• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think I love Dead Space 2 as much as the first game. It took me a while to come back to it for a full replay (just did random levels every so often) and damn does it hit the spot.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Current Bundles: 22k
New target: 9 million

9 days remaining. Call me pessimistic but I doubt that will get unlocked.

The target was 10m but it got lowered to 9. I'm thinking it's a joke of some sorts. I'm sure it'll be unlocked.

I've plowed through about 8-10 games from my Steam backlog in the last few months, and I think I'm at the point were I'm burned out. I can't seem to get Fallout New Vegas mods working and I tried playing Alpha Protocol, but I got bored after 30 minutes.

If anyone here even slightly likes JRPGs, I suggest picking this up. It may be a little tough, but Square-Enix did try some new things and it's not as bad as reviewers said it was

I thought all of the lower review score were due to technically issues not present in the PC version. Or am I just misremembering.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I've plowed through about 8-10 games from my Steam backlog in the last few months, and I think I'm at the point were I'm burned out. I can't seem to get Fallout New Vegas mods working and I tried playing Alpha Protocol, but I got bored after 30 minutes.
Alpha Protocol takes time to get warmed up.

New Vegas is still an amazing game without mods.

masterkajo

Alpha Protocol takes time to get warmed up.

New Vegas is still an amazing game without mods.

I can't seem to get into New Vegas. I played through Fallout 3 back when it released and thought it was quite good. Really enjoyed it (apart from the over the top violence). Bought New Vegas several Steam sales ago and tried to play it several times. I always stop after 3-5 hours. I just lose interest soo quickly. Don't know why. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't seem to get into New Vegas. I played through Fallout 3 back when it released and thought it was quite good. Really enjoyed it (apart from the over the top violence). Bought New Vegas several Steam sales ago and tried to play it several times. I always stop after 3-5 hours. I just lose interest soo quickly. Don't know why. :(

I think at this point you could decide if you are ever going to be able to get in the mood to play it or if you should just move it to the not-gonna-play list. Don't force it. That's how you end up writing hateful shit about games that have sat in your library for 3+ years like me.

Sajjaja

You know, I was the exact same way. I enjoyed Fallout 3 immensely but when I started to play New Vegas, I simply could not get into it and thought it was pretty much inferior to Fallout 3. But one day I decided why the hell not, let's try it again. And man did it just click. I feel so tense making story decisions in that game its crazy. I absolutely love it now. Your best choice is to come back to New Vegas after a while. It was probably like a year or two until I picked it up again but it'll probably be different for you.

Grief.exe

I would recommend just taking a break from gaming entirely for a little while.

Go read a book, or watch an awesome TV series like Game of Thrones or Arrested Development.

Sometimes you need a break, especially if you have played a string of mediocre games.

I remember last winter I played Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Rage, Max Payne 3 (great mechanics, mediocre elsewhere), Spec Ops The Line (great Story, mediocre gameplay), GTAIV: BoGT (couldn't get over the sloppy controls, checkpoints, bad port, etc).

I didn't really break out of it until I played Hotline Miami and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, but in retrospect I should have just taken a break.

Miker

Guys, Resident Evil Revelaitons is pretty damn good. It's relatively slow paced, set in a big-ass cruise ship with backtracking and a mini-map in the corner, doesn't have QTE bullshit (so far), and has the incredibly awesome Raid Mode. It's not worth the $50 asking price in the sense that *nothing* is worth the $50 asking price on Steam, but it's packed with content, really polished, and anybody who enjoyed RE4/5 would be crazy not to get it when it goes on sale.

Guys, Resident Evil Revelaitons is pretty damn good. It's relatively slow paced, set in a big-ass cruise ship with backtracking and a mini-map in the corner, doesn't have QTE bullshit (so far), and has the incredibly awesome Raid Mode. It's not worth the $50 asking price in the sense that *nothing* is worth the $50 asking price on Steam, but it's packed with content, really polished, and anybody who enjoyed RE4/5 would be crazy not to get it when it goes on sale.

I'm relatively broke right now but I want to play this so bad.. For $15 or $20 I'd buy it, but knowing Capcom I'll probably have to wait quite a bit for that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I really liked the demo with the map turned off. How playable is the game as a whole without the minimap on?

Rising Storm is listed as 15% off on the banner ad but when you click on it, it is 40% off and there is a 4-pack that makes it even cheaper. It is from Tripwire Interactive, the people that made Killing Floor, the co-op Zombie killer that is not Left 4 Dead.

It looks like a Pacific theater type of WW2 CoD game. Might be worth picking up at 40% if you are interested. It was only $11.99 so I grabbed it . . . I haven't played the beta yet.

Edit: Oh wait a minute . . . this is may be why it was cheaper:

Pre-Purchase Offer
Pre-Purchase and receive access to the beta! Plus, save 15%, or 25% if you own Red Orchestra 2!

Well, that still doesn't explain why it is 40% . . . perhaps they (incorrectly) added 15% and 25% to get 40%?

Rising Storm is listed as 15% off on the banner ad but when you click on it, it is 40% off and there is a 4-pack that makes it even cheaper. It is from Tripwire Interactive, the people that made Killing Floor, the co-op Zombie killer that is not Left 4 Dead.

It looks like a Pacific theater type of WW2 CoD game. Might be worth picking up at 40% if you are interested. It was only $11.99 so I grabbed it . . . I haven't played the beta yet.

It's a deeper discount of you own RO2

Miker

I'm relatively broke right now but I want to play this so bad.. For $15 or $20 I'd buy it, but knowing Capcom I'll probably have to wait quite a bit for that.

I'd say with the content, it'd be worth it at $25 if you like RE4/5. I suppose it depends how much mileage you expect to get out of raid mode.

Here's Neiteio's post on Raid Mode:

Lemme break down Raid Mode for you. It's a separate mode, and you can play in single-player or co-op, offline or online.

You start at lv. 1. You level up to lv. 50. Your enemies range from lv. 1 to lv. 50, as well. And in Raid, there are other twists like tiny versions of enemies that are super-fast (hilariously terrifying, in the case of the chainsaw monster), or supersized versions of enemies that are slow but tremendously strong and resilient.

Where the weapons are concerned... You have a variety of handguns, shotguns, machine guns, magnums and rifles. Each has a level -- the higher the level, the stronger the weapon, but you must match or exceed the level in order to equip. Weapons also have a randomized number of slots -- I think the max is like eight or 10. Each slot can house a "part," with the best parts being the "illegal custom parts" squirreled away in optional corners of the levels.

Parts can increase firing speed, hitting power, accuracy, ammo capacity, penetration (for striking multiple foes in one shot), and so on. There are even ones that increase your shots in power the closer/farther you are to an enemy, or that scale in power based on other factors. Some even increase or decrease the target's aggression once shot.

Naturally, the more slots your weapon has, the more ways you can power it up. This makes the pursuit of high-level, high-slot loot in the game VERY addictive, and adds to your incentive to level up, and complete levels on higher difficulties. You also unlock characters as you level up, which you can view in great detail in Raid's model viewer.

There are also other weapons, like decoy bombs that lure away enemies before exploding, and underwater bombs you can use, well, underwater. (And swimming controls are superior here to what they were in RE6, and I say that as someone who otherwise loved the mechanics in that game.)

And remember, there's NO TIME LIMIT in Raid. Unlike Mercs, you don't have the clock breathing down your back. Don't get me wrong, I -love- Mercs, but Raid is definitely a nice change of pace. There are 20 levels, all expansive missions lifted from the game, each with three difficulty levels. There are at least 12 characters now.

And Ghost Ship, the secret 21st level, is INCREDIBLE. It spans the ENTIRE ship, with multiple false exits and multiple paths to the true ending. With the heart-thumping music, and the HUGE challenge, it's a freaking adventure in itself. A Ghost Ship run can take a solid hour. No saving, no starting over, just BRACE YOURSELF.

I really liked the demo with the map turned off. How playable is the game as a whole without the minimap on?

I'd wager very playable, but I'm not that far into the game yet, so there might be lots more backtracking coming up that might need a minimap. It's not very intrusive, though - it's just your position and locked doors that are marked - no enemies, no obnoxious pulsing, no objective arrow.

spectros4

Neo Member
Oh god, corrected by Michael Bolton.

Yeah, I noticed that afterward but it still doesn't quite explain 40%.

On the Tripwire forums, they stated that the discounts would stack.
Some other info they gave on Rising Storm:
  • If you own RO2, but don't purchase Rising Storm, you can still play Rising Storm, but only as the rifleman class
  • If you purchase Rising Storm, but do not own RO2, you have access to full multiplayer component of RO2
I think you get a deeper discount with the "in b4 reset" achievement unlocked, might be wrong though
If you have the in b4 reset achievement, you automatically get the day 1 unlocks from the digital deluxe edition for free.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Rising Storm was being done by one of their hand-picked mod teams. Did that change?

No it didn't but Tripwire are helping out the mod team in getting it ready for release. They basically see Rising Storm as a 'second chance' for them after the intial release of RO2. They want RS to be as bugfree and polished as they can get for release. I genuinely don't think we'll ever see another 'RO2 initial release' from Tripwire ever again. They know they fucked up and don't want to repeat it.

It's really shitty with a mouse, like catastrophically shitty. No I'm not going to play a 3rd person shooter on a controller on my PC.

Varg

Banned

I second this statement. Revelations is pretty stellar and I already put 16 hours into it with that glorious raid mode.

On the Tripwire forums, they stated that the discounts would stack.
Some other info they gave on Rising Storm:
  • If you own RO2, you can play Rising Storm, but only as the rifleman class
  • If you purchase Rising Storm, but do not own RO2, you have access to full multiplayer component of RO2

If you have the in b4 reset achievement, you automatically get the day 1 unlocks from the digital deluxe edition for free.

What? Like you're limited to the rifleman the entire game? No unlocks? What the hell?

FloatOn

That's about as long as I lasted on Alpha Protocol as well. It gets high praise around here for the conversation system and how it effects the overall storyline of the game. Which is probably true, but from what I gathered from the abysmal opening the story is probably not even worth the time. Mechanically it fails as a stealth game and a shooter. Overall I was very disappointed because the idea of a spy rpg is a very good one.

Now, if you want a game that GAF hype didn't lead me wrong on, check out Binary Domain aka the closest thing we'll get to a non-shitty terminator game.

NIN90

What? Like you're limited to the rifleman the entire game? No unlocks? What the hell?

They still want to sell the expansion..

That's about as long as I lasted on Alpha Protocol as well. It gets high praise around here for the conversation system and how it effects the overall storyline of the game. Which is probably true, but from what I gathered from the abysmal opening the story is probably not even worth the time. Mechanically it fails as a stealth game and a shooter. Overall I was very disappointed because the idea of a spy rpg is a very good one.

Now, if you want a game that GAF hype didn't lead me wrong on, check out Binary Domain aka the closest thing we'll get to a non-shitty terminator game.

Maybe, I don't know, you should have played past the tutorial? Because that's when shit gets real in AP.

Miker

It's really shitty with a mouse, like catastrophically shitty. No I'm not going to play a 3rd person shooter on a controller on my PC.

That's understandable, and I do think Capcom screwed up the mouse controls pretty badly. I hate mouse acceleration as much as the next guy, and maybe more, given that I grew up playing UT/Quake, but since RE has always been such a console-focused series and having played 4/5 with a controller, I'm not too bummed out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Everyone jump on the Assassin's Creed 3 daily deal, for a whopping 30% off. Unless that's not the final discount or something. :p

They did recently lower the MSRP to 40$ from the 60$ that it was initially so that does help a bit.

Hopefully this nets us a 50% off for the Summer sale which will probably be my breaking point.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The Last Remnant - $2.00 at GMG w/ voucher GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ

If anyone here even slightly likes JRPGs, I suggest picking this up. It may be a little tough, but Square-Enix did try some new things and it's not as bad as reviewers said it was
Yep. Great RPG, chock-full of content and a steal at that price. It may feel a bit too arcane at first but the investment in understanding its systems definitely pays off.

Everyone jump on the Assassin's Creed 3 daily deal, for a whopping 30% off. Unless that's not the final discount or something. :p
YES! This gives me the perfect reason to talk about the game. I started it the other night, and six hours in I finally was turned loose, and have the assassins outfit and such.

The first six hours of the game are tutorials. I'd be more forgiving of this if this weren't the fifth Assassins Creed game I've played, but at this point it's ridiculously tedious to sit through.

The first three hours have you playing a character that isn't the main one. You learn his backstory, then tutorial for a while before going on an actual mission. After that you're led into your main character as a young boy. Tutorials. Now he's a teen. More tutorials. Finally six hours in, you don the Assassins hood, just in time for tutorials on losing notoriety! You rip down posters! Shock and awe!

Then there's the combat. They've taken the previous games controls (the semi marionette system) and thrown that out in favor of one button to interact. The combat system that I've come to really enjoy has been simplified down to two buttons, of which I'm awful at. One button to initiate a dodge, another to begin a counter. It only works for me like 25% of the time. Could be user error but I don't get why they're trying to fix something that wasn't in need of repair.

Also more often than not the game seems to warp you to the next mission start at the conclusion of one (though this may be a tutorial thing, but since 20% of the game is tutorials...). So you would finish a mission, as Animus stuff deconstructs the world before building it back, with you right in front of the mission trigger.

Also be ready for three of those six hours to be cut scenes. The game loves its cutscenes. And one of the three game play hours combines you walking around town following to someone who is talking to you, which is essentially a cutscene that you move the analogue stick around during.

I'm in the camp that has really enjoyed this series, all the way through, even AC: Revelations (which has some really unique DLC actually). So far though, AC3 seems to be holding the players hand to the point of muscle fatigue. Hope it turns around, but just know that you're in for a pretty arduous first 5-6 hours if you're thinking about grabbing it.

FloatOn

Maybe, I don't know, you should have played past the tutorial? Because that's when shit gets real in AP.

Perhaps. That word scramble hacking mini game was horrendous and I'd imagine I'd have to do many more of those through the length of the game.

Pipe mania in Bioshock was one thing but this was quite the other.

As a fan of the original Risen I can overlook quite a bit of "jank" but Alpha Protocol was just too much for me. Once a game feels like a chore, I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom