• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Three is underrated I think. It isn't perfect and it almost went the other way too far in terms of lack of big waves.... But for some reason it clicked a lot better for me than replaying the older ones.
This is nice to hear. A friend hyped me a lot on SS2 (which is the reason I bought the franchise pack), and another one is always bugging me to play the third (or fourth, if we count TFE and TSE as separate games).

The reason I haven't started any of those yet is that I don't like skipping games in a franchise if I own them all. It wouldn't be a problem if TSE wasn't already on my library, I believe.

People overreact with AC3. Sure, it could've used more actual assassination mission and less filler, but overall I think it was a pretty good game. I loved freerunning through the forest and doing the naval missions.

I thought the Naval missions were the best part of the game really. Story wasn't the best and they could have done better with the weapons.

People overreact with AC3. Sure, it could've used more actual assassination mission and less filler, but overall I think it was a pretty good game. I loved freerunning through the forest and doing the naval missions.

My main issue with the game is how long it takes to get going, and the amount of cutscenes it throws at you in the process. I knew that the character I was playing as for the first few hours wasn't the main character, and knew that once that section was over that I would have to sit through the same character introduction stuff again for a few more hours. The fact that I'm on sequence 7/12 and I'm just now finally getting turned loose is what bugs me most.

The filler stuff that they've included doesn't bother me as much because I can look past it, but the double whammy of building a character up from the start twice with endless cutscenes does.

I'm still totally playing it, and I'll see it through because I might as well (plus these games help me tear through audiobooks like no tomorrow), but it's just disappointing so far.

EDIT: And I don't know if it's just because it's dealing with a period of history I'm more familiar with, or what, but this game is totally Forrest Gump-ing Connor into every important situation in early American history. So far I've
participated, and thrown the final crate of tea into the harbor at the Boston Tea Party
and now I'm
piloting the horse that Paul Revere is riding on the back of, where he will most likely announce that 'the British are coming!'

I know that bro-ing down with Da Vinci, and Machiavelli is pretty Gump-y, but talking about the merits of bedding older women with Ben Franklin, and the above scenarios seems more goofy than usual.

Joe Molotov

I just got a friend request from Nabe Gewell, whose user text is:

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
SHUT UP AND ENJOY T H E  G A B E N
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

This seems like a good person. However, he's only a Lv 4, way below my standards.

Sober

My main issue with the game is how long it takes to get going, and the amount of cutscenes it throws at you in the process. I knew that the character I was playing as for the first few hours wasn't the main character, and knew that once that section was over that I would have to sit through the same character introduction stuff again for a few more hours. The fact that I'm on sequence 7/12 and I'm just now finally getting turned loose is what bugs me most.

The filler stuff that they've included doesn't bother me as much because I can look past it, but the double whammy of building a character up from the start twice with endless cutscenes does.

I'm still totally playing it, and I'll see it through because I might as well (plus these games help me tear through audiobooks like no tomorrow), but it's just disappointing so far.
No, AC3 even into sequence 7 is like super controlled, not-so-open part of the game. It really only opens up in 10 or so, which is coincidentally when the crafting/trading portion of the game actually allows you to actually make things that aren't barrels.

Crafting was also useless, it was already unbearable when it was just bombs in ACR. Now it's like a goddamn meta-thing you never really experience and simple things like ammo and arrows require your homestead people to level up. Problem is you can't even start leveling them up until maybe sequence 8 at the earliest.

Sidenote: The Homestead missions were the second best thing in the game because they weren't any bit related to the main storyline. The best thing in the game? The naval missions.

Fortunately no. The diehard use-KBM for-everything people are a pretty small annoying as shit subset.

Their leader is TotalBiscuit.
I think if you have the option of KBM or controller, use whatever you feel like. Eventually you'll get a feel for it if you put the time into it and it's all muscle memory at that point. Something like Dark Souls is really suited to a controller but my brother is totally kicking relatively good amounts of ass and is only using KBM with that. I'm sure you can also play a shooter (first or third) with a controller and still enjoy it. I personally don't mind a controller for a third person shooter if it's less about precision and more about just other things (like RF: Guerilla or JC2). Ironically I played the Dead Space games with a controller so I am a giant hypocrite.

Although you can also play online shooters with a controller (CS:GO, BF3), just don't complain when you do poorly against people with kb/m.

Salaadin

Im in the mood for a God of War esque hack and slashy action game. Does anyone have any suggestions here? I see some Blades of Time game...is that any good? Reviews are mixed.

Grief.exe

I would get it for PS3 if TLOU wasn't coming out and I need $80 for the collector's edition.

Talking in Steam thread about super expensive console game.

That's a paddlin'

TLOU looks very compelling though, but $80?

And you have to miss out on other games because of it? Not PC-gamer friendly

Talking in Steam thread about super expensive console game.

That's a paddlin'

TLOU looks very compelling though, but $80?

And you have to miss out on other games because of it? Not PC-gamer friendly

But I'm a collector man! I love what they are adding to it enough to make me feel that its worth the price. :)

Anyways I'll keep the console talk to a minimum. :p

spectros4

Neo Member
DayZ standalone can't come out soon enough.
Fixed.
But seriously, it's great to hear Metal Gear Rising is coming out on PC. I remember when the game was first announced, it was up in the air, but apparently the game must have sold well enough to warrant a PC release.

Grief.exe

Fixed.
But seriously, it's great to hear Metal Gear Rising is coming out on PC. I remember when the game was first announced, it was up in the air, but apparently the game must have sold well enough to warrant a PC release.

Rocket was back in Prague today, getting up to speed on Day Z. He said there were some huge improvements since he has been gone.

Hope to hear some kind of an update tomorrow and hopefully beta will go up soon.

Hex

Banned
Need some help, there was a space game and mech game on Steam I was really looking forward to and now I have lost track and now I hear there is even a sequel.
What was it?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Nabs, Addnan, CheesecakeRecipe, and Miker got it. For everyone else, consider the game videos etc. It's pretty sweet. :)

As per our agreement:

ibmTdbxq105byq.jpg

Fuck what you heard about Call of Juarez. The Cartel didn't happen. Scratch it from the record, your honor. BiB is cool, and the original is too but those guys are of a completely different breed than Gunslinger. Silas Greaves, a bounty hunter with a flair for the dramatic and the best (or worst) luck in all of the west comes sauntering on into a saloon one day and upon being recognized by patrons he offers to tell them the real deal about many of the stories that had been fabricated about him and put into print. CoJ: Gunslinger allows us to walk through the frames of his tall tales and act out his campfire pulp.

You see, Silas' mouth runs about as fast as his trigger finger shoots 'n sometimes it gets away from him. In a move that puts Dragon Age 2's "Storyteller" mechanic to shame, Gunslinger goes off the rails on occasion and messes with non-linearity in entertaining ways. In a few instances it may feel like a cheap extension of a stage's lifespan but the dialog and added humor of these moments more than make up for having to backtrack. At one point, he excuses himself and the game sticks the player in a loop until he returns. It may seem invasive, but only if you're a soulless husk of a human being.

In between bouts of Silas flapping his gums with the bar patrons is a meaty and extremely fun arcade shooter that made me fill up with glee. The western genre is just not represented enough and Gunslinger's mechanics play out very smoothly. Guns have genuine oomf to them and getting a string of headshots on moving targets in rapid succession to build up a chain for higher XP is goddamn satisfying. Silas can employ shotguns, revolvers and long rifles as well as sticks of TNT to win the wild west and they all kill stuff dead with noticeable power. Occasionally he'll get into a quick-draw shootout which has its own set of mechanics that require you to be paying full attention.

Did I mention this game is gorgeous?

Because yeah, it's gorgeous. Whoever nailed it as "Borderlands in Source 2" really said it. If you look closely you can see the seams in a level and there are noticeable shortcuts the devs took for performance but the style puts it visually on the level with higher budget titles.

iJ8C2Y3mawk8w.jpg

It wasn't that I felt that I had to, it's more that I wanted to. CoJ: Gunslinger is all about having fun. The whole XP thing takes a backseat to the madness and all it ever lets you do is earn more bonuses to kill faster than you could 2 seconds ago. After the campaign (Which I haven't finished yet, at about 5 hours in) there are arcade modes you can turn to for more fun and seem like they could be great for a burst of senseless violence. I felt compelled to keep going forward and it wasn't until my stomach was punching itself to get me to grab food that I really stopped and I think that's pretty telling on just how engaging Gunslinger is without needing some heady plotline and faux religious outrage mumbo jumbo.

Take this Spanish Coin and hand it to The Newell for a copy of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. I won't have it said I left you with nothin', boy. (Big thanks to Blizzard for his giveaway. He should know I love writin about games just as much as I like playing them.)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
$20? Too much for a couple of games that I don't know if I'll like. I'll wait for a better sale.
It's a game of space mechs, what more do you need?

I'm weak

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
[Gamestop] - 50% off Square-Enix sale

Caerith

Its because Obsidians open world building sucks ass. Bethesda are masters of making you want to explore every little thing in the distance.

The quests are better but everything else is the same or worse than F3.
One thing I never understood with Fallout 3... what do they eat?

I've beaten it like 6 times, you can always find new fun stuff to do, it's great

ally yourself with the legion/ncr, go pacifist, be a neutral scumbag, specialize in explosives or sneaking or melee, etc. etc.

it's not quite fallout 2 but it's pretty close
I built my character as an even-handed peace-loving lady-ronin. I hacked every computer, picked every lock, resolved every conflict through the most peaceful, fair means I could find... and picked all the perks related to light armor and melee. I avoided conflict where possible, mercilessly cut down those who were beyond redemption, and humiliated the Legion when Lanius was brutally slain while fleeing from a woman.

Next time, I'm going to do a hardcore Logan's Loophole/Wild Wasteland gunslinger, because I want to try out hand loading and I figure doing lots of drugs segues into Wild Wasteland rather nicely.

zkylon

zkylewd
I built my character as an even-handed peace-loving lady-ronin. I hacked every computer, picked every lock, resolved every conflict through the most peaceful, fair means I could find... and picked all the perks related to light armor and melee. I avoided conflict where possible, mercilessly cut down those who were beyond redemption, and humiliated the Legion when Lanius was brutally slain while fleeing from a woman.

Next time, I'm going to do a hardcore Logan's Loophole/Wild Wasteland gunslinger, because I want to try out hand loading and I figure doing lots of drugs segues into Wild Wasteland rather nicely.
that's cool

I like making "flawed" characters a lot

like hook them on drugs or booze early on to make them addicts, or forbid myself from drinking water that's not purified, or breaking a leg and playing the whole game on a limp, or make a dude that gets violent easily to his own detriment, shit like that

I'll play it like that for a while and eventually drop it, but it's fun

Deques

Sherlock Holmes games in a bundle now live. All Steam redeemable

Minimum price: $1.50

• Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of The Baskervilles
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring
  • Sherlock Holmes - Nemesis
  • Dracula Origin
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet

3 bonuses
First is DRACULA: LOVE KILLS

Edit: Xelios beat me >.<
Edit 2: It's a build a bundle. You wont get the entire bundle for the minimum price
Edit 3: The minimum for the entire bundle is $4.50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom