal in the future.

Always take the store credit.

Ledsen

Uhm, what happened to badges? Suddenly I can't see the ones that have to do with visiting profiles, viewing a guide etc, all I can see are the trading card badges, Summer/Winter sale badges etc... doesn't matter how I sort the page, that section is just gone. On my profile it says I have 7 badges, like the ones that disappeared also don't count towards my profile anymore... I'm still the same level though?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd almost forgive Acti for (essentially) killing Raven if Heretic II popped up on Steam.

Almost.

Grief.exe

Dust is a solid port

Good amount of PC visual options

M/KB controls and Controller

Option to scale and move the UI

The M/KB/Controller is quite impressive. Its really dynamic.

If you are using the Controller like I am, but then move the mouse it automatically switches to M/KB prompts. Then switches back when you pick up the controller.

Sloppy controls, bad port, bad checkpoints? Was that your first time playing anything GTA4 related?

No I played 4 on 360 release.

Needless to say, it has not aged well at all.

Especially when you compare it to Sleeping Dogs.

Gianna as a daily.....

Hrrrmmm. I need to check this out.

I jumped into it a few weeks ago when GMG had it on sale for 75% off and don't regret it. After playing the demo I found the characters were a little "floaty" (they seem to slide a little over the ground as opposed to giving you the feeling of traction that some platformers succeed at conveying) but in practice it's not very game-breaking. The worlds are beautiful, the music is good and the swapping mechanic is enjoyable. Not the best 2d platformer of the last few years but certainly worth your time.

I'd be curious to know how Rush Bros is. I really liked the mechanics of the competitive mode in Sonic 2 and Sonic Rivals on the PSP and this looks similar. That said the platforming mechanics seem really "jilted" and "flash-y" for lack of a better description. Anybody have any impressions?

Also, am I the only one who immediately sees Super Crate Box in Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe? Is it the same developers?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
No I played 4 on 360 release.

I would hope that a game that comes out 5 years later made improvements to the open world formula. That would be pretty pathetic if it hadn't.

I recommended GTA4 episodes because he had 25 hours played of GTA4 and several hours already put into the episodes. I don't think he is going to come running to this thread crying about how it's not Sleeping Dogs.

Tomodachi

I would hope that a game that comes out 5 years later made improvements to the open world formula. That would be pretty pathetic if it hadn't.
And yet many steps backwards were made in the driving model area :p

I really didn't enjoy driving in Sleeping Dogs, kinda feels like driving a car made of indestructible paper in a city made likewise, where you reach top speed in a couple seconds and breaks can stop you in a 2 meters space after that. Inertia: how does that work? :(

Li Kao

Err guys ? Stupid question time, yeah !
Just to be sure, if I buy from amazon a steam code for a game that is not available in my region, I won't be able to activate it ? The only way to do it is by gift ?
Yeah because for the sake of completion (let's be real, my backlog is already stuffed) I could see myself bitting the bullet on Drakensang the river of something something.

Err guys ? Stupid question time, yeah !
Just to be sure, if I buy from amazon a steam code for a game that is not available in my region, I won't be able to activate it ? The only way to do it is by gift ?
Yeah because for the sake of completion (let's be real, my backlog is already stuffed) I could see myself bitting the bullet on Drakensang the river of something something.

I have a Drakensang code I can give you if you're interested in the game.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize the "river of something something" was the sequel. My apologies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I'm sure it sounds crazy to some people, but GTAIV is still king of the sandbox genre for me. After GTAIV, physics, driving controls and city designs in other sandbox games are so unsatisfying. There's definitely some questionable design decisions in there, but I always feel like returning to it when playing middling/by the numbers sandbox games like Sleeping Dogs.

Just Cause 2 is the only one that comes close for me, but it's over-the-top, plane surfing, mountain scaling insanity is a much different flavor of sandbox fun.

Grief.exe

I recommended GTA4 episodes because he had 25 hours played of GTA4 and several hours already put into the episodes. I don't think he is going to come running to this thread crying about how it's not Sleeping Dogs.

A little extreme

Grief.exe

To give the impression that The Ballad of Gay Tony is no longer a worthwhile experience in a post Sleeping Dogs world is a little extreme as well.

I played BoGT before Sleeping Dogs actually.

I thought I was just no longer interested in Open World games. Turns out, it was just the bad mechanics.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
To give the impression that The Ballad of Gay Tony is no longer a worthwhile experience in a post Sleeping Dogs world is a little extreme as well.

Yeah...I don't want to slam SD too much, since it's not a bad game, but it left me feeling about the same way as the original True Crime games. I always get a little befuddled when people claim it's a revelation or somehow potentially influential in the genre.

So, I'm tempted to play through both Batman Arkham games this weekend. I see that they have added achievements for both games, does that mean that they have finally got rid of GFWL?

So how do I turn my TF2 inventory/Trading cards into money ? Or atleast how do I determine the value of what I have ? I have a bunch of tf2 items from way back and a bunch of rewards from games and wouldn't feel bad about getting rid of them.

Deques

So how do I turn my TF2 inventory/Trading cards into money ? Or atleast how do I determine the value of what I have ? I have a bunch of tf2 items from way back and a bunch of rewards from games and wouldn't feel bad about getting rid of them.

here
http://steamcommunity.com/market/

So, I'm tempted to play through both Batman Arkham games this weekend. I see that they have added achievements for both games, does that mean that they have finally got rid of GFWL?

Nope, gfwl is still there

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

1) Arkham City always had Steam achievements on Steam.

2) No. GFWL is still present in both.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah...I don't want to slam SD too much, since it's not a bad game, but it left me feeling about the same way as the original True Crime games. I always get a little befuddled when people claim it's a revelation or somehow potentially influential in the genre.

I loved Sleeping Dogs myself, but yes, good god.

Sober

1) Arkham City always had Steam achievements on Steam.

2) No. GFWL is still present in both.
The only problem I have them dismantling/discontinuing GFWL is the logistics of it, at least for the player side. If someone buys a retail copy of a GFWL game and the dev/publisher decided to switch to Steam, what exactly happens when say, they try to install it off the disc, it runs and poops itself? (yes I know it will almost not happen on this end, on GAF)

iavi

Sleeping Dogs wasn't amazing, but it's the first open-world game I've enjoyed since Crackdown; Actual thought went into the mission-structure. Playing through SR3 after was like hell; the campaign is basically a mini-game collection.

---

On an entirely different note: someone please tell me Oculus rift support is being worked into Chivalry. That is the game for it.

xJavonta

Banned
Is Dungeon Siege any good? The only other game in that bundle that I want and don't have is The Cave, trying to think of another game to go with it.

nexen

The only problem I have them dismantling/discontinuing GFWL is the logistics of it, at least for the player side. If someone buys a retail copy of a GFWL game and the dev/publisher decided to switch to Steam, what exactly happens when say, they try to install it off the disc, it runs and poops itself? (yes I know it will almost not happen on this end, on GAF)

I may be wrong but I thought that they will still run in offline mode.
The problem comes in that the saves are tied to account so if you have an online account your saves will not be visible unless you authenticate with their servers.

Exeunt

It's a shame about GFWL in the Arkham games. I'd love to pick up Asylum at some point, since I've never played it, but GFWL is holding me back.

Depends if you played SS1 or not I suppose.

But it isn't really that bad and it is right at the end...but, well you'll know when you get there.

I haven't played it, though I know it ends in
cyberspace
or something to that effect.

I agree, the end stretch is definitely not as good.

I also think destroying an arbitrary amount of hidden eggs is bad game design.

I found them all easily, but not a good idea.

Eh, I haven't gone into the hunt yet but it doesn't strike me as that bad. Just a little more transparently "hey, this is a video game" than your previous missions.

JaseC

Soooo is Tomb Raider worth it?

I loved Uncharted 1+2. Haven't played 3.

The game is heavily inspired by Naughty Dog's cinematic adventures, so yes. Uncharted, Drake's Fortune in particular, excites my inner child who's always been fascinated by ancient/former civilisations and lost treasure, and in this respect, despite the more obnoxious reliance on combat, Tomb Raider doesn't particularly falter.

Speaking of the combat, the game is tremendously easy with the kb&m due to the extra precision. Enemies that are covered in armour are handily overcome if you're a good shot with the mouse; there wasn't a single moment where I felt overwhelmed, even during the later stages in the game where you're essentially stuffed if you don't get headshots.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'd say the price will go down even further what with how Squeenix is doing financially lately, only buy if you're gonna play it immediately.

But... how chaper can it go? There's no DLC for it (not useful DLC anyway) and it's already 66%. 75% would only only make it go 4 bucks cheaper...

Hmm, then again 4 bucks is money...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Click to install. Restart Steam if it doesn't.

But... how chaper can it go? There's no DLC for it (not useful DLC anyway) and it's already 66%. 75% would only only make it go 4 bucks cheaper...

Hmm, then again 4 bucks is money...

4$ is like 1-1.5 boxes of cereal. Your call.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Bought Tomb Raider @ $20 and I don't regret it one bit. Granted, I beat it on the same week and loved it, so it all depends on how soon you'll be playing it really.

I've been meaning to try the multiplayer a bit more, assuming it isn't completely dead by now. Played two matches after I was done with the campaign and had fun.

JaseC

I haven't eaten breakfast since I began buying Steam games relatively willy-nilly. A dollar spent is a dollar wasted. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'll spit on your grave for that. But really, I'll probably end up getting you a game in the future for making me laugh.
Haha, you really don't need to do that! But thanks anyway ;)

You know what, when I die I'll ask my family to cut my corpse in little pieces and bury each one in a different place, just to make you waste time finding them all so you can spit on them.

re: Sleepy Dawgs

If it wasn't for all the Hong Kong cinema shenanigans I wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much. Open-world games have always been rather boring to me though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How recently did the EnhancedSteam app add even more websites for price-tracking? It's making this thread irrelevant lol.

Lowest Price: $39.99 at Amazon US (Info)
Historical Low: $24.71 at Nuuvem on May 9, 2013 (Info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom