• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

Wooo Ubisoft what a deal thanks!!1!!one

I mean, I've seen this game going for less than 15£ on consoles. You screwed it up and already have a rushed sequel in the works. 20€ should be the base price. Jesus, Ubi.

Symphonic

It's really shitty with a mouse, like catastrophically shitty. No I'm not going to play a 3rd person shooter on a controller on my PC.

I don't get this. Is this a popular opinion? I'm a PC gamer through and through and a controller with third person shooters just feels better.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So do I, they were a lot of fun, allowed me to revisit some games and give others a chance.
The lack of those in the last two big sales was really disappointing.
Vale did that on purpose, I'm sure of that. I start using Steam, and my first big sale (which happened a week later) is the one they decided to stop doing those metagames.

I'm sorry guys, I ruined it for everyone :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't get this. Is this a popular opinion? I'm a PC gamer through and through and a controller with third person shooters just feels better.

Fortunately no. The diehard use-KBM for-everything people are a pretty small annoying as shit subset.

Their leader is TotalBiscuit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

For me it depends on how much emphasis is placed on having precise aim. Something like Batman: Arkham Asylum (not a third-person shooter, but I digress) I prefer to play with a controller whereas Max Payne 3 greatly benefits from the tighter reticule control offered by a kb&m.

First person KB+M, third person controller is generally a safe bet. There are other games built specifically for KB+M or controllers too.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Aiming with an analog stick feels like having your balls punctured with a million little spears. I'd take the spears.

Symphonic

Fortunately no. The diehard use-KBM for-everything people are a pretty small annoying as shit subset.

I mean for games designed around it (RTS and sim) and FPSes, I totally get it.

But most third-person shooters nowadays are designed for controllers. And if you use a fucking KBM for racing games, you're retarded.

Miker

First person KB+M, third person controller is generally a safe bet. There are other games built specifically for KB+M or controllers too.

I somewhat agree. Max Payne and the Mass Effects are third person shooters I'd definitely want to play with a kb+m.

Meh, controller is only better than kbm in third person shooters with shitty kbm controls. It's pretty much just stuff like action/adventure games, platformers and games with significant amounts of driving where controller is almost always preferable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I mean for games designed around it (RTS and sim) and FPSes, I totally get it.

But most third-person shooters nowadays are designed for controllers. And if you use a fucking KBM for racing games, you're retarded.

Nah brah. There is no way that devs designed a third person shooter that is being sold on 3 consoles right now in a way that would make playing with a controller not only feasible, but not an excruciating emotional experience.

Kassu

Banned
I had to change from KB/M to controller while playing Tomb Raider just because of stupid QTEs. If you're playing with KB they just show abstract symbols in QTEs and I kept dying because I had no idea what button to press.

Wok

Which is the foil badge? get all the foil cards and exchange them for a badge?

Exactly. You have to craft foil cards (each being worth about 20 dollars at the moment) into a foil badge (worth nothing). Foil cards are expensive because:
  1. drops do not occur for people at a level less than 10,
  2. in order to reach level 10 with a newly created account, you would need to spend something like $50 on the Steam Market,
  3. even if you are at a level higher than 10 or equal to 10, drops of foil cards are very rare,
  4. drops do not reset, which means you only get about 4 drops per level 10 account.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Third person shooter, Xbox 360 controller.
First person shooter, Mouse and keyboard.

If anybody tells you anything different from that, you can just laugh at them.

Controller is my preferred control scheme for almost any game, FPS or TPS. I did switch from controller to mouse for Syndicate because it felt like molasses.
Even using the mouse, it felt horrible.

Blizzard

Banned
Third person shooter, Xbox 360 controller.
First person shooter, Mouse and keyboard.

If anybody tells you anything different from that, you can just laugh at them.
This is probably the optimal solution, but I'm of the opinion that having options is generally better than not having them. I'd rather be able to play with either control system for a game rather than have the developer force one on me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is probably the optimal solution, but I'm of the opinion that having options is generally better than not having them. I'd rather be able to play with either control system for a game rather than have the developer force one on me.

Well, sure. If you don't have a 360 controller, having the option to play a third person game with keyboard+mouse is totally valid.

Even if a person doesn't have a 360 controller and he or she prefers to play a third person shooter with keyboard+mouse, I believe they should have the option to do so.

They'll just be going with the wrong option, but that's their problem. We on the PC crowd don't hate, we just ridicule, but we accept all.

Well, sure. If you don't have a 360 controller, having the option to play a third person game with keyboard+mouse is totally valid.

Even if a person doesn't have a 360 controller and he or she prefers to play a third person shooter with keyboard+mouse, I believe they should have the option to do so.

They'll just be going with the wrong option, but that's their problem. We on the PC crowd don't hate, we just ridicule, but we accept all.

Normally I'd agree for 3rd person action games, but I found with the latest tomb raider on hard using only the bow, that I couldn't line up my shots fast enough before getting staggered by the enemies arrows. QTE's on KB were annoying, but luckily they were mostly front-ended in that game. But yeah played every other tomb raider game with a controller (helps in the others that she has a pretty easy shooting, its more about jumping and dodging enemies).

Blizzard

Banned
So, like I've done with Cargo Commander and Mirror's Edge, when I think games are worth playing, I try to put my money where my mouth is and encourage other people to play them as a small way of increasing publicity for the game.

This time around it's Call of Juarez Gunslinger. $15 on Steam, and it's already had a patch to allow FOV configuration, fix some stuttering, and add some other options/bugfixes (though I did not run into a single bug in my first playthrough, as far as I know).

Disclaimer: As always, I am not affiliated with anyone who made the game, and am merely encouraging support for it because I enjoyed it. I have only purchased 5 games on Steam in 2013 (and 10 in 2012, maybe?) and this is the only one of those games I've finished in that two year period, unless I'm missing something. On normal difficulty, it took me probably 5-6 hours to play through taking my time. I'd roughly guess I got about half of the unlockables nuggets of truth, little informational cards about the old west hidden throughout the game. With new game+ you start with whatever skills you unlocked, so later playthroughs may go down to 2-3 hours.

So what is Gunslinger? Most people may have heard of the first two Call of Juarez games, and the terribly-received modern Cartel version. Gunslinger is a return to the old west style of the Juarez games, and a shorter, more focused experience. It is similar to an arcade shooting gallery with a lot of fast-paced action, but FPS-style movement and linear level design. There is no third-person cover view. If you duck to hide, you can't see. The gunplay is very satisfying, with sawed off shotguns, rifle headshots, and so forth. There are lots of little items of polish that make the game as a whole better than the sum of the parts, but it would probably take too long to go into all of those. Just to provide a brief example, when there are QTE's in the game, they are done "right" in a sense -- they make sense in the game, and even if you fail them they do not make you die. You can then get a chance to dodge Matrix-style, and/or take enemies out the normal fashion. It's more of an occasional reflex thing where you might take out an enemy sneaking up behind you.

Overall, everything forms a pretty cohesive whole, with art style, unlockable skills, shooting, voice acting, soundtrack, plot, and hidden wild west info cards blending together. The game works with M/KB, controller, or apparently both at the same time in case you want to do the occasional duels with the 360 controller. The duels were probably one of my least favorite parts, but the Steam patch already provided an extra mouse sensitivity option specifically for duels, and apparently they are also easier on controllers.

Some of the best and most unique/unexpected parts of the game are the soundtrack, which is good and has occasional Morricone style bits thrown in, the voice acting, which is classic old west narration, and how the narration and gameplay work together. I prefer not to give too many moments away since it is great when they are unexpected, but the basic idea is that a crazy old guy is drinking in a bar and telling his story in narration form as you play out his history. However, in parts someone may object and say "but I totally read in this dime novel that it was actually HIGH NOON and you were on the ROOF and did THUS AND SO", and things will suddenly rewind, the level will abruptly pause or change, and you will play through the same situation from a different perspective. It works great and is sometimes pretty funny.

I think the game is good. Not the best game ever or anything, but very good for $15. Having gushed enough, here are some quick video links.

To give you an idea of the voice acting and soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2EzlQBRzJA

To give you an idea of the gunplay (though the video inexplicably features surf guitar which you can probably disregard :p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROtGsZNVwk

Review by a GAF person from the official thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbyixFFd2Hw

Official thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562777

Finally, the giveaways. I'm buying four copies on Steam for the first four people who meet the following rules (I'm trusting you on the first two), so read carefully.

• You must like the wild west cowboy aesthetic, spaghetti western style, etc.
  • You must be interested in playing the game and willing to download and try it, not just collect it.
  • You must send me a PM with the following text copied and pasted: "I promise to play the game for at least 1 hour and post some feedback in either the Steam thread or the Gunslinger thread."

I will edit this post once 4 people have PM'd me with the above text. Good luck!

ALL GONE. I'll start getting Steam info via PM for the winners.

Miker

Fingers crossed I was one of the winners. I played the demo of Bound in Blood and really liked it, but never bothered picking up the full game.

I had to change from KB/M to controller while playing Tomb Raider just because of stupid QTEs. If you're playing with KB they just show abstract symbols in QTEs and I kept dying because I had no idea what button to press.

Did you try it recently? I'm going through right now with KB/M and the QTEs show up perfectly fine. It's basically nothing more than hitting left and right or pressing "F." Simple stuff.

I go back and forth between KB/M and the 360 controller. Certain games, like sports games or driving stuff, the controller wins hands-down. Most third person games do, too. The issue is if they require precise aiming, I'll go with the mouse every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom