• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

Speaking of games not overstaying their welcome, howlongtobeat.com says Dishonored is only 11 hours. If that's true then I'm over halfway through, which sucks because I'm loving this.

Addnan

If you disable the VPN, Steam will revert the "Play" button back to "Pre-load", but, yes, the game will unlock again when the VPN is re-enabled. It's also worth noting that disabling the VPN mid-game won't cause Steam to boot you back to the client or anything of the sort.

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Speaking of games not overstaying their welcome, howlongtobeat.com says Dishonored is only 11 hours. If that's true then I'm over halfway through, which sucks because I'm loving this.

Dishonoured is going to vary highly. If you're doing a no kill/no detection run and abusing the shit out of saves, it's going to take you much longer than if you do a one man army sort of run.

Tomodachi

Yeah but that's the main story only. That is, if you go straight towards beating the game. It's a mean of 16 hours if you do more stuff than "necessary" and 30 hours if you want to 100% it (although, only 12 users submitted data for this scenario so that isn't necessarily the most reliable mean ever).

BTW did I mention how much I love howlongtobeat?
Yes I did, multiple times.
It has become an essential tool for me and my backlog.

I've plowed through about 8-10 games from my Steam backlog in the last few months, and I think I'm at the point were I'm burned out. I can't seem to get Fallout New Vegas mods working and I tried playing Alpha Protocol, but I got bored after 30 minutes.

Grief was right in saying sometimes it's just a matter of taking a break from gaming for a little while but more importantly I think it's a matter of playing games you WANT to play and being okay with putting a game down if you're not feeling it. I'm a big fan of platformers and had been trying to get my fix through a number of steam games as of late and most left me feeling like they were just a little off. We are seeing fantastic new ideas and experiences as gaming becomes accessible to more people (at a developer level) but as an aside there are certainly more "middling" experiences out there as a result. Playing a number of varied titles is part of what makes our hobby so intriguing and exciting but make sure you're seeking out the truly special games that come along only every so often.

To that end, I recently started playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D and it's reminding me of why I game. It's a masterful platformer that seems to have been given special care in every single moment, sound and sight. Just as one example, the way they slightly alter the main melody depending on the region you're in reminds me of the first time you jumped on Yoshi and the bongo drums kicked in in the background music on Super Mario World. Anyway, I'm off topic and droning on but to summarize; don't just play whatever is cheap or is sitting in your backlog, think about what you're into and be okay with not finishing a game if it's not grabbing you (that was the hardest change for me).

Whats worse, a game that overstays it welcome or a game that is too short?

Overstays it's welcome, easily.

Super Hexagon lasts no more than 3 seconds at times but is no worse for it. I would imagine you were speaking more towards narrative games though so to that end I would still say the same; "leave them wanting more" is a cliche for a reason.

metalshade

I gave up on dishonored to be honest. It just didn't draw me in. I played 14 hours and only just reached the front door of the golden cat. I don't even know how far into the game that is? I hope its like 3/4 done, or I might never bother and just delete it. The stealth is just so rubbish it hurts. I could do a fps approach, but that doesn't seem right.

Overstays. If a game is short, it'll at least open it up to a lot of replayability. Max Payne 2 is one of my favourite games, and its brisk pacing helps with that. More games need to cut the fat, but at the same time I don't think most games should be $60.

ShaneB

When a game is "too short" that generally implies what is there is good, and you want more. Why does it feel too short? The price you paid? Eh, that's certainly not much an issue lately since at least PC game sales and savings are so much, you get what you paid for is getting much more apt.

When a game overstays it's welcome, it just means there was that point where it was good, but it just burned out and the game design just felt like adding too much stuff.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I gave up on dishonored to be honest. It just didn't draw me in. I played 14 hours and only just reached the front door of the golden cat. I don't even know how far into the game that is? I hope its like 3/4 done, or I might never bother and just delete it. The stealth is just so rubbish it hurts. I could do a fps approach, but that doesn't seem right.

I don't even think that's the half way point lol.

Watevaman

I'm struggling to see how you could play for 14 hours and only reach the Golden Cat. I played stealth only and explored a ton and I was through in 15 hours.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

More like 1/3.

Acorn

Interesting responses, I never expected it to be so overwhelmingly against too long I thought it would be around a 60/40 split.

Hmm it was touched upon that the savings of pc make the value proposition much more palatable for games that are too short.

Do you think it would be the opposite for console only gamers due to relatively fixed prices?

Aaron

I beat the game all stealth with all side objectives in less time. Not sure what you were doing wrong when Dishonored is the fastest stealth game I've ever played.

metalshade

I don't even think that's the half way point lol.
Oh dear. I get the feeling I may never finish the game and discover who is pulling all the strings.

I like to take my time and do everything, and get every knockout perfect. No alarms, alerts, etc. I do the same with every game, even if they aren't designed for that, even normal fps games. This game was designed to do these things, and its just dull, but I can't quite tell why.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh dear. I get the feeling I may never finish the game and discover who is pulling all the strings.

I like to take my time and do everything, and get every knockout perfect. No alarms, alerts, etc. I do the same with every game, even if they aren't designed for that, even normal fps games. This game was designed to do these things, and its just dull, but I can't quite tell why.

You are playing it like you are a robot or something. Let loose a bit and enjoy yourself.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
14 hours to reach the Golden Cat is pretty crazy, I can't fathom what you could be doing in the stages that would take so long. I liked Dishonored a lot but I would probably be bored to tears too if I spent that much time in those areas.

My first playthrough was mostly stealth and exploring all inches, but not caring too much about not alerting people and just murdering them on the spot if they noticed me or if the section would take too long otherwise. Second run was total save abusing and speedrunning with no alerts/no kills. Doing it like this is the best way to go with this game imo.

ArjanN

14 hours to reach the Golden Cat is pretty crazy, I can't fathom what you could be doing in the stages that would take so long. I liked Dishonored a lot but I would probably be bored to tears too if I spent that much time in those areas.

My first playthrough was mostly stealth and exploring all inches, but not caring too much about not alerting people and just murdering them on the spot if they noticed me or if the section would take too long otherwise. Second run was total save abusing and speedrunning with no alerts/no kills. Doing it like this is the best way to go with this game imo.

Agreed, the game is set up to support multiple playing styles, and IMO it's more fun the first time through to just kill whenever you get caught and try experimenting with all the powers.

The full stealth playthrough works better on the second go.

metalshade

I always wondered why they had so many offensive skills and traps etc etc, it just seemed so counter intuitive to me, but I guess the whole idea is to mess around, rather than try to get it perfect, just try to get it done and deal with the consequences. Dunno if I could play like that. Seems like it might be fun though, with all those other mechanics I have been ignoring completely. Don't think I have ever fired the gun or used the sword yet. Definitely haven't used any traps yet.

I might give it another try you guys, with a liberal sprinkling of the old ultra violence.

Momentary

Banned
Thinking about waiting for Project CARS and shipping GRID 2. I was thinking of going with that or Gunslinger for something new to play to add to my backlog.

Addnan

Thinking about waiting for Project CARS and shipping GRID 2. I was thinking of going with that or Gunslinger for something new to play to add to my backlog.
Project cars is a while from getting released. If you need a car fix, you might as well buy grid 2. Gunslinger is a very good game, it's worth buying anyway.

Edit: Grid is not exactly the same as project cars, grid is more arcade racer project cars is simulator.

Is the Crusader Kings complete pack on Amazon Steamworks? Looks like there are 17 or so pieces with online codes while the others just say download. Does that mean the ones that are download cannot be registered via Steam???

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the Crusader Kings complete pack on Amazon Steamworks? Looks like there are 17 or so pieces with online codes while the others just say download. Does that mean the ones that are download cannot be registered via Steam???

All the Crusader Kings II items register on Steam. Amazon's Download/Online Game Code labels are utterly meaningless.

Grief.exe

Overstays. If a game is short, it'll at least open it up to a lot of replayability. Max Payne 2 is one of my favourite games, and its brisk pacing helps with that. More games need to cut the fat, but at the same time I don't think most games should be $60.

Agreed.

Even great games that I have played recently like System Shock 2, Mario & Luigi: SS, and Metroid Prime.

All of these games overstay their welcome and sour the experience.
The latter two add on these horrible backtracking portions just to extend the length of the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Damn, I might buy those. Even if they go 75% on Steam Summer Sale (which is getting harder and harder each year), they won't be that low, even with the local price difference.

Oh god fucking dammit, I already own the games as well!

Fucking Square Enix puts everything for 75% off every 2 months, doesn't it?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Vodh

Dammit, missed the sale on Unreal pack by about a minute. Oh well, that's one impulse purchase avoided, I guess.

Deques

New weeklong deals at Steam
  • Greed - 75%
  • Waking Mars - 75%
  • Papo & Yo - 33%
  • They Bleed Pixels - 66%
  • The Guild 2 - 75%
  • Angry Birds Space - 66%
  • The Adventures of Shuggy - 75%
  • Flatout Complete - 75%
  • Worms Ultimate Mayhem - 40% or 66% for the Deluxe Edition
  • Tower Wars - 40% off

Tomodachi

New weeklong deals at Steam
  • Greed - 75%
  • Waking Mars - 75%
  • Papo & Yo - 33%
  • They Bleed Pixels - 66%
  • The Guild 2 - 75%
  • Angry Birds Space - 66%
  • The Adventures of Shuggy - 75%
  • Flatout Complete - 75%
  • Worms Ultimate Mayhem - 40% or 66% for the Deluxe Edition
  • Tower Wars - 40% off
Woah, best weeklong deals in a while ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom