• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momentary

Banned
Bought Last Remnant and just fired it up. So far the dialogue (woman finds it unbelievable that a crystal protects a kid when 5 minutes prior someone just cast a magic blast from a cannon) and the over dramatic motion capturing in cut scenes almost has me throwing up. But it's only the first 20 minutes. Hopefully the gameplay mechanics redeem this for me. I only paid 2 bucks for it so I should stop complaining for that price.

xJavonta

Banned
Fortunately no. The diehard use-KBM for-everything people are a pretty small annoying as shit subset.

Their leader is TotalBiscuit.
I laughed at this, especially the last part. So true.

I even prefer a controller for some FPSes, like Bioshock (fucking 2 didn't have support). For CS M/KB all the way.

zkylon

zkylewd
Bought Last Remnant and just fired it up. So far the dialogue (woman finds it unbelievable that a crystal protects a kid when 5 minutes prior someone just cast a magic blast from a cannon) and the over dramatic motion capturing in cut scenes almost has me throwing up. But it's only the first 20 minutes. Hopefully the gameplay mechanics redeem this for me. I only paid 2 bucks for it so I should stop complaining for that price.

wait until emma starts doing her thing

that game's all about the emma

Blizzard

Banned
did they remove the cover mechanics from the new call of juarez game?

looked like it from the gb quick look
I haven't played Bound in Blood or the original CoJ in a while, but this game has no sticky cover or third person view at all that I noticed. You can duck behind rocks, walls, etc., you can sometimes kill enemies through bits of cover for bonuses, but when you hide you can't see anything since it's first person view.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played Bound in Blood or the original CoJ in a while, but this game has no sticky cover or third person view at all that I noticed. You can duck behind rocks, walls, etc., you can sometimes kill enemies through bits of cover for bonuses, but when you hide you can't see anything since it's first person view.

it had a weird first person cover system and you leaned a bit out of it, something like that

kinda like killzone's I think

Exeunt

Morrowind is really cool, but man do I suck at following the directions that I'm given. I followed a river out of town to go collect mushrooms, but instead I ended up at some place called Ghostgate where nobody really liked me and cursed enemies are supposedly lurking; now I'm in the middle of some fortress. I then realized that I saw glowing mushrooms on my way to Balmora—"south" must have been the other way. Oops.

I didn't find any treasure or anything but at least I've upped my long blade skills a little. I'm sort of getting used to the combat... for ground enemies. Those Cliff Racers though... There are so many of them, and they are so hard to hit! I've been resting a lot in the wilderness, and I turned off the autosave when you sleep so I don't get woken up by a bear eating my character or something. If that even happens.

Addnan

it had a weird first person cover system and you leaned a bit out of it, something like that

kinda like killzone's I think
It seems to have something similar. When you crouch and lean against the cover it holds the gun up as if leaning against the cover, but clicking aim doesn't make it sit against the cover and aim over.

sixghost

Third person shooter, Xbox 360 controller.
First person shooter, Mouse and keyboard.

If anybody tells you anything different from that, you can just laugh at them.

That's my general rule as well, but mostly because console 3PS games tend to have terrible mouse implementation. Playing Binary Domain with a mouse with like my worst nightmare.

Blizzard

Banned
It seems to have something similar. When you crouch and lean against the cover it holds the gun up as if leaning against the cover, but clicking aim doesn't make it sit against the cover and aim over.
Hmm, I'll have to pay more attention to that. I just treated it as "crouch when behind cover, pop up from crouch to shoot". Sprinting also makes you pop up from crouching. The gun animation may just be an environmental effect.

Third person shooter, Xbox 360 controller.
First person shooter, Mouse and keyboard.

If anybody tells you anything different from that, you can just laugh at them.

Naw even for 3rd person shooters i prefer M/KB. It's the same as fps just that you see the dude/gal. Same benefits.

Kassu

Banned
Did you try it recently? I'm going through right now with KB/M and the QTEs show up perfectly fine. It's basically nothing more than hitting left and right or pressing "F." Simple stuff.
Well I had some problems with those or at least they were a lot simpler with controller. Also if I remember correctly there was a quite annoying section pretty early in the game where I kept having problems with KB/M which finally made me to switch to controller completely. Oh well, game is designed for the controller anyway so it's not a huge loss though aiming is harder now.

-Mikey-

I made my way through the fast and the furious franchise this weekend and now I want a racing game to play. Hopefully there is something good to recommend on Steam, but I don't mind settling for Origin.

Blizzard

Banned
I made my way through the fast and the furious franchise this weekend and now I want a racing game to play. Hopefully there is something good to recommend on Steam, but I don't mind settling for Origin.
Arcade, simulation, open-world, etc., any specific preferences?

HoosTrax

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and GRID

(in all honesty though, Need for Speed: Underground 2 is basically a [non-shitty] game adaptation of Fast and the Furious, it's just a shame it's not very modern and they haven't made a newer version)

metalshade

As someone primarily interested in singleplayer experiences, is the unreal bundle sale of any interest to me? I have never played anything like it, having been a console only guy until 18 months ago, and I am intimidated by the knowledge that the multiplayer parts are only really played by highly skilled players, it would be pointless me even bothering.

Noogy

As someone primarily interested in singleplayer experiences, is the unreal bundle sale of any interest to me? I have never played anything like it, having been a console only guy until 18 months ago, and I am intimidated by the knowledge that the multiplayer parts are only really played by highly skilled players, it would be pointless me even bothering.

Unreal is still one of my favorite single player FPS games, though it's hard to say how much impact it'll have today. At the time ... well, I can't even put into words how amazing it was. And compared to modern shooters, it is LONG.

Unreal 2 is a much lesser game. Most of the UT games have pretty good bot support, which is actually how I like to play them if I need a quick fix. In fact, playing a lot of UT with bots might be a great way for you to warm up to playing real Multiplayer.

And of course, if you DO want to jump into MP, UT is unsurpassed. I even love UT3. Great bundle really.

Edit: In fact, typing this out has tempted me into making tonight an evening of all things Unreal. Been a while.

I can't seem to get into New Vegas. I played through Fallout 3 back when it released and thought it was quite good. Really enjoyed it (apart from the over the top violence). Bought New Vegas several Steam sales ago and tried to play it several times. I always stop after 3-5 hours. I just lose interest soo quickly. Don't know why. :(
same for me.

metalshade

Unreal is still one of my favorite single player FPS games, though it's hard to say how much impact it'll have today. At the time ... well, I can't even put into words how amazing it was. And compared to modern shooters, it is LONG.

Edit: In fact, typing this out has tempted me into making tonight an evening of all things Unreal. Been a while.

Thanks for taking the time dude.
I've been watching some reviews as well, and it seems that as much of a scifi geek as I am, unreal doesn't seem likely to satisfy. Also, the multiplayer looks like something that could be really awesome, but I don't have the time to dedicate to getting good enough at it to really enjoy it, not with a backlog of all pc history to get through.
Don't think I will be joining you for your unreal night man, but thanks very much, I will certainly pay attention if a new iteration is announced.

Caerith

Only played Unreal Tournament myself, but had a lot of fun with it back in the day. Even if you can't find other players (or don't want to), UT has the best bots I've ever seen.

I can't seem to get into New Vegas. I played through Fallout 3 back when it released and thought it was quite good. Really enjoyed it (apart from the over the top violence). Bought New Vegas several Steam sales ago and tried to play it several times. I always stop after 3-5 hours. I just lose interest soo quickly. Don't know why. :(
I just stopped my first playthrough of New Vegas after 194 hours. I'm on the fence about playing something else from my backlog, or starting a new character in New Vegas.

Acorn

You know, I was the exact same way. I enjoyed Fallout 3 immensely but when I started to play New Vegas, I simply could not get into it and thought it was pretty much inferior to Fallout 3. But one day I decided why the hell not, let's try it again. And man did it just click. I feel so tense making story decisions in that game its crazy. I absolutely love it now. Your best choice is to come back to New Vegas after a while. It was probably like a year or two until I picked it up again but it'll probably be different for you.

Its because Obsidians open world building sucks ass. Bethesda are masters of making you want to explore every little thing in the distance.

The quests are better but everything else is the same or worse than F3.

zkylon

zkylewd
I just stopped my first playthrough of New Vegas after 194 hours. I'm on the fence about playing something else from my backlog, or starting a new character in New Vegas.
I've beaten it like 6 times, you can always find new fun stuff to do, it's great

ally yourself with the legion/ncr, go pacifist, be a neutral scumbag, specialize in explosives or sneaking or melee, etc. etc.

it's not quite fallout 2 but it's pretty close

Grief.exe

I can only play an AC game once every few years.

Just get tired of the press X to win, press A for awesome, shallow gameplay.

I've played 1 and finished up 2 at the end of last year. Barely got through that one, the repetitive quest design almost blew it.

Watevaman

I've played 1 and finished up 2 at the end of last year. Barely got through that one, the repetitive quest design almost blew it.

I was the same way until 3 hit. I started with playing 2 one winter break, then Brohood the next, and finished Revelations in January of 2012. But something about the negative reaction to 3 means that this was the first winter without one.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been following Rise Of The Triad for ages and hopefully it'll be seeing release in the next few months.

Anyway, whilst reading their twitter recently someone asked them if it was coming to console. Their response:

eo4VcpR.jpg

Must admit it gave me a chuckle.

Pretty much this. AC2 was a rare game that I finished and really enjoyed. But it also made me hate the series and never want to play another second of an AC game ever again.

Also uplay.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I played a little bit of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter after 5 months without touching it (finished the 2nd level), and I'm really not feeling it. I enjoyed the first one, but this feels like such a chore. I forced myself to complete the level, and I must admit I'm growing tired of having to deal with the massive waves of enemies (which is exactly what the game is about), so I can't see myself beating the game anytime soon. Which is a shame, as I'd like to play SS2 and 3.

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah I just got soured out of their copy paste "content" design and the simplistic mechanics.

by now they're good games to buy for cheap and play in non-ocd mode, so you can admire some pretty old towns

Overdoziz

Banned
People overreact with AC3. Sure, it could've used more actual assassination mission and less filler, but overall I think it was a pretty good game. I loved freerunning through the forest and doing the naval missions.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been following Rise Of The Triad for ages and hopefully it'll be seeing release in the next few months.

Anyway, whilst reading their twitter recently someone asked them if it was coming to console. Their response:

Must admit it gave me a chuckle.
Seeing the Apogee logo gave me an incredible rush of nostalgia, even though I never liked the original RotT.

I played a little bit of Serious Sam: The Second Encounter after 5 months without touching it (finished the 2nd level), and I'm really not feeling it. I enjoyed the first one, but this feels like such a chore. I forced myself to complete the level, and I must admit I'm growing tired of having to deal with the massive waves of enemies (which is exactly what the game is about), so I can't see myself beating the game anytime soon. Which is a shame, as I'd like to play SS2 and 3.

Three is underrated I think. It isn't perfect and it almost went the other way too far in terms of lack of big waves.... But for some reason it clicked a lot better for me than replaying the older ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom