• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

Sherlock Holmes games in a bundle now live. All Steam redeemable

Minimum price: $1.50

• Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of The Baskervilles
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring
  • Sherlock Holmes - Nemesis
  • Dracula Origin
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet
I'm curious: I only have The Awakened (never even launched yet), are there other Sherlock games worth buying?

Caerith

Two headed cows and canned goods. Also 'mystery' meat. Now that I think about it, there's something like a half dozen quests related to people's dietary habits in Fallout 3.
What do the two-headed cows eat? Where do people find enough canned goods to sustain an entire society?

Although some say New Vegas has no world-building, I really appreciate the attention to ecosystem it's been given.

that's cool

I like making "flawed" characters a lot

like hook them on drugs or booze early on to make them addicts, or forbid myself from drinking water that's not purified, or breaking a leg and playing the whole game on a limp, or make a dude that gets violent easily to his own detriment, shit like that

I'll play it like that for a while and eventually drop it, but it's fun
I would get too impatient for that. Best thing about light armor is all the movement speed enhancements, sneaking around at a full sprint and stuff. Although my WW character is definitely going straight for the stealth suit-- I mean, a codependent body suit that talks to you is perfect for a drug-user in WW mode.

zkylon

zkylewd
What do the two-headed cows eat? Where do people find enough canned goods to sustain an entire society?

Although some say New Vegas has no world-building, I really appreciate the attention to ecosystem it's been given.
I never get why people are so amazed with bethesda's world building, all I remember of fallout 3 is ruins ruins ruins ruins ruins

some places were really good, I really liked the starting area, the first mall you explore and parts of dc were pretty cool, but generally speaking, it's not leaps and bounds over new vegas

imo it's way worse since most quests in fo3 suck so all the payoff for exploring is a couple items at best

I would get too impatient for that. Best thing about light armor is all the movement speed enhancements, sneaking around at a full sprint and stuff. Although my WW character is definitely going straight for the stealth suit-- I mean, a codependent body suit that talks to you is perfect for a drug-user in WW mode.
lol yeah, I'm just kind of insane about the game to be constantly thinking of new shit to try and roleplay

I play by a lot of self imposed rules too, like not being able to sleep or fix my broken bones at dangerous areas, or taking some of my clothes off to swim, dumb shit like that :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god why is my Greenlight page Spanish in web browser? I clicked the English referral but that only works in Store!

Acorn

Sherlock Holmes games in a bundle now live. All Steam redeemable

Minimum price: $1.50

• Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of The Baskervilles
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Mummy
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Silver Earring
  • Sherlock Holmes - Nemesis
  • Dracula Origin
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet

3 bonuses
First is DRACULA: LOVE KILLS

Edit: Xelios beat me >.<
Edit 2: It's a build a bundle. You wont get the entire bundle for the minimum price
Edit 3: The minimum for the entire bundle is $4.50

Are those the same games as the ones that spawned evil watson?

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that. Do we have any estimates as to the length of the campaign?

I estimate "disappointingly short" or "long outstays it's welcome".

Given I think they are going for that discarded mirror's edge money, I'd bet on the first.

Aaron

The grass and weeds that are everywhere. Some of these patches are irradiated, but the cows don't seem to mind. There's probably a process by which they leech the radiation out that is their means to survive. While almost everyone is dead in the Wasteland. The areas you see in the games are some of the most populated. That leaves plenty of canned goods on the surface, plus the vaults were built to sustain people underground for at least a hundred years. Things might be starting to reach a point of scarcity, but I think it's pretty obvious what people eat. This isn't Lord of the Rings, where orcs apparently live off rocks.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Imma pick up X-Com when it comes on sale in Amazon, but with Sleeping Dogs Complete at 13 bucks at 29th, should I get it as well? Is Sleeping Dogs GTA done right?

Greenlight uses the steamcommunity.com domain while the store uses steampowered.com. (Click me!)

Ahh thanks. You're a life saver :3

Imma pick up X-Com when it comes on sale in Amazon, but with Sleeping Dogs Complete at 13 bucks at 29th, should I get it as well? Is Sleeping Dogs GTA done right?

Ahh thanks. You're a life saver :3
Let me get this straight? You're asking if Sleeping Dogs Complete is worth it at $13? It's more melee combat oriented with firearms as temporarily power ups. The costumes and bonuses with them are a nice touch. I would buy it again if I didn't already own it. It's motherfucking Wei Shen!
The red envelope dlc may make it too easy though. Also that one dlc that gives extra face exp too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I estimate "disappointingly short" or "long outstays it's welcome".

Given I think they are going for that discarded mirror's edge money, I'd bet on the first.

Sadly, you're probably right. :(

I can't remember the length.

UXrz6BB.gif

Whats worse, a game that overstays it welcome or a game that is too short?

Depends on the price, if I paid 50 bucks for a three hour game, I'd be pissed, on the other hand if a game overstays its welcome and I paid 5 bucks, I'd take a break until I can be bothered to finish it.

Pandemic

Trying to get Sniper Elite V2 for a cheaper price than $50.. But I can't find anything :(

But apart from that, Assassins Creed 3, $28, worth it?!

JaseC

Trying to get Sniper Elite V2 for a cheaper price than $50.. But I can't find anything :(

But apart from that, Assassins Creed 3, $28, worth it?!

I love the AssCreed series overall, but 3's naval missions are literally the only aspect of the game that I particularly enjoyed. The game has a ton of content, but the quality of virtually all of it leaves little to be desired; even for fellow fans I'd say to wait until the price hits impulse buy territory.

zkylon

zkylewd

the first

your time is your most valuable thing, games that disrespect your time with filler repetitive content meant to ocd you into playing more (aka the ubisoft school of game design) suck

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Rionaa doesn't like getting games unless it comes with the entire catalog of side games and DLC.
Only the non-cosmetic DLC, mind you! But you're pretty much spot-on xD

I don't want my games to feel "incomplete". The problem is that after buying so much shit, I'll inevitable leave them uncompleted. And there's stuff I've yet to play due to lacking some piece of story/mission DLC (Sleepy Dawgs and Rage come to mind.)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The former. If a game is too short but great all the time, I may be pissed by the short length, but I would still like it a lot. If it's too long that I can't be bothered to finish it, that means it got boring and is something I won't remember fondly, nor will I ever want to beat/replay it, so its excessive length dragged the game down.

Go #TeamShort!

DagsJT

Games that overstay their welcome. I'm all for short games. With a backlog of games like I have, I'd rather a game took 5 hours and was great rather than 15 hours and felt like a chore towards the end.

Yeah much rather games just wrap it up. I've got plenty of games and you know there will be a sequel if you still want more. Time is not so easy to come by, and the clock counting down to death is always ticking.

More to the point, the old game design seemed to be:

Introduce challenge > gamer overcomes challenge, tells all their friends how amazing the game is > introduce new or harder challenge.

These days it is just:

Introduce challenge > gamer overcomes challenge, tells all their friends how amazing the game is > repeat the exact same thing for 15 more hours so it looks good in reviews.

Otherwise known as the "Sleeping Dogs", "Assassin's Creed" or "Tomb Raider" effect.

So if Remember Me is a 6-8 hour "Uncharted 2" ride of gaming goodness, I'll be very happy to play.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Short games are the best. Myself and two others picked up Unmechanical based purely off someone telling us it was like 2 hours long in this thread.

We all started and finished it in like the next 48 hours of the sale.

As a dev I would find that much more rewarding.

Short games are the best. Myself and two others picked up Unmechanical based purely off someone telling us it was like 2 hours long in this thread.

I agree completely. I find myself drawn more and more to games that are cheap and can be completed in one reasonable sitting. Unmechanical is a great example for that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Well, there's a limit to that too. I don't think something like 30 Flights of Loving/Gravity Bone could be that great, they only last 15 minutes. Sometimes a game can be too short, and that's not good either.

Addnan

Can someone explain the unlock with VPN.

GRID 2 is out tommorow in NA and if I unlock with VPN I am guessing I have to either go into offline mode or play with the VPN. What if I go online through my normal internet, guessing it will lock, but if I enable VPN again will it unlock again, or will I have to wait until Friday?

Pandemic

Quick question, I've noticed there are websites which sell game keys? Is it legal and are you allowed to purchase them to redeem on STEAM? Or is it not allowed?

Tomodachi

Quick question, I've noticed there are websites which sell game keys? Is it legal and are you allowed to purchase them to redeem on STEAM? Or is it not allowed?

Depends on the site. Even Amazon does that and Greenman gaming and others are totally fine, but there's a few shady resellers with lower than average prices that are banned and probably gets their keys in illegal ways.

JaseC

Can someone explain the unlock with VPN.

GRID 2 is out tommorow in NA and if I unlock with VPN I am guessing I have to either go into offline mode or play with the VPN. What if I go online through my normal internet, guessing it will lock, but if I enable VPN again will it unlock again, or will I have to wait until Friday?

If you disable the VPN, Steam will revert the "Play" button back to "Pre-load", but, yes, the game will unlock again when the VPN is re-enabled. It's also worth noting that disabling the VPN mid-game won't cause Steam to boot you back to the client or anything of the sort.

Gvaz

Banned
So I've been following Rise Of The Triad for ages and hopefully it'll be seeing release in the next few months.

Anyway, whilst reading their twitter recently someone asked them if it was coming to console. Their response:

Must admit it gave me a chuckle.

This makes me want to buy it, because I like their gumption in being honest. I don't even know anything about their game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
A good warning if the site is not legimate is if the site describes how to redeem keys using VPN connection
Luckily some sites offer to add the game for you if you just give them your Steam account password. That sounds legit indeed.

This makes me want to buy it, because I like their gumption in being honest. I don't even know anything about their game.
It's a remake of an old FPS that many people loved but I never saw the appeal of, to be honest.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If someone really give them their password then this someone really deserves being scammed ^^
I... well, a "friend" of mine... yeah, you know... shit happens, you trust the wrong people, and then... it was just one time... they seemed friendly enough...

joking, of course. I'm not THAT stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom